PDA

View Full Version : Still no verdict in the John Edwards trial

badger
5/22/2012, 04:21 PM
Seriously, what is the holdup?! Is this gonna be like ex-Illinois Gov. Blago where one juror just refuses to convict, even as Blago is off cursing into the phone about how much money needs to get for Obama's senate seat?!

Link (http://newsok.com/jury-at-edwards-trial-ends-3rd-day-of-deliberation/article/feed/384911)

Is this not as open-and-shut as it appears?! Thoughts????

okie52
5/22/2012, 04:37 PM
Seriously, what is the holdup?! Is this gonna be like ex-Illinois Gov. Blago where one juror just refuses to convict, even as Blago is off cursing into the phone about how much money needs to get for Obama's senate seat?!

Link (http://newsok.com/jury-at-edwards-trial-ends-3rd-day-of-deliberation/article/feed/384911)

Is this not as open-and-shut as it appears?! Thoughts????

From what I heard I thought it was going to be hard to prove...that he willingly and KNOWINGLY did it. He probably is guilty but I just don't know if they can prove it.

virginiasooner
5/22/2012, 09:40 PM
The jury is hung -- there is one (or two) people who think that this prosecution was a waste of time and won't convict under any circumstances. And if we start prosecuting all men who behave like pigs, the courts will be clogged even worse than they are now by drug crimes.

soonercruiser
5/22/2012, 09:48 PM
From what I heard I thought it was going to be hard to prove...that he willingly and KNOWINGLY did it. He probably is guilty but I just don't know if they can prove it.

It's more difficult than that Okie.
You have to prove that he did the money thing to specifically hide the story politically before the election.

If he simply did it to hide the truth from his wife - it isn't a crime.
That's his defense.

The long delay in a verdict doesn't bode well for a conviction.

soonercruiser
5/22/2012, 09:50 PM
The jury is hung -- there is one (or two) people who think that this prosecution was a waste of time and won't convict under any circumstances. And if we start prosecuting all men who behave like pigs, the courts will be clogged even worse than they are now by drug crimes.

If that is the case, some lawyer didn't vet the jury well.
Or, the juror lied to the lawyer and Judge about their fellings on the case.

cleller
5/22/2012, 10:07 PM
The jury is probably sitting around discussing how hard it is to find a fair, decent, honest person to run for office.

badger
5/23/2012, 08:36 AM
The jury is probably sitting around discussing how hard it is to find a fair, decent, honest person to run for office.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

soonercruiser
5/23/2012, 10:10 AM
NO! I won't go!
:fox:

jkjsooner
5/24/2012, 10:56 PM
It's more difficult than that Okie.
You have to prove that he did the money thing to specifically hide the story politically before the election.

And according to some legal experts, even assuming he did it to hide the story politically, it's still a little shaky to consider that an illegal campaign contribution.

The guy is a sleaze no matter how you slice it.

badger
5/29/2012, 02:15 PM
Day 7. This doesn't bode very well for a "guilty" verdict, does it?

Or, are there two that are so adamant on each side that the rest of the jury is getting pizzed at not having a unanimous verdict?

Anyone have any jury insight here from serving on a jury or knowing a lot about trials? Thoughts?

rock on sooner
5/29/2012, 03:42 PM
When the jury didn't return a verdict in the first two days, I told my
wife that he won't get convicted...lots of questions about jury conduct
and the weakness of the prosecutors....

badger
5/29/2012, 04:14 PM
When the jury didn't return a verdict in the first two days, I told my
wife that he won't get convicted...lots of questions about jury conduct
and the weakness of the prosecutors....

Do you think that it might be like Blago's first case, where one juror hung the rest and eventually the judge was like "Get as many counts decided as you can" and then they re-tried the rest later with a different jury?

LiveLaughLove
5/29/2012, 07:07 PM
Celebrity types always have a leg up in this stuff. People just can't believe famous people do bad things.

Probably at least a third of them supported his politics also, if not him directly.

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 09:27 AM
Celebrity types always have a leg up in this stuff. People just can't believe famous people do bad things.

Probably at least a third of them supported his politics also, if not him directly.

My wife caucused for him here in Iowa, but now he's damn lucky that she's not sitting
on his jury. He betrayed a LOT of trust (and supporters). (I caucused for Hillary and Obama
won...so go figure!)

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 09:29 AM
My wife caucused for him here in Iowa, but now he's damn lucky that she's not sitting
on his jury. He betrayed a LOT of trust (and supporters). (I caucused for Hillary and Obama
won...so go figure!)
So yer sayin you an yer Old Lady are LOSERS ?

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 10:38 AM
So yer sayin you an yer Old Lady are LOSERS ?

That's one way to look at it.

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 10:40 AM
That's one way to look at it.

:very_drunk:

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 01:30 PM
:very_drunk:

Kinda early, ain't it?

olevetonahill
5/30/2012, 01:40 PM
Kinda early, ain't it?

Its 5 o'clock someres

Curly Bill
5/30/2012, 01:41 PM
Kinda early, ain't it?

Pfffft

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 02:05 PM
Its 5 o'clock someres

That's fair, I fergot....

rock on sooner
5/30/2012, 02:07 PM
Pfffft

Well said!

badger
5/31/2012, 01:39 PM
VERDICT IS IN! VERDICT IS IN! Stay tuned for the verdict...

jkjsooner
5/31/2012, 01:58 PM
won...so go figure!)

I never really had an opinion on him but I did make the argument that he was the most electable among the bunch of democrats. I was still under the belief that we were not ready for Obama or Hillary and Edwards was this clean cut white southern guy...

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 03:02 PM
VERDICT IS IN! VERDICT IS IN! Stay tuned for the verdict...

A verdict on ONE of the 6 , Judge tolt em get back in there and keep at it

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/j...183230275.html

badger
5/31/2012, 03:28 PM
Not guilty on the one. Mistrial on the rest. No wonder Johnny was all smiles.

Meh. Let him smile. His political and family life is ruined.

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 03:32 PM
Bet they try him again

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 04:06 PM
I never really had an opinion on him but I did make the argument that he was the most electable among the bunch of democrats. I was still under the belief that we were not ready for Obama or Hillary and Edwards was this clean cut white southern guy...
He is and always has been slimier than Snail ****

virginiasooner
5/31/2012, 06:35 PM
Bet they try him again

Bet they won't.

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 06:37 PM
Bet they won't.
Yer on. a Dollar

yermom
5/31/2012, 10:44 PM
why waste the money on a guy that didn't win anything and is likely already irrelevant?

olevetonahill
5/31/2012, 10:52 PM
why waste the money on a guy that didn't win anything and is likely already irrelevant?

Cause he broke the law?

yermom
5/31/2012, 11:09 PM
so the government should waste millions more of my dollars because some scumbag wanted to hide is infidelity from his wife?

olevetonahill
6/1/2012, 06:43 AM
so the government should waste millions more of my dollars because some scumbag wanted to hide is infidelity from his wife?

Why not? They gonna waste it somewhere.:excitement:

badger
6/1/2012, 08:37 AM
True story: After the verdict, I went back and watched Hannity and Colmes on youtube to remind me that not all Dems are slimeballs like John Edwards. :mad:

Seriously, go Alan Colmes. Give him his own show on Fox News (not just the radio version) and I bet people would watch. H&C was the most popular show on Fox News behind O'Reilly for a reason. :D

g7OydVK-0S8

virginiasooner
6/1/2012, 08:41 AM
Yer on. a Dollar

Donate the dollar to your local food bank, okay?

olevetonahill
6/1/2012, 08:44 AM
Donate the dollar to your local food bank, okay?

Ditto :very_drunk:

Midtowner
6/1/2012, 10:23 AM
Cause he broke the law?

That's actually pretty iffy. There's a reason why the feds probably won't take it to trial again. The statute isn't really clear that this sort of behavior violates the law. The main question here (in the mistrail part) is whether money received from two wealthy donors which was used to hide his mistress was subject to campaign finance laws. It's distasteful, it's immoral, but that doesn't make it illegal.

From a constitutional perspective, there's a decent chance that even if the jury had convicted on all six counts, an appeals court would have overturned the convictions. For criminal laws, they must be written clear enough to provide folks with adequate notice that their conduct violates the law. In other words, in the case of a real ambiguity, the law sides with the defendant. Again, the question as to whether a gift to a person which is made to help him cover up an affair is a campaign contribution isn't a simple question at all, which is likely why the jury deadlocked.

Curly Bill
6/1/2012, 10:26 AM
He's scum, he's ruined politically, legally I say we move on to something else.

OULenexaman
6/1/2012, 11:36 AM
what I find funny is he actually apologizes for everything he's done......an admission of guilt. But he is found not guilty. He should call OJ and tell him it's OK.......you can admit it now.

jkjsooner
6/1/2012, 02:05 PM
what I find funny is he actually apologizes for everything he's done......an admission of guilt. But he is found not guilty. He should call OJ and tell him it's OK.......you can admit it now.

If what he admitted to isn't illegal how do you expect to find him guilty of a crime?