PDA

View Full Version : A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away..... 35 years to be exact

LASooner
5/25/2012, 02:26 AM
http://photos.cinematreasures.org/production/photos/12787/1310732496/large.jpg?1310732496

This is where I saw Star Wars for the first time, and it is directly responsible for the career I have now.

Star Wars was released today, 35 years ago, May 25, 1977

cleller
5/25/2012, 06:59 AM
Well, I have a fond memory of seeing one of those Star Wars movies with a young chicky. The movie itself was not so important, but a fun time.

Do you have wireless internet on the Death Star?

Midtowner
5/25/2012, 07:45 AM
Well, I have a fond memory of seeing one of those Star Wars movies with a young chicky. The movie itself was not so important, but a fun time.

Do you have wireless internet on the Death Star?

Star Wars was a long time ago in a galaxy far away. It clearly predates Al Gore.

Mjcpr
5/25/2012, 07:58 AM
You're a Jedi?

LASooner
5/25/2012, 11:55 AM
No, a visual effects artist.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569328/

(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569328/)

stoops the eternal pimp
5/25/2012, 11:59 AM
Vote Vader in '12.

yermom
5/25/2012, 12:04 PM
two things.

Dr. Cox?

and Firefly?!

LASooner
5/25/2012, 02:06 PM
I'm not Dr. Cox, but I did work on Firefly.

Wishboned
5/25/2012, 06:45 PM
No, a visual effects artist.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569328/

(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569328/)

So you worked on the BG short that Richard Hatch made? I saw it at a con in 2000, and thought it looked great.

LASooner
5/25/2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah, the shot of the cylons crashing into the agro ship was my shot, and I modeled all the vipers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1OSm8TERWY

This was the pitch reel we also did afterward which eventually led to the scify series. But I had moved back to video games by then, and they were offering the same salary that I was making at Treyarch at the time, so I stayed for the stable work, that was 10 years ago so I guess I in the end I was right about it being stable work to stay here.

My viper model was used in the miniseries though in the museum scene.

Wishboned
5/25/2012, 09:15 PM
Nice work!

8timechamps
5/25/2012, 09:50 PM
Saw it with my dad at a drive-in. One of the fond memories of my youth...the drive-in, with the crappy speaker you hung on your window.

olevetonahill
5/25/2012, 10:05 PM
Ive never watched it. Saw parts thru the years when My kids would watch it on TeeVee, but never sat thru the whole thing.

yermom
5/25/2012, 10:27 PM
back to the threadjack. i'm not done geeking out over BSG and Firefly :)

the LASooner legend grows...

Tulsa_Fireman
5/25/2012, 10:32 PM
Armando Montelongo nods acceptingly toward your general direction.

On a side note, it's since been deemed illegal to cut a hole in the bottom of your popcorn bucket at the Satellite Twin.

delhalew
5/26/2012, 08:42 AM
I saw it at the Plaza theater in Duncan, OK. Tiny place.

Jacie
5/26/2012, 08:50 AM
Seeing Star Wars that first time on the big screen was practically a religious experience. I remember thinking at first how cheesy the scrolling Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was but then, that first ship entered the frame and it was . . . huge! Then the shot pulls away from that ship, now seen taking laser blasts up the a**-end, and a REALLY EFFING HUGE SHIP appears following and delivering the laser blasts and from that moment, i knew special effects had reached a whole new level from anything i had seen before.

It was . . . wonderful!

yermom
5/26/2012, 11:53 AM
I was too young to know things like that. I was just immersed in it all

I remember seeing it in the theater multiple times, but likely not on opening day, since I wasn't even a year old at that point. It must have been in theaters forever as opposed to now with the rush to DVD where it's mostly about the opening weekend

SanJoaquinSooner
5/26/2012, 12:31 PM
I was living in Norman at the time, and also saw it at the Satillite Twin 35 years ago. It's just not the genre I enjoy, but I understand those who loved it. My son is a big fan and has complete set of Star Wars flicks.

hawaii 5-0
5/26/2012, 07:27 PM
I think I saw the 1st Star Wars movie at the Hollywood Theatre on McGee.

5-0

Wishboned
5/26/2012, 09:01 PM
I saw it at the Orpheum in Okmulgee. Had to wait until September because they didn't get first run movies at the time.

delhalew
5/26/2012, 11:02 PM
I was too young to know things like that. I was just immersed in it all

I remember seeing it in the theater multiple times, but likely not on opening day, since I wasn't even a year old at that point. It must have been in theaters forever as opposed to now with the rush to DVD where it's mostly about the opening weekend

Yeah, I had just turned two when it was released. It was such a huge hit that it had a theatrical re-release a couple years later. That was when I saw it. So I was all in for Empire and Jedi.

BigTip
5/27/2012, 10:24 AM
My fondest Satellite Twin memory is seeing "The Exorcist" there. I took this gal there early on in our relationship. That relationship progressed greatly during the movie! I don't think I watched ten minutes of the thing. :tongue:

fadada1
5/29/2012, 08:06 PM
first movie i saw in a theater - 6 years old with dad. i think he was more excited about it than i was.

cleller
5/29/2012, 08:11 PM
I saw it at the Orpheum in Okmulgee. Had to wait until September because they didn't get first run movies at the time.

Neat old place. Took our little girl and her friend to see Titanic there for an outing. Had no idea there would be the bit of nudity of humpage in that.

Where's Walt Disney when you need him?

sooneron
5/30/2012, 12:25 PM
My Mom took me to the theater at the Galleria in Houston a couple weeks after it came out. We missed the beginning, we weren't sure how much so we decided to catch the part missed during the next showing. We quickly realized that we only missed the scroll and 1.5 seconds of the battle. We sat through the entire thing again! I gotta give it up to my mom for doing that. It was really cool of her. Of course, she liked it, too, but she could tell how blown away I was.
I was nine at the time. It was the movie that really made me love movies.

That pic of the Satellite carcks me up, as I was a bartender/occasional DJ at Rome when it was Rome XC! :D

C&CDean
5/30/2012, 12:40 PM
While I am certainly no fan of the genre, the original Star Wars flick was good. They ****ed it all up when they started going backwards.

And if anything will pull JohnnyMack the faggot out of posting retirement, this thread will.

GDC
5/30/2012, 01:33 PM
I saw this and a lot of other movies at the now-defunct Boman Twin on 41st in Tulsa.

Tear Down This Wall
5/30/2012, 03:22 PM
I remember this being on the cusp of my 8th birthday in June. Everyone who had a birthday that summer went to see Star Wars.

Remember back in those days 70s & 80s when you'd be bragging about how many times you'd seen a movie? Man, when we got back to school, that was the talk at lunch for weeks - "How many times did you see Star Wars over the summer? So-and-so saw it x many times."

There was no cable or satellite television...no VCRs yet. So, to see a movie multiple times, you had to go to the movie multiple times. Freaking amazing. In my lifetime, we've gone from having to be there to see it to being able to DVR it and watch it from home whenever.

Wishboned
5/30/2012, 04:05 PM
I remember this being on the cusp of my 8th birthday in June. Everyone who had a birthday that summer went to see Star Wars.

Remember back in those days 70s & 80s when you'd be bragging about how many times you'd seen a movie? Man, when we got back to school, that was the talk at lunch for weeks - "How many times did you see Star Wars over the summer? So-and-so saw it x many times."

There was no cable or satellite television...no VCRs yet. So, to see a movie multiple times, you had to go to the movie multiple times. Freaking amazing. In my lifetime, we've gone from having to be there to see it to being able to DVR it and watch it from home whenever.

I was just thinking about that the other day. How sad I was when it stopped playing in the theater because I didn't think I would get a chance to see it without commercials. They did re-release it several times for theaters. I think I ended up seeing it 10 times during it's first release. A lot of those were buying tickets for the first showing, and staying for the second...and tickets were only $1 back then as well.

It took it years to come to television. HBO didn't air it until 1983, and it wasn't shown on CBS until 1984. By then it had been released on VCR.

I watched it with my grandson the other day on the anniversary.

DRLSooner
5/30/2012, 04:56 PM
I was 6 years old, loved it.

After the movie we went over to one of my dads buddys house for a cookout. I was the only kid there and they sent me to the garage to play while they all smoked dope (and probably worse, buncha hippies). Anyhow, in the garage they had a brown Camaro and 2 dogs... a silver schnauzer and a golden/yellowish bigger dog.

The Camaro immediately became my land-speeder and the 2 dogs became R2 and C3PO, of course I was Luke. I must have stayed in that garage for 6-7 hours and had a friggin' blast, I still remember it to this day, very vividly... one of the better days of my childhood.

A few weeks later my dad was busted for dealing and ended up going to jail. I didnt see another movie for quite a while LOL.

Cool story right?