PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Anyway to ship something overnight to Houston?

cleller
6/5/2012, 10:30 PM
Have a strange problem. My daughter and son-in-law are heading to Peru tomorrow (Wednesday-6/06). The family they are going to see in Peru has ordered several things they wanted brought down to them, to avoid the shipping fees.

There was a misunderstanding about which day they were departing, and now a laptop this family ordered is scheduled to arrive at my house tomorrow(Wednesday) afternoon, after my daughter's flight leaves in the morning. The catch is, they have to overnight in Houston, due to a cancelled flight, and don't leave Houston until 4:00 pm on Thursday, 6/07.

If I received this package by early afternoon, is there any possible way to overnight it to their hotel at Houston/Bush airport by noon on Thursday? I'm thinking probably not, but as a dad have to do all I can. Never tried anything like this before.

Thanks for any expertise/suggestions you might have. Gotta sleep on it.

8timechamps
6/5/2012, 11:16 PM
FedEx. I think they are in most Kinko's now. It'll cost ya, but will get there overnight.

Cheerin' 4 OU
6/6/2012, 01:55 AM
I don't know what it's like currently, but I know that FedEx told me 2 years ago that they had some kinda deal between Oklahoma and Texas that allows them to get things overnight no matter where in Texas they're delivering to.

sooner_born_1960
6/6/2012, 07:30 AM
Or, don't risk it arriving too late. FedEx it to Peru.

Frozen Sooner
6/6/2012, 07:56 AM
Find a local commuter airline and see if they'll ship a package like that. Don't know about anyone else, but Alaska Airlines will do what they call "GoldStreak" service to any place they fly where they put the package on their next flight there. Really handy for getting documents to rural Alaska and back the same day.

cleller
6/6/2012, 08:02 AM
Or, don't risk it arriving too late. FedEx it to Peru.

Oh, by the way, we nixed this option due to the high fees, government tax issues, and very unreliable local handling in Peru.

The FedEx or UPS early am air looks like the best option right now....

Thanks yall.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/6/2012, 08:24 AM
Stuff it down your pants and hitch a ride on a train.

You may have to trade buttsex for cigarettes on the way. Or to keep from getting shanked.

OULenexaman
6/6/2012, 10:09 AM
Fed-EX 1st priority overnight.

C&CDean
6/6/2012, 10:13 AM
No comment.

cleller
6/6/2012, 10:27 AM
No comment.

Ah, postal history, right.

For the record, the postmaster at the tiny post office in Sparks OK (Bill) is one of a handful of people I trust completely. He's worked for USPS 30 years in big cities and little towns. Its a luxury to be able to call him up when you have a question. He gave me the poop on which post office I can take it to that will be able to get it there by noon tomorrow, so I think I'm going with USPS Express mail. Its half the cost of FedEx or UPS, and 30 minutes closer.
Crossing my fingers.

achiro
6/6/2012, 10:43 AM
It's less than an 8 hour drive. Cancel their flight to Houston, wait on the package and drive down to catch the flight tomorrow.

C&CDean
6/6/2012, 10:52 AM
Ah, postal history, right.

For the record, the postmaster at the tiny post office in Sparks OK (Bill) is one of a handful of people I trust completely. He's worked for USPS 30 years in big cities and little towns. Its a luxury to be able to call him up when you have a question. He gave me the poop on which post office I can take it to that will be able to get it there by noon tomorrow, so I think I'm going with USPS Express mail. Its half the cost of FedEx or UPS, and 30 minutes closer.
Crossing my fingers.

Now you are ready grasshoppah...

cleller
6/7/2012, 07:49 AM
Now for the epilogue.

In a cruel twist, the package did not get to my house until about 4:05 pm. About 5 minutes too late for me to get it to the post office by the 4:15 deadline. Though I may have had a few minutes leeway, I fell back on plan b.
Drove to Shawnee to UPS, did their next day air for a king's ransom. Guaranteed to be delivered by 1030. Their deadline was 6:00 pm.

The package shows out for delivery in Houston as of 0620. I hesitate to say it, but it seems to be in the bag now.

By the way, we decided early on not to trust FedEx. Their ground service has been so unreliable around here none or us felt they could be trusted. I know their air/express service is probably different, but you live and die by your reputation.

Thanks again

final edit: Delivered to them in the hotel lobby at 9:25 am. Mission accomplished!