PDA

View Full Version : Time to Cut Pakistan Loose!

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 11:35 AM
Well, if you every doubted where Pakistan stands on being a true friend of the U.S., like helping catch Bin Laden, here's the story.
Heard this on Fox last night.
Couldn't find the story anywhere in the Lame Stream media yesterday!

Pakistani Informant in Bin Laden Raid Gets 33 Years
FindLaw Legal Pulse
The doctor who helped the CIA locate al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden’s compound was sentenced to 33 years in prison by Pakistani authorities, according to local reports.
Shakil Afridi, a government surgeon who obtained DNA samples of the terrorist leader via a fake vaccination, was sentenced after being convicted of participating in anti-state activities and treason, the DAWN reported. He also received a 320,000 rupee (US$3,500) fine.
http://legalnews.findlaw.com/article/01pW9BS1j99uA

The full article...
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/world/pakistani-informant-in-bin-laden-raid-gets-33-years-241511.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/shakil-afridi-sentenced_n_1538746.html
PESHAWAR, Pakistan — A doctor who helped the CIA hunt down Osama bin Laden was convicted Wednesday of conspiring against the state and sentenced to 33 years in prison, adding new strains to an already deeply troubled relationship between the U.S. and Pakistan.

U.S. officials had urged Pakistan to release the doctor, who ran a vaccination program for the CIA to collect DNA and verify the al-Qaida leader's presence at the compound in the town of Abbottabad where U.S. commandos killed him in May 2011 in a unilateral raid.

The lengthy sentence for Dr. Shakil Afridi will be taken as another sign of Pakistan's defiance of American wishes. It could give more fuel to critics in the United States that Pakistan – which has yet

Mississippi Sooner
5/24/2012, 11:40 AM
It was all over CNN yesterday, but I'm sure the conviction won't stand. He was convicted by a tribal court even though his "crime" happened in Abbottabad. The Pakistani version of the supreme court will overturn.

But, with that being said, Pakistan has never been a true ally. Hell, they were the only country to recognize the Taliban as the government of Afghanistan before we kicked them out. Huge conflict of interest there.

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the correction on CNN coverage.
I didn't see it on a "quick watch", and found nothing on the web.

Mississippi Sooner
5/24/2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the correction on CNN coverage.
I didn't see it on a "quick watch", and found nothing on the web.

CNN's coverage is strange. They beat the hell out of a subject, then it disappears altogether, and then they may bring it back and leave it there for a week.

dwarthog
5/24/2012, 11:44 AM
Your google foo is a bit off...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pakistan-convicts-doctor-helped-find-bin-laden-16417276#.T75k-bmJpQc

http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-convicts-doctor-helped-bin-laden-132333232.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57439825/pakistan-officials-doctor-who-helped-u.s-in-bin-laden-raid-gets-33-years/

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/23/11827022-pakistan-jails-doctor-who-helped-cia-find-osama-bin-laden?lite

yermom
5/24/2012, 12:16 PM
with friends like these...

TAFBSooner
5/24/2012, 12:18 PM
Can't find the story anywhere in the Lame Stream media!

It was on NPR this morning.

OULenexaman
5/24/2012, 12:43 PM
CNN's coverage is strange. They beat the hell out of a subject, then it disappears altogether, and then they may bring it back and leave it there for a week. No kidding.....I see this all the time with them.

diverdog
5/24/2012, 01:01 PM
Well, if you every doubted where Pakistan stands on being a true friend of the U.S., like helping catch Bin Laden, here's the story.
Heard this on Fox last night.
Can't find the story anywhere in the Lame Stream media!

Cruiser I called you a hack the other night. Now I am beginning to understand your internet search skills just suck or you are as blind as a bat or both.

rock on sooner
5/24/2012, 01:10 PM
I heard a rumor that Seal Team 6 is rehearsing a big time prison break, the location
of which is wherever they're holding that doctor, aerial cover provided by CIA controlled
drones, six stealth helicopters, orbiting stealth fighters and a AWACS coordinating the
whole thing. Also, there is a carrier battle group in the Med and one in the Arabian sea
both standing by.

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 01:22 PM
Cruiser I called you a hack the other night. Now I am beginning to understand your internet search skills just suck or you are as blind as a bat or both.

Diver,
Now I am beginning to understand that you are just not a very nice person on the internet!
Your (lack of) interpersonal skills probably has had an effect on your life, in general, and your attitude.
FO! And grow up!

Mississippi Sooner,
Thanks for pointing out it was there on CNN.
When I searched YESTERDAY (Diver), nothing came up.
Now watching coverage on CNN.

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 01:23 PM
with friends like these...

..........I would never trust the U.S. enough to share inside info with them.

diverdog
5/24/2012, 01:50 PM
Diver,
Now I am beginning to understand that you are just not a very nice person on the internet!
Your (lack of) interpersonal skills probably has had an effect on your life, in general, and your attitude.
FO! And grow up!

Mississippi Sooner,
Thanks for pointing out it was there on CNN.
When I searched YESTERDAY (Diver), nothing came up.
Now watching coverage on CNN.

Cruiser:

My interpersonal skills are just fine. You are the one that made the remark about the lame stream media. You do this all the time and then others check and it is all over the media. You would do well to stop trying to be Rush junior and maybe taking your blinders off once in while.

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 02:22 PM
Your google foo is a bit off...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pakistan-convicts-doctor-helped-find-bin-laden-16417276#.T75k-bmJpQc

http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-convicts-doctor-helped-bin-laden-132333232.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57439825/pakistan-officials-doctor-who-helped-u.s-in-bin-laden-raid-gets-33-years/

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/23/11827022-pakistan-jails-doctor-who-helped-cia-find-osama-bin-laden?lite

Thank Dwarthog.
But, that is most of what I got last night when I Googled and Yahooed.......old stories about the "arrest".
But, only one.....like you did about the actual conviction story.
I did see that 60 Min. Paneta interview.

I would have thought that we would have done better....anticipated....knowing what the terrorist wing in Pakistani government would do to him.
It's a dang shame that when our diplomats exercise misjudgement........that someone else gets hurt!
*It' just come down to Islamic judges not wanting an infidel to be able to kill a Muslim terrorist!
We must begin to recognize this as a fact of life....and death!

soonercruiser
5/24/2012, 02:27 PM
I heard a rumor that Seal Team 6 is rehearsing a big time prison break, the location
of which is wherever they're holding that doctor, aerial cover provided by CIA controlled
drones, six stealth helicopters, orbiting stealth fighters and a AWACS coordinating the
whole thing. Also, there is a carrier battle group in the Med and one in the Arabian sea
both standing by.

I saw that movie too! Didn't Morgan Freeman star in that?
Or, was that a dream?

SicEmBaylor
5/24/2012, 03:39 PM
I'm curious to know who ever, at any point, thought that Pakistan was our "true friend and ally", and then I'd like to know how they escaped from the sanitarium.

rock on sooner
5/24/2012, 04:03 PM
I'm curious to know who ever, at any point, thought that Pakistan was our "true friend and ally", and then I'd like to know how they escaped from the sanitarium.

Back during the Cold War, Pakistan let the U.S. set up an electronic listening
post in their northwestern frontier..just a hop, skip and a jump from Kabul..
Peshawar Air Station. Francis Gary Powers flew his U2 out of there. That base
was acitive with US personnel until 1968 or so. It was all about money then
and it is all about money now. (They are holding up our supply line to Afghanistan
for money.)

I'm thinking that cutting off all foreign aid to Pakistan unless and until they release
that doctor might get their attention.

From a strategic standpoint, the country's location is pretty important to us but, at
some point, enough is enough!

5thYearSooner
5/25/2012, 11:31 AM
The only Islamic state with Nuclear weapons. No matter what anyone says, After Nato forces leave Afghanistan..its gonna be crazy there..these rouges would either go to Kabul or fight against India for Kashmir.(Like in 1989) Hope this time there is a better exit plan.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/25/2012, 12:19 PM
Would someone please tell me what they are doing fo us and the piles and piles of money we are throwing their way? Way I see it, the Paki's are as typical burning the candle from both ends. THey are not to be trusted and as far as I care, we don't need them and can cut them loose.

olevetonahill
5/25/2012, 01:09 PM
Would someone please tell me what they are doing fo us and the piles and piles of money we are throwing their way? Way I see it, the Paki's are as typical burning the candle from both ends. THey are not to be trusted and as far as I care, we don't need them and can cut them loose.

Im all for that, Just as soon as WE get control of their Nukes

badger
5/25/2012, 01:24 PM
Meh, let's cut all countries loose, especially California. :D

KantoSooner
5/25/2012, 04:52 PM
good golly!

Pakistan is not our friend; as in 'friend' like, say, Canada, or Australia. Neither are they our 'enemy' in the sense that Iran is, for instance.

Just calm down. We spend some billions there, but, seriously? compared to the Pentagon water bill, it's peanuts. And if it keeps some semblance of dialogue, it's worth it. I trust our diplomats and intelligence and military have no problem recognizing that info they get from the Paki's might, just might, be a bit twisted.

As to the good doctor, well, where were we just last year? having a bellowing contest about how it was wrong for anyone other than the sainted SEALS to take credit for the OBL assasination. Well, turns out there really were other people involved and that the SEALS didn't just pick out a house at random, fastrope in and get lucky. And one of those someones is now paying the price. (don't forget, we have Israeli spies locked up in the this country. (Pollard), nation-states get very huffy when they find their own people working for ferriners.)(also don't forget that the vast majority of these 'agents' are motivated by ideology, a belief in America, if you will, and not by money.)

Espionage/covert ops is a full contact sport. Injuries will happen.

diverdog
5/25/2012, 05:50 PM
good golly!

Pakistan is not our friend; as in 'friend' like, say, Canada, or Australia. Neither are they our 'enemy' in the sense that Iran is, for instance.

Just calm down. We spend some billions there, but, seriously? compared to the Pentagon water bill, it's peanuts. And if it keeps some semblance of dialogue, it's worth it. I trust our diplomats and intelligence and military have no problem recognizing that info they get from the Paki's might, just might, be a bit twisted.

As to the good doctor, well, where were we just last year? having a bellowing contest about how it was wrong for anyone other than the sainted SEALS to take credit for the OBL assasination. Well, turns out there really were other people involved and that the SEALS didn't just pick out a house at random, fastrope in and get lucky. And one of those someones is now paying the price. (don't forget, we have Israeli spies locked up in the this country. (Pollard), nation-states get very huffy when they find their own people working for ferriners.)(also don't forget that the vast majority of these 'agents' are motivated by ideology, a belief in America, if you will, and not by money.)

Espionage/covert ops is a full contact sport. Injuries will happen.

Right now it is all a dog and pony show to appease the religious nuts in Pakistan. He will be spirited away to China or Europe while no one is looking.

Pakistans involvement in Afghanistan arises out of its fear of India. Some of Afghan's leadership is ideologically in step with New Dehli and that scares the crap our to the ISI who view Afghanistan as strategic depth in case a full blown war erupts between India and Pakistan.

If you guy want a real culprit blame the English because they totally ****ed up the region out of their own interest. Kashmir is great case in point. Had the map drawers got it right there would be no war on the highest place in history.

5thYearSooner
5/30/2012, 12:25 PM
Right now it is all a dog and pony show to appease the religious nuts in Pakistan. He will be spirited away to China or Europe while no one is looking.

Pakistans involvement in Afghanistan arises out of its fear of India. Some of Afghan's leadership is ideologically in step with New Dehli and that scares the crap our to the ISI who view Afghanistan as strategic depth in case a full blown war erupts between India and Pakistan.

If you guy want a real culprit blame the English because they totally ****ed up the region out of their own interest. Kashmir is great case in point. Had the map drawers got it right there would be no war on the highest place in history.

Pakistan was given enough time and resources from USA/UK. India on the other side was helped by Russia during cold war. If they are scared of India, they should stop terrorism in Kashmir and India. But of course they wont, they are Pakistani Muslims.
It was some Radical Muslim idea to have a separate Islamic state, However Hindu majority India didn't want a Hindu state, rather they voted for a secular state,and English split the country in haste (which caused communal riots and Assassination of Gandhi)