PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MLB draft thread

TumbleweedDoom
6/5/2012, 01:31 PM
Didn't see one started, so I'll give my effort of putting the OU players and other notables on here.

Steven Okert -- No. 148, 4th round - San Francisco -- Well, it was good to have him one season. I'll take one-and-dones that perform as well as he has! Congrats to him!!!

Drew Verhagen -- No. 154, 4th round - Detroit -- Drew was a pitcher on OU's 2010 CWS team before transferring to Vanderbilt.

Damien Magnifico -- No. 185, 5th round - Milwaukee -- This is the same round Damien went in out of high school. He's just a sophomore, and he's got a lot to learn, but I'd be surprised if he came back. Congrats to him!!!

Jordan John -- No. 214, 6th round - Detroit -- Quite a bump up from where he was drafted as a high schooler. Jordan is just a redshirt sophomore but being taken this high will probably mean he's gone. Congrats to him!!!

Taylor Hawkins -- No. 392, 12th round - Tampa Bay -- First OU signee drafted, catcher out of Carl Albert HS. This is pretty high, but it isn't an absolute given a kid would go pro here.

Drew Harrison -- No. 724, 23rd round - Detroit -- OK, here's our first big surprise. This is a pretty good spot for him ... considering he's BARELY played. No telling if he goes or not -- with him being on scout's radar like this, a season where he actually contributes heavily might give him a chance to shoot up the draft board. But, money talks a lot more for a drafted junior compared to a senior ... whatever he chooses, congrats to him!!!

Caleb Bushyhead -- No. 897, 29th round - Los Angeles Angels -- This is a nice spot for Caleb and hopefully he'll get some nice carrying-around money for his signing bonus. Couldn't happen to a better kid. Congrats to him!!!

Benny Suarez -- No. 1103, 36th round - Toronto -- This is an OU signee, a pitcher from Hill JC in Texas. This late in the draft, it's simply a case of are they just ready to skip school and start making money? Otherwise, there's no reason to go as the signing bonus is so low and the possibility of raising their stock is so high with a year at a major college ... i.e. like Steven Okert.

NMSooner'80
6/5/2012, 02:49 PM
Jordan John was picked by Detroit in the 6th round (#214 overall).

setem
6/5/2012, 02:49 PM
I don't think Okert or Magno will go!

IndySooner
6/5/2012, 02:51 PM
Jordan John was picked by Detroit in the 6th round (#214 overall).That's going to be tough for Jordan to pass up for sure. I know he was undecided going in, but I think that makes his mind up.

We had a shot at getting a lot of pitching back next year, but it looks like we're going to lose three key cogs.

IndySooner
6/5/2012, 02:52 PM
I don't think Okert or Magno will go!I'd be SHOCKED if either stayed at this point. Damien has repeatedly told people he's staying, but I can't see him improving his stock too much in college at this point.

TumbleweedDoom
6/5/2012, 02:58 PM
If Okert doesn't go, I'll eat my hat. There's absolute no way, no chance in hell, he stays. He's a junior and he'd lose all his leverage if he stayed -- we're talking the difference of HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars ... even if he was picked in the exact same spot next year.

Damien has a lot to learn and his MLB scouting report is not exactly glowing -- if he stayed and figured out how to pitch and not just throw, he could move all the way into the top round. He also was granted an extra year of eligibility this year as he's now just considered a redshirt sophomore. Still, I'd be pretty stunned if he stayed.

rysooner
6/5/2012, 02:59 PM
I'd be SHOCKED if either stayed at this point. Damien has repeatedly told people he's staying, but I can't see him improving his stock too much in college at this point.

At least we won't have to wait so long to find out from now on since they have to sign by July now. What is it, July 15th?

rysooner
6/5/2012, 03:04 PM
If Okert doesn't go, I'll eat my hat. There's absolute no way, no chance in hell, he stays. He's a junior and he'd lose all his leverage if he stayed -- we're talking the difference of HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars ... even if he was picked in the exact same spot next year.

Damien has a lot to learn and his MLB scouting report is not exactly glowing -- if he stayed and figured out how to pitch and not just throw, he could move all the way into the top round. He also was granted an extra year of eligibility this year as he's now just considered a redshirt sophomore. Still, I'd be pretty stunned if he stayed.

Don't forget, that's not as big a deal now with the slotted money assigned.

TumbleweedDoom
6/5/2012, 03:27 PM
Don't forget, that's not as big a deal now with the slotted money assigned.

The thing is, the slotted money allows teams to pay UP to that slot amount ... but can pay any amount less than that. So what it does, it keeps teams from overpaying to keep them from going to college or staying, if they are sophomores, but it doesn't really affect college juniors as when they are seniors teams can still just offer them a handshake and a couple of $20 bills even if they are a top 10 round draft pick.

rysooner
6/5/2012, 03:33 PM
The thing is, the slotted money allows teams to pay UP to that slot amount ... but can pay any amount less than that. So what it does, it keeps teams from overpaying to keep them from going to college or staying, if they are sophomores, but it doesn't really affect college juniors as when they are seniors teams can still just offer them a handshake and a couple of $20 bills even if they are a top 10 round draft pick.

Gottcha. Thought there was a minimum also, and not a real big spread between the minimum and max. Guess it will still make a difference then. Dang it......

rysooner
6/5/2012, 03:35 PM

Oh, I thought there was a minimum also, and not a very big spread between the minimum and the max. Guess it will still make a difference, dang it......

TumbleweedDoom
6/5/2012, 03:37 PM
Now that's the way I heard it, but I'm not saying I'm absolutely correct here. So you might be right -- I defer to someone else to come in and give us the correct answer.

TumbleweedDoom
6/5/2012, 04:52 PM
I did some quick research and I haven't heard anything about a minimum amount in each slot -- teams are alotted "X" amount of dollars for the draft with maximum amounts in each slot -- they can pay above that maximum amount, but they are penalized. Nothing about a minimum.

eagle21
6/5/2012, 05:18 PM
I did some quick research and I haven't heard anything about a minimum amount in each slot -- teams are alotted "X" amount of dollars for the draft with maximum amounts in each slot -- they can pay above that maximum amount, but they are penalized. Nothing about a minimum.

This link may answer a few questions: http://ht.ly/aYdTS

IndySooner
6/5/2012, 10:44 PM
Slotting will likely help us with Hawkins. His max will be $100K. You've got to think he will think he can improve his stock at OU.

rysooner
6/6/2012, 10:28 AM
John posted a pic last night of his new Detroit cap that he bought, saying "yea, had to". Coach Geise then replied with a pic of an OU cap, saying "we've still go work to do". Good stuff.

Sooner11JK
6/6/2012, 10:29 AM
John posted a pic last night of his new Detroit cap that he bought, "yea, had to". Coach Geise then replied with a pic of an OU cap, saying "we've still go work to do". Good stuff.

Saw that. That was fantastic.

IndySooner
6/6/2012, 10:31 AM
I'd say that answers any outlying questions about Jordan John!

Sooner11JK
6/6/2012, 12:56 PM
Drew Harrison was just drafted by the Tigers! Wow!

IndySooner
6/6/2012, 01:07 PM
23rd round. Will be an interesting choice for Drew. Is he in our plans for next year? If not, he probably goes.

Battersbox
6/6/2012, 03:16 PM
he will be back the money he will got offered will be small as a 23rd round pick with the new system

IndySooner
6/6/2012, 03:27 PM
he will be back the money he will got offered will be small as a 23rd round pick with the new systemI agree it will be small, but is he in the plans? He threw 9 innings before Charlottesville. Will he get more work next year?

TumbleweedDoom
6/6/2012, 03:32 PM
Is it weird that we're 35 rounds in and Max White and Jack Mayfield haven't been drafted yet?

TumbleweedDoom
6/6/2012, 03:33 PM
I agree it will be small, but is he in the plans? He threw 9 innings before Charlottesville. Will he get more work next year?

Yes. Sunny has already said so.

Sooner11JK
6/6/2012, 03:35 PM
Is it weird that we're 35 rounds in and Max White and Jack Mayfield haven't been drafted yet? No Reine yet either. I'd take a chance on him late. Strong arm, quick bat, decent speed.

Battersbox
6/6/2012, 03:51 PM
not shocked about Mayfield, but very much so about White. you guys need to checkout this story. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/06/new-draft-rules-create-confusion-run-on-college-seniors/

Sooner11JK
6/6/2012, 04:06 PM
Only 2 Rounds left now.....

IndySooner
6/6/2012, 05:19 PM
We're going to have a lot of talent back next year. If Sunny can add an arm or two and fill in a couple spots in the lineup, next year has the possibility of being special.

Hard to believe Max White didn't get drafted at all. Strange.

IndySooner
6/6/2012, 08:42 PM
Two things I just heard, FWIW:

1) Max told everyone not to draft him. He told them he was coming back.
2) Taylor Hawkins is headed to Grayson CC.

bcolston15
6/6/2012, 11:22 PM
First off, it's good to be here. It's hell getting registered for the site.

Anyways. I agree with what Indy posted about Max and Hawkins. That's what I've heard as well. Hawkins was getting a full ride so at least that opens up money to go sign 2-3 Jucos.

Magnifico isn't a rubber stamp to sign like John and Okert. Fifth round for a guy with his talent is low, very low. Don't underestimate the role his familiarity with Giese will play in his decision.

One name to watch: Signee Kolbey West is an absolute steal. He set the Texas 3A record for HR's in a career. I bet he replaces Bushyhead.

If we get to game three against Carolina we're going to Omaha. Overton is pitching at a 'Heaney like' level right now. I'm just not sure we can win one of those first two. There's a reason why they've won 20 straight. You can disregard all other USC stats other than the 20 straight win stat.

IndySooner
6/6/2012, 11:53 PM
Honestly, I think we win Sunday night. This team plays crazy well with their backs against the wall. That would make Monday pretty fun!

NMSooner'80
6/13/2012, 12:43 PM
Any news on the underclassmen who were drafted?

TumbleweedDoom
6/13/2012, 12:56 PM
Without knowing any actual information, I'm positive we lose Jordan John and Steven Okert. I'd say we have about a 20% chance of getting Magnifico back. I'd say the chances are about the same for Harrison, as well. No telling on the signees.

Sooner11JK
6/13/2012, 03:09 PM
Jordan tweeted last night that he was going to sign with the Tigers and he would give details soon.

colston15
6/14/2012, 09:32 PM
I've heard that OU is still an option for Taylor Hawkins. Which has changed since last week when it was either Tampa Bay or Grayson CC for him.

I still expect him to be somewhere other than OU next season but apparently there's still a chance he comes to school.

12th round pick Billy Waltrip from Seminole should be at OU unless Baltimore is willing taking money away from their top 10 picks to pay him. (Which isn't likely)

IndySooner
6/19/2012, 12:53 AM
Magnifico's Twitter feed certainly makes it look like he's planning on coming back.

Overton, Gray & Magnifico with another year of work certainly looks like a stellar rotation. Now, Sunny, go get some bats!

NMSooner'80
6/26/2012, 11:24 AM
Any updates, a week after Indy's last one?

colston15
7/6/2012, 04:30 PM
Taylor Hawkins will sign with the Rays. That makes it a tough week for us with Maginifco inking as well.

Hawkins doesn't surprise me but Magnifico kind of did. Especially at just under 300K.

colston15
7/6/2012, 04:50 PM
Taylor Hawkins will sign with the Rays. That makes it a tough week for us with Maginifco inking as well.

Hawkins doesn't surprise me but Magnifico kind of did. Especially at just more than 300K.

I still expect Orioles 12th round pick Billy Waltrip to be in Norman.

Taylor Hearn from Royse City, Texas who was drafted in the 22nd round by the Pirates is a guy I've heard nothing about. He's double signed with OU and a Juco in Texas. Who knows.

I've heard things are a little slow on the recruiting trail finishing out 2012 and beginning 2013. Sounds like the new hires in Stillwater are doing whatever it takes to get guys and TCU is beating us as well.

We all know our current staff isn't going to blow anyone away with their ability to recruit. I'd expect a lot more Bushyhead type guys out of high school with the occasional Juco stalwart (i.e. Oberste, Okert, etc) thrown in. The days of getting big time prep players from Texas is long gone.

Don't get your hopes up though, Sunny haters, we aren't going anywhere. It'll be fun to watch Tadpole and Hayward waste more talent in Lubbock.

BoomerJack
7/10/2012, 02:03 PM
From earlier post: "2) Taylor Hawkins is headed to Grayson CC."

Is this the catcher recruited from Midwest City? If not, does anyone know if he signed pro or not?

rysooner
7/11/2012, 10:37 AM
From earlier post: "2) Taylor Hawkins is headed to Grayson CC."

Is this the catcher recruited from Midwest City? If not, does anyone know if he signed pro or not?

Baseball America still shows him unsigned. Also, even though hes not a Sonner, BA is showing Andrew Heaney unsigned as well.

colston15
7/11/2012, 11:44 AM
Hawkins has decided to sign with the Rays.

Billy Waltrip has confirmed he will attend OU.

NMSooner'80
7/11/2012, 03:07 PM
I noticed on the Rangers' site that you can search the MLB.com sites, per team, to see what the status of their "draft class" is. So if you know which team drafted our players (and/or recruits), you can check the latest status that way.