PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds and Franks no longer on scholarship

SOFSooner
6/7/2012, 09:54 AM
Was waiting for computer briefing to kick off and read on Yahoo Sports that the three players suspended, two receivers and back up safety is no longer on scholarship at OU. They quote Bob Stoops in Tulsa saying that the team does not depend on any one player. Haven't seen this posted yet.

KantoSooner
6/7/2012, 10:04 AM
Bob may take time to get p.o.'d, but, when he does, he acts.

marfacowboy
6/7/2012, 10:19 AM
It always amazes me when kids that have been presented with the opportunity of a lifetime somehow manage to **** it all away.

Herr Scholz
6/7/2012, 11:03 AM
None of those guys were big contributors, right?

madillsoonerfan5353
6/7/2012, 11:08 AM
None of those guys were big contributors, right?

Reynolds prolly would have been. :boxing::stupid:

fwsooner22
6/7/2012, 11:09 AM
Big Contributors ? Reynolds was good enough to stick it to your boys. Box score from latest ** beatdown in the Cotton Bowl. Mack woudn't suspend a kid who had six catches against OU.

Receiving No. Yds TD Long
-----------------------------------
Broyles,Ryan 9 122 1 40
Reynolds,Jaz 6 92 0 30
Stills,Kenny 5 51 2 19
Whaley,Dom 4 34 0 11
Haywood,Austin 2 23 0 19
Finch,Roy 2 11 0 8
Millard,Trey 1 14 0 14
Miller,Dejuan 1 13 0 13
Hanna,James 1 7 0 7
Totals... 31 367 3 40

thecrimsoncrusader
6/7/2012, 11:15 AM
Reynolds was probably a 1000+ yard receiver this season given he was a 700+ yard receiver last season with limited playing time until the second half of the season when Broyles went down with injury. I count that as a significant loss. Franks on the other hand....

KantoSooner
6/7/2012, 11:18 AM
You are essentially right, Herr. Losing them both makes us thinner at WR, but is not crippling, especially considering the talent (albeit not yet proven on the field) that we've got coming in.
Balance that against getting two schollies 'back' and it's probabaly a wash.
If they were locker room problems (and I have no idea whether they were), then it might be a net plus.

olevetonahill
6/7/2012, 11:19 AM
They can still walk on and try to earn it back cant they?

Herr Scholz
6/7/2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, Reynolds had a good game vs. us but I thought I remembered him getting a lot of grief from you guys for having poor hands the rest of the season. Seems to me all of these guys were already passed up on the depth chart, especially given Metoyer and Gardner coming in (plus another juco WR, right)? I don't see OU's passing offense dropping off at all even with these guys gone. That was my point.

Dan Thompson
6/7/2012, 11:47 AM
Bob said this in Tulsa on Wed.

"There's no update," Stoops said when asked about the suspensions of Reynolds, Franks and Hayes. "(They) have been removed from scholarship and we aren't counting on any of them.

Mississippi Sooner
6/7/2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, Reynolds had a good game vs. us but I thought I remembered him getting a lot of grief from you guys for having poor hands the rest of the season. Seems to me all of these guys were already passed up on the depth chart, especially given Metoyer and Gardner coming in (plus another juco WR, right)? I don't see OU's passing offense dropping off at all even with these guys gone. That was my point.

Yeah, that other juco guy is LeColtan Bester from East Mississippi CC, the national junior college champions. He had over 1,000 yards receiving and 17 touchdowns for them last year. He has the potential to be a good one. East Mississippi might not be as well known as some of the other juco football factories, but they've put several players in the NFL. (plus, they have an amazing new stadium for a little college in the middle of nowhere)

LA.SoonerFan
6/7/2012, 12:00 PM
They won't be missed that much. The newcomers, especially Metoyer, will be able to produce, even though they haven't been tested. Our receiving corps will be just fine.

LVSOONER15
6/7/2012, 12:02 PM
On a side note, I remember seeing Franks in that all access show from espn being told off by that girl wrapping his ankle.

Eielson
6/7/2012, 12:11 PM

The scary thing is, Stills and Metoyer are literally the only two receivers we have on our roster (we also have a walk-on who is 5-6, 170 pounds, and I've never heard of). We'll have way more talent at WR this year than we ended last year with, but it's never a sure thing when only one of your receivers has taken a snap with the team. I was originally hoping that some of these experienced guys would start the year off, and that these freshmen would take over later in the year after they'd gotten some experience. Oh well. At least we got these chumps off scholarship (non-SEC style).

yermom
6/7/2012, 12:23 PM
with the exception of Metoyer, i really would have rather had the known quantities that Franks, Jackson and Reynolds brought over new guys. they all had some good moments at times

from the wording now though, it seems like they still have a chance to play this season, when the news first broke, it didn't seem that way. somehow the language in this story seems different.

that being said, i think we can find someone to drop half the balls thrown to them without Broyles on the field

Bourbon St Sooner
6/7/2012, 12:23 PM

Actually, I thought Jazz was the best option we had after Broyles went down. He seemed to be the most consistent, but maybe that isn't saying much. Franks couldn't catch a cold. I'm sorry to see Jazz couldn't get his **** together and help out the team. I guess we'll see what those young guys can do. They'll have to play now. I'm always leery about thinking guys are going to be great before I actually see them in real action against D1 competition.

olevetonahill
6/7/2012, 02:59 PM
with the exception of Metoyer, i really would have rather had the known quantities that Franks, Jackson and Reynolds brought over new guys. they all had some good moments at times

from the wording now though, it seems like they still have a chance to play this season, when the news first broke, it didn't seem that way. somehow the language in this story seems different.

that being said, i think we can find someone to drop half the balls thrown to them without Broyles on the field

Thats what Im thinkin bro
he aint kicked em out completely just gave em a Very hard Row to Hoe

BrockLanders
6/7/2012, 04:37 PM
So what did they do? Has this been made public or did they just 'violate team rules'?

olevetonahill
6/7/2012, 04:59 PM
So what did they do? Has this been made public or did they just 'violate team rules'?

Look here
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?168085-Disturbing-Rumors-about-Franks-and-Reynolds.

cleller
6/7/2012, 04:59 PM

I'm in this camp to. If they are problem children, give 'em the axe of course, but I think Reynolds and Franks will be missed. They both were coming along, particularly Reynolds. They also had valuable experience, which we are critically short on now at WR.

SoonerMarkVA
6/7/2012, 07:10 PM

Reynolds was the only guy who could make a play consistently after Broyles went out. He would have been a good contributer this season. He wasn't going to be the next Broyles, but he'll leave a hole to fill.

8timechamps
6/7/2012, 08:40 PM
The good news is that apparently Kameel Jackson isn't anywhere near the same position as these guys. Sounds like he has a chance to get out of the doghouse.

Also saw today that the transferring players (DB from Arizona and WR from Fresno) are applying for waivers since both left after coaching changes. Not sure if the NCAA will grant the requests, but that would be huge if they do.

agoo758
6/7/2012, 10:11 PM
Here's the link. http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8018604/oklahoma-sooners-remove-jaz-reynolds-trey-franks-quentin-hayes-scholarship

olevetonahill
6/7/2012, 10:14 PM
Here's the link. http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8018604/oklahoma-sooners-remove-jaz-reynolds-trey-franks-quentin-hayes-scholarship

Ok thanks, From reading that I think they can work their way back on the team if they want it bad enough .

hawaii 5-0
6/7/2012, 10:14 PM
I hope this sets a good example to the other players to keep their noses clean.

So if Stills or Motoyer goes down a a freak play where are we?

5-0

olevetonahill
6/7/2012, 10:19 PM

5-0

Well hell. JPGs wont werk cause they all got **** in em. But we be up that creek

Eielson
6/7/2012, 10:25 PM
The good news is that apparently Kameel Jackson isn't anywhere near the same position as these guys. Sounds like he has a chance to get out of the doghouse.

I feel like Kameel was skipping class, and the other two were doing more.

Also saw today that the transferring players (DB from Arizona and WR from Fresno) are applying for waivers since both left after coaching changes. Not sure if the NCAA will grant the requests, but that would be huge if they do.

If we had Metoyer, Stills, and the guy from Fresno, I would not even be worried anymore.

agoo758
6/7/2012, 10:37 PM

5-0

Waley Sweep, Millard Trap, Bell dozer on third and one.......repeat process until season is over.

hawaii 5-0
6/7/2012, 10:50 PM
I still think Roy Finch is underutilized. I'd love to see a LB try to cover him in open space.

5-0

goingoneight
6/8/2012, 12:35 AM
Solution:

"Diamond" Formation: from left to right-- Kendall Thompson (lefty scrambling QB), Landry Jones (fear the 'stache), Blake Bell (righty scrambling QB). "Running Back" = Finch/Williams/Williams (take yer pick)

Millard plays that TE position where he is also an option for shovel passes.

Who's getting the ball? Doesn't matter... you can't stop it. :D

Best thing about this set? Only need one WR. :D

hawaii 5-0
6/8/2012, 01:45 AM
...and when they stack the box?

5-0

OUinFLA
6/8/2012, 07:57 AM
...and when they stack the box?

5-0

http://brokenoff.com/boxcuttere.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
6/8/2012, 10:24 AM
Reynolds getting stats against UT's defensive coached by Middle Tennessee State refugee Diaz means nothing. Reynolds didn't produce enough in later games with defenses coached by adult defensive coordinators.

The thing is, if you let dope smokers get away with dope smoking, an attitude develops, a culture within the team. These aren't the first guys with dope incidents. Brandon Everage had one, but was only suspended one game. I'm sure there are many others we know nothing about.

We can all talk about Stoops being tough and all that. But, the problem is, he and the staff probably were too lenient on the dopers for too long, and within the team, it seems, some began to think nothing of it.

This was mentioned elsewhere, and it's an argument I've made since the mid-2000s: The early Stoops teams just seemed hungrier than the latest ones. We've lost some really stupid games in the past six or seven years. These recent rosters full of kids do not know well enough the sting of losing.

The danger is becoming what Texas has become under Mack Brown - a roster full of insolents believing the opponent will simple fear the helmet and tradition. Perhaps two consecutive non-winning Big 12 season might put some more fire into the 'Horns this year - maybe. But, we don't want to go that route.

Hopefully, Bob's late crackdown will come just in time to keep us from becoming fodder to the likes of Iowa State, like Texas. But, the bottom line is, he and the staff need to get back to the in-your-face approach he took with the first few squads. The team apparently does not fear/respect him and the staff as much as they should.

8timechamps
6/8/2012, 04:09 PM
I feel like Kameel was skipping class, and the other two were doing more.

If we had Metoyer, Stills, and the guy from Fresno, I would not even be worried anymore.

That sounds about right. Skipping class can be fixed, typically stupidity is permanent. I'm not sure, but I don't recall Kameel being in trouble in the past, so that would work in his favor.

The perfect scenario at this point would be to have Metoyer, Stills, Jalen Saunders (Fresno) and Courtney Garder ready to go at UTEP. Add a couple of the incoming freshmen to that mix, and our receiver concerns would fade quickly.

goingoneight
6/9/2012, 08:54 PM
We've been losing "stupid" games for decades. That's what happens when you're the best.

Landthief 1972
6/18/2012, 12:11 PM
Now that Bob has yanked their schollies, does this mean he'll give them to a couple of unknown kickers to make it an even 10 or so on the team? ;) KIDDING, KIDDING.

badger
6/18/2012, 12:24 PM
Now that Bob has yanked their schollies, does this mean he'll give them to a couple of unknown kickers to make it an even 10 or so on the team? ;) KIDDING, KIDDING.

I lol'd.