PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Seals-Jones Decommits

swardboy
6/7/2012, 05:47 AM
Per College Football Live....he wants to play multiple sports, and Mack won't allow that. Does OU have any pull with this kid? Big wide receiver.

Herr Scholz
6/7/2012, 08:25 AM
Rick Barnes said he could play hoops if he wants. There's more to the story than that. He's looking at LSU now and he's playing AAU basketball all summer. Probably something to do with those connections.

Widescreen
6/7/2012, 10:35 AM
Barnes may be OK with it, but is Mack?

Herr Scholz
6/7/2012, 10:47 AM
Who knows. Don't think it matter$$$.

fwsooner22
6/7/2012, 11:03 AM
Herr - So you're saying that he committed to the Horns and there was no $$$$ but now LSU is offering $$$$ and he is changing his mind ? Seems to me if a kid is looking for $$$$ during the recruiting process he didn't just start that desire recently....if you know what I mean.

Herr Scholz
6/7/2012, 11:06 AM
I'm just guessing. He's been heavily involved with AAU basketball and that's pretty shady. So is LSU. Maybe some people got in his ear. I don't know.

I did read about a new method of payment from some LSU fans the other day. Apparently what they do now is have the kid put up an old pair of shoes on eBay and then some "good LSU fans" will pay $500 for them or something.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/7/2012, 11:28 AM
I'm just guessing. He's been heavily involved with AAU basketball and that's pretty shady. So is LSU. Maybe some people got in his ear. I don't know.

I did read about a new method of payment from some LSU fans the other day. Apparently what they do now is have the kid put up an old pair of shoes on eBay and then some "good LSU fans" will pay $500 for them or something.

Wow. That is shady. That's even more shady than Red McCombs's annual Golden Handshake Summer BBQ party.

yermom
6/7/2012, 12:17 PM

how does one authenticate that? i could find some old shoes...

Eielson
6/7/2012, 12:22 PM
Does the playing basketball and football thing ever work in college? I can't recall it.

yermom
6/7/2012, 12:26 PM
it seems like you would have to start basketball after the spring semester started

i remember thinking there was no way i could make winter basketball games and i was only going to the away/bowl games, not playing in them

pappy
6/7/2012, 07:24 PM
Does the playing basketball and football thing ever work in college? I can't recall it.

Julius Peppers did it when he was at North Carolina.

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2012, 07:56 PM

Charles Ward ended up all right with a national championship and Heisman in football, then having a pretty long NBA career.

For some reason I remember RW McQuarters doing it at OSU as well.

Tony Gonzales turned out OK.

marfacowboy
6/7/2012, 08:26 PM
Louisiana is one of the dirtiest, most corrupt states in the nation, and their flagship university is not any different.

8timechamps
6/7/2012, 08:35 PM
There's a lot of talk that he may end up just playing hoops. I can see that, but for LSU? No. There is definitely more to the story than we are hearing. If I were a Texas fan, I'd probably be okay with not getting this guy. I always wonder about kids that do this kind of thing.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2012, 08:45 AM
Like you guys say, one player is not going to make or break us. He's a good one for sure but we've got some other options at WR if he doesn't come back. Just move on down the road.

marfacowboy
6/8/2012, 09:46 AM
There's a lot of talk that he may end up just playing hoops. I can see that, but for LSU? No. There is definitely more to the story than we are hearing. If I were a Texas fan, I'd probably be okay with not getting this guy. I always wonder about kids that do this kind of thing.

I agree. I'd only want kids that really wanted to be there, not someone that's always wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere or that's not happy, etc. Being an athlete in these types of programs, even if it's track and field, requires an unwavering commitment in order to be successful. One my kids was an SEC athlete, and I can tell you that half-*** or luke warm won't cut it.

Widescreen
6/8/2012, 10:16 AM
Like you guys say, one player is not going to make or break us. He's a good one for sure but we've got some other options at WR if he doesn't come back. Just move on down the road.
Plus, with no QB, you don't really need receivers anyway.

swardboy
6/8/2012, 02:30 PM
Or "with two quarterbacks you need twice as many receivers."

SoonerofAlabama
6/11/2012, 05:21 PM

Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzales

BillyBall
6/11/2012, 05:26 PM

I was under the impression that Gates never played CFB at Kent State. I could be wrong though.

SoonerofAlabama
6/11/2012, 05:32 PM
^ Youre right. Forgot.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 07:44 PM

Also, did it really "work out" for those guys? They all ended up in the NFL. In Graham's case, he played baseball (which isn't as uncommon), and still ended up playing football. In the case of all three, I don't think basketball led them to the NFL.

As for Seals-Jones, I still think there's more to the story, because he could do a lot worse than playing football and basketball at Texas.

picasso
6/11/2012, 08:21 PM
Melvin Gilliam did it well. You gotta be a stud.

Salt City Sooner
6/11/2012, 08:52 PM
Add Julius Peppers to the list too.

Seamus
6/11/2012, 09:47 PM
Add Julius Peppers to the list too.

Hmmm ... (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?168596-Ricky-Seals-Jones-Decommits&p=3482650&viewfull=1#post3482650)

Herr Scholz
6/14/2012, 05:21 PM
Well, RSJ was on campus today meeting with both the football and basketball programs. Don't think it's going to end well for my Horns though based on a recent tweet. Apparently he didn't like the backlash from his decommitment. If he's into basketball though, UT is a better optin than A&M or LSU though.

Seals-Jones ‏@RickySealsJones
It kills me that y'all *UT fans* are upset that I decommitted but soon as another kid decommits 4rm a school & is considering Texas its cool

Dan Thompson
6/14/2012, 08:27 PM
If he is really good, maybe we could give him a double scholarship.

spanielboy
6/15/2012, 09:13 AM

With whom are speaking of? The Horns are not sporting any type of success at the WR position these last few years - with the number of transfers of the "big-time stars" and this year's crop of players seem to be hedging away from Austin (Rhodes and Samples were considered "Texas Good" but they ain't on the bus).

spanielboy
6/15/2012, 09:19 AM
Not sure which program was negatively recruiting Texas for this commit, but with the lack of passing success these last few years, what seems to be an emphasis to become a rushing power (how many stories have been reported since Alabama ran them over in the MNC game), and rumors that the kid wants to play offense (ie, catch the ball), one wonders if he is seeing himself to become a blocking TE if he chooses Austin. The backlash by the internet fans cannot be helping the Texas recruiting process.

Herr Scholz
6/18/2012, 09:33 AM
Well now he's posting pictures like this on the interwebs. Maybe we answered all of his questions. Who knows. I know the UT staff put on the full court press at the end of last week. Several coaches, including Brown, cancelled a coaches clinic trip to San Angelo because he was going to be in town. And Rick Barnes is on board now too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/526182_2686265895095_108164752_n.jpg

OU_Sooners75
6/18/2012, 09:37 AM
So in other words Texa$ is spending more money on him?

There was never a doubt in my mind he would not be a Texass foolhorn! He decommitted to get what he wanted (to play both foosball and baseketball).

He fits in great at Texass.....The entitlement crowd.

Herr Scholz
6/18/2012, 09:50 AM
He's a gamer. If he wants to piddle around with hoops in the offseason, more power to him. From what I can gather, his decommitment stemmed from a couple of things:

1) he didn't like what one of our asst football coaches said concerning his small chances to play hoops and apparently this is a big deal to him.

2) he was concerned that he was going to get spun down to TE at UT. I think us taking a 2nd TE in this class might've helped that now.

badger
6/18/2012, 10:16 AM
Well now he's posting pictures like this on the interwebs. Maybe we answered all of his questions. Who knows. I know the UT staff put on the full court press at the end of last week. Several coaches, including Brown, cancelled a coaches clinic trip to San Angelo because he was going to be in town. And Rick Barnes is on board now too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/526182_2686265895095_108164752_n.jpg

Does it bother you that our schools are acting like the pre-crystal football trophy era championships had those crystal balls awarded for them also? We have 7 crystal balls on our semi, but I think you guys did the repro-the-crystal thing first.

Why can't we just love the original trophies they gave us for our early titles? :(

Herr Scholz
6/18/2012, 12:49 PM
I agree.

NorthernIowaSooner
6/18/2012, 03:18 PM
Not sure which program was negatively recruiting Texas for this commit, but with the lack of passing success these last few years, what seems to be an emphasis to become a rushing power (how many stories have been reported since Alabama ran them over in the MNC game), and rumors that the kid wants to play offense (ie, catch the ball), one wonders if he is seeing himself to become a blocking TE if he chooses Austin. The backlash by the internet fans cannot be helping the Texas recruiting process.

Is that negative recruiting or just pointing out facts to the kid?

picasso
6/18/2012, 04:38 PM
Does it bother you that our schools are acting like the pre-crystal football trophy era championships had those crystal balls awarded for them also? We have 7 crystal balls on our semi, but I think you guys did the repro-the-crystal thing first.

Why can't we just love the original trophies they gave us for our early titles? :(
I noticed that too. Anything to get a recruit I guess.

spanielboy
6/18/2012, 07:49 PM
Is that negative recruiting or just pointing out facts to the kid?

You are correct that they are the two faces of the same coin. It would be interesting to know if the smoke behind the story was either LSU or Baylor.

Herr Scholz
6/19/2012, 09:22 AM
I read that the negative recruiting came from Scott Drew at Baylor. The other hoops coaches in the conference absolutely hate this guy.

Herr Scholz
6/19/2012, 03:27 PM
Some more rumors from the interwebs. Take it for what it's worth:

"...heard from a little birdie tonight that RSJ and his camp are really loving Texas right now. Heard that all three of their concerns have been answered and that the family has told the 'outside source' to take a hike. Was told to expect a commit back to Texas by August. He's going to play BB for Texas as well."

Curly Bill
6/19/2012, 03:31 PM
Some more rumors from the interwebs. Take it for what it's worth:

"...heard from a little birdie tonight that RSJ and his camp are really loving Texas right now. Heard that all three of their concerns have been answered and that the family has told the 'outside source' to take a hike. Was told to expect a commit back to Texas by August. He's going to play BB for Texas as well."

The fact he even has a "camp" and this other stuff...makes me glad he's gonna end up a whorn.

Herr Scholz
6/19/2012, 04:20 PM
Don't know if that's just his family or includes an AAU coach or something. He's big time though. He's got peoples. Will take. I wish we'd give him a shot to play safety too.