PDA

View Full Version : Got spiders?

cleller
5/23/2012, 10:27 AM
Been seeing an abnormal amount of spiders the last few days. Maybe the heat is driving them in, or down from the attack looking for moisture. In the past I've seem some fiddlebacks (brown recluse) that were obvious, and easy to identify. Right now I'm seeing spiders that look very similar, but I don't think are brown recluse.

Body is part dark brown down the middle, lighter brown down the sides, but without the distinctive fiddle. About and inch long or so. Very common. Anyone know what they are, and if they bite?

delhalew
5/23/2012, 10:43 AM
If you are talking about wolf or grass spiders, I don't mind having them around. They bite, but it's comparable to a mesquito bite.

I am far more concerned with the ever present scorpions, and a new blight...millipedes. A **** ton of them.

yermom
5/23/2012, 10:57 AM
friggin' fiddlebacks all over my place for some reason

Boomer.....
5/23/2012, 10:58 AM
Call a pest company.

YWIA

cleller
5/23/2012, 11:01 AM
If you are talking about wolf or grass spiders, I don't mind having them around. They bite, but it's comparable to a mesquito bite.

I am far more concerned with the ever present scorpions, and a new blight...millipedes. A **** ton of them.

It may be wolf spiders. I had thought they were bigger, but after looking at pics, it may be young ones I'm seeing.

We've got scorpions, too. House is only 3 years old, and out in the sticks. I've had great success with glue traps. Scorpions like to stick to the baseboards, and around walls, so the traps get a lot of them. Also, boric acid along baseboards, under sinks, etc is effective. It is abrasive, and cuts their bodies. They are also looking for water.

Boric acid is the cheap roach powder you can get anywhere.

olevetonahill
5/23/2012, 11:18 AM
It may be wolf spiders. I had thought they were bigger, but after looking at pics, it may be young ones I'm seeing.

We've got scorpions, too. House is only 3 years old, and out in the sticks. I've had great success with glue traps. Scorpions like to stick to the baseboards, and around walls, so the traps get a lot of them. Also, boric acid along baseboards, under sinks, etc is effective. It is abrasive, and cuts their bodies. They are also looking for water.

Boric acid is the cheap roach powder you can get anywhere.

Scorpions? get ya some tarantulas they Love em some scorpion

I used to pick em up off the road and bring em home. The scorpions are mostly gone now and the Tarantulas have moved on to happier huntin grounds

delhalew
5/23/2012, 11:50 AM
The weather got ahead of me, otherwise I would have gotten sulpher spread around the house in time to keep most stuff from coming in.

OULenexaman
5/23/2012, 11:59 AM
This is supposed to be a record year for all these critters...no winter meant no egg kill off.

olevetonahill
5/23/2012, 12:02 PM
This is supposed to be a record year for all these critters...no winter meant no egg kill off.

I got too many criiters that I want around to be spreadin any Poison , So I just squish the ones I dont want :welcoming:

Curly Bill
5/23/2012, 12:04 PM
I always have a problem with some type of itty-bitty spiders around this time of year. Ever so often a brown recuse makes an appearance.

cleller
5/23/2012, 12:12 PM
Scorpions? get ya some tarantulas they Love em some scorpion

I used to pick em up off the road and bring em home. The scorpions are mostly gone now and the Tarantulas have moved on to happier huntin grounds

The wife screams from tarantulas are twice as loud as the scorpion screams.

The weather got ahead of me, otherwise I would have gotten sulpher spread around the house in time to keep most stuff from coming in.

That is a good idea. I bought a pound of sulfur powder on Amazon. Keep some in a salt shaker, and sprinkle it on my boots before hitting the thick brush. Works pretty well for keeping ticks off.

delhalew
5/23/2012, 12:54 PM
They do not like sulpher at all. One lb per 100 sq ft. won't alter your soil significantly.

olevetonahill
5/23/2012, 01:19 PM
The wife screams from tarantulas are twice as loud as the scorpion screams.

That is a good idea. I bought a pound of sulfur powder on Amazon. Keep some in a salt shaker, and sprinkle it on my boots before hitting the thick brush. Works pretty well for keeping ticks off.

cept the Scorpions will sting the **** outta ya , The Tarantulas just crawl around an mind they own business while eatin Scorpions

ouwasp
5/23/2012, 11:39 PM
Wife killed a big, spectacular Black Widow on the front porch today... first, though, she posted a pic of it on Facebook. :gary:

Pricetag
5/24/2012, 01:05 PM
I killed a black widow in my garage yesterday. It was hanging upside down, hourglass on full display. There was no mistaking what it was.

5/25/2012, 09:40 AM
I saw a marijuana spider this morning. It was the crack spider's biatch.

Lott's Bandana
5/25/2012, 11:37 AM
Bolivia-negfest from PG to the OP in 3...2...1...

olevetonahill
5/26/2012, 11:09 AM
Guess Ima havta go find me some Mo Tarantulas. Just got a scorpion off my couch. 1st one Ive seen in a couple of years

Lott's Bandana
5/26/2012, 11:25 AM
This beautiful creature lived in my Mom's backyard for many years. He was so docile, it seemed he enjoyed my attention.
Bet you can guess what I named him.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1103/johncouragesmilingforca.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/johncouragesmilingforca.jpg/)

olevetonahill
5/26/2012, 11:31 AM
This beautiful creature lived in my Mom's backyard for many years. He was so docile, it seemed he enjoyed my attention.
Bet you can guess what I named him.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1103/johncouragesmilingforca.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/johncouragesmilingforca.jpg/)

heh
They are allsome. Had one who hung out in my yard, he would be on the side of a tree when I went out, If I was just gonna mess around in the yard I pat the tree by him then hold my hand still and he would crawl on , The I transferred him to my shoulder. He would ride around like that till i was ready to come back in , Then I just put him back on the tree