PDA

View Full Version : Trent Smith Comment in DOK

PLaw
5/23/2012, 08:56 AM
From Jason Kersey article in today's paper:

There are, of course, key differences between 1999 and 2012.

“The talent level at OU is so much higher than it was when I played,” Smith said. “Just on paper, they are 10-times the team we ever were.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-sudden-lack-of-experienced-receivers-conjures-memories-of-bob-stoops-first-season/article/3677728#ixzz1vhUiOHZP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On paper, maybe so, but it remains to be seen whether or not the current squad has a fraction of the heart shown by those early Stoops' teams.

Trent's team converted a hard-nose work ethic to on the field performance that played every down with intensity, passion, and sense of urgency . Let's hope the 2012 team can do the same.

BOOMER

badger
5/23/2012, 09:27 AM
:mad: I feel like I am setting myself up for a big punch to the gut... a gut that is still trying to heal from a c-section :mad:

Love you Trent, but OU players and coaches seem to say that they have an uberly talented Sooner bunch every preseason only for us to not have an undefeated national championship season by December/January. :(

delhalew
5/23/2012, 10:34 AM
I don't know how you get that attitude out of overhyped kids. I sometimes fear Bob doesn't know how to either.

Widescreen
5/23/2012, 10:49 AM
10 times the team? Pretty loaded with hyperbole.

delhalew
5/23/2012, 10:58 AM
Pretty clear what he meant. Those guys weren't big time recruits. They considered themselves lucky to have the opportunity.

Eielson
5/23/2012, 11:09 AM
10 times the team? Pretty loaded with hyperbole.

No. They would win 70-7.

danband
5/23/2012, 11:09 AM
To bad this can't translate into the wins. Unfortunately, I think Stoops coaching has gone down ten times since 2000. Let's get this ship back on track!

Jack T.
5/23/2012, 11:12 AM
:mad: I feel like I am setting myself up for a big punch to the gut... a gut that is still trying to heal from a c-section :mad:

What is it GWB said? Something about fool me once, fool me twice, you won't fool me again? Every year I say I won't be fooled again. . .and the past few years I've still got that punch in the gut.

SoonerMarkVA
5/23/2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, Trent, but can they avoid injury like that 2000 team? That was one of the major keys to that season, and was the last one I can remember when we didn't sustain any significant loss to injury (Heupel's elbow being the closest thing).

badger
5/23/2012, 11:16 AM
What is it GWB said? Something about fool me once, fool me twice, you won't fool me again? Every year I say I won't be fooled again. . .and the past few years I've still got that punch in the gut.

No worries, I stopped stepping up to the "stand here to get punched in gut" spot several years ago, so when I was preggers, I did not get punched in the gut.

I love me my Sooner team, but I am no longer buying preseason championship hype. The last time I did, the BCS sent us to the state of Florida to play the University of Florida in front of a bunch of Florida fans for the championship.

Then, Tim Tebow happened.

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

picasso
5/23/2012, 01:48 PM
Isn't he talking about the team from the '99 season? You guys would poop your poopers if we lost as many games as that team did.

badger
5/23/2012, 01:53 PM
Isn't he talking about the team from the '99 season? You guys would poop your poopers if we lost as many games as that team did.

He is... I'm just ready to not anticipate it being the season-before-THE-season, yknow? ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
5/23/2012, 02:30 PM

I think a lot of people here better get ready to poop their poopers this upcoming season then. It could swing south from 10-3. I don't expect it to... but if we don't have our stuff together by the TT game, who knows?

I just have not been able to get enamored with the talent on this team. Let's put it this way: I was really excited going into 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, and 2008. After that doesn't it kind of feel that the talent has dropped off some? And I mean across the board. (Minus some bright spots. We still have standouts. To me it just doesn't seem as many across the board.)

I feel bad for Landry that he has to be compared to two Heisman QBs. But I don't think he excites anyone the way those two did going into their seasons. Don't get me wrong... VERY glad he is back. But I guess I just don't expect anything more out of him (with the comfort that unless he gets hurt I am confident we won't get anything less out of him. He'll have a better year than last year. And really, it shouldn't have to be on his shoulders to have much better a year... just eliminate maybe 5-8 turnovers... that's all.)

Dom Whaley is a fantastic story, and I hope he is back 100%. But does he excite anyone like Murray, Peterson, or Q did going into their seasons?

Stills is clearly not a Broyles or Clayton to get excited about. (Though, Metoyer may be... we'll have to wait and see.)

The o-line? It looks solid all the way across. But do we have a T. Williams, Loadholt, Davin Joseph, Jammal Brown? I don't see it.

Let's put it another way... the offensive player I am most excited about? A fullback. #33.

And it would be pointless for me to review this years D going into 2012 vs. past units. Though, we may have may have the solution there in Mike. I just think he has too much shuffling to do this first season back to make it one of his knock-out versions. I look to 2013 for the D to get its nasty back (with hopefully Colvin and Jefferson staying for SR years).

My point is it was easy to get REALLY excited about some of these past editions. This year?

I don't know what to expect. And maybe that's the point. It's a LOT like 1999. Or 2000.

badger
5/23/2012, 02:34 PM

Since I'm sleep deprived, I had a crazy thought: If you all knew that a national championship was only a 1999-like season away, would you put up with a 1999-like season knowing that the 2000-like season is coming up next?

Hell, I would suffer through a UT-like 5-7 season if it meant a championship season was next up.

Redshirt
5/23/2012, 02:47 PM
After the '98 season the '99 season was beautiful.

UberSooner
5/23/2012, 03:01 PM
To bad this can't translate into the wins. Unfortunately, I think Stoops coaching has gone down ten times since 2000. Let's get this ship back on track!

Yeah! Lets get this train back out to sea!

Redshirt
5/23/2012, 03:09 PM
...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

winout
5/23/2012, 04:02 PM

I don't think his coaching has changed it is just harder to coach prima donnas. Charles Haley said that even in the nfl, 90% of the guys were not self-motivated. Most of these guys think they can just phone it in.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2012, 04:06 PM
Let's ignore that some other teams have increased in talent also, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/24/2012, 11:12 AM
Question still stands: Is anyone excited about this 2012 team?

I can't believe it... even in the bad years I never felt this... but I'm kind of apathetic towards 2012.

If you are really excited... what are your reasons? Just curious what others are thinking...

badger
5/24/2012, 11:19 AM

I can't believe it... even in the bad years I never felt this... but I'm kind of apathetic towards 2012.

If you are really excited... what are your reasons? Just curious what others are thinking...

I am either growing up or something about college football or just the sport of football isn't the same anymore.

I find myself less interested in going to Norman every football game when I can save money, stay home and starting this fall, play mommy. No sunscreen, no standing for hours, no overpriced drinks and limited selection of food in a no re-entry policy stadium.

I find the ballooning athletic budgets, especially the huge coaching salaries, repulsive when the academic side of these alleged higher education institutions are having budget shortfalls and scraping money anywhere possible, including forcing students to take out more loans they'll pay off for decades to come.

I find the sport of football more scary and sad in the wake of even more reports of player deaths, retired player lawsuits, and that stupid lockout fight between millionaires and billionaires.I am torn between "you chose this violent sport and you got yourself bankrupt and injured in the process!" and "those poor families that lost their loved ones at such an early age."

PrideMom
5/24/2012, 11:34 AM
Congratulations on your new baby. I am 66 years old and I have never gotten tired of going to the OU football games. I know the large crowd is a challenge, but that is part of the fun. We have tickets in the westside upper deck, and have to walk the steep ramps, and I still LOVE to watch the game.
Football is a rough sport, but it always has been. If you have ever watched the earlier games the players played on both sides of the ball, and that was really tough! Again, people complain about the crowds, food, etc., but what do you expect when 85,000 people are going to be there?

I have suggestions: come early and eat your own food before the game.....

Curly Bill
5/24/2012, 12:10 PM
In regards to the excitement issue:

I think we'll be a very good team. I doubt we're in the national title hunt, but stranger things have happened.

I'm excited to see what Mike does with the defense. Also excited to see what Metoyer brings to the receiving core, and always anxious to see who amongst the youngsters will step up.

I think there's a lack of "star power" on this team that may cut down on the excitement level of some folks. Is there anyone we consider a Heisman candidate? LJ may have kinda fit into that last year, but that seems to have passed him by. Any proven studs on the defensive side of the ball? Tony Jefferson maybe, but he's not reached Roy Williams level.

And I'm sure some people are kinda off the OU bandwagon because the team has largely underachieved for the last several years. I dare say that many people, and I'm prolly one of em, are taking a wait and see attitude before they go getting too hyped about this year's addition.

Jack T.
5/24/2012, 12:35 PM

I'm sure I'll get excited as the summer goes on. . .but I'm kinda with badger on this. Honestly, since TGOWWDNS my interest has waned. I still like to see us win, but I don't much like to *see* us win, if that makes sense. I like to see the papers on Sunday morning talking about how OU beat whoever, but watching the games is harder every year.

TGOWWDNS, Oregon, Boise State, close games against OState almost every year, Colorado in 2007, Texas Tech the same year, West Virginia, Tim Tebow, Missouri in 2010. Injuries to Broyles, Whaley, R Lewis, Greshem, Bradford, English, Wort, Brody, DM7, the list goes on and on.

Seems like every game I'm wondering "is this a game where we lay an egg" or "is this the no-name quarterback/running back/receiver we push into the Heisman race?"

If there were such a thing, I'd say the Football gods were just dead set against us right now.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/24/2012, 03:30 PM
Most good QBs regress their senior years from their junior years for a variety of reasons. The good news is Landry has been an enigma his entire career despite the very good numbers and with last season being a down season for him, he'll probably be an enigma again and have a great senior campaign in its place.

Salt City Sooner
5/24/2012, 04:23 PM
I'm sure I'll get excited as the summer goes on. . .but I'm kinda with badger on this. Honestly, since TGOWWDNS my interest has waned. I still like to see us win, but I don't much like to *see* us win, if that makes sense. I like to see the papers on Sunday morning talking about how OU beat whoever, but watching the games is harder every year.

TGOWWDNS, Oregon, Boise State, close games against OState almost every year, Colorado in 2007, Texas Tech the same year, West Virginia, Tim Tebow, Missouri in 2010. Injuries to Broyles, Whaley, R Lewis, Greshem, Bradford, English, Wort, Brody, DM7, the list goes on and on.

Seems like every game I'm wondering "is this a game where we lay an egg" or "is this the no-name quarterback/running back/receiver we push into the Heisman race?"

If there were such a thing, I'd say the Football gods were just dead set against us right now.
Only in Stillwater. The 27-0 whitewashing OU put on OSU in '09 is the closest game they've given OU in Norman under Gundy.

As for WVU, I still rate that among (if not #1) the easiest money I've ever won on an OU game. Wish I had been wrong, but I saw that one coming a mile away.

MamaMia
5/24/2012, 04:26 PM
I am always excited about football season. The truth is, you never know whats going to happen. I always have hope that this will be our year to win the National Championship, but if its not then I still plan on having as much fun as I have always had meeting up with friends and family to support my alma mater's football team out of respect for all the hard work they put in.

UberSooner
5/24/2012, 04:34 PM
I am less excited this year, mostly because I bought into the hype last preseason season only to be disillusioned very quickly. I don't think we will contend again until we can recruit top Defensive ends. Until teams have to offensively scheme to stop our end rush first, we are going to have to score alot of points and our redzone woes are enough to make that a tough ask, week to week.

8timechamps
5/24/2012, 05:06 PM

I am excited about this year, but admittedly not as excited as last year.

Why am I excited about this year? Here's my list:

1. The arrival of Mike Stoops: I was one of the few BV fans, but I was also honest enough with myself to realize he wasn't getting the job done. I think his defensive mind couldn't translate to the 18-22 year old level. I also think BV really struggled with where to put talent. I suspect we'll see fairly similar results in his coordination at Clemson, with the exception of much less talented offenses (which will give him a change to develop). Anyway, Mike was/is/will always be a defensive coordinator. If nothing else, I think he will get the best players in the best possible positions.

1a: Trey Metoyer/Landry's Senior Season/Dominique Whaley: The unknown about these guys excites me. We've seen what a healthy Dom can do. We've seen what a confident Landry can do. We've even seen a glimpse of Metoyer's ability. Now I am anxious/excited to see what they can all do together.

2. Cancer-free environment: I think the house was cleaned at the end of last year, and I also think that it continued with the latest round of suspensions. For the first time in a long time, I think this team realizes that they are not entitled.

3. Incoming Talent: Although Metoyer has already had an impact on this season, I think there are two or three incoming guys that will contribute a lot in 2012. If Courtney Gardner can get his requirements taken care of, I think the worry that surrounds the WR position will be forgotten soon after the season opener. Even without Gardner, there is more talent at the WR for 2012 than any of us have ever seen in Norman. That has to mean good things. Also, there are a couple of defensive players that I think will surprise us this year. And we really are probably a better overall defensive until this year than last (even without the best DE tandem Stoops has ever had). I know that's a big statement, but I believe it to be true.

4. We're NOT pre-season #1: Personally, I wish we were somewhere around #10, but anything is better than #1. The hype/pressure was a lot last year (and any year we've been preseason #1), so I prefer us to be a little under the radar. And we are.

5. We will be in the Big XII Championship hunt: We have far too much talent not to be. I know it can go the other way, but I just don't see that happening. Now, a national title hunt would be great, but I'm certainly not assuming we'll be there.

As for Trent's comments, I think it's fair to read the entire story. He made a very good point when discussing recruits/players now versus when he was at OU. When Trent played, there was no social media. There was hype about players, but nothing compared to today. A lot of kids get to campus their freshman year thinking they are owed something. While I'm sure that happened some pre-social media, I think it's far more prevalent today.

The 2000 team was just a special team. There's really no way to compare then to now. The program and level of recruiting was in bad shape when Stoops got to Norman. It's not even the same program now.

Seamus
5/24/2012, 07:10 PM
Great post, 8time. Weren't Jonathan Jackson and Dan Cody on the same teams? I might pick them as the best DE tandem.

swardboy
5/24/2012, 08:51 PM
I truly am excited to see Whaley perform again. I go back to vids of last season and start to appreciate that he is a sublime mixture of speed and power. Fingers crossed on his post-injury return to form.

What puts the "meh" on this season for me is the post-Broyles performance of Landry and Stills last year. Talk about a deflated tire. I hope Metoyer is the superman we all wish him to be.

picasso
5/24/2012, 10:26 PM
Since I'm sleep deprived, I had a crazy thought: If you all knew that a national championship was only a 1999-like season away, would you put up with a 1999-like season knowing that the 2000-like season is coming up next?

Hell, I would suffer through a UT-like 5-7 season if it meant a championship season was next up.
YOU'Re sleep deprived? Try it with a 2.9 yr old and a one yr old. The sleeping days are over Badg.:beguiled:

badger
5/25/2012, 08:13 AM
YOU'Re sleep deprived? Try it with a 2.9 yr old and a one yr old. The sleeping days are over Badg.:beguiled:

A 2.9 year old, huh? I wonder when I'm gonna start counting kiddo age in decimals instead of weeks :P

picasso
5/25/2012, 02:05 PM
There's your example of sleep deprivation. And, we got another on the way Jerry.

8timechamps
5/25/2012, 03:06 PM
Great post, 8time. Weren't Jonathan Jackson and Dan Cody on the same teams? I might pick them as the best DE tandem.

Were they? I don't remember (and way too lazy to look it up). If so, then they would certainly give Alexander and Lewis a run for the best tandem.

C&CDean
6/5/2012, 10:06 AM
There's your example of sleep deprivation. And, we got another on the way Jerry.

So you're shooting for a full soccer team huh? Break the mold brother. Soon. Them little ****s get mighty expensive - in dollars and heartache - as the years go by. Enjoy your sleepless nights now. The ones you'll have in a decade or 2 are much worse. And tell Camden congrats.

C&CDean
6/5/2012, 10:15 AM
I am personally enjoying this off-season more than I have in many years. It's great to not have big expectations. Let's just go out there and let the chips fall where they may. We're obviously good enough at several key positions to be playing for it all, but if we/you haven't learned that there's so much more to a no-loss season then we're some ignorant dillweeds.

Injuries. Chemistry. Playing smart. Following coach's instructions. Listening. Shutting the F up with all the "hip-hop I wanna be big stah" bull**** and playing team ball. Putting down the bong. Letting somebody else drive if you're drinking. Don't steal ****. Don't make gangsta vids. Pay your parking tickets. Show up for class and actually attempt to make a passing grade. Did I mention pay attention to the coaches?

Seems like every year all, or several of the above situations bite us in the ***. Can we please just have a year where the only newspaper clippings are about gridiron success? Please?

zeke
6/5/2012, 10:37 AM

THIS !!!

opksooner
6/5/2012, 07:28 PM
Seems like every year all, or several of the above situations bite us in the ***. Can we please just have a year where the only newspaper clippings are about gridiron success? Please?

THIS !!!

BASSooner
6/5/2012, 10:28 PM
We may have 10 times the talent moreso than the 2000 team but there is no debate that the 2000 team was Bob's best team he's ever had. I'm not saying because they won the NC. It was how they played and getting to the NC....and winning it. It doesn't matter how much talent you have, if there's no team chemistry, there is no championship that season

8timechamps
6/5/2012, 11:07 PM
I am personally enjoying this off-season more than I have in many years. It's great to not have big expectations. Let's just go out there and let the chips fall where they may. We're obviously good enough at several key positions to be playing for it all, but if we/you haven't learned that there's so much more to a no-loss season then we're some ignorant dillweeds.

Injuries. Chemistry. Playing smart. Following coach's instructions. Listening. Shutting the F up with all the "hip-hop I wanna be big stah" bull**** and playing team ball. Putting down the bong. Letting somebody else drive if you're drinking. Don't steal ****. Don't make gangsta vids. Pay your parking tickets. Show up for class and actually attempt to make a passing grade. Did I mention pay attention to the coaches?

Absolutely!

As I said in a previous post, I wouldn't mind if we were ranked lower in the pre-season polls. Outside of the people that follow the team/program closely (like most of us), nobody is really saying anything about this team. No big expectations.

I really hope the bad seeds are gone, and this team can move forward. If so, injuries is the only other thing that could put a damper in the season....but, that's true every year.