PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Best current Big 12 coach not named Bob Stoops

badger
5/28/2012, 08:19 AM
Rather than watching 100 percent of you vote for Bob, here's your chance to name second-to-Bob :)

Three days of anonymous voting. Unlike recent polls, you may only choose one option in this poll.

olevetonahill
5/28/2012, 08:29 AM
Ima say Mike but ya dint give that Option:very_drunk:

badger
5/28/2012, 08:46 AM
Ima say Mike but ya dint give that Option:very_drunk:

Just head coaches today. We can talk assistants next poll if you want

badger
5/28/2012, 08:57 AM
I wish that polls offered the opportunity to rank options, because that would make it more fun... but since we can't, here goes:

1- Bill Snyder. Does more with less at KSU and even came outta retirement when it was shown how impossible it is to win at KSU.

2- Gary Patterson. Doesn't the 2005 loss still rattle some of you? Everyone was talking all season about 'reloading' and not 'rebuilding' and in struts Gary to (a) break our home winning streak (b) send Brett Romar to the starting job and (c) embarrass us terribly. Gaaaaah. Only Gary. At least he embarrasses other programs too (like Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl)

3- Paul Rhodes. Doesn't his locker room victory speeches just make you love Iowa State a little bit? Wins the important games (remember them breaking the makeshift Iowa-ISU trophy last year? hehe) and gets emotional afterward

4- Art Briles. Have to give him credit for doing what no other Baylor coach could... get a Heisman, beat OU... Grrrr

5- Mack Brown. He's really fallen off in recent years. I think he wishes he could stay football coach while acting retired, but 5-7 proved that he can't. So, keep paying him $5 mil per season and we'll keep winning the RRS. Ha ha.

6- Dana Holgorsen. Had a lot of good offenses as a coordinator and beat the ever living crap outta Clemson in the Orange Bowl in his first Mountie season. He is crazy creepy though, so I'm docking him tons of points just for that.

7- Mike Gundy. Is he really a good coach, or did he just luck out with some good recruits that nobody else from major programs wanted. No, I don't think he's building anything at OSU either. Yes, OSU will go back to sucking shortly. Why? Because hair gel.

8- Tommy Tuberville. And here we thought Tech lucked out after firing Mikey and they might actually keep their bowl streak going. Hahahahahahaha. And yes, I know they just ended our home winning streak. So what. It was rainy and stormy and incredibly delayed. Fluke win, just like that undefeated season at Auburn was in Tuberville's career.

9- Charlie Weis. So in two years when he's no better than Turner, will KU be paying off the big salaries of THREE ex-coaches at once? I might be mistaken, but I think they're still paying Turner and Mark. Oh, KU. Forever a basketball school.

picasso
5/28/2012, 09:17 AM
Snyder. It's pretty country but one look at Manhattan and it makes you wonder what that guy has going for him.

badger
5/28/2012, 09:24 AM
Snyder. It's pretty country but one look at Manhattan and it makes you wonder what that guy has going for him.

Naked pictures of Satan. Snyder gets to keep his soul while making regular deals with the devil :P

Breadburner
5/28/2012, 09:26 AM
Who is Dan Holgerson...??

picasso
5/28/2012, 09:27 AM
Heh! I think Gundy is a better head coach than he is an offensive coordinator. That may be the first time in history that has happened.

badger
5/28/2012, 09:36 AM
Who is Dan Holgerson...??

Dana's sister.

BigTip
5/28/2012, 01:45 PM
1- Bill Snyder. Does more with less at KSU and even came outta retirement when it was shown how impossible it is to win at KSU.

This, this and this.

Not once, but twice with the comeback, making a winning program. Not a just fluke, not with one super star one season, so obviously has something to do with coaching.

badger
5/28/2012, 02:27 PM
You know... now that I think about it, I seem to recall doing a similar poll last offseason and getting the same result, despite having two other SEC-bound loser school coaches to consider (Mike Shermator and Gary Pinkie).

Maybe I should just ask who is third-best behind Bob and Bill in future Big 12 coaching polls... or just ask about the assistants instead.

Eielson
5/28/2012, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure Stoops has surpassed Snyder.

Salt City Sooner
5/28/2012, 03:43 PM
2 totally different situations & not comparable, IMO.

delhalew
5/28/2012, 04:07 PM
I voted old man Snyder, but Rhodes would be a good vote.

MamaMia
5/28/2012, 04:28 PM
Snyder has given us a world of hurt and Briles has done a lot with very little, in both recruiting and coaching.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/28/2012, 08:09 PM
You know... now that I think about it, I seem to recall doing a similar poll last offseason and getting the same result, despite having two other SEC-bound loser school coaches to consider (Mike Shermator and Gary Pinkie).

Maybe I should just ask who is third-best behind Bob and Bill in future Big 12 coaching polls... or just ask about the assistants instead.Just leave off the happy-clappy one. He's so good, he shouldn't be included.

LVSOONER15
5/28/2012, 09:35 PM
Gotta go with Snyder.

yermom
5/28/2012, 10:01 PM
with the exception of Weiss, Holgerson and Tuberville, i'd say a case could be made for any of them

Weiss and Tuberville have had success in other places/levels though

Tuberville seems the least impressive to me though. Auburn was ready to can him before 2004 but he got lucky with that team and bought himself some time. 3 first rounders in the backfield are going to win you some games and the SEC wasn't exactly tearing it up that year

i wouldn't be surprised to see OSU and Baylor back to their normal ways for a year or two, but the conference seems to be pretty solid at the moment

agoo758
5/29/2012, 02:19 AM
Gundy's not getting enough love here IMO. Although was Snyder has done (let alone twice), is nothing short of unbelievable.

Mack would have been my vote this time last year. But going 13-12 since the start of the decade has forced me to reconsider.

Rhoads would be my vote for favorite coach.

badger
5/29/2012, 08:08 AM
This just in: The coaches with the fewest votes will be eligible for the second poll this week: WORST coach in the Big 12 :D

Curly Bill
5/29/2012, 08:44 AM
1. Patterson
2. Snyder (gave strong consideration to voting for him)
3. Gundy

badger
5/29/2012, 09:10 AM
So... can I safely assume that you all would have voted for Bob had I included him? :)

Curly Bill
5/29/2012, 09:12 AM
So... can I safely assume that you all would have voted for Bob had I included him? :)

I was just about to say it might have been interesting had Bob been in the pole. I'm torn if I would have voted for him or not????

badger
5/29/2012, 09:16 AM
I was just about to say it might have been interesting had Bob been in the pole. I'm torn if I would have voted for him or not????

It's a long offseason. I'll do a "most awesomest coach in Stoops' coaching tree" and include his past mentors and proteges or something.

Eielson
5/30/2012, 11:59 AM

Stoops would've gotten the most, and probably by a wide margin, but Snyder would've stolen a few.

Tear Down This Wall
5/30/2012, 03:36 PM
Voted for Snyder. He pulled the thing out of the ditch in a hurry - for the second time! The guy can just coach.

Second, I'd say Gundy. Third, I'd like to say Briles, but...we'll see what he does without Robert Griffin. Even with Griffin, he took some pretty good poundings. I'd stick Paul Rhodes and Briles at 3.a. and 3.b. at this point.

I don't think there's any arguing that Snyder does the most with the least, and Mack does the least with the most...hence Snyder's 4-2 record versus Mack, and KSU 6-2 overall versus Texas since the Big 12, including the 48-7 rout of the 'Horns with soon-to-be Heisman Ricky Williams being held to 48 yards. Nothing Texas has done has ever been magical to the 'Cats.

Patterson and Holgorsen haven't coached a down as Big 12-2-2+2 coaches yet, so I can't really rank them. I tend to think WVU rises into the OU/Texas category and TCU sinks into the middle of the pack. It's not that I don't respect TCU. But, their season no longer is 10 gimmies and one or two battles.

MamaMia
5/31/2012, 12:04 AM
I refuse to vote for a coach who's game philosophy is to take out the quarterback.

badger
5/31/2012, 08:11 AM
Well... looks like we have our three nominees for worst coach! Check out the Thursday poll shortly :D

Herr Scholz
5/31/2012, 11:03 AM
Mack Brown still has 3 BCS wins and 1 national championship, the same as your coach. None of the other coaches in the league can boast that. Gilbert Grape being a complete bust (which really put us in a hole with that position) doesn't change that reality.

badger
5/31/2012, 11:15 AM
Mack Brown still has 3 BCS wins and 1 national championship, the same as your coach. None of the other coaches in the league can boast that. Gilbert Grape being a complete bust (which really put us in a hole with that position) doesn't change that reality.

Your Texas-sized football expectations are starting to resemble Delaware-sized expectations... and Delaware is a bunch of fighting hens with baby blue Michigan helmets! :mack:

BigTip
5/31/2012, 11:52 AM
I don't think there's any arguing that Snyder does the most with the least, and Mack does the least with the most...

How many times have I seen this headline, "Texas bags #1 recruiting class" ? Mack can recruit, or at least has the luxury of picking and choosing the athletes that are dying to play at Texass. Yet he struggles to even win his conference, much less a national crown, at a much lower rate than he should considering the talent he has available. I say this all the time, every now and then he stays out of the way of his talent, and they win something for him.

5/31/2012, 12:40 PM
How many times have I seen this headline, "Texas bags #1 recruiting class" ? Mack can recruit, or at least has the luxury of picking and choosing the athletes that are dying to play at Texass. Yet he struggles to even win his conference, much less a national crown, at a much lower rate than he should considering the talent he has available. I say this all the time, every now and then he stays out of the way of his talent, and they win something for him.STOP WITH THIS ALREADY! Too many people are reading this board, and some may begin to perceive his actual coaching skills!

Herr Scholz
5/31/2012, 07:14 PM
How many times have I seen this headline, "Texas bags #1 recruiting class" ?
Exactly twice. In 1998. That class would've put us in the national title game in 2001 had Simms not melted down vs. CU in the Big XII title game that year. In 2002. That class won us a national title in 2005. But carry on.

Eielson
6/1/2012, 01:20 AM
I kinda feel like Herr makes you all look stupid a lot. I hate that.

6/1/2012, 02:05 AM
I kinda feel like Herr makes you all look stupid a lot. I hate that.Herr thinks Mack is a good coach. That is a good thing.

Herr Scholz
6/1/2012, 11:25 AM
I kinda feel like Herr makes you all look stupid a lot. I hate that.
Not true at all. I simply interject some facts here and there and answer questions when posed.

sooneron
6/1/2012, 12:00 PM
Exactly twice. In 1998. That class would've put us in the national title game in 2001 had Simms not melted down vs. CU in the Big XII title game that year. In 2002. That class won us a national title in 2005. But carry on.

And what were the ranks of 06 & 07 classes?

sooneron
6/1/2012, 12:01 PM
"Let me answer that one for Chris"

#s 3 & 3, as per espn...

texaspokieokie
Not true at all. I simply interject some facts here and there and answer questions when posed.Facts are not always welcome on this board.
:excitement:

badger
And what were the ranks of 06 & 07 classes?

I think Bammer took one of those with Nick Satan, but I'm probably mistaken.

sooneron
6/1/2012, 12:06 PM
slow poke, as I stated #s 3 & 3. Those are solid "numbers" coming in, NOTHING to show for them. Of course, recruiting rankings are pretty incredulous.

6/1/2012, 12:07 PM
ANY top 5 recruiting class is EXCELLENT recruiting.

sooneron
6/1/2012, 12:09 PM
^THIS

Herr Scholz
6/1/2012, 01:12 PM
Rivals had us at #5 in both '06 and '07. Both classes were complete whiffs. You name it, we had it: grades, arrests, transfers, injuries and just flat out busts. Those two classes were a perfect storm of fail.

badger
6/1/2012, 01:36 PM
Rivals had us at #5 in both '06 and '07. Both classes were complete whiffs. You name it, we had it: grades, arrests, transfers, injuries and just flat out busts. Those two classes were a perfect storm of fail.

LOL @ Rice band:
kiOa7dBsyrY
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/04/14/75/image_5875144.jpg
They are so much more funny than Stanford. It must be a southern vs coastal elitist snob type thing.