PDA

View Full Version : According to Ms. J. S. at the Sooner Club

MamaMia
6/10/2012, 02:17 PM
Notre Dame asked for more than their alloted 4000 tickets, so it doesn't matter how many points you have, there will be no extra Notre Dame ticket requests granted.

yermom
6/10/2012, 02:35 PM
all i know is that i was denied...

i'm pretty low on the list though. i didn't get TCU tickets either

Sooner_Havok
6/10/2012, 02:39 PM
The letter I got w/ my season tickets pretty much said "No single game tickets for Notre Dame will be sold."

LVSOONER15
6/10/2012, 02:44 PM
Well that sucks.

MamaMia
6/10/2012, 03:50 PM
I friend I grew up with is buying 4 from Notre Dame. Shes an alum but doesn't have Notre Dame season tickets, so I don't know how they're passing these out. She offered to sell me her 4 for some unGodly amount of money, so my Sooner friends who wanted me to get them seats will have to take their chances at the gates.

MamaMia
6/10/2012, 04:06 PM
Do you all think there will be more than 4000 Sooners at the OU/Domer game in Indiana? I imagine they will reciprocate, but personally I don't see the reason behind deviating away from the usual 4000 ticket allotment. Its not as if we have some fondness for Notre Dame that we would jimmy around with the benefits of a home field advantage. Of course we will still have that home field advantage this year but why give them more tickets when there are plenty for sale online?

yukonsooner
6/10/2012, 04:43 PM
We didn't get ND or TCU tickets either, but we too are pretty low on the points board. We did, however, get 4 for WVA. We can't go, but have Sooner relatives on the east coast that will be attending. If anyone is interested, our son finally got season tickets, but plans on moving out of state before the season starts. He is wanting to sell the tickets for the cost of his donation, tickets, and handling. The total is $1376.

Lott's Bandana
6/10/2012, 04:50 PM
We didn't get ND or TCU tickets either, but we too are pretty low on the points board. We did, however, get 4 for WVA. We can't go, but have Sooner relatives on the east coast that will be attending. If anyone is interested, our son finally got season tickets, but plans on moving out of state before the season starts. He is wanting to sell the tickets for the cost of his donation, tickets, and handling. The total is $1376.

I may have a buyer. Message me with the location, or just post where the seats are?

nativesooner
6/10/2012, 05:22 PM
Wow... I should sell my 4 extras for more than face then huh?

8timechamps
6/10/2012, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I don't understand that either. Maybe it was an incentive built into the contract, and ND will reciprocate next year. Both fan bases travel well, so maybe they worked out a deal. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

MamaMia
6/10/2012, 10:44 PM
Wow... I should sell my 4 extras for more than face then huh? Nobody is getting any "extras" unless you're a domer. If you want to sell any Notre Dame tickets that would be included in your season tickets then yeah, they will be expensive.

nativesooner
6/11/2012, 10:16 AM
Nobody is getting any "extras" unless you're a domer. If you want to sell any Notre Dame tickets that would be included in your season tickets then yeah, they will be expensive.

I didn't "request" extras Mama... have 2 to keep, and 4 to sell. How much are you selling yours for?

nativesooner
6/11/2012, 10:18 AM
I do know a local doc (and ND alum) that called South Bend and asked for 2 and got them for face. No season tickets, no huge donation. Guess like everywhere, it's who you know.

badger
6/11/2012, 11:42 AM
I do know a local doc (and ND alum) that called South Bend and asked for 2 and got them for face. No season tickets, no huge donation. Guess like everywhere, it's who you know.

I decided to amuse everyone here and call up their ticket office. It's (574) 631-7356 if you would like to prank call :D

Anyways, the very nice lady (named Rachel) said that all of their ticket allotment were to be sold to alumni through a lottery and that there would be no public sale of Oklahoma/Notre Dame tickets. She recommended that I contact the OU ticket office... my guess is that's just another amusing phone call to make, that will result in no tickets or ticket getting info.

So, withdraw several hundred from the ATM on gameday or Stubhub it up if you want to go. I personally don't care. They're not even going to be that good this year and it should be a fairly easy win against a name opponent, similar to us beating the U Thug Canes a few years ago.

badger
6/11/2012, 11:46 AM
PS: Here's Stubhub info:

Linky (http://www.stubhub.com/ou-football-tickets/oklahoma-vs-notre-dame-10-27-2012-4017888/)

I personally do not expect tickets to be $250 (except from the professional scalpers) outside the gates on gameday, except for the best tickets. My estimate is $125 to $150 each for upstairs and endzone.

nativesooner
6/11/2012, 12:05 PM

Linky (http://www.stubhub.com/ou-football-tickets/oklahoma-vs-notre-dame-10-27-2012-4017888/)

I personally do not expect tickets to be $250 (except from the professional scalpers) outside the gates on gameday, except for the best tickets. My estimate is $125 to $150 each for upstairs and endzone.

yeah.... I think by game day those that were going to sell the farm for tix would have already done so. I imagine folks outside will ask around $250 per, but would "take a loss" and accept $150 per, even though face is $100 per. Keep in mind that even if they suck, the GD fans will make the trip. The doc I know even said that they "should win" against us. I said "you do know it's in Norman right?" lol! Of course he followed with "TCU and Tech proved it can be done" :(

MamaMia
6/11/2012, 12:21 PM
I didn't "request" extras Mama... have 2 to keep, and 4 to sell. How much are you selling yours for? I did sell my other 2 extras that are 20 'something' rows up on the 42 for face plus the donation percentage to a very loyal fellow Sooner, but I'm keeping 2 sets of my club seats. We wouldn't miss that game for the world. :)

I think OUs loyalties should be to Sooner fans, not Domer fans. Even if Notre Dame is giving us more than the usual 4000 allotment as well, you cant convince me that a game ticket to see us play them in Indiana is anywhere near what a seat to see us play them at Owen Field is worth.

Lott's Bandana
6/11/2012, 12:22 PM
I have a bad history with Stubhub...when they first started out they began selling on eBay. They used a computer to do all their transactions and when I purchased a pair of San Jose Sharks tickets back in 2003, Stubhub gave me my only negative feedback in 13 years of my eBay account. The computer gave me bad feedback at midnight of the day I bought the tickets because I hadn't paid yet. It was automatic. Stubhub apologized but claimed they couldn't do anything about it.

Still pisses me off.

Now I look at their system and think it is slimey the way the tickets are listed "per ticket" and if you click on a pair or select "2" it remains "per ticket" until you checkout. Deceiving to the people that aren't paying attention and are simply excited about getting tickets. Sure, caveat emptor, but if you select "2" the full price of both tickets should then show on the screen, not the single ticket price.

**** Stubhub.

badger
6/11/2012, 12:28 PM
Of course he followed with "TCU and Tech proved it can be done" :(

Domers must be praying that (a) our starting quarterback is suddenly replaced by a boneheaded freshman or (b) the game is lightning delayed for hours.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 03:13 PM
Here's who ND plays before their trip to Norman:

Navy
Purdue
@ Michigan State
Michigan
Miami
Stanford
BYU

There is a real change they'll be bringing a 3-4 team to Norman. I don't care who they are, paying $150+ a ticket, to watch a mediocre team play in Norman is nuts.

Phil
6/11/2012, 03:24 PM
Even I got denied TCU tickets, which was unbelievable to me. Apparently you had to have 324 priority points, and I was 17 short. Only the second time in 20 years the OU ticket office has denied me tickets to a road game. I'm sure I'll be able to scrounge some up, though.

Tear Down This Wall
6/11/2012, 03:36 PM
Those plastic dick chisels should get 4,000 tickets and not one ticket more! Why in the world would the Sooners athletic department give them more when there are plenty of willing buyers among the season ticket holding faithful?

Chuck Bao
6/11/2012, 05:43 PM
I don't have tix to either the Notre Dame or TCU games, but I'm pretty sure that I'll somehow find tix to both.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 07:39 PM
Even I got denied TCU tickets, which was unbelievable to me. Apparently you had to have 324 priority points, and I was 17 short. Only the second time in 20 years the OU ticket office has denied me tickets to a road game. I'm sure I'll be able to scrounge some up, though.

Planning to go to that game without tix in hand. Kinda hoping that frog aggie has a disappointing season so I can find tix for a reasonable rate.

MamaMia
6/11/2012, 09:16 PM
I don't have tix to either the Notre Dame or TCU games, but I'm pretty sure that I'll somehow find tix to both. No Sooner fan should have to play second fiddle to Notre Dame fans when trying to get tickets to that game, which is going to be a home game played in our own stadium. There are going to be Sooner fans paying well over face value online from Domer fans who inadvertently got tickets from our athletic department due to the fact that they allowed them to have more than their allotment. We shouldn't be getting letters from the OU telling us that we cant have any extra OU/Notre Dame tickets because they gave them ALL to Notre Dame.

Phil
6/11/2012, 09:37 PM
No Sooner fan should have to play second fiddle to Notre Dame fans when trying to get tickets to that game, which is going to be a home game played in our own stadium. There are going to be Sooner fans paying well over face value online from Domer fans who inadvertently got tickets from our athletic department due to the fact that they allowed them to have more than their allotment. We shouldn't be getting letters from the OU telling us that we cant have any extra OU/Notre Dame tickets because they gave them ALL to Notre Dame.

Well, here's the thing. It's a non-conference game, which means their allotment is whatever we agreed to give them in the contract to play the game. I don't know what that number is, but I can guarantee it's the same number of tickets they will give us when we make the return trip covered by the same contract. As the ticket forms said, the single game tickets come from returns from the opposing team, and ND isn't going to have any. I don't have an issue with it.

MamaMia
6/11/2012, 10:13 PM
Well, here's the thing. It's a non-conference game, which means their allotment is whatever we agreed to give them in the contract to play the game. I don't know what that number is, but I can guarantee it's the same number of tickets they will give us when we make the return trip covered by the same contract. As the ticket forms said, the single game tickets come from returns from the opposing team, and ND isn't going to have any. I don't have an issue with it. So, you're saying that they would not have agreed to play a home and home if we didn't give them all of our extra tickets?

Like I said before, I have no doubt that they're going to give us the same amount. Thats not an OU away game I would travel all that way to and I doubt we will even sell 4000 to that game, which is the customary amount, conference game or not. We agreed to a home and home. That should have been good enough. Screwing our own fans out of home game tickets should never be part of any deal, if that was the case. No way is a ticket to an OU game at Notre Dame worth as much as a ticket to that game right here at home. Look online. They're already selling the tickets we gave them in the visitor sections for $250.00 a pop. No Sooner fan should have to pay a Notre Dame fan for a ticket to one of our own home games.

badger
6/12/2012, 11:27 AM
With all these thoughts on the resale market, question for you season ticket holders:

Do you believe that most seasons, donation for priority points included, that you would be able to break even if you sold your tickets on the secondary market?

I ask because it seems like I hardly ever pay "face value" (some of those games, the Ball States and the Chattanoogas, you should call that "farce value" hehe) to scalp tickets.

Scott D
6/12/2012, 11:55 AM
So, you're saying that they would not have agreed to play a home and home if we didn't give them all of our extra tickets?

They're already selling the tickets we gave them in the visitor sections for $250.00 a pop. No Sooner fan should have to pay a Notre Dame fan for a ticket to one of our own home games.

There'll probably be a lot more tickets available at a cheaper rate in the two weeks leading up to the game.

TAFBSooner
6/12/2012, 12:05 PM
Do you believe that most seasons, donation . . . included, that you would be able to break even if you sold your tickets on the secondary market?

Without tu tickets, no.
Including tu tickets, pretty close.
Including tu before the Cotton Bowl expansion, yes.

soonerloyal
6/12/2012, 12:07 PM
I friend I grew up with is buying 4 from Notre Dame...She offered to sell me her 4 for some unGodly amount of money, so...

Damn, Mama. Pretty harsh treatment from a lifelong friend. :disturbed:

badger
6/12/2012, 12:55 PM
Including tu before the Cotton Bowl expansion, yes.

Has the expansion really made that much of a difference in ticket resale price? If so, what's the estimated difference?

And... no offense to Texas (because they have no offense thanks to their lack of quarterback, hehe), but hasn't Texas sucking impacted ticket prices to RRS more than the expansion, really?

yermom
6/12/2012, 01:14 PM
i've just gotten them from OU since the expansion, so i haven't had to pay much attention to the resale market

Phil
6/12/2012, 04:30 PM
So, you're saying that they would not have agreed to play a home and home if we didn't give them all of our extra tickets?

Like I said before, I have no doubt that they're going to give us the same amount. Thats not an OU away game I would travel all that way to and I doubt we will even sell 4000 to that game, which is the customary amount, conference game or not. We agreed to a home and home. That should have been good enough. Screwing our own fans out of home game tickets should never be part of any deal, if that was the case. No way is a ticket to an OU game at Notre Dame worth as much as a ticket to that game right here at home. Look online. They're already selling the tickets we gave them in the visitor sections for $250.00 a pop. No Sooner fan should have to pay a Notre Dame fan for a ticket to one of our own home games.

Mama, you're missing the point. There aren't any "extra" tickets to OU home games. They are all allocated either to existing season ticket holders or the visiting team. When there are additional single game tickets available, it is only because the opposing school either didn't even want their whole allotment or they returned some of them. ND isn't returning any. We didn't give them our "extra" tickets. They aren't giving back what would be the "extra" tickets because they're using them all.

nativesooner
6/12/2012, 07:40 PM
And... no offense to Texas (because they have no offense thanks to their lack of quarterback, hehe), but hasn't Texas sucking impacted ticket prices to RRS more than the expansion, really?

That really only affects the orange side... The OU side has been pretty steady, even when we had Rhett Blomar at the helm... While some might say "well Texas is 1 - 3 so I'm not going!" others will say "I want to be able to go watch a guaranteed butt kickin!"

nativesooner
6/12/2012, 07:46 PM
With all these thoughts on the resale market, question for you season ticket holders:

Do you believe that most seasons, donation for priority points included, that you would be able to break even if you sold your tickets on the secondary market?

I ask because it seems like I hardly ever pay "face value" (some of those games, the Ball States and the Chattanoogas, you should call that "farce value" hehe) to scalp tickets.

If you sell the season (no Texas) as a whole it's doable.... individually pretty tough, even on ebay... If you throw in Texas you would...

MamaMia
6/13/2012, 12:52 AM
If you sell the season (no Texas) as a whole it's doable.... individually pretty tough, even on ebay... If you throw in Texas you would...Where your seats are located make a difference in selling season tickets as well.

badger
6/13/2012, 01:34 PM
Where your seats are located make a difference in selling season tickets as well.

Ja... but if you're selling a $10,000 season ticket as opposed to a $1,000 one, wouldn't in be harder to break even?

I'm not being smart arse-ish, I'm genuinely asking. I've never had season tickets, the 1k or the 10k variety.

nativesooner
6/13/2012, 01:57 PM
The tickets cost the same... it's the donation that's makes it more. If you donate 10k though, it would be harder to get your $$ than if you donated 1k.

badger
6/13/2012, 04:11 PM
The tickets cost the same... it's the donation that's makes it more. If you donate 10k though, it would be harder to get your $$ than if you donated 1k.

Seriously? Face value is the same for a 50-yard-line ticket as a nosebleed endzone seat? Wow. Had no idea.

Sooner24
6/13/2012, 04:19 PM

I bet your wrong.

MamaMia
7/25/2012, 06:11 PM
Mama, you're missing the point. There aren't any "extra" tickets to OU home games. They are all allocated either to existing season ticket holders or the visiting team. When there are additional single game tickets available, it is only because the opposing school either didn't even want their whole allotment or they returned some of them. ND isn't returning any. We didn't give them our "extra" tickets. They aren't giving back what would be the "extra" tickets because they're using them all.As a season ticket holder, every year I get a form with the home game schedule on it and to the right there is a space that I fill in for however many extra tickets I want to any of those home games, so if there are no extra tickets then why are they sending me a form asking me how many of them I want Phil? Granted, sometimes I will ask for more than I am able to receive. I asked for 6 extra oSu tickets a few years back but only got 4. They have limits sometimes.

Sooner24
7/25/2012, 10:44 PM
Because when they mail that out they don't know how many tickets the visiting team is going to return. ND used all of theirs but when they mailed the form out they didn't know that.

MamaMia
7/26/2012, 03:01 AM
Because when they mail that out they don't know how many tickets the visiting team is going to return. ND used all of theirs but when they mailed the form out they didn't know that.This year Notre Dame wasn't even on the form.

Sooner24
7/26/2012, 08:14 AM
This year Notre Dame wasn't even on the form.

I didn't even notice when I renewed my tickets but I guess they already knew ND was going to use thier full allotment.

nativesooner
7/26/2012, 01:03 PM
Because when they mail that out they don't know how many tickets the visiting team is going to return. ND used all of theirs but when they mailed the form out they didn't know that.

bingo!

nativesooner
7/26/2012, 01:06 PM
Actually, ND WAS on the renewal form. It seems that a TON of people requested them with their renewal but no one got them because ND wanted all of their allotment... Or at least no one on these boards anyway.

Tear Down This Wall
7/26/2012, 01:11 PM
If you go to your online account, it tells you which games are already sold out. Easy-peasy.

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB&linkID=ou&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

So fah, only Notre Dame is sold out. Extry tickets should be available to all other home games. Yes...including Florida A&M, fellas. Can't believe we're going to be sitting through that crap bag of a game after a weekend in El Paso. Then, a freakin' bye week.

We have to wait until September 22nd to see a real OU football game this season. Crazy.

badger
7/26/2012, 01:18 PM
As much as I love Sooner fooseball, the costs associated with attending games in person give me more reason to find an air conditioned house with a big screen TV to watch the game at instead. All of this expanding TV revenue is probably not going to result in cheaper ticket prices. It's probably mean that it's only a matter of time before the highest paid college coach's annual salary is close to the highest paid NFL player's salary. It's probably also only a matter of time before OU jumps on the "crappy non-conference home game" bandwagon in the name of "everyone else does it."

So, enjoy these big time non-conference matchups like Domer Noter while you can. At least OU's still up for these type of games outside the conference.

Tear Down This Wall
7/26/2012, 02:17 PM
As much as I love Sooner fooseball, the costs associated with attending games in person give me more reason to find an air conditioned house with a big screen TV to watch the game at instead. All of this expanding TV revenue is probably not going to result in cheaper ticket prices. It's probably mean that it's only a matter of time before the highest paid college coach's annual salary is close to the highest paid NFL player's salary. It's probably also only a matter of time before OU jumps on the "crappy non-conference home game" bandwagon in the name of "everyone else does it."

So, enjoy these big time non-conference matchups like Domer Noter while you can. At least OU's still up for these type of games outside the conference.

We actually have good home games soon with Tennessee, Ohio State, and LSU. We also have Tulsa, a game I'm never crazy about.

I do like that we have some dates open in the future: http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/oklahoma_future.htm

Looks like 2013 might include ULM (formerly Louisiana-Monroe). As much as I hated the Blake years, I did like the array of opponents Donnie Duncan and Steve Owens had set up for us - Northwestern, Cal, Syracuse, Louisville, San Diego State, Notre Dame.

I really do prefer playing schools from conference of (supposedly) equal strength (Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC, ACC) as opposed to dipping down into the mid-majors.

The cost of the tickets for an OU is still reasonable compared to other big schools. As a longtime season ticket holders, though, we do prefer quality games over gimmies. We don't really learn anything about the team when it steamrolls the likes of Florida A&M, Tulsa, and ULM...other than we have a better team, which everyone knew before the game.

If Bob and Joe are afraid of too many competitive games in one season, at least schedule the midrange schools of the better conferences - Illinois, Arizona State (series signed by Steve Owen in the 90s for the 2000s, but cancelled by Joe and Bob), Mississippi State, Wake Forest, etc.

You know, something different. Slapping the sh*t out of the Tulsas and North Texas' of the world is boring. If not from major conferences, at least somewhere interesting to visit, i.e. San Diego State.

badger
7/26/2012, 02:25 PM
Wall man, it might not be OU's decision to cancel those prime series. It takes two to tango and lately, there have been a lot of dropsies that have nothing to do with Landry's receivers (doh doh doh NO I DID NOT just make a funny at the expense of our "playmakers" arrrrgggggh)

You mention Ohio State. Guess who just had a home-and-home series dropped for 2020-21. (http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/05/ohio-state-georgia-cancel-2020-21-home-and-home-football-series/)

You also mention Rocky Top. Those guys also dropped a 2018-19 scheduled home and home. (http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/11/22/ohio-state-tennessee-series-canceled.html) And that was against... Ohio State.

So, this conference reallignment crap has its casualties and it seems that it's now "Schedule like an SEC team for your non-confernece season" thanks to it. Big time college football needs at least 7 home games, and you're not going to get that with expanded conferences, because those expanded conferences (or in our case, smaller) demand larger in-confernece schedules... and you can't demand (as much as we would like to) that the Baylors, Iowa States and TCUs play you in Norman every year.

MamaMia
7/28/2012, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Sooner24

bingo!They always have a certain amount of extra seats to offer for sale to season ticket holders before they know how many of the customary 4000 allotment will be used by the visiting team. When they know how many extras of that amount are returned by the visiting team, they then put those up for sale. this year Notre Dame was not an option.

Actually, ND WAS on the renewal form It seems that a TON of people requested them with their renewal but no one got t.hem because ND wanted all of their allotment... Or at least no one on these boards anyway.Yes Notre Dame was on the RENEWAL form for season tickets holders. Season ticket holders will have their seats for Notre Dame in their season ticket package, however the option for additional Notre Dame seats was not on the form. They included in the envelope, a letter explaining that no additional Notre Dame tickets will be sold to OU Season tickets holders or Sooner fans by the University of Oklahoma because they were honoring a request made by the Notre Dame AD for additional tickets over the usual 4000 seat amount. When I received that letter I called. It was explained to me that the reason was that Notre Dame wanted as many as they could get and would meet that amount for when we play them in their stadium.

Sooner24
7/28/2012, 02:06 PM
I renew three different sets of season tickets and after just checking ND was listed on all three to request additional seats and no note stating there would be no extras.

MamaMia
7/29/2012, 03:31 PM
I renew three different sets of season tickets and after just checking ND was listed on all three to request additional seats and no note stating there would be no extras.I would take a photo of mine without Notre Dame on it if I hadn't sent it in. I would be interested in seeing what they sent to you though, because I never got any form offering me Notre Dame tickets.

Are the 3 sets you renew in your name?

StoopTroup
7/29/2012, 08:21 PM
You should sue Mama.

MamaMia
7/30/2012, 03:13 AM
You should sue Mama.Sue me for what?

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2012, 11:31 AM
So, withdraw several hundred from the ATM on gameday or Stubhub it up if you want to go. I personally don't care. They're not even going to be that good this year and it should be a fairly easy win against a name opponent, similar to us beating the U Thug Canes a few years ago.

oops

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2012, 11:34 AM

oops #2

;)

badger
10/23/2012, 11:51 AM
I decided to amuse everyone here and call up their ticket office. It's (574) 631-7356 if you would like to prank call :D

Anyways, the very nice lady (named Rachel) said that all of their ticket allotment were to be sold to alumni through a lottery and that there would be no public sale of Oklahoma/Notre Dame tickets. She recommended that I contact the OU ticket office... my guess is that's just another amusing phone call to make, that will result in no tickets or ticket getting info.

I still stand by this statement, regardless of what their current record is. The BYU game last week supports my offseason argument :)

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2012, 12:03 PM
I'm sure we all said things in the offseason that if drug back up would be wildly incorrect.

I just happened to find two of your. :)

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 12:08 PM
I would hate for ND Fans to come down here and get themselves arrested.

OUr NO TOLERANCE SCALPING POLICY is so strict that even walking around in Norman with your hand in the air will get you tazered.

It's sad our State is so strict but the LAW is the LAW!

MamaMia
10/23/2012, 12:46 PM
I thought I remembered them getting too many tickets to suit me. :D

HateTheWhorns
10/23/2012, 04:12 PM
Do you all think there will be more than 4000 Sooners at the OU/Domer game in Indiana? I imagine they will reciprocate, but personally I don't see the reason behind deviating away from the usual 4000 ticket allotment. Its not as if we have some fondness for Notre Dame that we would jimmy around with the benefits of a home field advantage. Of course we will still have that home field advantage this year but why give them more tickets when there are plenty for sale online?

You have to remember that this series was negotiated back in the mid-1990s when OU was down and did not have too many bargaining chips. The original deal was ND would come to Norman if OU would come to ND twice. We made our initial trip in 1999 and then ND subsequently negotiated to push the final two games back to 2012 and 2013. My guess is that when this deal was initially struck, ND got whatever they wanted (more visitor tickets than the normal allotment, two home games to our one, etc.)

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2012, 04:58 PM
You have to remember that this series was negotiated back in the mid-1990s when OU was down and did not have too many bargaining chips. The original deal was ND would come to Norman if OU would come to ND twice. We made our initial trip in 1999 and then ND subsequently negotiated to push the final two games back to 2012 and 2013. My guess is that when this deal was initially struck, ND got whatever they wanted (more visitor tickets than the normal allotment, two home games to our one, etc.)

Not Really...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=070727_2__Afte r31135

OU- Notre Dame football series tentatively set for 2012, 2013

BY John E. Hoover, World Sports Writer
Friday, July 27, 2007
7/27/2007 4:01:44 PM

After almost a decade of wrangling over a date, Oklahoma and Notre Dame have come to an agreement to play football.

The Sooners and Fighting Irish are tentatively scheduled to meet at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in 2012 and Notre Dame Stadium in 2013, Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White revealed last week.

However, a formal contract still hasn't been signed, and likely won't be for a few years, said Notre Dame senior associate athletic director John Heisler.

"We have had enough of a scramble just trying to figure out the years and the dates," Heisler said.

In recent years, OU athletic director Joe Castiglione has said that the schools had a verbal agreement for a series. Castiglione said in 2004 that when he got to OU, he came across a letter of agreement, signed by both schools, that laid out discussions for a future home-and-home series.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione told the Tulsa World in an e-mail Friday that, "We don't release anything until we have a signed contract." OU senior associate athletic director of communications Kenny Mossman confirmed in an e-mail to the World that "an agreement is in the works." Even though dates are set for the series, the contracts aren't yet finalized, because Notre Dame prefers not to sign contracts until a series draws closer.

"There's no particular reason to do a full-fledged contract until you get closer because by the time you get there, some of the language is going to be outmoded anyway," said Heisler. "We've been doing contracts like 2-3 years out anyway."

White was hired in 2000, but the schools have been trying to strike a deal since before Castiglione was hired at OU in 1998 – the year prior to the teams' last meeting in 1999.

Castiglione said in a 2004 interview that he had been working hard to add the Fighting Irish to OU's growing list of non-conference challenges. The Sooners played Oregon in 2004, Washington in '05, at Oregon in '06, host Miami this season, visit Washington in 2008 and travel to Miami in 2009. There are also home-and-home series set up with Florida State in 2010 and 2011, Tennessee in 2014 and 2015, and LSU in 2018 and 2019.

But because of the history of the two programs – Notre Dame has 10 national championships, Oklahoma has seven – the OU-Notre Dame series is viewed nationally as something special. Still, the schools couldn't settle on a date until recently.

Among Notre Dame's scheduling challenges, Heisler said, was discussion of entering the Big East Conference. UND is a Big East member in basketball and other sports, but fiercely maintains its independent status in football.

Heisler said Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese asked Notre Dame for some help in scheduling non-conference football games. The Irish already had long-time regional rivals in the Big Ten Conference, as well as series with USC, Stanford and Navy.

"We finally said, 'Are we going to be independent, are we going to join a league?' " Heisler recalled. "'Let's make that decision and then schedule that way.' "

White was in Daphne, Ala., last Friday to speak at the United States Sports Academy graduation ceremony. White was quoted in Saturday's Mobile Register that the Fighting Irish would take a two-year break from its Big Ten Conference rivals, in a sense replacing Michigan with Oklahoma and Michigan State with Arizona State.

Notre Dame last week announced plans to play Washington in San Antonio and an unnamed opponent in Orlando, Fla.

OU and Notre Dame have met nine times, and the Irish have won eight. Eight of the meetings came between 1952 and 1968. OU beat Notre Dame 40-0 in South Bend, Ind., in 1956. But the Irish one-upped the Sooners in Norman the next year, ending OU's NCAA-record 47-game winning streak with a 7-0 victory at Owen Field.

The previous OU-Notre Dame contest was OU coach Bob Stoops' fourth game as the Sooners' coach. OU led 30-14 in that game but the Irish overpowered the Sooners late in a 34-30 victory in South Bend, handing Stoops his first loss as head coach.