PDA

View Full Version : Hatfiled and McCoys

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 07:15 PM
Pretty gritty show....them boyz from Appalachia are crude, cruel and
final. Don't know how much is factual but sure is entertaining!

What say y'all?!

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 07:27 PM
Why should I watch a show about my Kin?

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 08:36 PM
Why should I watch a show about my Kin?

Hell, Vet, why not?

picasso
5/31/2012, 12:19 AM
You guys ever watch The Winter People, starring Kurt Russell?

Some good old timey hillbilly bible thumpin *** kickin in themmen there parts.

Boomer.....
5/31/2012, 07:34 AM
Good show!

dwarthog
5/31/2012, 08:48 AM
Agreed. We thoroughly enjoyed it here.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2012, 09:24 AM
we did too !!!

ouleaf
5/31/2012, 10:43 AM
Might have to record them all and go back and watch when i have more time. Couldn't sit down and watch for a whole 2 hours at a time.

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2012, 10:49 AM
great show - from the account of this mini-series, i'd have to give the McCoy's a bit more blame for the whole mess than the Hatfields - but only a bit

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 11:14 AM
Might have to record them all and go back and watch when i have more time. Couldn't sit down and watch for a whole 2 hours at a time.

Thats what I did cept I aint watched any of it yet

rock on sooner
5/31/2012, 11:17 AM
Thats what I did cept I aint watched any of it yet

Aw Vet, you wuz funnin' me, when you made that crack about
not watchin' yer kin...

picasso
5/31/2012, 01:29 PM
Vet was out lookin' for hummingbirds.

picasso
5/31/2012, 01:32 PM
great show - from the account of this mini-series, i'd have to give the McCoy's a bit more blame for the whole mess than the Hatfields - but only a bit
Didn't one of them go AWOL from their local Confederate militia campaign? I thought that was how the feud started? If so, that fellar had some smarts.

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2012, 01:55 PM
yeah Hatfield deserted his post - and McCoy couldnt let it go

then the whole "pig fiasco" started it

http://appalachianlady.wordpress.com/ - really good read here from one of Hatfield's direct descendants

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 02:58 PM
Aw Vet, you wuz funnin' me, when you made that crack about
not watchin' yer kin...

I said I aint watched a bit of it yet. Just wanted it recorded in case I decide to watch

oudanny
5/31/2012, 03:53 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the unresolved murder of one of the McCoys that fought for the Union helped move the feud along.
The whole pig thing was just an added poke in the eye and then the murder of Elison Hatfield ignited the whole thing.

rock on sooner
5/31/2012, 04:56 PM
I said I aint watched a bit of it yet. Just wanted it recorded in case I decide to watch

If'n yew say so....:excitement:

landrun
5/31/2012, 05:07 PM
Great show.
If close to reality, I'm sort of shocked at how quickly so many of them were willing to become murders.

Oh... and McCoy was a self-righteous nut. How he ever justified his families behavior as Christian while condemning the Hatfields is beyond me.
... again... if this was realistic. - which I don't know.

It was very entertaining though! :)

Soonerfan88
5/31/2012, 06:14 PM
This is the best historical synopsis I've seen. It's based on the information provided in the book Feud: Hatfields, McCoys, and Social Change in Appalachia by Altina Waller. It's a very good read for those interested.

http://www.thehistorychannelclub.com/articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1571/hatfields-and-mccoys-an-american-vendetta

OULenexaman
6/1/2012, 11:04 AM
I said I aint watched a bit of it yet. Just wanted it recorded in case I decide to watch so your sayin you already know how it ends.:excitement:

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2012, 12:55 PM
so your sayin you already know how it ends.:excitement:

Know? He lived it...

;)

olevetonahill
6/1/2012, 02:07 PM

Know? He lived it...

;)

Heh, They got a Lot of Info from the Family Bible :very_drunk:

SunnySooner
6/1/2012, 02:31 PM
I watched some youtube from CBN, it kinda gave a start to finish summation, the ending being Devil Anse's redemption and baptism, of course, it was CBN. Then, I watched the series, and it was pretty much an exact replication of the story told by the CBN chick, who was a descendant of Ellison Hatfield, btw. Interesting.

Devil lived a long life, he was in his eighties when he passed. Johnse only made it to 60, dying of a heart attack. Johnse went on to be married a total of 4 times, but it's hard to find out what happened to all the wives.

Nancy McCoy Hatfield, Johnse's first wife (and his baby mama Roseanna's cousin, really?, was the dating pool that small?!??), divorced Johnse and married "Bad" Frank Phillips, the bounty-hunter dude. Their son's name was Jesse James Phillips, since Frank rode with Jesse back in the day.

History is so crazy!! Or maybe, it's just people. Some things never change.

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2012, 02:33 PM
I watched some youtube from CBN, it kinda gave a start to finish summation, the ending being Devil Anse's redemption and baptism, of course, it was CBN. Then, I watched the series, and it was pretty much an exact replication of the story told by the CBN chick, who was a descendant of Ellison Hatfield, btw. Interesting.

Devil lived a long life, he was in his eighties when he passed. Johnse only made it to 60, dying of a heart attack. Johnse went on to be married a total of 4 times, but it's hard to find out what happened to all the wives.

Nancy McCoy Hatfield, Johnse's first wife (and his baby mama Roseanna's cousin, really?, was the dating pool that small?!??), divorced Johnse and married "Bad" Frank Phillips, the bounty-hunter dude. Their son's name was Jesse James Phillips, since Frank rode with Jesse back in the day.

History is so crazy!! Or maybe, it's just people. Some things never change.

i've found in my genealogical research that it may not have been that there were small dating pools - but proximity and familiarity were big factors in "new husbands and/or wives"....when one spouse died or went by the way side in the 1800's - somebody else normally stepped into that spot - and did so rather quickly - and often times from a very close existing relationship

weird stuff

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2012, 02:42 PM
and "clown car" uterus' were the norm back then - some of the women in my family tree pumped out between 10 and 15 kids......farming really IS a family business

SunnySooner
6/1/2012, 06:35 PM
I know, jk, I've done a little of that too, same thing. One set of grandparents, great, great, great or so, had sons named Eli, Elias, Elijah, and yep, Elisha. How confusing was that??!?! One of their daughters was "Arkansas Berry". That always cracked me up, bad names have been around for a long time, apparently.

Another reason I'm happy to be a modern girl. After a perfectly normal pregnancy, and then 26 hours of labor, I had to have a c-section to have my son. My doc said something about the shape of my bones, can't have kids the normal way, but it's not something they can really tell until you try to have a baby.

So, if I'd been a frontier wife, I'd have been one of those that died in childbirth, with the baby dying too, as so many did. Definite bummer.

hawaii 5-0
6/1/2012, 09:42 PM
Those actors had waay too many teeth in their mouths for it to be realistic.

I like those Colt Navy revolvers.

5-0

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2012, 10:23 PM
I know, jk, I've done a little of that too, same thing. One set of grandparents, great, great, great or so, had sons named Eli, Elias, Elijah, and yep, Elisha. How confusing was that??!?! One of their daughters was "Arkansas Berry". That always cracked me up, bad names have been around for a long time, apparently.

Another reason I'm happy to be a modern girl. After a perfectly normal pregnancy, and then 26 hours of labor, I had to have a c-section to have my son. My doc said something about the shape of my bones, can't have kids the normal way, but it's not something they can really tell until you try to have a baby.

So, if I'd been a frontier wife, I'd have been one of those that died in childbirth, with the baby dying too, as so many did. Definite bummer.

what made my searches more difficult or confusing was the sharing of baby names among siblings. David and Samuel would each have 8 chillens and give their kids the same damn names.....goofy

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2012, 12:24 AM
He should -- he was there.

Jacie
6/2/2012, 09:10 AM
and "clown car" uterus' were the norm back then - some of the women in my family tree pumped out between 10 and 15 kids......farming really IS a family business

Explains why the old timey men were married so many times. My research showed i descended from my great great granddad's third wife . . .

lexsooner
6/3/2012, 07:07 PM
I watched the second part of part 2 and the entire part 3 episode. It was quite captivating and well-acted with one exception: Kevin Costner. He is way too laid back and emotionally-limited to handle the role Devil Anse Hatfield. In fact, I am not even convinced Costner is particularly talented as an actor. But then again, I heard he backed this project, so I guess he can play anyone he wants.

KantoSooner
6/4/2012, 12:31 PM
If'n you all want to see what became of those folks, I'd suggest you check out Winterbone. A fine uplifting romcom regarding white, rural life in Mizzou/Okla/Arkansas.

Paddle Faster!!! I hear banjo music!!

SoonerAtKU
6/4/2012, 01:55 PM
I dated a Hatfield girl who was distantly related. Neither one of us knew anything about it beyond "feudin' and fussin'".

olevetonahill
6/4/2012, 02:09 PM
I dated a Hatfield girl who was distantly related. Neither one of us knew anything about it beyond "feudin' and fussin'".

Sounds like me an All my exes

Howzit
6/4/2012, 03:57 PM

It's part fiction, you know.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2012, 05:15 PM
It's part fiction, you know.

ok, well my blame would be based on the part thats non-fiction

SicEmBaylor
6/4/2012, 06:47 PM
The general story was accurate, but obviously they had to create quite a bit of fiction to fill in the details. Nonetheless, I tend to favor the Hatfields though both sides were evidently full of lunatics.

Howzit
6/4/2012, 06:49 PM
I mean, there are not any REAL dragons.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2012, 07:45 PM
I mean, there are not any REAL dragons.

you're still upset over that whole Game of Thrones thing arent you?

Howzit
6/4/2012, 08:16 PM
Words are wind, little mister. Words. are. wind.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2012, 10:54 PM
Words are wind, little mister. Words. are. wind.

the wind beneath my dragon wings?

too soon?

Howzit
6/5/2012, 09:07 AM
Yes, that's not until book 5 dumas.

SoonerAtKU
6/6/2012, 12:46 PM
You know nothing, Jon Snowzit.