PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma budget impasse

badger
5/24/2012, 12:39 PM
Yesterday, our legislature voted against $200 million to repair our poor Capitol building and an additional $40 million for the Indian museum.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20120524_16_A1_OKLAHO375680)

Today, the House voted down the budget.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20120524_336_0_OKLAHO78293)

Apparently, this is due to every single Democrat and some rebellious Republicans going against Republican leadership's wishes. Leadership as in Senate and House leaders, as well as the Fallin administration.

Very interesting development, just before our state's constitutional deadline to adjourn... and just before elections, too.

Thoughts?

TAFBSooner
5/24/2012, 01:23 PM
Government Incompetence:

Before the election, a slogan. After the election, a "plan of action."

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 01:31 PM
Especially for the bond on the Indian Cultural Center!

I read an Oklahoman article today that had a Democratic member saying "it's wierd" having to be the fiscal conservative like the "other side of the isle"!
Good for them!

Seems that the Tulsa Museum did get an "up" vote.

badger
5/24/2012, 01:56 PM
Seems that the Tulsa Museum did get an "up" vote.

Just barely (got the 25 votes and only the 25 votes necessary) and that still has to pass the other side.

The House, I think, will try to vote on the budget again today. Otherwise... their deadline is 5 p.m. tomorrow!!!

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 02:29 PM
Just barely (got the 25 votes and only the 25 votes necessary) and that still has to pass the other side.

The House, I think, will try to vote on the budget again today. Otherwise... their deadline is 5 p.m. tomorrow!!!

Will the building last that long!
:distress:

badger
5/24/2012, 03:17 PM
Will the building last that long!
:distress:

If it doesn't, Mary Fallin can take everyone to Ireland to finish session. I now pronounce you, Democrats and Republicans!

Oooo... probably too soon. :(

SicEmBaylor
5/24/2012, 04:23 PM
Deal has been reached as of about 5 minutes ago.

Midtowner
5/24/2012, 05:39 PM
The problem has been that the Republican Party has been acting like they are enjoying single-party rule and don't have to even consult the other side of the aisle for anything.

For the most part, that's true.

It does lead to some damn bad governance though. It was exactly the same way when the Dems had power in this state. Single party rule is good for no one.

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 06:41 PM
The problem has been that the Republican Party has been acting like they are enjoying single-party rule and don't have to even consult the other side of the aisle for anything.

For the most part, that's true.

It does lead to some damn bad governance though. It was exactly the same way when the Dems had power in this state. Single party rule is good for no one.

MT,
The problem with "compromise" is....we get a watered down state/country with no real direction to head. The object of a multi-party system is to hold those in power in check, or hold them to account.

At least Oklahomans saw the Dem party leaving Oklahoma values, and changed the party in control, in order to change the state's direction. Heck, even the Dem state Rep I quoted from the paper article recognizes that fiscal restraint is needed.

Why can't the Dems recognize this in the U.S. Congress?

Midtowner
5/24/2012, 06:59 PM
MT,
The problem with "compromise" is....we get a watered down state/country with no real direction to head.

Perhaps the best thing isn't to go too fast in any "direction." First off, saying "direction" is silly. Party orthodoxies are not directions. They are platforms where planks have been bought and sold with little if no regard to philosophy or morality. If you think your party's platform is morally or philosophically cohesive, then you're someone Lenin would have referred to as an "useful idiot."

Most folks in this country are looking just to get by. Taking either party's views to the extreme and going one way or the other in a "direction" is just buying into the partisan BS.

And as far as statewide politics go, you're even more a fool if you think the difference between the Republican and Democrat parties is anything more than who their big donors are. They're pretty much the same philosophically. The question is whose pockets do you want to line? Polluters or environmental tort litigators? Insurance companies or trial lawyers? Back to the South Park reference, it's a choice between a giant ****** and a turd sandwich.

So what's best is for neither group of special interests to get 100% their way and for the legislature to work in the middle with compromises which both sides can live with.

One big issue in this particular budget was the (Republican-led) Dept of Education wanted $50MM to pay to add new teachers which had to be cut when the state revenue was down. Now that revenue is back up, does the legislature want to fund education? Hell no! We're cutting taxes by .25%. An amount which won't have an appreciable income on anyone who has less than millions of dollars per year in income.

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 08:17 PM
Perhaps the best thing isn't to go too fast in any "direction." First off, saying "direction" is silly. Party orthodoxies are not directions. They are platforms where planks have been bought and sold with little if no regard to philosophy or morality. If you think your party's platform is morally or philosophically cohesive, then you're someone Lenin would have referred to as an "useful idiot."

Most folks in this country are looking just to get by. Taking either party's views to the extreme and going one way or the other in a "direction" is just buying into the partisan BS.

And as far as statewide politics go, you're even more a fool if you think the difference between the Republican and Democrat parties is anything more than who their big donors are. They're pretty much the same philosophically. The question is whose pockets do you want to line? Polluters or environmental tort litigators? Insurance companies or trial lawyers? Back to the South Park reference, it's a choice between a giant ****** and a turd sandwich.

So what's best is for neither group of special interests to get 100% their way and for the legislature to work in the middle with compromises which both sides can live with.

One big issue in this particular budget was the (Republican-led) Dept of Education wanted $50MM to pay to add new teachers which had to be cut when the state revenue was down. Now that revenue is back up, does the legislature want to fund education? Hell no! We're cutting taxes by .25%. An amount which won't have an appreciable income on anyone who has less than millions of dollars per year in income.

Mid,
You need to get out more....... Read something other than the City Sentinel.
I posted an Oklahoman article from last week that showed that Gov. Fallin and the legislature are investing a large amount of the excess energy tax this year into schools, and funding the bonuses for nationally certified teachers.

You are the fool to not recognize all the conservative, pro-business, pro-life, and cost cutting efforts that the Republicans have finally passed, since Gov. "No" is not in the Governor's seat any more.
Really! Get real!

Midtowner
5/24/2012, 08:31 PM
Funding bonuses for nationally certified teachers? You mean like they promised to do, then pulled for a year? Wow.

As I said.. useful idiot.

Chuck Bao
5/24/2012, 08:54 PM
The state capitol was a dump 35 years ago and probably is the same today. The best marble in the world is not going to hide the smell of vomit in the men's restroom. I'm only half joking.

Through political connections, my brother got the job of assistant sergeant of arms at the state capitol building while he was attending OCU. He also had the responsibility of going across the street to a hotel room called the "Cheese Room" sponsored by the lobbyists. He can tell some stories about pizza and girls and stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket. Get a frat boy fresh off the farm to supervise things for our Okie politicians and their lobbyists.

I only spent one week there as a page sponsored by the Ardmore representative. It is not my proudest moment when I told my representative that someone has gotten terribly drunk and upchucked in the adjacent restroom. I should have known better or rather not expected better. I think the same holds true today.

I'm sure some of you have served as pages. What are your stories?

soonercruiser
5/25/2012, 11:30 AM
Funding bonuses for nationally certified teachers? You mean like they promised to do, then pulled for a year? Wow.

As I said.. useful idiot.

I agree....yes, you are!
You are the idiot who sees no significant changes since the Dems were in control of Oklahma. ("Open Carry"!) BINGO!

Boarder
5/25/2012, 02:22 PM
Did you know...

On Gov. Fallin's budget, there was no increase requested for the House, Senate, or Governor's office.
www.ok.gov/OSF/documents/bud13.pdf Page A-16

When the bill was passed, *poof* there was magically $1M more allocated for the house, $1M more for the senate, and $192K more for the Governor's Office.
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12%20JOINT%20COMMITTEE%20REPORTS/SENATE/SB1975%20JCR.DOC Page 16, 18

I feel that is a bit excessive.