PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Our Military!

soonercruiser
5/28/2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks to all you other vets out there....thanks for serving!

And, thanks to you who are currently serving!

TitoMorelli
5/30/2012, 04:38 PM
A couple of days late in posting, but thought this article and the accompanying pix in it were worth sharing. A really fine article.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/as-memorial-day-nears-a-single-image-that-continues-to-haunt/

------

Also this picture from a different source, stays with me even years later. Taken as her father was about to deploy several years ago - he made it home safely.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Nl3Dda6msiU/Ss0ohnEgJkI/AAAAAAAAALI/dr1L1_on4Eg/s400/soldier+girl.JPG

LiveLaughLove
5/30/2012, 04:49 PM
Late also, was gone (not vacationing either, working).

Have had two sons in Iraq and one on the Kitty Hawk up to her decommissioning. Have several friends that have been in combat (Granada, Panama, and first Gulf War). One of my sons best friends was captured by Al Qaeda and butchered by Zarchawi (sp?) on video and put on the internet. That same son got to be the attending medic when Zarchawi was killed by a laser guided bomb.

Have 3 great uncles that served in WW II (all 3 were half German), and one uncle that served in Viet Nam (survived it but got shot in the back and killed in a barroom fight in Blanchard after coming home).

I know my family is about same same as most of you. I love the military men and women. I respect them tremendously.

Thanks to all of them from the bottom of my heart.

soonercruiser
5/30/2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the other posts guys.

I really didn't expect any ultra-libs to say anything good.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2012, 09:37 PM
61 years of peace (relative) and prosperity, due to our military's help in winning WWII. Congrats to all participants, and hope and prayers we can bring it back.

rock on sooner
5/31/2012, 09:46 AM

I don't qualify as "ultra-lib" but, here goes...the man that married my
mother (not my father or even step father) served in WWII as a combat
engineer, you know, the guys that go in BEFORE the invasion and build
bridges or help take out obstacles. He was awarded the Soldier's Medal,
the top non combat award for helping pull out the crew of a crash landed
B-17. He was on the North Africa invasion, following that with landing at
Anzio in Italy. His brother and he met up by accident in North Africa.

I served during the Vietnam era in the mid to late 60's. As a left leaning
card carrying supporter of our military, I salute our flag every morning
and every night as I put it out and take it down. It flew 24/7, properly
lighted, from Sept 12, 2001 til the day after Bin Laden was killed. I get
teary eyed at Memorial Day celebrations. I thank our guys in uniform
when I see them.

Disappointed, Cruiser, about your thinking that liberals wouldn't say
anything good.

Midtowner
5/31/2012, 10:06 AM
I'm certainly thankful for fact that we have an all-volunteer military which is capable of protecting American interests abroad. It's kind of amazing what our soldiers can and have accomplished in modern times, from the initial coming into existence of this nation, our men and women in uniform have made it known to all who would attack us and our freedoms that they could try, but we would end them. Just ask Hirohito or Bin Laden. Because of this all-volunteer force, the Soviet Union, probably the largest military in the world was afraid to attack us or anyone else. We're responsible for the Soviets not attempting to steamroll Europe, etc.

Lots to be thankful for.

soonercruiser
5/31/2012, 08:10 PM
I don't qualify as "ultra-lib" but, here goes...the man that married my
mother (not my father or even step father) served in WWII as a combat
engineer, you know, the guys that go in BEFORE the invasion and build
bridges or help take out obstacles. He was awarded the Soldier's Medal,
the top non combat award for helping pull out the crew of a crash landed
B-17. He was on the North Africa invasion, following that with landing at
Anzio in Italy. His brother and he met up by accident in North Africa.

I served during the Vietnam era in the mid to late 60's. As a left leaning
card carrying supporter of our military, I salute our flag every morning
and every night as I put it out and take it down. It flew 24/7, properly
lighted, from Sept 12, 2001 til the day after Bin Laden was killed. I get
teary eyed at Memorial Day celebrations. I thank our guys in uniform
when I see them.

Disappointed, Cruiser, about your thinking that liberals wouldn't say
anything good.

No, not at all!
(I was teasing you guys.)
Thanks for posting.

rock on sooner
5/31/2012, 08:32 PM
No, not at all!
(I was teasing you guys.)
Thanks for posting.

Okay, then, you're welcome!

I Am Right
6/1/2012, 12:01 PM
Yes, Thanks to Military!!!!!!

ictsooner7
6/1/2012, 12:47 PM

We support ALL of our troops not just the ones who are in our party, (ie. John Kerry). We know and appreciate the sacrifice’s and hardships that come with war and completely back those who now choose to join and fight for the freedoms we all should be able enjoy. As for my family I recently found out I am eligible for Sons of the American Revolution from a direct line and his brother both fought. I have two uncles who fought in WWII and my dad was in the military between WWII and Korea.

I just saw you were teasing so I changed my post.

BetterSoonerThanLater
6/4/2012, 04:53 PM
every male going back to my great grandad were military, i followed suit. wearing a uniform honors a sense of pride for my country, for my family, and for our citizens--regardless of political affliation or belief. although we all may not agree on politics, soldiers honestly could give a ****. we do what we do because we believe in what America stands for, and the inaliable rights that come with it! Its America dammit! home of the greatest country and the finest fighting force for good on the planet.

if you serve(d) have family that serve(d) or support our troops....from the bottm of my heart, thank you.

Semper Fi

BetterSoonerThanLater
6/4/2012, 04:56 PM
I'm certainly thankful for fact that we have an all-volunteer military which is capable of protecting American interests abroad. It's kind of amazing what our soldiers can and have accomplished in modern times, from the initial coming into existence of this nation, our men and women in uniform have made it known to all who would attack us and our freedoms that they could try, but we would end them. Just ask Hirohito or Bin Laden. Because of this all-volunteer force, the Soviet Union, probably the largest military in the world was afraid to attack us or anyone else. We're responsible for the Soviets not attempting to steamroll Europe, etc.

Lots to be thankful for.

nice Mid! Although i may not agree with some of what you say, i think thats the best thing i've read from you, and i agree 100%.

thanks for that!

C&CDean
6/5/2012, 01:59 PM

Lots to be thankful for.

Indeed. Ronald Reagan immediately comes to mind. When I was in the military, it was a shambles. Between Nixon/Ford screwing the pooch, and then Peanut Boy completing the demoralization, the military was NOT the place to be in the early/mid 1970's. You did NOT wear your uniform off base. No ****ing way. We were nothing more than magnets for the Hare Krishna freaks selling flowers in the airports, and the hookers at the titty bars downtown.

We had WWII web gear and helmets. OD fatigues. Corcoran jump boots that suck as combat boots. Yeah, we got jungle boots when in the jungle, but we still only had the heavy wool socks to wear with them. C-Rats dated from the 1940's and 50's. Howitzer ammo dated from the early 50's. No personal commo equipment. Terrible morale and attitude. The most-requested tattoo downtown? "FTA" or "FTW." **** the Army or **** the World.

President Reagan came along and changed all that. The changes he made basically saved our military. I'm actually jealous of the men/women who serve now. I've joined in standing ovations on airplanes and in airports for troops on board. I see the gear/equipment/commo/technology/training they have and feel so much better about their survival chances in combat. They actually get paid a wage that allows them to live a little.

Anyhow, God bless all who served and who are currently serving. We truly do have the greatest military on the planet. And since I am assuming this was/is a Memorial Day thread, God especially bless all those who gave all.

soonercruiser
6/5/2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the positive posts!

Until the next Mem Day........

Midtowner
6/5/2012, 10:13 PM
Dean, dontcha realize as effed up as your service was that Kosygin was still afraid to do a damn thing to expand the Soviet Empire? Pretty damned impressive. Despite your morale and attitude issues, you and your colleagues kept WWIII from happening. Mutually assured destruction. Thank God and the United States Armed Forces (more the later) for that.

C&CDean
6/6/2012, 09:11 AM
Dean, dontcha realize as effed up as your service was that Kosygin was still afraid to do a damn thing to expand the Soviet Empire? Pretty damned impressive. Despite your morale and attitude issues, you and your colleagues kept WWIII from happening. Mutually assured destruction. Thank God and the United States Armed Forces (more the later) for that.

I think that's because the Russian troops were even more ****ed up/stoned/demoralized than we were.

I was fortunate to be in a fairly elite unit where the morale was a little better than most of the military, but it was still pretty bad. I have a son serving now, and he loves it and is looking forward to being deployed in September. Of course that will change after he's over in Afghanistan, but just the fact they have modern equipment/tools/personal gear/etc., top-notch training, and most importantly, the support of the American public makes all the difference in the world. Everywhere he goes people pay for his lunch, shake his hand, pat him on the back, and thank him for his service. He actually feels guilty that he hasn't been deployed yet. A whole different mindset than back in the day.

olevetonahill
6/6/2012, 09:51 AM
I think that's because the Russian troops were even more ****ed up/stoned/demoralized than we were.

I was fortunate to be in a fairly elite unit where the morale was a little better than most of the military, but it was still pretty bad. I have a son serving now, and he loves it and is looking forward to being deployed in September. Of course that will change after he's over in Afghanistan, but just the fact they have modern equipment/tools/personal gear/etc., top-notch training, and most importantly, the support of the American public makes all the difference in the world. Everywhere he goes people pay for his lunch, shake his hand, pat him on the back, and thank him for his service. He actually feels guilty that he hasn't been deployed yet. A whole different mindset than back in the day.

most assuredly