PDA

View Full Version : Did you attend/graduate from college?

badger
5/29/2012, 04:33 PM
This poll is anonymous.

EDIT: It should be assumed that if you get a masters/doctorate you also have a bachelors/associates, so just check the higher one, don't try to check em both, hehe

delhalew
5/29/2012, 04:39 PM
I'm not shy. While I did attend four semesters, it turns out Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll is not a major offered at OU.

badger
5/29/2012, 04:47 PM
I won't be shy either -- bachelors in journalism, minor in communication.

I am also not shy to admit that I am the family idiot. My genius brother got the sciencey masters and doctorate, while my parents worked many years as registered nurses (the RN that requires the degree, heh).

As a family idiot, I do not look down on those that have less education than me, because I am surrounded by people more educated regularly, myself. I also sympathize with those that have a(n older) sibling to remind them how academically inferior they are.

And I also encourage others to not look down on the lesser academics either, or at least don't do it outloud. Idiots don't appreciate that!

pphilfran
5/29/2012, 04:48 PM
I'll just cut and paste from the other thread...

Two years at Cameron heavy in business and math...promoted to store manager at a store in Hereford, Tx..I was 23 and making 30k a year with bonus...

I took a couple of classes at WT..more business....then the company filed Chapter 11...they eventually went out of business...

in 1978 I applied at Goodyear and was hired as a production worker...$6.27 an hour...went to Vo Tech and took some electrical classes and a couple of basic computer courses at Cameron...

In 85 was offered a position in Tyler for a new plant start up...stayed there till 2000...took a few classes at TJC and UT Tyler..stuff the company would pay for...

Transferred to Union City, Tn and one business class at UT Martin...

I have about 100 hours that don't amount to chit....

pphilfran
5/29/2012, 04:49 PM
I won't be shy either -- bachelors in journalism, minor in communication.

I am also not shy to admit that I am the family idiot. My genius brother got the sciencey masters and doctorate, while my parents worked many years as registered nurses (the RN that requires the degree, heh).

As a family idiot, I do not look down on those that have less education than me, because I am surrounded by people more educated regularly, myself. I also sympathize with those that have a(n older) sibling to remind them how academically inferior they are.

And I also encourage others to not look down on the lesser academics either, or at least don't do it outloud. Idiots don't appreciate that!

Most idiotic post ever...lowlife...

C&CDean
5/29/2012, 04:51 PM
BS and Master's. UCO and OU.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2012, 04:53 PM
BS. Vanderbilt.

badger
5/29/2012, 04:59 PM
Most idiotic post ever...lowlife...

Oh yeah, like I've never heard that one before. :P

Frozen Sooner
5/29/2012, 05:43 PM
Pfft. My highest degree ain't on there. I'll go ahead and count a J.D. as a doctorate (though it's laughable to call it one)

BA from Oklahoma
JD from Alabama.

GDC
5/29/2012, 06:56 PM
BS from NSU
MS from UTEP
PhD from OU

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2012, 07:18 PM
Baylor is my lady, and all I want to do is get back inside her. =(

hawaii 5-0
5/29/2012, 07:28 PM
BS University of Tulsa

3 years an Old Cate dorm rat.

5-0

fadada1
5/29/2012, 08:01 PM
BA - OU
MS - U. of Florida

1 semester of PhD work - got tired of reading/writing/not sleeping

Boomer.....
5/29/2012, 08:29 PM
BS from OU. I would have gotten a masters but they didn't offer it in my field.

3rdgensooner
5/29/2012, 09:40 PM
BA -- OU
Ph.D. -- Tulsa

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2012, 10:30 PM
Bs in what? My son is considering vandy.

Double- English/Poli Sci, Minor in Spanish. I know... not very "S".

I also took enough engineering req courses... Computer Sci, Calculus, Physics, etc. to earn the "S" instead of the "A".

I would recommend Vandy, much more so now than when I attended. It has always been a good school. But it had, for many years, a well-earned reputation as a blue-bloods "plan b" school. As in... it was the school the DuPont heir attended if he or she couldn't get into Harvard or Yale. And the Greek system was allowed way too much sway over campus life.

There may still be some of that, but overall it has changed a great deal the last 20 years. The school has made a very serious commitment to pursuing excellence and diversity, and to becoming a truly national university. I visited about four years ago and could not believe the changes to the campus infrastructure and student body. And Nashville is a very underrated city. It has a GREAT music scene, and not just country. So more than enough to keep one occupied for four years.

Major drawback: it is VERY expensive.

Minor drawback: it is HIGHLY competitive. That was tough for me... small town kid from Western Oklahoma. I was competitive, but a lot of the students there are ready to eat your liver to get on the right hand downward slope of that bell curve. For many students the goal from the second they set foot on campus is graduate school, and they are competing for the best graduate school admission they can obtain.

Take a look:

http://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/profile/

P.S. I hope you and/or your son aren't stressing the college choice too much. Best academic advice I ever received was from my grandfather, OU graduate and law school graduate early 30's: You can get a great education anywhere there is a good library.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2012, 10:32 PM
BS - WBU
Masters - DBU

Midtowner
5/29/2012, 10:35 PM
BA UCO
JD OCU

Skysooner
5/29/2012, 10:37 PM
BS, MS, MBA. Two different schools and BS/MS in different subjects.

BS/MS OU
MBA UoP

badger
5/30/2012, 08:03 AM
Surely there is at least one poster here who hasn't attended college... do I need to stress once again that this poll is anonymous? Or that even if you don't believe me, that nobody cares if you haven't attended college?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/30/2012, 08:11 AM
Yes.

cleller
5/30/2012, 08:20 AM
BA - OU

And I proudly add that my wife, daughter and son-in-law all got their undergrad degrees at OU.

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 08:23 AM
Surely there is at least one poster here who hasn't attended college... do I need to stress once again that this poll is anonymous? Or that even if you don't believe me, that nobody cares if you haven't attended college?

Why is it surprising that so far ALL have at least attended ?

Curly Bill
5/30/2012, 08:40 AM
BS - Southeastern Oklahoma

badger
5/30/2012, 09:10 AM
Why is it surprising that so far ALL have at least attended ?

Because sometimes you all sound like 5-year-olds and 5-year-olds usually haven't attended college ;)

C&CDean
5/30/2012, 09:19 AM
Because sometimes you all sound like 5-year-olds and 5-year-olds usually haven't attended college ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark.

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 09:26 AM
Again I agree with Dean
I resemble that remark
Ima Drunk 5 year old :very_drunk:

Curly Bill
5/30/2012, 09:29 AM
My deal is I don't come on here to act mature, or get all serious. I have to do that in my real job.

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 09:32 AM
My deal is I don't come on here to act mature, or get all serious. I have to do that in my real job.

Heh

pphilfran
5/30/2012, 10:01 AM
Only three of us attended but didn't graduate?

Losers...three losers...

OULenexaman
5/30/2012, 10:44 AM
4 now...

Petro-Sooner
5/30/2012, 12:10 PM
Two bachelors. OU

TheHumanAlphabet
5/30/2012, 12:16 PM
BS, MS and Ph.D. --- OU

pphilfran
5/30/2012, 12:18 PM
I'm impressed...40% Masters or Doctorate...

Curly Bill
5/30/2012, 12:24 PM

I know. I have a bachelors and feel like a big ol loser!

...I think some of y'all must be lying! LOL

pphilfran
5/30/2012, 12:26 PM
I know. I have a bachelors and feel like a big ol loser!

...I think some of y'all must be lying! LOL

I am changing my story...I actually received three doctorates by the age of 14...

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2012, 12:27 PM
i DID go to OU right out of high school - who knew that the Coors Light Management degree plan was only a semester long?

i got my BS at night - over 20 years - during my time in the military......piece mealing it from one school to another is not the recommended way to go - but i did it...

the Master of Arts was just for fun and to hang something on the wall

Curly Bill
5/30/2012, 12:31 PM
I am changing my story...I actually received three doctorates by the age of 14...

Awesome! And I didn't want to say so earlier, but I performed the first one hand tied behind my back heart transplant when I was 14.

Eielson
5/30/2012, 12:34 PM
Do I say "did not graduate" if I'm still in school? That phrasing seems a little bit harsh. :(

SanJoaquinSooner
5/30/2012, 01:50 PM
Do I say "did not graduate" if I'm still in school? That phrasing seems a little bit harsh. :(

You joined SF in 2005, and you still haven't graduated?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
5/30/2012, 01:58 PM
BFA from OU. 1986. Walker Tower. Shoulda graduated earlier but I...missed a few classes.

Came back on leave from the Air Force to take an Intersession course with Dr. Savage.

badger
5/30/2012, 02:21 PM

Awww, nobody's gonna label you a loser.*

Just check the loser box already, loser. ;)

* 2008 Big 12 Champions

OULenexaman
5/30/2012, 02:35 PM
Awesome! And I didn't want to say so earlier, but I performed the first one hand tied behind my back heart transplant when I was 14. Dick Cheney......is that you?

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2012, 02:52 PM

Meh. All the JDs probably checked this box, since there wasn't anything for professional degree.

Trust me, I'm not asking anyone to call me "doctor" anytime soon.

setem
5/30/2012, 02:54 PM
BS in Sports Education - Minor in Sociology - University of Oklahoma

delhalew
5/30/2012, 11:06 PM
Only three of us attended but didn't graduate?

Losers...three losers...

Heh. When I think of the things I wouldn't have done if I had still been in school, I have to be OK with my decision. There is a valid argument that I should have gone back to finish before having a family, but I feel good about it.

8timechamps
5/30/2012, 11:27 PM
Two of the most (financially) successful people I know are college drop-outs. So, my idea of what makes a person successful has little to do with their formal education. (That's to help the losers feel better :D )

Started at OU, and made it almost two years before I decided to join the military, which was supposed to be in the reserves, but the government decided they were kidding and they really meant "we're going to war with Iraq, so you're now active duty". Came back and finished at UCO.

Moved to Colorado, attended the College for Financial Planning and attained my CFP.

Other than that...I'm a dumb ****...but a million times smarter than you losers.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2012, 09:25 AM
8X, no your not (a dumb ****). Congrats on your success and thanks for your service... A good friend from high school was a great programmer, but lousy student. He attended Auburn, but never finished his degree. He had a program, back in the DOS days that allowed people to operate their PC from a menu rather than DOS syntax programming, he made a mint from that program, then developed a packaging company to package software and other items. He is now an executive in charge of product development for a medical device firm. A degree can be helpful and give you some credibility, but hard work and having a service others want is important as well.

rock on sooner
5/31/2012, 09:57 AM
BA from East Central in Ada..now it is University, when I was
there it was a State College..

BigTip
5/31/2012, 01:07 PM
Two of the most (financially) successful people I know are college drop-outs. So, my idea of what makes a person successful has little to do with their formal education. (That's to help the losers feel better :D ).

Michael Dell
Bill Gates
Steve Jobs

Not a bad list of college drop outs.

BigTip
5/31/2012, 01:09 PM

Yes, but everyone uses proper syntax while acting like 5 year olds!

badger
5/31/2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, but everyone uses proper syntax while acting like 5 year olds!

http://www.protoolerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/c64_syntax_error.gif

pphilfran
5/31/2012, 02:04 PM
It didn't really hurt me too much....though I had to reinvent myself many times over the years....

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 04:09 PM
Michael Dell
Bill Gates
Steve Jobs

I wish I knew any of those guys. They certainly make a strong case for why you don't necessarily need a degree. :D

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 04:11 PM
It didn't really hurt me too much....though I had to reinvent myself many times over the years....

It all boils down to how hard you work. If you're ambitious and have a good work ethic, a degree may open a few extra doors, but you can certainly do just fine without one.

I went to high school with a kid that started working for McDonalds as a Sophomore, never went to college and now owns three franchises. He has never worked anywhere but McDonalds.

3rdgensooner
5/31/2012, 08:55 PM
I'm a dumb ****...but a million times smarter than you losers.Nuh uh

picasso
5/31/2012, 08:59 PM
I got a degree in Commercial Art from Northeastern State in '92. Then I attended art school at the Institute of American Indian Arts in Santa Fe. At that point school was a total burn out brah.
If I could do it all over I would either go to illustration school in NYC or film school on the left coast.
I would have also taken business and economics courses.

MsProudSooner
5/31/2012, 10:20 PM
It all boils down to how hard you work. If you're ambitious and have a good work ethic, a degree may open a few extra doors, but you can certainly do just fine without one.

That has absolutely been true in the past. I fear it won't be as true in the future. I know too many hardworking people who have been laid off and had to start over in their 50's. No matter how hard they work, how ambitious, how good their work ethic is, they won't ever recover what they have lost over the past few years.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 11:32 PM
That has absolutely been true in the past. I fear it won't be as true in the future. I know too many hardworking people who have been laid off and had to start over in their 50's. No matter how hard they work, how ambitious, how good their work ethic is, they won't ever recover what they have lost over the past few years.

When you get into your later (working) years, it's a lot harder to 'start-over', and I think a degree means even less at that point (if you're trying to stay in the same industry you've gained your skill/experience in). I agree with that much, but I don't necessarily agree that it can't be recovered. I don't plan to ever retire. I mean I'll certainly take more time off and longer duration away from my business, but I suspect I'll always do something. There is still opportunity out there for people with the aforementioned qualities.

Eielson
6/1/2012, 01:06 AM
You joined SF in 2005, and you still haven't graduated?

Graduate? I've barely started!

SicEmBaylor
6/1/2012, 02:13 AM
Graduate? I've barely started!
Preach it, bro!

badger
6/1/2012, 08:30 AM

It probably also sucks for those that remember when college was actually affordable for a student working a summer job, to discover these days that there is hardly any ways to avoid going into debt to get a degree.

Reminds me a King of the Hill exchange between an airline worker and Hank:

Airliner: $800.
Hank: What? But I paid $230 for my ticket. That is the price I want!
Airliner: Sir, you purchased your ticket 8 months ago and you're trying to purchase this ticket on the day of flight.
Hank: Oh all right, but in the memo line I'm writing "Unfair."

Eielson
6/1/2012, 03:10 PM
Preach it, bro!

Seriously, though. I started posting on this board when I was about 12.

olevetonahill
6/1/2012, 03:15 PM
Seriously, though. I started posting on this board when I was about 12.

We could tell, Ya was always Crying

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2012, 03:17 PM
BBA from UNT in Operations and Supply Chain Management

With 9 years in the field (4 as director) I'm thinking of going back for my masters, just trying to find a school locally that has one that i can get in to. really regretting not trying harder my first go around.

5thYearSooner
6/1/2012, 03:47 PM
Effing Nerds..

BigTip
6/1/2012, 04:28 PM
Michael Dell
Bill Gates
Steve Jobs

I wish I knew any of those guys. They certainly make a strong case for why you don't necessarily need a degree. :D

Well..Michael Dell founded Dell Computers, Bill Gates had something to do with Microsoft, Steve Jo...oh, wait, that's probably not what you meant, is it? :tongue:

I agree that degrees open doors. But it's up to you what happens after you get in that door.
However I did read an article recently that said what a shortage of skilled tradesmen there is. There are plenty of rich and successful A/C guys, car repairman, etc out there. I tell my son, if you are the best at something, you'll be successful. I don't care if it's a ditch digger, the most successful one in your town, is doing well.

Soonerfan88
6/1/2012, 06:27 PM
BSBA-Human Resource Management from Columbia College.

I started the traditional route, decided I didn't like it, and joined the Army. Twentysome years later, finally finished the degree.

Frozen Sooner
6/1/2012, 09:55 PM
When you get into your later (working) years, it's a lot harder to 'start-over', and I think a degree means even less at that point (if you're trying to stay in the same industry you've gained your skill/experience in). I agree with that much, but I don't necessarily agree that it can't be recovered. I don't plan to ever retire. I mean I'll certainly take more time off and longer duration away from my business, but I suspect I'll always do something. There is still opportunity out there for people with the aforementioned qualities.

Startin' over like I did, I plan to die in the harness.

Eielson
6/2/2012, 01:00 AM
We could tell, Ya was always Crying

For your sake, I hope that's not true. Otherwise that means that, as a grown man, you knowingly argued with a teenager over the internet.

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2012, 01:24 AM
For your sake, I hope that's not true. Otherwise that means that, as a grown man, you knowingly argued with a teenager over the internet.
Wait....are you, CK?

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 08:54 AM
Wait....are you, CK?

Naw Eielson is OK just young CK is a moran

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 08:56 AM

Ya know that is so true. This here internet comes with proper I.D. so we all know who and what we are chattin with.
How ya Know Im a Grown man? I could be a very young sexy vibrant woman .

Jacie
6/2/2012, 09:03 AM
There are plenty of rich and successful A/C guys, car repairman, etc out there. I tell my son, if you are the best at something, you'll be successful. I don't care if it's a ditch digger, the most successful one in your town, is doing well.

When daughter stated her 1-year old son was definitely going to college it was practically blasphemy when i asked, "What if he doesn't want to go to college?" She is still young and just received a masters to teach elementary kids, so the idea that any child of hers is not college material is unthinkable.

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2012, 04:30 PM
When daughter stated her 1-year old son was definitely going to college it was practically blasphemy when i asked, "What if he doesn't want to go to college?" She is still young and just received a masters to teach elementary kids, so the idea that any child of hers is not college material is unthinkable.

Why does teaching elementary school kids require a masters? Baylor had an Education program, and I never understood why someone would pay private school tuition to get an Education degree. I have the same question about why someone would get a graduate degree in the same.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/2/2012, 04:44 PM
Why does teaching elementary school kids require a masters? Baylor had an Education program, and I never understood why someone would pay private school tuition to get an Education degree. I have the same question about why someone would get a graduate degree in the same.

The short answer is "a masters gives you a bump in the pay scale in most districts." It could also give you an advantage in job assignments when competition is involved.

If one has experience teaching, going back for graduate work also allows you to integrate your experiences with the coursework that allows one to gain a theoretical perspective that is not possible for an undergrad with no teaching experience.

BTW, Private school costs are not necessarily more expensive for grad students - it depends on the package and the school.

marfacowboy
6/2/2012, 07:35 PM
B.A. Amherst...Spent a year in grad school (English), got an undergrad pregnant, dropped out, got a job, got married and ate beans for a long time. Started a cloud computing company in 2003 with $2M in VC money that I sold in December. Now I'm writing poems again. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/2/2012, 09:27 PM
B.A. Amherst...Spent a year in grad school (English), got an undergrad pregnant, dropped out, got a job, got married and ate beans for a long time. Started a cloud computing company in 2003 with $2M in VC money that I sold in December. Now I'm writing poems again. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Was that U Mass Amherst or Amherst College?

Frozen Sooner
6/2/2012, 10:22 PM

I can't believe someone with a poli sci degree would ask this question.

3rdgensooner
6/2/2012, 10:29 PM
I can't believe someone with a poli sci degree would ask this question.He has a poli sci degree...........in his mind.

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 10:38 PM

He Dont have a Degree, he never Graduated

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2012, 11:08 PM
He has a poli sci degree...........in his mind.

Hey, to be fair, I went longer than anyone who did graduate!

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 11:17 PM

Thats cause ya was going the wrong way :very_drunk:

SanJoaquinSooner
6/2/2012, 11:27 PM

He has a poli sci degree...........in his mind.

why would you pay private school tuition to not graduate?

OU_Sooners75
6/2/2012, 11:27 PM
I didnt get to vote...too late...but Some College, but did not graduate.

Need to go back and finish it up though.

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 11:28 PM

He dint Pay, Daddy did.

3rdgensooner
6/2/2012, 11:47 PM
Hey, to be fair, I went longer than anyone who did graduate!No.

olevetonahill
6/2/2012, 11:54 PM
No.

Think he did . 8 years if I member right

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2012, 12:21 AM
Because I didn't plan on not graduating when I started.

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2012, 12:21 AM
He dint Pay, Daddy did.
Can you tell me how many people attend a private school whose daddy's didn't pay? If you can afford to put yourself through private school then you likely don't need to go to school.

3rdgensooner
6/3/2012, 12:25 AM
Think he did . 8 years if I member rightI have more cumulative years than that, but I won't push the issue because he needs something to hang that tuition bill on.

On edit:

Can you tell me how many people attend a private school whose daddy's didn't pay? I'd raise my hand again, but I fear I might be harshing your mellow.

yermom
6/3/2012, 12:44 AM

yermom disagrees

Jacie
6/3/2012, 11:07 AM

In New York, you can teach with a bachelors degree, however, you will only have provisional certification. Full certification requires a masters degree. New teachers have five years from the time they receive provisional certification, though extensions are granted. The state requires all active teachers be fully certified or working towards it.

FWIW, teachers certified by New York are in demand in most states (NY has reciprocity with 38 states) and out of state recruiters were a fixture at the teaching university i attended, offering 5-figure bonuses to successful hirees.

In my daughter's case, she went back for the masters degree to teach because her bachelors degree was not in teaching.

marfacowboy
6/3/2012, 12:52 PM
Was that U Mass Amherst or Amherst College?
Amherst College

FirstandGoal
6/3/2012, 04:06 PM
Poll is closed, but I'll add in my vote here anyway.

Graduated with a Bachelor of Science from the OU College of Pharmacy in '91. In '99 the degree was upgraded to a PharmD (as it very well should have been)

Curly Bill
6/3/2012, 08:55 PM

Right there with ya on this one, and I know any number of people who have done it. Afterwards when they're repaying student loans it doesn't make much sense to them either.

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2012, 09:48 PM
In New York, you can teach with a bachelors degree, however, you will only have provisional certification. Full certification requires a masters degree. New teachers have five years from the time they receive provisional certification, though extensions are granted. The state requires all active teachers be fully certified or working towards it.

FWIW, teachers certified by New York are in demand in most states (NY has reciprocity with 38 states) and out of state recruiters were a fixture at the teaching university i attended, offering 5-figure bonuses to successful hirees.

In my daughter's case, she went back for the masters degree to teach because her bachelors degree was not in teaching.

I imagine this is the result of the predictable copulation between the state teachers' union and the legislature. Neither your daughter nor anyone else should need a Masters degree to teach elementary school kids to spell "Cat."

A BA in Ed. should be fine for anyone teaching pre-8th; however, I'm of the opinion that HS teachers should be required to have a degree in the actual subject they teach.

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2012, 09:49 PM
Right there with ya on this one, and I know any number of people who have done it. Afterwards when they're repaying student loans it doesn't make much sense to them either.

Yep. An education degree from NSU works just as well for teaching 3rd graders as an education degree from Harvard at a fraction of the cost.

Collier11
6/3/2012, 10:20 PM
Bachelors from OU

Eielson
6/3/2012, 10:49 PM
Wait....are you, CK?

Don't you dare...

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2012, 10:49 PM
Bachelors from OU
They need to find dates.

*ba* *dum* *dum*

Eielson
6/3/2012, 10:50 PM
I could be a very young sexy vibrant woman .

Please let this be true. I've fantasized about it many times.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/22/2012, 06:56 PM
College is fun.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/squeeze.jpg

6/29/2012, 11:19 AM
BA, SWOSU. Dawgs, yo.

yermom
6/29/2012, 11:49 AM
TIL 12 is a chick

6/29/2012, 12:02 PM
I fling lady pads in your general direction.

yermom
6/29/2012, 12:27 PM
i don't know what goes on at SWOSU, but i think you are the first person with a Y chromosome i have spoken to from there

6/29/2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much a chick school. Teachers and pharmacists. The occasional football player with man-plumbing.

I miss college.

yermom
6/29/2012, 03:40 PM
my mom almost went to pharmacy school there, if i remember right

Jerk
6/30/2012, 11:19 AM
BA in Basket Weaving
UCU 1999

8timechamps
7/2/2012, 04:13 PM
BA, SWOSU. Dawgs, yo.

My ex-wife is a SWOSU grad. That's all I have to say about that.

diverdog
7/3/2012, 06:26 AM

In a few weeks we are taking my son to see Amherst and MIT. He wants to go to MIT if he can get in.

Sooner_Bob
7/3/2012, 08:10 AM
Bachelor's from East Central and a Master's from Tulane.

captain_surly
7/3/2012, 11:34 AM
BS in Accounting with double major in Political Science and minor in Economics from NSU in 1979. Worked part time and had generous parents so no debt post graduation.

Never had a class with a graduate assistant, almost all full professors and a couple of part time CPAs. I can't imagine a better education for the money and the social life was outstanding as well.

The guy who is president today was my professor for my first polysci class. Bigtime Palistinian symphathizer then and now but a really good teacher who gave a ****. Had several Accounting classes run by a woman we called Seargant Steerwalt who at one time had the highest score ever in Oklahoma on the CPA exam. If you didn't do your homework she would call on you in class.

My only beef with NSU is the name change. I don't belong to the Alumni Assocation because of it. I never signed up to be a Riverhawk.

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2012, 01:00 PM
Bachelor's from East Central and a Master's from Tulane.
Talk about movin' up in the world.

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2012, 01:03 PM
BS in Accounting with double major in Political Science and minor in Economics from NSU in 1979. Worked part time and had generous parents so no debt post graduation.

Never had a class with a graduate assistant, almost all full professors and a couple of part time CPAs. I can't imagine a better education for the money and the social life was outstanding as well.

The guy who is president today was my professor for my first polysci class. Bigtime Palistinian symphathizer then and now but a really good teacher who gave a ****. Had several Accounting classes run by a woman we called Seargant Steerwalt who at one time had the highest score ever in Oklahoma on the CPA exam. If you didn't do your homework she would call on you in class.

My only beef with NSU is the name change. I don't belong to the Alumni Assocation because of it. I never signed up to be a Riverhawk.
I have never understood the appeal of 13th grade...err NSU. The campus is wretched. I don't understand why NSU puts so much money into its satellite schools instead of upgrading that dump in Tahlequah. If I had to go to an NSU system school, I'd go to NSU-BA with considerably nicer facilities. Even the Muskogee campus is better.

stoopified
7/3/2012, 04:04 PM
Yes / no

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2012, 05:09 PM
Sic 'Em, you're doing an awful lot of ****-talking about other people's universities and degrees for a guy who doesn't have a degree. Just sayin'.

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2012, 06:08 PM
Sic 'Em, you're doing an awful lot of ****-talking about other people's universities and degrees for a guy who doesn't have a degree. Just sayin'.
Cool insight, bro.

PalmettoSooner
7/3/2012, 09:02 PM
Started off at a small college in South Carolina, dropped out to join the Army, and now in my JR year earning my degree through OU.

picasso
7/4/2012, 12:18 AM
Sic'Em, who gives a flying **** if a campus has nicer begonias or not? NSU is wretched? You obviously don't know Jack. Or Jill.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 05:13 AM
Sic'Em, who gives a flying **** if a campus has nicer begonias or not? NSU is wretched? You obviously don't know Jack. Or Jill.
A lot of people. And unless you went to NSU, I'd be willing to bet I know quite a bit more about NSU than you do. And, not that I should have to explain this to FS, I never said anything about the quality of education at NSU. Whether or not I graduated doesn't have a damned thing to do with what any given campus is like, but FS really gets off on constantly pointing that fact out.

Just so you know, the "13th Grade" remark has nothing to do with NSU's academics. Growing up, we'd often refer to NSU as "13th Grade" because such a high % of our graduates went to NSU due to its proximity. Thus going to college with largely the same group of people you went to school with from K-12 made it "13th grade."

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2012, 12:16 PM
Actually, what I get off on is pointing out what an elitist prick you are about other people's degrees and other people's universities when you don't have a degree. I understand and respect why you didn't finish, but get off other people's nuts.

If you think "13th Grade" isn't a slap at a school's academics, it's not even worth trying to explain it to you.

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 12:58 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-k4x-_wriSyM/T9TVLUKTftI/AAAAAAAACYI/BMhMR0aqWPU/s1600/user6133_pic34477_1326494238.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
7/4/2012, 01:27 PM
Ooooo...I'd like to have that dutch oven.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 02:15 PM
Actually, what I get off on is pointing out what an elitist prick you are about other people's degrees and other people's universities when you don't have a degree. I understand and respect why you didn't finish, but get off other people's nuts.

If you think "13th Grade" isn't a slap at a school's academics, it's not even worth trying to explain it to you.

You think it isn't a slap because you don't know a f'n thing about NSU, Tahlequah, or the surrounding area. 13th Grade was never a reference about academics -- it was always a reference to how many in each class attended NSU. You don't know this because you likely have never stepped foot anywhere near the area so unless you grew up here how about you STFU and move along. Your ignorance on this issue is palpable. And, once again, I never said anything about anyone's degree but please keep on creating an issue where none existed.

Don't you have an ambulance to chase?

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2012, 02:52 PM
And, once again, I never said anything about anyone's degree but please keep on creating an issue where none existed.

Ooooh, ambulance chaser jokes. Original. Don't you have a wedding to bridesmaid?

Chuck Bao
7/4/2012, 02:54 PM
I know nothing about this current slap fest and NSU. But, I am going to lodge my own complaint right here and now.

My grandmother went to school at what is now Southeastern. My mom got her bachelors and masters at Southeastern, as did my older sister. I got my bachelors there.

Then both of my nieces turned full traitors by attending ECU. I can't stand it. Orange and tigers? I asked them why they betrayed the family so much and they said that they wanted to get a little further away from their high school class. My family can afford to pay tuition at OU or Baylor, so I don't get it.

I'm biting my tongue because I believe that undergraduate degrees don't matter much, but then get a graduate degree at a much more prestigious school does. Will someone please knock that into their heads?

picasso
7/4/2012, 07:59 PM
A lot of people. And unless you went to NSU, I'd be willing to bet I know quite a bit more about NSU than you do. And, not that I should have to explain this to FS, I never said anything about the quality of education at NSU. Whether or not I graduated doesn't have a damned thing to do with what any given campus is like, but FS really gets off on constantly pointing that fact out.

Just so you know, the "13th Grade" remark has nothing to do with NSU's academics. Growing up, we'd often refer to NSU as "13th Grade" because such a high % of our graduates went to NSU due to its proximity. Thus going to college with largely the same group of people you went to school with from K-12 made it "13th grade."
I'm willing to bet I know more about that school and that town than you'll ever know in your sex deprived brain.
I happened to study painting there under a whacked out genius who had two degrees from the University of Texas.

SicEmBaylor
7/5/2012, 12:05 PM
I'm willing to bet I know more about that school and that town than you'll ever know in your sex deprived brain.
I happened to study painting there under a whacked out genius who had two degrees from the University of Texas.
....which is why I said, "UNLESS YOU WENT TO NSU."

Read, sir. Read.

Once again, NSU is a dump. I'm not saying a thing about the quality of an NSU education, but I find it perplexing that NSU puts so much money into their satellite schools instead of at least putting some lipstick on that pig in the T-Quah. I'm also not sure how it could ever really feel like college since (and I'm making this statistic up) around 40% of your college-bound classmates followed you there.

Look, you can love NSU. That's fine by me -- everyone's taste is different. I grew up going to NSU for 20-some odd years for school events, debate tournaments, visiting friends, and then the later-period SicEmEx years. I just don't like the place.

I also don't want to hear another damned thing about how I shouldn't have any sort of opinion of any school because I didn't finish at Baylor. How often do you ask people if they actually attended OU before they start talking smack about another school, especially UT? Should only graduates of OU have an opinion? How many of those people have even stepped foot on UT's campus? No, the real issue here is that you don't like my opinion so rather than disagree with the merits you dismiss it entirely.

Petro-Sooner
7/5/2012, 01:14 PM
I started out at NSU for a couple for years in the early 90s. Yeah it wasnt all that. Went back last summer to see a friend and they had improved it quite a bit. Several new buildings. I was impressed.

SicEmBaylor
7/5/2012, 01:57 PM
I started out at NSU for a couple for years in the early 90s. Yeah it wasnt all that. Went back last summer to see a friend and they had improved it quite a bit. Several new buildings. I was impressed.
They built the computer center in the mid-late'ish 90s and it's still in really good shape. Good building. They also built a new dorm building which was pretty decent, but SicEmEx and all of my friends lived in the old dorms. Those old dorms felt like sleeping in a Romanian apartment block circa 1975.

I haven't been up there since 2007 or '08 though.

3rdgensooner
7/5/2012, 10:11 PM
...I also don't want to hear another damned thing about how I shouldn't have any sort of opinion of any school because I didn't finish at Baylor. How often do you ask people if they actually attended OU before they start talking smack about another school, especially UT? Should only graduates of OU have an opinion? How many of those people have even stepped foot on UT's campus? No, the real issue here is that you don't like my opinion so rather than disagree with the merits you dismiss it entirely.You can't use UT as an analogy for anything other than perhaps Satan University. A completely different set of rules apply.

picasso
7/5/2012, 11:17 PM
....which is why I said, "UNLESS YOU WENT TO NSU."

Read, sir. Read.

Once again, NSU is a dump. I'm not saying a thing about the quality of an NSU education, but I find it perplexing that NSU puts so much money into their satellite schools instead of at least putting some lipstick on that pig in the T-Quah. I'm also not sure how it could ever really feel like college since (and I'm making this statistic up) around 40% of your college-bound classmates followed you there.

Look, you can love NSU. That's fine by me -- everyone's taste is different. I grew up going to NSU for 20-some odd years for school events, debate tournaments, visiting friends, and then the later-period SicEmEx years. I just don't like the place.

I also don't want to hear another damned thing about how I shouldn't have any sort of opinion of any school because I didn't finish at Baylor. How often do you ask people if they actually attended OU before they start talking smack about another school, especially UT? Should only graduates of OU have an opinion? How many of those people have even stepped foot on UT's campus? No, the real issue here is that you don't like my opinion so rather than disagree with the merits you dismiss it entirely.
Perhaps you should take your own advice.
I've been to UT's campus, it's beautiful. Same as Arky. And NSU's is not that bad.

picasso
7/5/2012, 11:22 PM
Andwho said ANYBODY loves NSU? I went there to play basketball, I had no idea where Tahlequah was until I began participating in an art show at Tsa La Gi. And I was happier than ever to leave that place and never to return.
My point is that campus is not the crapper you claim it to be. I went there in '87 and I found it pleasant. Especially in early spring.

7/6/2012, 12:08 AM
Whoa... UT's campus is beautiful? I mean, I dig the whole downtown tailgate thing, but except for some nice shade trees, I would hardly call it "beautiful."

That's like saying Waco is your favorite city.

Well, ok... Not like that at all, but you get the point.

Chuck Bao
7/6/2012, 12:29 AM
I don't get it. I got some of my college credits from the higher ed center in Ardmore. What's the fuss about the campus unless it is just pure snobbery? And, I really don't see paying at lot for that unless it is a masters or doctorate.

Curly Bill
7/6/2012, 01:03 AM
I don't get it. I got some of my college credits from the higher ed center in Ardmore. What's the fuss about the campus unless it is just pure snobbery? And, I really don't see paying at lot for that unless it is a masters or doctorate.

Also depends on career fields. For example: I've never understood people that go to an expensive private college to be a teacher??? And there's lots of them out there! Makes zero sense at all. In fact I'd argue that if you pay to go to a private college to be a teacher you're too stupid to be a teacher!

captain_surly
7/9/2012, 12:37 PM
I have never understood the appeal of 13th grade...err NSU. The campus is wretched. I don't understand why NSU puts so much money into its satellite schools instead of upgrading that dump in Tahlequah. If I had to go to an NSU system school, I'd go to NSU-BA with considerably nicer facilities. Even the Muskogee campus is better.

You know what they say about opinions. Comparing Broken Arrow or Muskogee to Tahlequah as college towns is kind of like comparing what I've accomplished in my career to what you're going to accomplish in yours. It's proximity to the Illinois River, Barron Fork and Caney Creek set Tahlequah apart. And in the 70's you had bars like the Squeeze Inn, Scholors and the Keg where I was actually sucessful in picking up, taking home and having sex with real live college girls.

Dump? 13th grade? **** off dip ****.

SicEmBaylor
7/9/2012, 01:09 PM
You know what they say about opinions. Comparing Broken Arrow or Muskogee to Tahlequah as college towns is kind of like comparing what I've accomplished in my career to what you're going to accomplish in yours. It's proximity to the Illinois River, Barron Fork and Caney Creek set Tahlequah apart. And in the 70's you had bars like the Squeeze Inn, Scholors and the Keg where I was actually sucessful in picking up, taking home and having sex with real live college girls.

Dump? 13th grade? **** off dip ****.

I wasn't comparing Muskogee or BA to Tahlequah as college towns. By that standard, you are correct. I was comparing the the relative quality of the aforementioned campi not the towns in which they reside -- nor was I comparing your successful completion of college and the success of your career with my own or anyone else's.

Having said that, I've been to a small handful of NSU college parties and they sucked. One of my bestfriends from the FTG was the NSU StuGov President (or whatever NSU calls their student government). Not my cup of tea but different strokes for different folks.

C&CDean
7/9/2012, 01:26 PM
So this thread has devolved into a pissin' contest about some po-dunk school up in NE Oklahoma? Weird.