PDA

View Full Version : Humming bird Peeps

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 09:53 AM
Whats up with them this year?

I usually have 5 to 6 pair around here, this year Ive only seen ONE pair. Did find a dead one below one of the feeders

Any one have very many?

Curly Bill
5/31/2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe the bees killed em all?

picasso
5/31/2012, 01:22 PM
Vet, they don't come back unless you fill the feeders.

KantoSooner
5/31/2012, 01:54 PM
You, too? I set out feeders late, but we normally have somewhere between 15-25 of the little buggers and this year we've got one regular.

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 02:55 PM
You, too? I set out feeders late, but we normally have somewhere between 15-25 of the little buggers and this year we've got one regular.

had Mine filled and out early this year. 1st Pair showed on April 1st . been a few come an go since but not like before..

Wonder did they decided It cost to much to travel this year?

cleller
5/31/2012, 06:12 PM
We have a steady stream of them at our two feeders, but just one or two at a time. For awhile last year we'd have 7-10 buzzing around together.

We've been lucky to have 3 separate Painted Bunting sightings, so far. If you've never seen it, beautiful bird.

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 06:35 PM
Just found and read a couple of Forums and it seems this is wide spread this year. No one seems to be having many yet no one can explain it :subdued:

KantoSooner
6/1/2012, 09:36 AM
...but everyone, so far, has great tomato plants and lots of green tomatoes.

Coincidence? I think not.

olevetonahill
6/1/2012, 09:38 AM
...but everyone, so far, has great tomato plants and lots of green tomatoes.

Coincidence? I think not.

I do gots Lots of Green maters so Ima not bitch to much

Condescending Sooner
6/1/2012, 10:06 AM
I have seen one. Haven't seen him again. I about to give up.

C&CDean
6/2/2012, 11:44 AM
Sugar water not OVJ ya ****in' hillbilly.

We've got several, but not the flocks like we've had the past couple years. For the first time in years momma did not set tomatoes or peppers. Lazy wench...

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 11:49 AM
Sugar water not OVJ ya ****in' hillbilly.

We've got several, but not the flocks like we've had the past couple years. For the first time in years momma did not set tomatoes or peppers. Lazy wench...

Maybe thats whats wrong, I used to put a spoon full er so in every feeder :very_drunk:

The Numbers just aint here this year. I see a few every day but like ya said not like the last few years

Ya need to Beat that lazy woman. Hell 1st the TGs now No garden? WTF over?

pphilfran
6/2/2012, 11:49 AM
We have a steady stream of them at our two feeders, but just one or two at a time. For awhile last year we'd have 7-10 buzzing around together.

We've been lucky to have 3 separate Painted Bunting sightings, so far. If you've never seen it, beautiful bird.

I had one Painted last year...I see several Indigo every year...they "glow"...

texaspokieokie
6/3/2012, 08:04 AM
i'm fascinated by humming birds. we never have more than one pair, as far as i can tell. course we live in the city.

olevetonahill
6/3/2012, 11:37 AM
i'm fascinated by humming birds. we never have more than one pair, as far as i can tell. course we live in the city.

Put out more feeders, I have 3 all within 2 ft of each other

Read somewhere that for every one you see theres around 6 that you dont

delhalew
6/3/2012, 11:47 AM
What the eff has happened to the fireflies/lightnin' bugs? My little girl has been pissed about not seeing any.

olevetonahill
6/3/2012, 11:50 AM
What the eff has happened to the fireflies/lightnin' bugs? My little girl has been pissed about not seeing any.
Hummingbirds ate em .

delhalew
6/3/2012, 12:21 PM
Is it too late to put up a HB feeder?

olevetonahill
6/3/2012, 12:27 PM
Is it too late to put up a HB feeder?

Naw go for it.

I use a cup of sugar to a quart of water, No food coloring er any of that weird ****.

delhalew
6/3/2012, 12:33 PM
Cool. The kids would dig that.

olevetonahill
6/3/2012, 12:37 PM
Cool. The kids would dig that.

You should see a few pretty fast.
Theres just not the numbers this year as there has been in the past, No clue why.
Ive had as many as 20 buzzin around my feeders before now i see 2 er 3 at a time

C&CDean
6/4/2012, 10:53 AM
I found a dead one in the barn yesterday.

FWIW, there's basically only one species of hummingbird in Oklahoma. The ruby-throated hummingbird. If you live out west you might see a black-chinned hummingbird too.

Like most birds, the males are prettier than hell, and the females are drab. The males heads are almost flourescent green in the sunlight, and their throat area is a very pretty red. The females are pretty much gray. Them bitches get hornery too when they go to mating. I've seen one bitch block about 5 males from the feeders many times.

olevetonahill
7/7/2012, 07:47 AM
Well somethings changed
I saw 6 at once last night on the feeders, 4 so far this morning.

pphilfran
7/7/2012, 10:14 AM
I found a dead one in the barn yesterday.

FWIW, there's basically only one species of hummingbird in Oklahoma. The ruby-throated hummingbird. If you live out west you might see a black-chinned hummingbird too.

Like most birds, the males are prettier than hell, and the females are drab. The males heads are almost flourescent green in the sunlight, and their throat area is a very pretty red. The females are pretty much gray. Them bitches get hornery too when they go to mating. I've seen one bitch block about 5 males from the feeders many times.

There is a 3rd, the Rufous, but it does not nest here and only migrates through...

One other tidbit...their feathers are actually not colored...light refracts off the feathers and gives them their color...in the shade they will appear a flat brown or black...

pphilfran
7/7/2012, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen but a couple all summer...

olevetonahill
7/7/2012, 10:21 AM
I haven't seen but a couple all summer...
They've been active here all morning.
Already ate most of 2 feeders full in just a few day's,
I havnt been having to fill em much this year. something has gotten em more active

pphilfran
7/7/2012, 10:25 AM
I will go clean and refill em right now...

olevetonahill
7/7/2012, 10:48 AM
I will go clean and refill em right now...
After the feeders had sat for so long I started emptying them and just filling em about 1/2 way
seems to keep the syrup fresher for em

olevetonahill
7/9/2012, 06:29 PM
Theres 8 of em out there now. Cool

C&CDean
7/10/2012, 07:39 AM
They're baaaaaaaack.

For whatever reason, the patio is infested with them little buggers now. I counted 16 last night and there were more than that buzzing about. Wiping out two feeders in about a day and a half.

pphil: I always wondered about why you couldn't see the colors in the shade of the patio. Now I be knowing. The males are prettier than hell in the early morning/late evening when the slanted sun hits them on the feeders.

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 07:52 AM
Yup they every where Now
Ima thinking the lil bastards took the scenic route from South America this season.

Curly Bill
7/10/2012, 08:03 AM
Yup they every where Now
Ima thinking the lil bastards took the scenic route from South America this season.

Are we still talking about birds? ;)

pphilfran
7/10/2012, 08:05 AM
I have had quite a few...if I get my chit together I will try to get some pics...

cleller
7/10/2012, 08:10 AM
FYI they also love lantana plants, which grow well in the heat, and look good.

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 08:11 AM
Are we still talking about birds? ;)

Yea, Ima thinkin jaun got all the coyotes tied up and these poor lil fellas just couldnt find their way with out those guides

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 08:12 AM
Heh, Between the Birds an the Bees Ima going thru almost as much sugar as I was when i was Moonshinin.

pphilfran
7/10/2012, 08:48 AM
I feed the birds....I buy those giant bags of black oil sunflower seeds...but the damn raccoons show up overnight and pillage all the extra...them sobs will tear up anything...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/005-2.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2012, 08:57 AM
I had three of them doing a perfect circle around my head this mornin...

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 09:16 AM
I had three of them doing a perfect circle around my head this mornin...

Dayum Coons

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 09:48 AM
Heh, Between the Birds an the Bees Ima going thru almost as much sugar as I was when i was Moonshinin.

Just went an filled my 3 feeders. looked and the Bee feeders are empty
They eatin me outta house an Home

KantoSooner
7/10/2012, 10:55 AM
they are back! In addtion to the feeders, I see them around moon flowers in the evening and zinnias pretty much all day. Sometimes around crepe myrtle.

side note: japanese cucumbers! dayum! suckers grow to about 24" long and thick as my wrist...without being bitter at all. We've been eating cucumber soup, zadziki (sp?), salads, pickles, giving them away, putting slices on our eyeballs. you name it. Took ten pounds down to the homeless shelter on Sunday and I've probably harvested twice that since.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/10/2012, 11:26 AM
Olevet and his hummingbirds, bees, deer, and all the other critters .... I just think about Snow White and all the animals before the Seven Drawfs got home from work.

whistle while you work ....la la la la la la la ....

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2012, 02:48 PM
Dayum CoonsMy sentiments as well...

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 06:08 PM
Olevet and his hummingbirds, bees, deer, and all the other critters .... I just think about Snow White and all the animals before the Seven Drawfs got home from work.

whistle while you work ....la la la la la la la ....

Was sitting out on the deck drankin and talkin to the deer the other evenin

hornswaggled
7/10/2012, 08:12 PM
We had fewer than normal this year in East Texas. I attribute it to the last couple years' drought.

olevetonahill
7/10/2012, 08:42 PM
We had fewer than normal this year in East Texas. I attribute it to the last couple years' drought.
Aint just there they wernt around much of anywhere the 1st few months of the season
Now Bam they are here in force again

I filled the feeders this morning an 1 of em is already empty

Condescending Sooner
7/11/2012, 02:15 PM
They're baaaaaaaack.

For whatever reason, the patio is infested with them little buggers now. I counted 16 last night and there were more than that buzzing about. Wiping out two feeders in about a day and a half.

pphil: I always wondered about why you couldn't see the colors in the shade of the patio. Now I be knowing. The males are prettier than hell in the early morning/late evening when the slanted sun hits them on the feeders.

Well that's just freakin great. I gave up and took down my feeder and put up a bug zapper in it's place. Also broke the feeder getting it down. I don't know why I try anything.

Hell, the bugs will probably all fly south now.