PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Round-table: 2012 Sooners (video)

8timechamps
5/23/2012, 07:35 PM
Nothing we don't already know, but decent discussion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_XLe-xSJM

sooneredaco
5/23/2012, 08:57 PM
Hire Kevin Wilson!!!!!

boomersooner28
5/24/2012, 03:01 AM
Wow. Not a big Robert Smith fan, but I think he hit the nail on the head about our run game and defense.

LVSOONER15
5/24/2012, 07:57 AM
Good discussion.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/24/2012, 01:04 PM
Offensive line is the key.

SONofa47straitSOONER
5/24/2012, 01:29 PM
When someone says "I think..." that comment is their OPINION. And we've all heard "opinions are like ***-holes; everybody has one." This is how ESPN makes their stinking shows: By getting hot-air-blowing-has-beens to toot their OPINIONS, then sell advertising for all their funk.

Salt City Sooner
5/24/2012, 02:16 PM
Thought they came down on Landry a bit too hard personally. He certainly had some struggles, but there wasn't one mention of all the flat out drops by the WR's, & there were plenty. He can't run down field & catch it for them.

BoulderSooner79
5/24/2012, 09:26 PM
When someone says "I think..." that comment is their OPINION. And we've all heard "opinions are like ***-holes; everybody has one." This is how ESPN makes their stinking shows: By getting hot-air-blowing-has-beens to toot their OPINIONS, then sell advertising for all their funk.

And your point? It was a round-table discussion and anyone interested would view it as such. And anyone not interested -- well, there are about 500 other channels and millions of websites alternatives (and an off button).

IGotNoTiming
5/25/2012, 10:37 AM
Yeah the "has been" comment...eh.

The guys at the "has been" table have all been there, with the exception of the one writer. I would rather hear these guys break it down than a bunch of arm-chair quarter backs, who have never even played juco-ball. Because they all actually have played the the college game and in some cases the pro game at a very high level.

cleller
5/26/2012, 08:47 AM
Some excellent observations. Blackledge seems to be politely saying that we crashed way harder than a team with this talent level should. Or, the talent is there, but the heart and leadership weren't.

Just my opinion, and I'm one of the arm chair folks.

radio
5/26/2012, 02:19 PM
Thought they came down on Landry a bit too hard personally. He certainly had some struggles, but there wasn't one mention of all the flat out drops by the WR's, & there were plenty. He can't run down field & catch it for them.

You got that right. Stills needs to grow up. He has the talent.

Cant believe that nobody brought up the point that Stoops F ed up in Waco. Couldnt stop Griffin all day then calls timeout when Baylor was gonna run out the clock and OU had the MO.

BTW... Robert Smith mentioned OU's "stable" ROFL!!

cleller
5/26/2012, 03:23 PM

It seems like one of the perils of being a big time QB is that drops, etc, don't get much attention. Landry is a talented, productive QB, but does seem to have hot/cold spells, and some problems when the gameplan falls apart. Nothing unusual, we've just been spoiled by having a few recent QBs that performed unusually well in those circumstances.

Still very glad to have him on board.

8timechamps
5/26/2012, 07:25 PM
You got that right. Stills needs to grow up. He has the talent.

Cant believe that nobody brought up the point that Stoops F ed up in Waco. Couldnt stop Griffin all day then calls timeout when Baylor was gonna run out the clock and OU had the MO.

BTW... Robert Smith mentioned OU's "stable" ROFL!!

Really? They're not going to break down every loss from last season, as it was a preview discussion for this year. However, to discuss the Sooners upcoming season and not mention the let down from last year would have been crazy.

BoulderSooner79
5/26/2012, 11:22 PM
I was hoping they might bring up something as non-homers that hasn't been discussed here, but it didn't happen. It was a good discussion, but I thought they missed or under estimated the impact of losing Whaley. It's easy to say our run blocking was sub-par, but with Whaley healthy, our run game was effective which shows that wasn't true. I'm not saying our O-line is a bunch of road-graders, but if one back can produce then it proves the O-line can be effective. It's not a good reflection on the other RBs though and casts doubts that we are really loaded at RB.

8timechamps
5/31/2012, 06:29 PM
I was hoping they might bring up something as non-homers that hasn't been discussed here, but it didn't happen. It was a good discussion, but I thought they missed or under estimated the impact of losing Whaley. It's easy to say our run blocking was sub-par, but with Whaley healthy, our run game was effective which shows that wasn't true. I'm not saying our O-line is a bunch of road-graders, but if one back can produce then it proves the O-line can be effective. It's not a good reflection on the other RBs though and casts doubts that we are really loaded at RB.

It's funny that way...I always stop and listen to whatever is being said about OU on ESPN (and really any national media outlet), yet they usually don't know as much as we do. Not that we're linked in to an insider, but that we have usually discussed (ad nauseum) the same things they are just touching on. Still, it gets me every time.

It's really not fair for anyone to be overly critical towards last year's team. We had major injuries that clearly affected the way we played, and we still ended up with 10 wins. I know that we, as fans, expect better from a group so talented, but to overlook how injuries decimated that squad would be unfair and illogical. Which, I suppose, is just backing up your point on Whaley and the O-Line.

OU_Sooners75
5/31/2012, 07:00 PM
First, I usually do not watch anything ESPN unless it is a game. I usually do not like what they have to say or think of any team, let alone OU.

That said, I watched that video. And IMO, they were pretty dead on. Though we all have stated almost everything they did.

I do not think they said anything out of context or demeaning toward any player or the team.

That said, it was a good discussion. And with 3 guys at the table that has played the QB spot in college and/or the NFL, they were not over critical of Landry Jones.

And like we all know, if OU can answer the questions that the team has coming into the season, it will be a very special season for the OU team.

But still, until those questions are answered, I think OU loses at least 2 games.