PDA

View Full Version : Kordell Stewart announces his retirement

Widescreen
5/30/2012, 04:36 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/05/30/kordell-stewart-officially-retires/

Kordell Stewart, who hasn't played in the NFL since 2005, officially retired on Wednesday.

I'm glad he let us all know.

nativesooner
5/30/2012, 04:50 PM
lol! what the heck!? Who's next, Boz?

sooneredaco
5/30/2012, 06:22 PM
Good excuse to have a party I guess.

Jacie
5/30/2012, 07:56 PM
So he hung around for six seasons waiting to see if a team would sign him and only now decided it was not going to happen?

picasso
5/31/2012, 12:25 AM
I'll never forget the Hail Mary at Michigan. We had just played golf and were grubbing at a popular south Tulsa grill. I yelled aloud (although I hate Colorado). Within seconds there were guys strolling back to our bar area to see what the fuss was about.

Poor married bastards.

Wishboned
5/31/2012, 12:28 AM
So he hung around for six seasons waiting to see if a team would sign him and only now decided it was not going to happen?

The first couple of years it was kind of sad. He stayed at home just in case someone called. Every once in a while he would pick up the phone to make sure there was still a dial tone.

agoo758
5/31/2012, 02:41 AM
The Mike Vick/ Vince Young of the nineties. Wasted talent.

Widescreen
5/31/2012, 07:14 AM
I'll never forget the Hail Mary at Michigan. We had just played golf and were grubbing at a popular south Tulsa grill. I yelled aloud (although I hate Colorado). Within seconds there were guys strolling back to our bar area to see what the fuss was about.

Poor married bastards.
We were eating at some Cherry Street restaurant (can't even remember what it was). Pretty amazing play.

Soonerwolf
5/31/2012, 07:51 AM
Fool

badger
5/31/2012, 08:10 AM
The quote Rush should have been referring to Kordell instead of Donovan with:

”I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there’s a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn’t deserve.”

Seriously --- the guy sucked. He lucked out by playing in Pittsburgh for awhile, where the fans will love you just by virtue of wearing a Steeler uniform. He might have been something had he been a running back or a receiver, but without that Hail Mary at Meatchicken, would he have ever had a chance of being an NFL quarterback?

Now Rush needs to go back and revise that quote for the media desperate for Tim Tebow to succeed.

But... nothing personal against Kordell. He just got way to many kudos for doing way too little. Kind of like Teebz is now, yes.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 08:15 AM

Poor married bastards.

Most exciting Hail Mary ever, IMO. Stewart was standing on his own 26 when he launched the pass and it was tipped right at the goal line by a receiver jumping as high as he could. 100,000+ Umich fans go silent instantly.

badger
5/31/2012, 09:05 AM
lol at #63 o-line guy that Kordell runs by after the catch. ah, the era of showing off your stomach cuz your jerseys wouldn't cover it :eek:

5Nt6HjqtJt8

EDIT: Also from that video --- Where's Waldo?
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ihse9x.png

Hint: Waldo is a CU fan wearing a "**** NEBRASKA" shirt and it made it on national television, hehe. 4:12 is when Waldo first appears

OULenexaman
5/31/2012, 09:21 AM
well we can all look forward to TO's announcement in 2018.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2012, 09:22 AM
TO just got fired from the wranglers.

badger
5/31/2012, 09:31 AM
TO just got fired from the wranglers.

Ja, and it wasn't because he's too old, too slow or not catching or anything. Apparently he just refused to go on away games and make a fan appearance locally. So, they're like "bye loser" and TO's like "Focused on getting back to the Neffel."

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2012, 09:37 AM
Is this some union dealio or such, to retire while attached to a team?

badger
5/31/2012, 09:38 AM
Is this some union dealio or such, to retire while attached to a team?

I remember Emmitt Smith getting a really short Cowboys contract so that he could retire a Cowboy. No idea if it's a union thing or not

Curly Bill
5/31/2012, 09:44 AM
It's symbolic, at least in Emmitt's case it was. He just wanted to retire as a Cowboy.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2012, 10:36 AM
Ja, and it wasn't because he's too old, too slow or not catching or anything. Apparently he just refused to go on away games and make a fan appearance locally. So, they're like "bye loser" and TO's like "Focused on getting back to the Neffel."He's 38.

ouleaf
5/31/2012, 10:55 AM
Great athlete, but only really had about 1 good year in the NFL, 2001 I think.

Wishboned
5/31/2012, 12:08 PM
Ja, and it wasn't because he's too old, too slow or not catching or anything. Apparently he just refused to go on away games and make a fan appearance locally. So, they're like "bye loser" and TO's like "Focused on getting back to the Neffel."

And they didn't just cut him. They took away his partial ownership stake in the team.

OULenexaman
5/31/2012, 12:29 PM
nothing like getting kicked off the team and having your nut sack cutoff too.....all in the same day.

badger
5/31/2012, 12:31 PM
And they didn't just cut him. They took away his partial ownership stake in the team.

I missed the real kicker though. Not that he was cut, not that he lost his partial ownership, but this:

His severance was 50 bucks. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrell-owens-gets-50-severance-allen-wranglers-threatens-150431179.html)

budbarrybob
5/31/2012, 12:43 PM
I missed the real kicker though. Not that he was cut, not that he lost his partial ownership, but this:

His severance was 50 bucks. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrell-owens-gets-50-severance-allen-wranglers-threatens-150431179.html)
That will pay for 2 hours of daycare for his kiddos

OULenexaman
5/31/2012, 01:07 PM

His severance was 50 bucks. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrell-owens-gets-50-severance-allen-wranglers-threatens-150431179.html) and then getting your face slapped with your nut sack....he has gotta be suicidal now.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/31/2012, 01:13 PM
I was at the game when the schooner fell over. The buffs were getting a pretty good laugh out of it even when they knew a man was hurt. A rain of ice and snacks was hurled at their bench. Stewart had a big grin. Colorado sucks. Crappy fans. Crappy team. They can forever suck it.

badger
5/31/2012, 01:19 PM
Colorado sucks. Crappy fans. Crappy team. They can forever suck it.

^^^ very true ^^^

I remember their students being so pizzed at taking an early three-touchdown deficit to Texas in their Homecoming game that they ripped off their free CU t-shirts and started throwing them at the field.

The one time I went up there, their students, a few minutes before halftime till whenver their drunk arses left shortly after halftime, they were doing nothing but throwing marshmallows at each other. I hear that battery-powered ones fly farther :eek:

picasso
5/31/2012, 01:37 PM
I've got a Dave Matthews DVD from Folsom Field, circa '02. Those kids in the crowd be trippin'.
I remember that year Cale Gundy was going off on them in the first half and sure enough, he sprains his ankle and we get stomped in the 2nd half. Gary Gibbs had the crappiest luck.

Wishboned
5/31/2012, 03:16 PM

Hopefully he'll put that money to good use by buying a shovel to dig an even bigger hole for himself.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/31/2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/05/30/kordell-stewart-officially-retires/

I'm glad he let us all know.Prolly had to do with money, one way or another.

5/31/2012, 03:49 PM
I've got a Dave Matthews DVD from Folsom Field, circa '02. Those kids in the crowd be trippin'.
I remember that year Cale Gundy was going off on them in the first half and sure enough, he sprains his ankle and we get stomped in the 2nd half. Gary Gibbs had the crappiest luck.Bill McCartney was a once-in-a-lifetime thingy for the buffaloes. They were never as good before or after him. Some were glad to see him leave, but I betcha they regretted it later.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 03:59 PM
There is a guy that works for me that is a CU grad, and two years ago for Christmas, his wife got him a little plaque, and it's a picture of "The Play" (That's what the CU fans call it), and there is a button on the back that once pushed plays the radio play-by-play of that Hail Mary. It was kinda cool the first time I heard it, but after about the first week, I started hiding the damn thing.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 04:04 PM
Bill McCartney was a once-in-a-lifetime thingy for the buffaloes. They were never as good before or after him. Some were glad to see him leave, but I betcha they regretted it later.

The majority of the CU fans wanted McCartney back. Instead, CU hired Jon Embree. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it...if you're a college football fan, the Denver/Boulder area is not a good place to be. Just no interest.

Last year, they sold a lot of tickets because of all the new PAC 12 teams coming to town, but I just read that season ticket sales are down for this year. Typical.

5/31/2012, 04:23 PM
Having a local pro team in football, or maybe any sport, is hard on the local college teams, with the only exceptions I can think of being usuc and the U, because of being in such glam environs.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 04:28 PM
Having a local pro team in football, or maybe any sport, is hard on the local college teams, with the only exceptions I can think of being usuc and the U, because of being in such glam environs.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. This town/state is all about the Broncos...everything else is a distant 2nd (well, CU football is a distant 5th behind the Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche and Air Force football).

5/31/2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it. This town/state is all about the Broncos...everything else is a distant 2nd (well, CU football is a distant 5th behind the Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche and Air Force football).Well, a service academy IS a sprcial deal, and it prolly helps by not being in the Denver area. Not much else, sports-wise down in Colo. Springs.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 04:58 PM
Well, a service academy IS a sprcial deal, and it prolly helps by not being in the Denver area. Not much else, sports-wise down in Colo. Springs.

Absolutely. There's some minor league stuff, but nothing special. I do try to take in an AFA game every year...it's always a good time. The pre-game fly-over is always cool (especially if they're playing Army or Navy).

picasso
5/31/2012, 05:31 PM
There is a guy that works for me that is a CU grad, and two years ago for Christmas, his wife got him a little plaque, and it's a picture of "The Play" (That's what the CU fans call it), and there is a button on the back that once pushed plays the radio play-by-play of that Hail Mary. It was kinda cool the first time I heard it, but after about the first week, I started hiding the damn thing.
"The play," should have been that extra down they got at Missouri.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 05:34 PM
"The play," should have been that extra down they got at Missouri.

I bring that up on a regular basis. The best part is that there is no way around it, they were given an extra down to win that game.

Seamus
5/31/2012, 07:44 PM
Bill McCartney was a once-in-a-lifetime thingy for the buffaloes. They were never as good before or after him. Some were glad to see him leave, but I betcha they regretted it later.

Man had the greatest recruiting gimmick in the history of college sports:

Come here and I'll let you bone my daughter. Hell, impregnate her if you want, and I'll still let you play!

Promisekeeper my azz.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 08:02 PM

I wanted McCartney gone and never regretted it. But I was not much of a Buff fan -- I wanted them to do well if they were not playing OU, but couldn't get too excited about it. He was a good coach but was Tebow-like with his religious belief flauntings.

5/31/2012, 08:06 PM
Man had the greatest recruiting gimmick in the history of college sports:

Come here and I'll let you bone my daughter. Hell, impregnate her if you want, and I'll still let you play!

Promisekeeper my azz.He was a great coach, and brought wins to the CU program like nobody else ever did. your libship hatred of Christianity is not all that persuasive, Seamus.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 08:08 PM
I bring that up on a regular basis. The best part is that there is no way around it, they were given an extra down to win that game.

I don't think you can conclude that. The extra down was used to spike the all because the sideline crew showed the wrong down on the sticks. Had the officials not screwed up, CU would have just run the play which was just a dive play. Maybe that play doesn't work, but there is no way to know that. MU got screwed by the refs, but not nearly the level that we got against the Ducks.

5/31/2012, 08:09 PM
I wanted McCartney gone and never regretted it. But I was not much of a Buff fan -- I wanted them to do well if they were not playing OU, but couldn't get too excited about it. He was a good coach but was Tebow-like with his religious belief flauntings.Heck, I wanted him gone, too. CU was leading the conference with him as coach, and his teams beat pore Gary Gibbs boys like a drum. I was VERY happy when McCartney was gone.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 08:10 PM
He was a great coach, and brought wins to the CU program like nobody else ever did. your libship hatred of Christianity is not all that persuasive, Seamus.

If he wore a turbin and pushed Allah in his spare time would you still call any objections libship? Assuming the same winning %, of course.

5/31/2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think you can conclude that. The extra down was used to spike the all because the sideline crew showed the wrong down on the sticks. Had the officials not screwed up, CU would have just run the play which was just a dive play. Maybe that play doesn't work, but there is no way to know that. MU got screwed by the refs, but not nearly the level that we got against the Ducks.That's what I thought happened, too. We have been shafted by the refs lots of times and places, and I suspect deliberately in too many cases.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 08:12 PM
Heck, I wanted him gone, too. CU was leading the conference with him as coach, and his teams beat pore Gary Gibbs boys like a drum. I was VERY happy when McCartney was gone.

I was living in Boulder and semi-following the team. I enjoyed the fact they could beat NU a few times; but didn't cry when McCartney left.

5/31/2012, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=BoulderSooner79;3481196]If he wore a turbin and pushed Allah in his spare time would you still call any objections libship? Assuming the same winning %, of course.QUOTE]What makes us think you would complain then?

picasso
5/31/2012, 08:53 PM
We were eating at some Cherry Street restaurant (can't even remember what it was). Pretty amazing play.
Had to be Full Moon.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think you can conclude that. The extra down was used to spike the all because the sideline crew showed the wrong down on the sticks. Had the officials not screwed up, CU would have just run the play which was just a dive play. Maybe that play doesn't work, but there is no way to know that. MU got screwed by the refs, but not nearly the level that we got against the Ducks.

I'll explain why I say that:

Last Friday, I was listening to the local afternoon sports radio shows that features Alfred Williams as one of the hosts. Alfred was on CU's national title team, and won a couple of Super Bowl's with the Broncos. He's kinda of the local celeb and the guy is really a great radio/talk show host. Anyway, the 5th down came up last Friday. It's the first time since he's been on the radio that he has talked about that game.

Williams said the the sideline official never flipped the down marker from 2nd to 3rd down. When they were in a timeout just prior, Williams (who was a team captain that year) told McCartney that the down marker was wrong, and he told Williams to "not say another word". McCartney realized the down never changed, which is why he ran the ball coming out of the timeout. The marker said 2nd down, although it was really third. He told Johnson he had to spike the ball if they didn't get in, as they would have one more (5th down) play. McCartney knew it was off when they went from 2nd to 3rd and goal, and the sideline official never made the change.

Had it not been for the failure to change the marker, McCartney said he was going to pass the ball (and get two final plays off, if the first was an incompletion). Instead, he was able to run first, then pass, then run again.

I get what you're saying about how there is no way to know for sure if Colorado would have scored if the official flipped the marker, but the fact that they scored on the final (and 5th down), it's hard for CU fans to argue otherwise. And actually most of them fully realize they won on 5 downs.

I think the 5th down screwed Mizzou a lot like the on-side kick screwed us. Both were horrible mistakes/calls that cost one team the game.

Edit: Just realized you were living in Boulder at the time, so you know who Alfred Williams is.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=BoulderSooner79;3481196]If he wore a turbin and pushed Allah in his spare time would you still call any objections libship? Assuming the same winning %, of course.QUOTE]What makes us think you would complain then?

God, Allah, Jesus - all the same to me. I support whoever wants to worship, but not to force it on me. There was some questions about football funds crossing over to McCartney's other activities, and I was a CO. taxpayer at the time. But nothing ever came of it and I don't consider it a big deal, just annoying.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 09:25 PM
I'll explain why I say that:

Last Friday, I was listening to the local afternoon sports radio shows that features Alfred Williams as one of the hosts. Alfred was on CU's national title team, and won a couple of Super Bowl's with the Broncos. He's kinda of the local celeb and the guy is really a great radio/talk show host. Anyway, the 5th down came up last Friday. It's the first time since he's been on the radio that he has talked about that game.

Williams said the the sideline official never flipped the down marker from 2nd to 3rd down. When they were in a timeout just prior, Williams (who was a team captain that year) told McCartney that the down marker was wrong, and he told Williams to "not say another word". McCartney realized the down never changed, which is why he ran the ball coming out of the timeout. The marker said 2nd down, although it was really third. He told Johnson he had to spike the ball if they didn't get in, as they would have one more (5th down) play. McCartney knew it was off when they went from 2nd to 3rd and goal, and the sideline official never made the change.

Had it not been for the failure to change the marker, McCartney said he was going to pass the ball (and get two final plays off, if the first was an incompletion). Instead, he was able to run first, then pass, then run again.

I get what you're saying about how there is no way to know for sure if Colorado would have scored if the official flipped the marker, but the fact that they scored on the final (and 5th down), it's hard for CU fans to argue otherwise. And actually most of them fully realize they won on 5 downs.

I think the 5th down screwed Mizzou a lot like the on-side kick screwed us. Both were horrible mistakes/calls that cost one team the game.

Edit: Just realized you were living in Boulder at the time, so you know who Alfred Williams is.

I still disagree for the exact reasons you explained. The fact the McCartney realized what was happening doesn't change things. The extra down was used to spike the ball and not to try to score. Sure it gave them more options and that was the screw job. But they would have used all 4 downs regardless and they may have scored anyway. It was like an extra timeout and that is no guarantee of success. It doesn't measure up to the Duck fiasco in my book because if they get the call right the game is over period. There is no chance that the Ducks win anyway. Okay, maybe some .0001% chance we pull an Okie-lite and fumble on a knee down. :)

5/31/2012, 09:31 PM
the common thread among Christian fearers: "but not to force it on me"-BoulderSooner

as if McCartney was forcing Christianity on someone? Some of you guys have been convinced the christians are gonna make you be moral gentlemen, or some hideous similar activity. I believe that is a very remote happening, but it seems to preoccupy the minds of some folks here. Like they worry about that more than terrorism or socialist despotism, I find that concern weird.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2012, 11:12 PM
the common thread among Christian fearers: "but not to force it on me"-BoulderSooner

as if McCartney was forcing Christianity on someone? Some of you guys have been convinced the christians are gonna make you be moral gentlemen, or some hideous similar activity. I believe that is a very remote happening, but it seems to preoccupy the minds of some folks here. Like they worry about that more than terrorism or socialist despotism, I find that concern weird.

Like I said, I don't see christianity as different (better or worse) than any other religion and I ain't scared of any of them. It happens to be more popular here and thus crosses over into democracy/government and that does cause problems. Our tensions with the middle east still have roots in the crusades. My only issue with McCartney was the sometimes fuzzy line between being a football coach and running his million man thing. He was a highly paid public employee that I was help paying with my taxes. I had no problem accepting that CU had a football program and his other activities were fine as long as they were supported by other means. It could still be annoying, but many public personalities are annoying and I don't have to watch.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 11:27 PM
BoulderSooner, we'll just have to agree to disagree (even though you know I'm right :) ).

Seriously though, if this gets too political, I'll have to ship it over to the Obama board. Which seems to be the most popular board this offseason. C'mon kickoff!!!

5/31/2012, 11:34 PM
I'm just glad CU is back in football neverneverland,
where it belongs.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 11:38 PM
I'm just glad CU is back in football neverneverland,
where it belongs.

That's something I think we can all agree with.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2012, 08:11 AM
Bill McCartney was a once-in-a-lifetime thingy for the buffaloes. They were never as good before or after him. Some were glad to see him leave, but I betcha they regretted it later.My pick would be Eddie Crowder, "okie from muskogee".
record not as good as mccartney, but was also AD after coaching. Made some bad choices tho, Fairbanks didn't do well.
I guess, just a nostalgia thing.

OULenexaman
6/1/2012, 10:22 AM
thread jacking at it's finest....

6/1/2012, 11:15 AM
My pick would be Eddie Crowder, "okie from muskogee".
record not as good as mccartney, but was also AD after coaching. Made some bad choices tho, Fairbanks didn't do well.
I guess, just a nostalgia thing.Crowder didn't even come close to the dominanance established by Bill McCartney at CU. I was one relieved Sooner when McCartney quit football.

badger
6/1/2012, 11:16 AM

It was a topic that was bound to be jacked. I mean, KORDELL STEWART RETIRES. lulz.

6/1/2012, 11:18 AM
It was a topic that was bound to be jacked. I mean, KORDELL STEWART RETIRES. lulz.How many threads stay on the original topic during the whole thread, anyway? Not many, I would bet.

The ascendancy of CU feetballs is a scary story by itself, and i'm kinda surprised I don't remember seeing much about that before on this board. Maybe becaude it coincided with OU's ineptness, after Switzer left.

the 90's-the decade that we do not discuss!

8timechamps
6/1/2012, 12:52 PM

Yeah...we pretty much put a gun to this thread's head and said "DRIVE!". Whoops.

jkjsooner
6/1/2012, 10:18 PM

There is a way around it. The down marker was wrong early in that set of downs and CU spiked the ball to stop the clock.

Missouri got screwed because CU was allowed to spike the ball and regroup but taking that last play away from CU would have been an even bigger screw job.

Edit: Just finished reading this thread and noticed that this point has been made.