PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 to add FSU and ND (for 3 years in olympic sports then full member)?

OU_Sooners75
5/21/2012, 08:41 PM
Oh really?

Got this from a freeboard for West Virginia:

B12 adding FSU...and Notre Dame in Olympic Sports for 3 years..

then when their TV contract expires in 3 years, they will become a full fledged member of the B12 in ALL sports. This according to Greg Swaim from the "Big Time Sports TV/Radio Show" that evidently has some credo. Saw this on the Texas OrangeBlood site. According to Swaim, the Golden Domers want in and they want FSU to join them in the B12...NOT Miami, NOT Clemson, NOT Louisville. They can call their own shots as to who they partner with. Expect some major news regarding ND to the B12 in the next week. This one could have legs folks.

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&tid=155329942&mid=155329942&sid=891&style=2

What do you all think?

delhalew
5/21/2012, 08:57 PM
I can't say that would surprise me. At this point, anything is possible.

soonerboomer93
5/21/2012, 09:02 PM
I'm fine with ND as long as they're bringing Football. It's okay that they have 3 years left on their TV for FB but they have to be bringing FB at some known point.

delhalew
5/21/2012, 09:12 PM
Exactly. They need to hitch their wagon just like everyone else.

Phil
5/21/2012, 09:13 PM
Swaim? That Aggy? He's got no credibility whatsoever. Love to see it, but I'm not putting any stock in what Swaim has to say.

SoonerMarkVA
5/21/2012, 09:19 PM
IIRC, Greg Swaim is that OSU mouthpiece (but I could be remembering wrong), so I don't put much stock in what he says since, if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he's made some pretty outlandish (and wrong) predictions.

That aside, if that's the case, then to land FSU and ND to fill out the 12 would be as heavyweight as it gets. I mean, wow.

That would mean, in the last few years, we've traded:

* NU (only real loss of the group)
* CU
* Mizzou
* Aggie

for

* TCU (a little meh, but lately they've been worthy)
* WVU (very respectable, better than anything we've lost but NU)
* FSU (powerhouse)
* ND (powerhouse)

That just blows my mind to consider.

And, yes, football *must* be part of the deal for ND, as long as the entrance season is agreed to up front, and not something ridiculous like 5 or more years. If the 3-year thing were the case, I'd have no issue with that.

Penguin
5/21/2012, 10:21 PM
Olympic sports? What? We only get their fencing and ballroom dancing teams for three years?

OU_Sooners75
5/21/2012, 10:32 PM
Olympic sports? What? We only get their fencing and ballroom dancing teams for three years?

If Swaim is correct (which I agree with Phil, I doubt he is) then they would join the conference in all sports but football for the remainder of their NBC football contract (3 years). Then after the 3 years is up, they would be a full member in the conference, which means all sports, including football.

If this is the case, and like I said coming from Swaim, I doubt it, it would be a huge development!

swardboy
5/21/2012, 10:37 PM
Just think, if Byu had come over, in time we'd have the Baptists (Baylor), the Catholics (ND), the Mormons (BYU), the Christians (TCU), and the atheists (Texas).

soonerboy_odanorth
5/21/2012, 10:54 PM
Just think, if Byu had come over, in time we'd have the Baptists (Baylor), the Catholics (ND), the Mormons (BYU), the Christians (TCU), and the hindus*** (Texas).

FIFY

***cow worshipers

soonerboy_odanorth
5/21/2012, 11:28 PM
Speaking of cow worshipers...

All this rumor and innuendo is, well, just that... rumor and innuendo. I wouldn't put any stock in it... for the time being.

However:

Should the coup of the century take place, and FSU and ND do both join to bring the conference back to XII, then the 800 lb gorilla goes on a serious diet.

Picture this... we are at a full XII, with OU, ND, FSU, WVU, and other strong programs bolstering the conf including TT, KSU, and oSu.

Texas says, "Hey yo... we're thinking about going independent again or playing footsie with Cali. How 'bout you give us more money and let us show Texas high school football on LHN."

Can you imagine the collective response? I can. It would be somewhere between "I'm sorry, did you say something?" and "I hear BYU is still independent. Maybe you can start your own conference with them."

Which is to say... this has about 100,000,000 to 1 odds of happening. Texas likely will fight this because they would have to yield too much power.

Remember... DeLoss is pretty adamant that 10 is a nice number. And contemplating this brings clarity as to why he likes 10. Because at 10, with OU the only other true all-time power, they can call the shots. ND comes aboard, not to mention another power program like FSU, and that goes away in a big hurry.

OU_Sooners75
5/22/2012, 12:39 AM

All this rumor and innuendo is, well, just that... rumor and innuendo. I wouldn't put any stock in it... for the time being.

However:

Should the coup of the century take place, and FSU and ND do both join to bring the conference back to XII, then the 800 lb gorilla goes on a serious diet.

Picture this... we are at a full XII, with OU, ND, FSU, WVU, and other strong programs bolstering the conf including TT, KSU, and oSu.

Texas says, "Hey yo... we're thinking about going independent again or playing footsie with Cali. How 'bout you give us more money and let us show Texas high school football on LHN."

Can you imagine the collective response? I can. It would be somewhere between "I'm sorry, did you say something?" and "I hear BYU is still independent. Maybe you can start your own conference with them."

Which is to say... this has about 100,000,000 to 1 odds of happening. Texas likely will fight this because they would have to yield too much power.

Remember... DeLoss is pretty adamant that 10 is a nice number. And contemplating this brings clarity as to why he likes 10. Because at 10, with OU the only other true all-time power, they can call the shots. ND comes aboard, not to mention another power program like FSU, and that goes away in a big hurry.

LOL

You do realize that each school has equal say and equal veto power as it is now, right?

swardboy
5/22/2012, 07:42 AM
FIFY

***cow worshipers

I'm Swardboy, and I approve this FIFY.

badger
5/22/2012, 08:27 AM
Just think, if Byu had come over, in time we'd have the Baptists (Baylor), the Catholics (ND), the Mormons (BYU), the Christians (TCU), and the atheists (Texas).

Why that didn't happen:

BYU: We're as valuable a brand as Texas!
Texas: No you're not.
OU: You're really not, sorry.
Boone Pickens: Where da hell is Provo?!
BYU: :mad:

And... that was the end of that chapter.

setem
5/22/2012, 09:05 AM
Notre Dame is going to get throttled in the Big XII! They will lose to OU, Texas, OSU, KSU, WVU, TT and TCU pretty much every year! Then add FSU if they join...it will not go well for them!

SoonerMarkVA
5/22/2012, 09:29 AM
ND would be throttled right now, that's true. But i have to wonder if they would adjust their admissions standards as part of conference alignment. I also wonder if the association with the conference will give them a boost in recruiting. I know they're as big a name as you can get as in indy, but that has to also carry some burden. I look for WVU and, if they join, ND to enjoy some increased performance within 3-4 years due to conference strength.

budbarrybob
5/22/2012, 09:32 AM

ROR!

budbarrybob
5/22/2012, 09:36 AM
I would put my money on FSU and Thug U, before FSU and ND to the B12

setem
5/22/2012, 09:36 AM
Not sure what you meant by your last sentence? You look for WVU? WVU already joined...not being a jerk just trying to understand.

badger
5/22/2012, 09:42 AM
Not sure what you meant by your last sentence? You look for WVU? WVU already joined...not being a jerk just trying to understand.

The way I understood it, he looked for WVU to get better by joining the Big 12. Kind of like I look for Baylor to suck next year, I look for Poke State to barely make a bowl, I look for OU to win the Big 12 again, and I look for Texas to be mediocre by Texas standards again :mack:

But... I disagree. West Virginia has enjoyed a status in the Big East that it won't so much in Big 12 as far as football is concerned... a status where being ranked in the 20s will not prevent you from going to a BCS bowl.

EDIT: The couch burners were ranked 22-23 in the BCS, Harris, AP and Coaches polls and finished the season 17-18 in the AP/Coaches polls, respectively. Of course, they proceeded to throttle Clemson in the Orange Bowl, winning 70-33. If you thought our Fiesta Bowl against them was bad, can you imagine losing 70-33? Uggggghhhh

soonerboy_odanorth
5/22/2012, 10:49 AM
LOL

You do realize that each school has equal say and equal veto power as it is now, right?

Yeah. Right. Sure. If that helps everyone sleep better at night.

Really. You believe that? Really? Because Colorado and Nebraska and aTm and Mizzou didn't have that same equal say and equal veto power? Because technically, they did. Yet they went away butt-hurt that Texas was running roughshod all over them. Really.

I have some great waterfront property for sale in Ellis County that might interest you.

This isn't about rubber-stamp board room procedure anymore. It's about branding. Right now, only two schools in the Big XII carry true national branding when it comes to the bus driver (football). And even then one of those schools doesn't carry enough cache to punch their ticket to the West Coast even when openly soliciting that association. That one isn't Texas, sorry to say.

But you add two national brands in ND, and FSU and it starts to get a little more crowded in the Admiral's Club when everyone is flying in for the annual meetings.

SoonerMarkVA
5/22/2012, 11:37 AM

What Badger said. I expect WVU to become better over time for being part of the XII instead of the Big East. Their exposure and recruiting will increase substantially, and I've always felt that better competition increases everyone's skill. I was also saying that, if ND happens to join, I expect the same for them, that being in the XII will give them a boost that they would not get from remaining indy.

badger
5/22/2012, 12:00 PM

Really. You believe that? Really? Because Colorado and Nebraska and aTm and Mizzou didn't have that same equal say and equal veto power? Because technically, they did. Yet they went away butt-hurt that Texas was running roughshod all over them. Really.

Anyone else ever watch that old ABC show "The Practice?" One time, the 6-vote-member law firm, where the senior partner had two votes and the tiebreaker, were deciding whether to accept a new client. Three voted yes, two, including the senior, voted no. The senior had the tiebreaking vote as well, so even though the vote was 3 people yes to 2 people no, it was voted down.

I think this is how some of the others felt sometimes on votes, like the majority of members could like something but it still wouldn't go through if the head honcho didn't like it. It would be something like this:

The state of Texas and the state of Oklahoma: What UT wants
The states of Colorado, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas: Not what UT wants.

Even though the greater geographic footprint (i.e. more states) wanted something else, the vote is tied, 6 members to 6 members. And the tiebreaker likely goes to the lead dog, and so the decision is... what UT wants, because UT says so.

Was that long winded and ranty? Sorry. New baby at house. Lack of sleep and stuff. More of my posts are probably going to be more incoherent the next several months. More than usual, I mean.

EDIT: I'm going to make that my new sig, hehe

8timechamps
5/22/2012, 12:32 PM

I have some great waterfront property for sale in Ellis County that might interest you.

This isn't about rubber-stamp board room procedure anymore. It's about branding. Right now, only two schools in the Big XII carry true national branding when it comes to the bus driver (football). And even then one of those schools doesn't carry enough cache to punch their ticket to the West Coast even when openly soliciting that association. That one isn't Texas, sorry to say.

But you add two national brands in ND, and FSU and it starts to get a little more crowded in the Admiral's Club when everyone is flying in for the annual meetings.

Yep. There is no question that Texas is the power-player in the Big XII. Look no further than the LHN. Sure, every school has a "vote", but that means very little in the big picture.

badger
5/22/2012, 12:55 PM
Yep. There is no question that Texas is the power-player in the Big XII. Look no further than the LHN. Sure, every school has a "vote", but that means very little in the big picture.

http://stopahmadinejadrally.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/ahmadinejad1.jpg
Every Iranian got one vote too, didn't they. :(

delhalew
5/22/2012, 01:14 PM
I can't believe some of you buy that Texas is all powerful crap. They have as much power as we grant them.

delhalew
5/22/2012, 01:17 PM
It's like listening to Chip Brown.

EatLeadCommie
5/22/2012, 02:44 PM

However:

I don't see ND happening for a couple reasons. First, the academics of the BXII suck. The B10 or ACC is a much better fit for them in that regard. Second, it would require that they give up their independence, which probably means surrendering at least one rivalry game that they hold near and dear.

Now I could see them doing this because it expands their recruiting base to Texas and Florida. It used to be just being ND was enough to attract a recruit, but not so much anymore.

I don't think Texas cares one way or another. No, they didn't get to do HS football on their network, but they got their money for their network from ESPN already, and with an expanded BXII, they will get even more money from a bigger, renegotiated contract.

OU_Sooners75
5/22/2012, 04:32 PM

You are confusing influence over actual power.

OU_Sooners75
5/22/2012, 04:34 PM
I don't see ND happening for a couple reasons. First, the academics of the BXII suck. The B10 or ACC is a much better fit for them in that regard. Second, it would require that they give up their independence, which probably means surrendering at least one rivalry game that they hold near and dear.

Now I could see them doing this because it expands their recruiting base to Texas and Florida. It used to be just being ND was enough to attract a recruit, but not so much anymore.

I don't think Texas cares one way or another. No, they didn't get to do HS football on their network, but they got their money for their network from ESPN already, and with an expanded BXII, they will get even more money from a bigger, renegotiated contract.

I would say those crappy academic schools of the Big 12 havent made Texas worse in their academics.

Academics is not what drives 97% of the conferences. Sports are what started conference alignments, not academics.

OU_Sooners75
5/22/2012, 04:35 PM
I can't believe some of you buy that Texas is all powerful crap. They have as much power as we grant them.

eggsactly!

8timechamps
5/22/2012, 04:56 PM

eggsactly!

Fair comment delhalew, but given recent history, we've given them more power than any other school in the conference. Maybe we only have ourselves (as a conference collective) to blame.

I think Dobbs had Beebe in the palm of his hand. However, I think Bowlsby is in a position to level the playing field. What (I think) it boiled down to is once Beebe was gone, the conference members not names "Texas" realized the next guy could take them down a few notches. At least I hope that's what he does.

EatLeadCommie
5/22/2012, 05:20 PM
I would say those crappy academic schools of the Big 12 havent made Texas worse in their academics.

Academics is not what drives 97% of the conferences. Sports are what started conference alignments, not academics.

It hasn't made their academics suffer...yet. This is the first year for the BXII's status as an academic bottom-feeder conference, though, so it's possible it will happen. They lost CU, aTm, and Mizzou in the last year, all of whom would currently occupy the 2 or 3 position (behind Texas and Baylor) as the second (aTm) or third (CU, Mizzou) best school in the BXII. Adding ND (who would easily be the best academic school in BXII) and FSU would actually improve the BXII's academic standing, but for now we added TCU (ok) and WVU (laughably bad). Even adding Clemson would surprisingly be an academic boon to the BXII.

Because Texas is Texas, I don't anticipate their recruiting dropping off any to compensate for the resulting lack of academics in the conference, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. I would not be surprised, however, if one of ND's conditions for entry would be a tightening of admission standards among the other schools in the conference, in which case they can go hump a goat.

You can say that sports started conference alignments, but ND isn't bound to a conference. Academics are important to them. Geographically, they are best fit for the B10. Academically, they align well with the B10 and the ACC. As the ACC poaches more Big East schools, they may find themselves more geographically suited for the ACC as well. The money the BXII is seeing now is due to a good contract and the recentness of that contract. The SEC will see the most money whenever it renews. The Big 10 and Pac 12 probably too. When those conferences were inking their deals, everybody was ticked that the BXII was getting underpaid, but it was simply a matter of not having a new deal in place yet. The BXII's most recent deal has set a precedent that everybody will follow, and everybody in the other conferences will demand more money down the road. Only the Big East and the ACC stand a chance of not getting it.

OU_Sooners75
5/22/2012, 05:59 PM
It hasn't made their academics suffer...yet. This is the first year for the BXII's status as an academic bottom-feeder conference, though, so it's possible it will happen. They lost CU, aTm, and Mizzou in the last year, all of whom would currently occupy the 2 or 3 position (behind Texas and Baylor) as the second (aTm) or third (CU, Mizzou) best school in the BXII. Adding ND (who would easily be the best academic school in BXII) and FSU would actually improve the BXII's academic standing, but for now we added TCU (ok) and WVU (laughably bad). Even adding Clemson would surprisingly be an academic boon to the BXII.

Because Texas is Texas, I don't anticipate their recruiting dropping off any to compensate for the resulting lack of academics in the conference, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. I would not be surprised, however, if one of ND's conditions for entry would be a tightening of admission standards among the other schools in the conference, in which case they can go hump a goat.

You can say that sports started conference alignments, but ND isn't bound to a conference. Academics are important to them. Geographically, they are best fit for the B10. Academically, they align well with the B10 and the ACC. As the ACC poaches more Big East schools, they may find themselves more geographically suited for the ACC as well. The money the BXII is seeing now is due to a good contract and the recentness of that contract. The SEC will see the most money whenever it renews. The Big 10 and Pac 12 probably too. When those conferences were inking their deals, everybody was ticked that the BXII was getting underpaid, but it was simply a matter of not having a new deal in place yet. The BXII's most recent deal has set a precedent that everybody will follow, and everybody in the other conferences will demand more money down the road. Only the Big East and the ACC stand a chance of not getting it.

Academics does not drive the conference alignment forces.

Sure, Presidents love talking about academics....that is their job by the way....but they know full well that money and sports drive conference alignment!

I am assuming you have a college degree (if you dont fine by me)....Say you graduated from THE University of Oklahoma. Do you put on your resume that you graduated from OU and that they are a member of the Big 12? I don't think so. Nor do employers give a **** if OU is in the Big 12 or the NAIA's KCAC!

Say you graduated from Duke. Do you put "graduated from Duke (ACC) with honors" on your resume? No!

And you are wrong about ND not being bound to a conference. They are a member of the Big East (currently) in every sport but football.

Hmmm....in a sports conference to help subsidize their revenue for everything but football.

virginiasooner
5/22/2012, 06:21 PM
Don't want the Domeheads -- they'd be more trouble than they are worth. Every rule would have a "Notre Dame exception" -- which makes the rules a mockery. The Domeheads belong in the same conference as Michigan, Ohio State, et al. (whatever their name is now).

goingoneight
5/22/2012, 09:26 PM
The way I understood it, he looked for WVU to get better by joining the Big 12. Kind of like I look for Baylor to suck next year, I look for Poke State to barely make a bowl, I look for OU to win the Big 12 again, and I look for Texas to be mediocre by Texas standards again :mack:

But... I disagree. West Virginia has enjoyed a status in the Big East that it won't so much in Big 12 as far as football is concerned... a status where being ranked in the 20s will not prevent you from going to a BCS bowl.

EDIT: The couch burners were ranked 22-23 in the BCS, Harris, AP and Coaches polls and finished the season 17-18 in the AP/Coaches polls, respectively. Of course, they proceeded to throttle Clemson in the Orange Bowl, winning 70-33. If you thought our Fiesta Bowl against them was bad, can you imagine losing 70-33? Uggggghhhh

OU loses to WVU (albeit, way short-handed)--
"Fire Venables!!!11!1"

Clemson loses to WVU--
"Hire Venables1111!!!1!!"

soonerboy_odanorth
5/22/2012, 09:43 PM
You are confusing influence over actual power.

You're mistakenly dismissing the actual power of influence.

OU_Sooners75
5/22/2012, 10:40 PM
You're mistakenly dismissing the actual power of influence.

Not really. I just live in the reality that Texas does not solely control the Big 12.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/23/2012, 08:40 AM

I can tell you this, I live in central Illinois and I see a lot of longhorn gear here. A lot. That is serious branding and must make tejas a fortune.

No OU fans to speak of. People think I am from Ohio when I wear OU gear. Seriously.

OU_Sooners75
5/23/2012, 08:51 AM
I can tell you this, I live in central Illinois and I see a lot of longhorn gear here. A lot. That is serious branding and must make tejas a fortune.

No OU fans to speak of. People think I am from Ohio when I wear OU gear. Seriously.

No OU gear? So you are saying you don't have OU gear?

badger
5/23/2012, 09:32 AM

Got an OU hat to wear around my rural Wisconsin high school after I decided I was going there. They thought it was "Ohio University" too. That was even after the 2000 title. Ah well.

delhalew
5/23/2012, 10:21 AM

That's because every Mexican that enters through Tejas is issued a longhorn cap on their way across the river.

Texas will always have more money than God. If conference expansion musical chairs has taught me anything, it's even though money is the cornerstone of the whole thing, it has been proven that it's never the only thing.

Herr Scholz
5/23/2012, 11:27 AM
One thing about UT's supposed conference power that nobody seems to know: OU was the school supporting Dan Beebe as commish before he got hired. UT was supporting the current ND AD Jack Swarbrick. Just an FYI. We didn't get who we wanted there, you did.

badger
5/23/2012, 11:43 AM
Herr the whorn makes an appearance! Maybe that'll liven up this dead offseason, hehe. :mack:

Herr, what do you whorns think of adding Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson or anyone else rumored to get the Big 12 more teams in the near future?

Mississippi Sooner
5/23/2012, 11:53 AM

I live about 40 miles northeast of St. Louis, and I was actually surprised at the amount of OU stuff I see around here. It seems that in most cases, it's because people have kids that go to OU or want to go to OU, so I guess some folks in this part of Illinois have good sense.

OULenexaman
5/23/2012, 11:55 AM
One thing about UT's supposed conference power that nobody seems to know: OU was the school supporting Dan Beebe as commish before he got hired. UT was supporting the current ND AD Jack Swarbrick. Just an FYI. We didn't get who we wanted there, you did. I want proof of that damnit.......it just can't be. Linky link link?:grumpy:

badger
5/23/2012, 12:23 PM
I want proof of that damnit.......it just can't be. Linky link link?:grumpy:

I remember reading this somewhere, but it might have been a whorn board. So, no verification outta me.

However, if you google "Jack Swarbrick" and "Big 12" right now, you get this. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-23/sports/os-notre-dame-big-east-meetings-0524-20120523_1_big-east-mike-brey-notre-dame)

PONTE VEDRA BEACH – Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said while the Irish are aware of all other options, the school remains committed to the Big East.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds told CBSSports.com Tuesday he has reached out to Notre Dame repeatedly since 2010 about potentially moving its non-football sports from the Big East to the Big 12.

that's just the first two grafs. More domer nonsense on the linky.

Herr Scholz
5/23/2012, 01:28 PM
Herr, what do you whorns think of adding Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson or anyone else rumored to get the Big 12 more teams in the near future?
I like it. If there's a good chance of landing ND, I think we should take our time with this though. I'd hate to land Ga Tech or Louisville and then later find out we could've had ND.

Ideally I'd like to see FSU and Clemson join for next season and have ND join in non football until their tv contract runs out in 2015.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/23/2012, 01:31 PM
One thing about UT's supposed conference power that nobody seems to know: OU was the school supporting Dan Beebe as commish before he got hired. UT was supporting the current ND AD Jack Swarbrick. Just an FYI. We didn't get who we wanted there, you did.

While this may be true, it does not mean that Beebe did not eventually become UT's bitch.

soonerboomer93
5/23/2012, 07:00 PM
I like it. If there's a good chance of landing ND, I think we should take our time with this though. I'd hate to land Ga Tech or Louisville and then later find out we could've had ND.

Ideally I'd like to see FSU and Clemson join for next season and have ND join in non football until their tv contract runs out in 2015.

It might also be a move to make them **** or get off the pot. How long has the Big 10 been waiting for ND? Since they took Penn State, maybe longer. I understand the desire to have them, but then again how long do you put up with their ****?

85sooners
5/23/2012, 09:06 PM
Boom!

EatLeadCommie
5/24/2012, 01:23 AM
I think that FSU is posturing for some SEC love. The SEC would rather add FSU than spread Florida recruiting to both the BXII and the ACC (Miami). FSU has complained for years about their travel schedule within the ACC. It won't get better in the BXII, more money or not. Clemson has not been invited anywhere. They're just being mentioned for the BXII, but they'd rather hitch their horse to South Carolina, their old rival from the ACC that is now in the SEC. Notre Dame is still, IMO, a pipe dream. Not gonna happen.

This is just my opinion, based on absolutely nothing but following football and conferences (including the ACC) for a number of years. VT would make more sense to poach from the ACC, but they have the same thing going on with UVA that we have going on with OSU. Now that they are in the same conference as UVA, I don't see them escaping the ACC. If the BXII were to get an ACC school, Miami would make the most sense, and again, travel and other (academic) considerations make the ACC more comfortable for them.

I do think we are desperately trying to get a couple schools to make more sense for WVU, but FSU doesn't really fit that bill for them. Louisville does, even though I'm about as warm on UL as I was on WVU. ND would make sense too, but I think that's a pipe dream unless we provide serious concessions. UL, WVU, ISU, KU, KSU, and somebody else in a northern division. Pitt perhaps? Just speculation. I think they'd be much more happy in the ACC. Anything much further east than that doesn't make much sense so options are a bit limited.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/24/2012, 10:36 AM

Why not Miami? I just don't get this. Wouldn't you 'horns like to take shots at those peckers on a frequent basis? I mentioned it in the poll... the BigXII needs to get back a nationally relevant rivalry for TV marketing purposes, if nothing else. FSU-Clemson ain't it. FSU-Miami... oh yeah.

CORNholio
5/24/2012, 04:47 PM
Just say no to Louisville. They bring nothing. Never been anything more than an over-hyped flash in the pan. I remember when Fresno State was a hot team. Now what are they. That is louisville. We already added our small time program in TCU. Louisville is way worse. Add national historically significant teams or add nobody.

Herr Scholz
5/24/2012, 05:18 PM
Why not Miami? I just don't get this. Wouldn't you 'horns like to take shots at those peckers on a frequent basis? I mentioned it in the poll... the BigXII needs to get back a nationally relevant rivalry for TV marketing purposes, if nothing else. FSU-Clemson ain't it. FSU-Miami... oh yeah.
Well sure. But they said they didn't like the Big XII academics. Not sure if Miami's a real option. But if so, yeah.

8timechamps
5/24/2012, 05:24 PM
I think that FSU is posturing for some SEC love. The SEC would rather add FSU than spread Florida recruiting to both the BXII and the ACC (Miami). FSU has complained for years about their travel schedule within the ACC. It won't get better in the BXII, more money or not. Clemson has not been invited anywhere. They're just being mentioned for the BXII, but they'd rather hitch their horse to South Carolina, their old rival from the ACC that is now in the SEC. Notre Dame is still, IMO, a pipe dream. Not gonna happen.

This is just my opinion, based on absolutely nothing but following football and conferences (including the ACC) for a number of years. VT would make more sense to poach from the ACC, but they have the same thing going on with UVA that we have going on with OSU. Now that they are in the same conference as UVA, I don't see them escaping the ACC. If the BXII were to get an ACC school, Miami would make the most sense, and again, travel and other (academic) considerations make the ACC more comfortable for them.

I do think we are desperately trying to get a couple schools to make more sense for WVU, but FSU doesn't really fit that bill for them. Louisville does, even though I'm about as warm on UL as I was on WVU. ND would make sense too, but I think that's a pipe dream unless we provide serious concessions. UL, WVU, ISU, KU, KSU, and somebody else in a northern division. Pitt perhaps? Just speculation. I think they'd be much more happy in the ACC. Anything much further east than that doesn't make much sense so options are a bit limited.

No, no, no. The SEC wants nothing to do with FSU. I can't remember the entire story, but there was a falling out somewhere along the line. FSU and the SEC have both made it clear they want nothing to do with each other. You can probably Google it and find the details. If I can find it, I'll post it here. Seems like it had something to do with the U of F. Miami on the other hand, would probably be open to a jump to the SEC.

Edit: There was a story that ran last year (when the realignment has just heated up) about who the SEC would take, and FSU was never a consideration because the SEC already has a footprint in Florida and the U of F was opposed to it. Since it all has to do with money, the SEC couldn't find any reason to add FSU as it wouldn't increase conference revenue and end up costing them in the short-term. I wish I could remember where I saw it...but I'll keep looking.

swardboy
5/24/2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I think UF pretty put the kibosh on FSU getting an SEC invite.

While I don't think much of. say, a Louisville getting an invite, I do think it's true that a rising tide lifts all boats. I'll bet TCU, a very good team that drummed Boys State in their bowl, will really get a boost in recruiting by virtue of being a major conference team now. In fact, it makes me nervous. Being in the DFW metroplex doesn't hurt either now that they're in a big boys conference.

And I still think that U of S. Florida should be considered: Tampa, FL, big stadium, rabid fan base in a rising program.

IronHorseSooner
5/25/2012, 08:58 AM
Having live in a number of SEC states, you are right about the footprint issue. FLA will block FSU, Miami, and USF; UGA will block GA TECH; SCal will block Clemson; Kentucky will block Louisville; and A&M would block any other Texas school. I remember in Tampa that there was a sports talk guy discussing this very issue, and this is a big reason why the likes of FSU, Miami, GA TECH, and Louisville will never get an SEC invite, and why the Big XII makes so much more sense. Thus, I think, in the end, we end up with all 4 of them along with ND and possibly Maryland.

badger
5/25/2012, 09:04 AM
Thus, I think, in the end, we end up with all 4 of them along with ND and possibly Maryland.

Sooooo... do we axe our little guys, or are you saying that we're gonna be the Big 16 soon?

soonerboomer93
5/25/2012, 09:43 AM
No, no, no. The SEC wants nothing to do with FSU. I can't remember the entire story, but there was a falling out somewhere along the line. FSU and the SEC have both made it clear they want nothing to do with each other. You can probably Google it and find the details. If I can find it, I'll post it here. Seems like it had something to do with the U of F. Miami on the other hand, would probably be open to a jump to the SEC.

Edit: There was a story that ran last year (when the realignment has just heated up) about who the SEC would take, and FSU was never a consideration because the SEC already has a footprint in Florida and the U of F was opposed to it. Since it all has to do with money, the SEC couldn't find any reason to add FSU as it wouldn't increase conference revenue and end up costing them in the short-term. I wish I could remember where I saw it...but I'll keep looking.

The basic is that FSU was originally going to join the SEC, but then swerved and went ACC due to academics back in the 90's.

delhalew
5/25/2012, 11:18 AM
If you want scUM, then I feel like you are quite young, or your standards are way too low. Miami doesn't even draw flies anymore.

delhalew
5/25/2012, 11:19 AM
The basic is that FSU was originally going to join the SEC, but then swerved and went ACC due to academics back in the 90's.

Bobby Bowden has said many times he lobbied to be the big fish in a small pond. You can see how that worked in the long run.

8timechamps
5/25/2012, 04:15 PM
This is as close to a "confirmation" as I have seen:

Clemson does not have a viable offer to leave the Atlantic Coast Conference, but the university's Board of Trustees would consider one if it was presented, the panel's chairman said Thursday, according to a report by The Associated Press.

"We've not had any contact from any league," said board chairman David Wilkins. "If we receive a viable option, a viable proposal, that is presented to us by any league, we will consider it."

In the meantime, Wilkins said Clemson was not working on any proposal to join another conference, according to the report.

The Tigers could make more money from the Big 12's television deals than in the ACC, the report said, and the Big 12's formation of a new bowl game with the Southeastern Conference could also be an incentive if the NCAA introduces a four-team playoff format.

The board met for more than two hours behind closed doors, the AP reported.

So, Clemson has essentially let the ACC know that they have no loyalty and would openly consider a viable move. Given the current environment surrounding the ACC, this statements says quiet a bit.