PDA

View Full Version : Inside Linebacker, Mastrogiovanni (6' 2", 225 lbs) visits Norman

8timechamps
6/9/2012, 04:13 PM
Dallas ILB Jordan Mastrogiovanni made an unofficial visit to Norman yesterday. According to folks present, the visit went exceptionally well. Mastrogiovanni was a big time Venables recruit, and fell through the cracks a little when BV left. Tim Kish worked his way back to Jordan, and made an official offer back in May. With the exception of a commitment, the visit went as well as everyone at OU had hoped.

Word on Mastrogiovanni's commitment should come soon. This would be a very important pick-up for 2013, as we are in need of LBs.

MountainOkie
6/11/2012, 09:51 AM
Mastrogiovanni--good luck fitting that name on the back of a jersey.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 02:50 PM
Reminds me of Miggliazzo...just 4 more letters :D

OU_Sooners75
6/11/2012, 04:54 PM
He is a Sooner...well, not yet, but I would be very shocked if he does not commit to Oklahoma!

KantoSooner
6/12/2012, 08:44 AM
And your reasoning/source is.....?

picasso
6/12/2012, 07:38 PM
Reminds me of Miggliazzo...just 4 more letters :D
Yes!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/12/2012, 07:40 PM
Rivals rates him as #22 LB.

Scout calls him #16: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&sFirstName=&sLastName=Mastrogiovanni+&yr=2013

Herr Scholz
6/13/2012, 08:56 AM
You're going to make our Aggies very sad if you take this guy. They've been counting on him for a while.

badger
6/13/2012, 09:09 AM
You're going to make our Aggies very sad if you take this guy. They've been counting on him for a while.

As consolidation, we'll give them Kameel Jackson :rcmad:

http://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/kameel-jackson-tweet.png

Widescreen
6/13/2012, 09:28 AM
I hope he commits to the aggies and then signs with us on signing day to give them Corey Nelson flashbacks.

marfacowboy
6/13/2012, 09:59 AM
At 6'2'' 225 today, he'll have a chance. I think our linebackers are too small. Wort is 6'0 and listed at 229. He's probably 235 or so now, but C.J. Mosley at Alabama is 6'2"/240. That may not seem like a lot, but it is. Mosley is faster, too.
If you're going to play Alabama and LSU, you have to have big, fast linebackers and some monsters on the front. Our skill guys and backs are as good, but it's the defensive front and LB's that win championships. Miami proved that.

6/13/2012, 11:53 AM
You're going to make our Aggies very sad if you take this guy. They've been counting on him for a while.Is Lassie Aggy acquiring some raci*l overtones?

Herr Scholz
6/13/2012, 03:41 PM
That went over my head, Rush.

6/13/2012, 03:57 PM
That went over my head, Rush.I'm sure. Very touchy subject for all. I can understand that you don't want to postulate about it.

OU_Sooners75
6/13/2012, 07:10 PM
Chans Cox to ASU, Jordan Mastrowhatever to OU....Jordan not official, but a decision will likely come in the next week or two.

picasso
6/13/2012, 11:05 PM
At 6'2'' 225 today, he'll have a chance. I think our linebackers are too small. Wort is 6'0 and listed at 229. He's probably 235 or so now, but C.J. Mosley at Alabama is 6'2"/240. That may not seem like a lot, but it is. Mosley is faster, too.
If you're going to play Alabama and LSU, you have to have big, fast linebackers and some monsters on the front. Our skill guys and backs are as good, but it's the defensive front and LB's that win championships. Miami proved that.
Actually, to beat LSU and Alabama, we need to score points.

8timechamps
6/13/2012, 11:31 PM
Chans Cox to ASU, Jordan Mastrowhatever to OU....Jordan not official, but a decision will likely come in the next week or two.

I was hoping we would get Chans Cox, until Martogiovanni popped up. Their the same size, but Mastro (my new nickname) is rated higher (for what that's worth).

6/13/2012, 11:41 PM
I was hoping we would get Chans Cox, until Martogiovanni popped up. Their the same size, but Mastro (my new nickname) is rated higher (for what that's worth).Cox is 4 star by Rivals, and 5.8 or 5.9. He's the only 4star that ASU has so far for teh 2013 class, FWIW.

marfacowboy
6/14/2012, 08:02 AM
Actually, to beat LSU and Alabama, we need to score points.

"You never lose a game if the opponent doesn't score." Bear Bryant

I think it's pretty clear Alabama and LSU win by defense. It's long been a mainstay of Alabama's program. They seem perfectly satisfied to win 6-3 and have done it often.

Eielson
6/14/2012, 09:08 AM

I think it's pretty clear Alabama and LSU win by defense. It's long been a mainstay of Alabama's program. They seem perfectly satisfied to win 6-3 and have done it often.

I just checked the schedules, and between LSU and Alabama since 2002, only one game was 6-3. Alabama beat Tennessee by that score in 2005. Being the better team, I highly doubt that Alabama was perfectly satisfied to lose 9-6 in OT against LSU. Other than that, nothing else comes close to the scores you speak of, and I just went through about 20 seasons of football.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2012, 10:32 AM
As of this morning Rivals shows the "Mastro of Disastro" as committed to OU!

Welcome aboard, kid!

KantoSooner
6/14/2012, 11:04 AM
Now if Mike will set things up so that he can blitz 7 times a game or so and decapitate the QB once or twice a half, I'm sure the lad will be content.

And I'm talking those hits where the hitee goes flat on his back and lays there a while, then the forearms rise off the ground like he's a zombie coming out of his tomb, then you get a little involuntary muscle tremor, then the forearms sink back to the carpet. An old fashioned sack, in other words.

6/14/2012, 12:36 PM
As of this morning Rivals shows the "Mastro of Disastro" as committed to OU!

Welcome aboard, kid!He's done it.

here's the Scout profile. Lots of offers!: http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=5813950

picasso
6/14/2012, 02:02 PM

I'd dare say we supplied enough D to beat Florida in 2008. It was the offense that sputtered. I agree you need a special defense to win it all but we don't necessarily have to match those inbreds with our linebackers.

OU_Sooners75
6/14/2012, 05:03 PM
Barry Switzer said this just a few days ago: (not about defense though)

I smile and I laugh every week when I see everyone trying to throw the ball all over the park. I look at who wins the the national championship just like Alabama. They do it with the running game. You can go deep with the ball if you want to, but you've got to be able to run the ball and play great defense. You take a team with a playbook like the one Tom Osborne had in the '90s, and you can compete for national championships every year.

Line up and run the ball north and south out of the I-formation with a split end attack or a tight end attack, and run the option at the corner of the defense attacking the perimeters, and you've got the best offense there is with the play-action passing game. When you can run the ball like Tom Osborne did, you've got people running wide open. They don't do that anymore, and people who do that win football games.

I don't think you can line it up pure wishbone and run it every down like I did. We'd never ever throw and put up 500 yards on people. I don't think you can do that anymore, but I promise you the best play in football is the option, and being able to run the football and play defense gives you the best chance to win a football game. Control the clock, keep it way from those high-powered offenses. You do that by having great players and by sticking with it instead of just getting trendy and doing something else like everyone wanting to throw the football.

6/14/2012, 06:40 PM
Some of Switzer's best offenses, '71, 74 and 75, for example through the ball effectively, enough to really keep the defense guessing. No doubt a solid running game is important, but the threat of a successfaul pass play is essential for max offensive effectiveness, to go along with that run game, IMHO.

cccasooner2
6/14/2012, 08:10 PM
Some of Switzer's best offenses, '71, 74 and 75, for example through the ball effectively, enough to really keep the defense guessing. No doubt a solid running game is important, but the threat of a successfaul pass play is essential for max offensive effectiveness, to go along with that run game, IMHO.

Are you saying that running threw a defense is better than throughing over it? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

6/14/2012, 11:35 PM
Are you saying that running threw a defense is better than throughing over it? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)Only if you insist, AND if you 'splain "throughing".

cccasooner2
6/15/2012, 08:52 AM
Only if you insist, AND if you 'splain "throughing".

You must be Blake-2644321 on the MSN 'Forest Boy' comments.

Blake-2644321 - "Just through his @$$ back in the forest."

K. Snider - "Off topic, this was the funniest typo I've seen in a long while... what went "through" his @ss back in the forest? Did it hit any 'road blocks' along the way?

On a serious note, I agree...throw his @ss back in the forest and lets make an honest boy out of Pinnochio."

spanielboy
6/15/2012, 09:06 AM
Yes, there is some sadness in which Mastrogiovanni is heading up to Norman. We had placed a full-court press to recruit the kid and he chose another program to play at instead. With that said, we do wish him well as it is understood that he has some ties to OU through some family members. He played the recruiting game above the board and there are no hard feelings (minus some psycho-fans who take recruiting too personal).

OU_Sooners75
6/18/2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, there is some sadness in which Mastrogiovanni is heading up to Norman. We had placed a full-court press to recruit the kid and he chose another program to play at instead. With that said, we do wish him well as it is understood that he has some ties to OU through some family members. He played the recruiting game above the board and there are no hard feelings (minus some psycho-fans who take recruiting too personal).

What do you mean WE?

What school you represent?

8timechamps
7/5/2012, 09:26 PM
What do you mean WE?

What school you represent?

I'm guessing TCU. Based only on his location.

picasso
7/5/2012, 11:24 PM
God forbid a 17-18 year old kid has a change of heart about where he wants to go to college.

cleller
7/11/2012, 06:12 PM
Take solace. What is good for OU is good for all.