PDA

View Full Version : Why Less Hype in 2012 Is Better for Landry Jones and Company

marfacowboy
6/11/2012, 12:00 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/740/342/136283105_crop_650x440.jpg?1339343875

From Bleacher Report

Oh, what a difference a year makes.

This time 12 months ago, the Oklahoma Sooners were a near unanimous favorite to win the BCS national championship. Add to that the tragic passing of beloved teammate Austin Box, and the pressure to win hadn't been this high in years.

To say the Sooners fell short of that hype last season would be a gross understatement. After getting out-gunned by Texas Tech and Baylor, in-state rivals Oklahoma State publicly humiliated the crimson and cream—the icing the cake for head coach Bob Stoops' most dramatically underwhelming season.

Was it pressure that caused the collapse? What about coaching? Lack of talent? Wasn't it all Javon Harris' fault?!

<snip>

Funny thing is, this year's squad is arguably better than last year. The offensive line is stronger, the defense has been simplified and there has been much-needed turnover at wide receiver. Many of their key players—namely Landry Jones, Tony Jefferson and Kenny Stills—have another year under their belt and have the bitter taste lingering in their mouths from last season.

So with things back to normal in Norman and another top squad on the field, I actually expect them to have a much better season than last year. They have a great chance to win the conference and be in the discussion for the BCS title at year's end.

The rest is here (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1215952-oklahoma-football-why-less-hype-in-2012-is-better-for-landry-jones-and-company).

goingoneight
6/11/2012, 12:34 AM
Not much we haven't already talked about. Just kind of have to see where this team can go. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect even against hapless UTEP. Are we going to go out there and run the offense we saw at the end of last year? If we do, we could realistically be 2-2 going into Dallas. This long before WVU, ND and TCU. There is a pretty decent talent pool in every area of the team. It's just all questionable at this point.

Negative Nancy sez:
Landry Jones is a great QB, but until guys around him step up their game, he can't be expected to do much better than he did a year ago.

Whaley is a question mark. If he's healthy, how long does he last and how confidently does he play with nightmares of that injury going through his mind everytime he gets the ball?

Who besides Roy Finch can stay upright with the ball in their hands?

Who can consistently threaten opposing defenses? That is a huge factor in EVERY quarterback's success story.

It seems like it's been five years or more even since OU's run game was anything more than window-dressing to a high-powered spread passing attack. Do we literally have to have Blake Bell on the field at all times to pick up critical yards that receivers and backs can't?

Oh, and that defense may have talent and may have a very welcomed coaching change amongst angry fans... but just about everything is unproven as we speak.

Sunshine pumper sez:

Mike Stoops will field a top 15 defense. How can he not with veteran DL, LBs and starpower in the secondary?

The offense has a veteran OL, senior QB, more experienced play-caller and a five-star recruiting haul at WR. That = unstoppable!111!!1

Michael Hunnicutt > Jimmy Stevens. He will NEVER, EVER miss a FG we need (see: Texas Tech game 2011).

Nobody will get injured and the coordinators will make the perfect play call EVERY TIME OUT.

Teams will see that paperclip on OUr helmets and curl up in the fetal position, paving the way to Miami!

agoo758
6/11/2012, 02:12 AM
In before "OMFG not bleacher report!"

although I don't disagree.

marfacowboy
6/11/2012, 06:37 AM
I think Stills will step it up, although I suppose you can never be sure. I still worry about our linebackers, but I think you'll see much improved play from the defense. It's logical they'd play better without all the pressure. Metoyer is going to be counted on, that's for sure.

BoulderSooner79
6/11/2012, 01:43 PM
It seems like it's been five years or more even since OU's run game was anything more than window-dressing to a high-powered spread passing attack.

I disagree. OUr running attack was very effective last season in all games with Whaley healthy. Conversely, Whaley didn't play in the 3 losses. But as you mention, Whaley's health is a question mark and wouldn't it be nice if we could move the sticks more consistantly with other backs?

C&CDean
6/11/2012, 02:30 PM
I think Stills will step it up, although I suppose you can never be sure. I still worry about our linebackers, but I think you'll see much improved play from the defense. It's logical they'd play better without all the pressure. Metoyer is going to be counted on, that's for sure.

Without what pressure? There'll be plenty of pressure this year too. We expect them to hold the opposing team to negative yardage on every play. When they don't, some of us/you freak the **** out and wanna fire the DC. If there isn't drastic improvement on defense, the local yokel's will be wailing for Mike Stoops' head. Bank on it.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 02:52 PM
Without what pressure? There'll be plenty of pressure this year too. We expect them to hold the opposing team to negative yardage on every play. When they don't, some of us/you freak the **** out and wanna fire the DC. If there isn't drastic improvement on defense, the local yokel's will be wailing for Mike Stoops' head. Bank on it.

The ironic part is that those that will yell "Furrr Mike!" are the same one that yelled "Furr Venebulzz!" for the past few years. It's a lose/lose situation.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/19/2012, 08:05 AM

I won't. I will just blame it on it being Brent Venables recruits and how they were permanently corrupted by his coaching from previous years!

htownsooner7
6/19/2012, 10:48 AM
Okay, I'll bite. Less hype is better because he has shown a strange propensity to make game changing mistakes and without the hype he is less likely to be viewed as an underachiever?

LVSOONER15
6/19/2012, 11:12 AM
Geez I wish the season was here. Let's play some damn football already!

Jason White's Third Knee
6/19/2012, 03:24 PM
From what I remember we went 10-3. Not a bad year. There were glaring problems like no running back, dropped passes, porous defense. Just wasn't the year. Correct these things and we have a shot to win the biggie.

TT was fluky. Baylor was fluky. OSU got their one out of every eight years win (or whatever it is). It happens. We all know that Baylor and OSU had their best teams in 30 years. We should be fine.

BBQ Man
6/20/2012, 02:58 PM
How much less hype can there be when OU is one of the favorites to win national championship?

Curly Bill
6/20/2012, 05:16 PM
I won't. I will just blame it on it being Brent Venables recruits and how they were permanently corrupted by his coaching from previous years!

I like the way you think!