PDA

View Full Version : TTU Applying For AAU Status

PLaw
6/1/2012, 04:27 PM
As a Tech grad, I found it interesting when I received a letter from the TTU President implying that they are "on the doorstep of recognition as a national research university in the state of Texas, which is an important step on our quest to become a member of the Association of American Universities".

It's doubtful, but it will truly be sad if Tech acheives AAU membership before OU. On the other hand, it will be good for the conference and should make realignment talks more salty. With the recent TV contract, I think the BIG XII is on firm ground, but I would have never predicted the upheaval of the last 2-3 years.

BOOMER

badger
6/1/2012, 04:41 PM
The most recent inductee into the AAU (not to be confused with the future NBA stars organization) was none other than :rcmad: in 2001.

Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities)

I think that OU has as good of a chance if not better than Tech of getting in, based on its expanding research facilities and faculty (think all that crap going up by Lloyd Noble and in OKC). AAU loves that type of stuff.

Soonerfan88
6/1/2012, 06:48 PM
Actually, the OKC expansion probably won't help. One of the things that got Neb kicked out was AAU would not count the research or faculty from their medical center. The University of Nebraska Medical Center is a separate campus from UNL. Isn't OU set up the same way? KU, on the other hand, has their medical school in KC but it is still officially the KU School of Medicine and a department under the main campus administration.

BajaOklahoma
6/2/2012, 07:22 AM
It is well known among high school seniors around here that if you can't get accepted elsewhere, apply to TTU. Their admission criteria alone makes me think it will be awhile before TTU will be an AAU member.

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2012, 07:30 AM
AAU? Tech is barely accredited.

cleller
6/2/2012, 08:34 AM
Tech can toss a 2x4 at a wall better than anyone, though. (Their storm research wind tunnel stuff)

sooneredaco
6/2/2012, 07:15 PM
Bawhahahahaha!

prrriiide
6/3/2012, 12:01 AM
AAU? Tech is barely accredited.

Yup. Even aggie beats them academically.