PDA

View Full Version : Thursday poll: ACC poaching

badger
5/24/2012, 09:28 AM
Did you know that you can vote for more than one team in this poll?

Please let know which of these ACC teams you wouldn't mind seeing added to the Big 12 for any reason. List your reasons below if you want. Or don't.

Anonymous voting for four days. You cannot change your vote once it has been cast. Here's my uber analysis of each team (football only, since football's the money maker):

Boston College
Pros: Hates Notre Dame. Inspirational cancer beating. '99-2010 bowl streak. Doug Flutie won the Heisman... who gave Miami the finger on a final play.
Cons: ONE conference title (and it was a Big East title), 44k stadium capacity, went 4-8 last season to end bowl streak.

Clemson
Pros: 1981 national champs, 80k stadium which also has Big 12-like name ("Memorial Stadium"), 18 conference titles (14 in ACC), Dabo is a fun coach on TV, Brent Venables!
Cons: They seem kind of aggie-ish with their orange and not being the flagship school of the state, don't they? Oh, and anything that a Bowden has touched = bad.

Duke:
Pros: Steve Spurrier once coached there, Peyton Manning trained there in the offseason with his ex-college coach Cutliffe... ok, that's about all I can think of.
Cons: Anything to do with football, like having a 33k capacity stadium, no national or conference titles, and having a losing record most seasons, and a losing postseason record overall... for all EIGHT of their appearances (3-5).

Florida State:
Pros: 1993 and 1999 national champs, 15 conference titles, 2 Heisman winners (although they both SUCK), 82k stadium, hates Miami, Mark Stoops!
Cons: The Bowden connection, FSU used to be a women's college... ok, I'm grasping at straws, yes.

Georgia Tech:
Pros: 1952 and 1990 national champs, 16 conference titles, is one of the few programs to reject the SEC and live to tell about it.
Cons: 55k stadium, claims national titles from 1917 and 1928, has not won a bowl since 2004

Maryland:
Pros: 1953 national champs, 11 conference titles, blinds opponents with outrageous Under Armour unis since the founder is a Terpy alum
Cons: 54k stadium, retroactively claimed the '51 national title, went 2-10 last season, has a .500 postgame record (11-11-2) and blinds opponents with outrageous Under Armour unis since the founder is a Terpy alum

Miami:
Pros: 76k stadium, 83, 87, 89, 91 and 2001 national champs, 9 conference titles, 2 Heisman winners, most active alums in the NFL currently
Cons: It's ****ing Miami.

North Carolina:
Pros: 63k stadium, 9 conference titles, went to bowls every year since 2008, providers of the "I'm a ____ born" song.
Cons: The whole recent cheating thing, losing postseason record (13-16), a basketball school first and foremost.

North Carolina State:
Pros: 11 conference titles, winning postseason record including winning bowls past two seasons
Cons: 57k capacity stadium

Virginia:
Pros: 3 conference titles, 61k stadium, 2011 ACC Coach of the Year (Mike London), went to bowl last season
Cons: Losing postseason record (7-11), "Not Gay!" (google it)

Virginia Tech:
Pros: 7 conference titles, bowl game every season since 1993, 66k stadium
Cons: Losing postseason record (9-14), lost most recent BCS bowl games (2011 Orange, 2012 Sugar)

Wake Forest:
Pros: 2 conference titles, winning postseason record (6-4)
Cons: 31k stadium, only 10 bowl appearances

Pitt:
Pros: 1976 national champs, 2 conference titles (NOT a typo as they were indy till 1990), 65k stadium
Cons: Claim 8 additional national titles, losing postseason record (12-16)

Syracuse:
Pros: 1959 national champs, 4 conference titles, 1 Heisman winner, winning postseason record (12-9-1)
Cons: 49k stadium, one winning season since 2002 (8-5 in 2010)

Curly Bill
5/24/2012, 09:33 AM
I voted for like 5 or 6 of em!

Curly Bill
5/24/2012, 09:33 AM
Oh...and I voted for Clemson just so we can beat up on a BV coached defense! :)

rock on sooner
5/24/2012, 09:56 AM
I voted for FSU for football and Duke for basketball...yes I know this is
about football..

agoo758
5/24/2012, 10:06 AM
Florida State and Va Tech for sure. Maybe Georgia Tech just to see the triple option again, but you never know how much longer Paul Johnson is going to be there.

Curly Bill
5/24/2012, 10:22 AM
I voted for Duke and North Carolina for basketball reasons as well. Of course that would likely mean none of the current Big-12 members, with the possible exception of Kansas, would ever win another conference title.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/24/2012, 10:31 AM
If the BigXII is going to go back to, ya know, TWELVE, then what it really needs right now is to bring back a nationally relevant rivalry. Lost are OU-NU, Texas-aTm, and to lesser degrees CU-NU, MU-KU, and MU-NU. That's a lot of shred to the college football tapestry.

I really do not think Clemson brings that if they and FSU come aboard.

But you bring FSU-Miami... This should be obvious to everyone. Not to mention, as much as we hate the coCaines, there is already the built in "lesser degree" rivalries there between OU-FSU, OU-Miami, and Texas-Miami. (The 'horns have some bad blood with them too, if you'll recall.)

Not to mention, travel to Miami will be cheaper than travel to Clemson for everyone in the conference. That has to be considered. Travel to Tallahassee is plenty expensive, as I believe many found out.

rdusooner
5/24/2012, 10:40 AM
I voted for all North Carolina schools because I am selfish

LVSOONER15
5/24/2012, 11:01 AM
I voted for Va Tech.

delhalew
5/24/2012, 11:08 AM
Somebody voted for Wake :D

soonerboomer93
5/24/2012, 11:25 AM
http://tuxedoyoda.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-will-reaction-be-tonight-if.html

I'd go FSU and then GT or Clemson. It depends on how big the league decides to go, but I think they just want 12 for now unless something happens with ND.

Chuck Bao
5/24/2012, 11:25 AM
Somebody voted for Wake :D

I just now voted for Wake Forest because we probably need another Baptist school to counter all of the new heathens we are about to take in.

delhalew
5/24/2012, 12:03 PM
This is pretty funny, though we apparently had no reaction.

http://tuxedoyoda.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-will-reaction-be-tonight-if.html?m=1

badger
5/24/2012, 12:23 PM
Can someone make a gif of DM doing a barrelroll into the endzone? That can be our reaction :D

hc4e-nFKaGs

cccasooner2
5/24/2012, 12:26 PM
I tried to type YES into the first box but it wouldn't fit. Then I thought, aha, and tried to type NO into that same box but that didn't work either. I left it blank and went on to the others. I'm not sure what happened but when I pressed Vote, I got a bunch of purty bars. Did I win anything?

delhalew
5/24/2012, 12:45 PM
Can someone make a gif of DM doing a barrelroll into the endzone? That can be our reaction :D

hc4e-nFKaGs

If there is a pick of Mike S and Brent shaking hands or hugging, I might also nominate that.

budbarrybob
5/24/2012, 12:54 PM
Lets go to 16 teams. GT, VT, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, ND

BigTip
5/24/2012, 01:05 PM
Lets go to 16 teams. GT, VT, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, ND

East and West divisions instead of old North South.

This makes sense. We might as well be the first conference to super size as it seems it's inevitable in college football anyway.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/24/2012, 01:19 PM
This is pretty funny, though we apparently had no reaction.

http://tuxedoyoda.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-will-reaction-be-tonight-if.html?m=1

The one for John Swofford is dead on.

Badg, I think if all this comes to fruition we need a Thursday poll on Missouri's reaction on this. We know the reason they went to the SEC was 1) as a lifeline off a sinking ship and 2) because the pretty girl they've been flirting with all this time (Big 10/12) refused to have anything to do with them.

Mo gave up a conference where the travel was relatively easy regional travel and they gave up a rival in Kansas where in the past blood has actually been spilled. The SEC shows them how much they care about them by sticking them in the East where all of their travel is hundreds of miles and their new rivalry is with a bunch of hillbillies from Kentucky.

ouleaf
5/24/2012, 01:24 PM
If the future of college football is head towards 16 team super-conferences, I say be the first to get there. First preference would be to offer Pitt, VT, Clemson, FSU, Miami and ND.....I don't think its very realistic that we would get all of those though.

I do think it would be smart to be the first with 16 quality teams and not left to scamble for scraps.

badger
5/24/2012, 01:31 PM
their new rivalry is with a bunch of hillbillies

You could have just ended it like that :P

In regards to Misery, I don't think their fans are as pathetic as their outspoken governor ("Blah blah Big 12 academics suck compared to the Big Ten! Blah blah stronger basketball conference without Colorado and Nebraska!!!!") or the Internet fans. I think they'll wait till their inaugural SEC starts before the weeping and nashing of teeth begins.

When you see their 2012 schedule (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/big-12/2012-missouri-tigers-football-schedule.php), there is definitely room for weeping. I see many home and away losses in their future :D

soonerboomer93
5/24/2012, 01:37 PM
http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/2012/05/big-12-expansion-tracker.html

Link to a better summary of interest, etc :)

Eielson
5/24/2012, 02:23 PM
Well, we're on our way to super-conferences, so we might as well get a good 16 while we can. I only put FSU and Miami because I only wanted 12, and wanted Clemson and UNC as 13 and 14. I'm really not sure what I want for the last two spots. Duke and Louisville?

badger
5/24/2012, 02:31 PM
Well, we're on our way to super-conferences, so we might as well get a good 16 while we can. I only put FSU and Miami because I only wanted 12, and wanted Clemson and UNC as 13 and 14. I'm really not sure what I want for the last two spots. Duke and Louisville?

Well hell, maybe we should axe some current members if we're going for the strongest 16 possible :D

That can be Monday's poll, hehe

Bourbon St Sooner
5/24/2012, 02:47 PM
I don't want anything associated with Donna Shalala.

PalmettoSooner
5/24/2012, 04:46 PM
I picked Clemson, FSU, GT, and Miami.

Clemson: A rabid fanbase that still brags about their '81 National Championship and Danny Ford. Its a football school that is trapped in a basketball conference but has everything needed in place to be in a better conference like the Big 12. Plus I live 4 hours away from Clemson and look to see OU come play in my home state. :excitement:

FSU: Just like Clemson, they have a great tradition and have everything needed to be in a better conference than the ACC.

GT: I would like to see them join but I don't know if they are interested in joining (if they got invited). I would think so if Clemson and FSU jumps. Small stadium and its a fan base that does not travel well but I still think they can add a lot to the conference. If they do join...I hope they don't bring the option with them:excitement:

Miami: The only reason I picked them is I think they will follow FSU if they joined. Miami is not going to sit back while the two other big universities in the state reap all of that money.

The other teams:
I've heard the rumors that NCSU and VT would jump to the SEC because the SEC wants those markets. How true is that...I have no idea. Also, I heard when VT joined the ACC, them and UVA signed an agreement to stay in the same conference together. UNC and Duke would not jump b/c basketball is the top sport for those schools and I think they would rather stay with the addition of some more Big East schools. The rest would be a waste of time IMO.