PDA

View Full Version : So...How about the movie Battleship??? Yea or Nay???

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2012, 10:16 AM
Took a beating over the weekend. What is the premise anyway?

yermom
5/21/2012, 10:21 AM
i'm waiting for the Connect Four movie

hawaii 5-0
5/21/2012, 12:44 PM
Well, we had a Rockem Sockem Robots movie.

I'd see Candyland if it starred Kate Perry's boobies.

5-0

Pricetag
5/21/2012, 02:47 PM
She released that movie. It's called "California Gurlz."

8timechamps
5/21/2012, 03:10 PM
i'm waiting for the Connect Four movie

When they are looking for a reason to fire someone over the financial flop this movie will be....they need to find the guy that said "Hey, let's add the line "Based on the popular board game" to the previews!!!"

I played a lot of Battleship as a kid, but I must have played the basic version, because I don't ever remember thinking "This could so be an awesome movie!".

badger
5/21/2012, 03:49 PM
$25 mil... on a $200 mil-plus budget. Ouch.

I looked at Universal's 2012 lineup to see where they could make up such a shortfall, here goes:

- Safe House (co-production with Relativity Media) (February 10, 2012)

Made money. $85 mil budget, $200 mil-plus return.

- Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (co-production with Illumination Entertainment) (March 2, 2012)

BIG hit. $300 mil-plus return off just a $70 mil budget.

- American Reunion (April 6, 2012)

I guess they can still milk this franchise... only $50 mil budget and $215 mil return.

So anyways, they had a few hits earlier this year that they'll be able to make up the shortfall. Plus, apparently the foreign audience is easily entertained, as it apparently raked in more than $200 million when figuring in the international box office returns.

OULenexaman
5/22/2012, 11:24 AM
They made this movie based on a board game? How did they ever sell the script?

delhalew
5/22/2012, 01:39 PM
You couldn't pay me to watch that crap. If you want to see better movies in the future, you shouldn't either.

yermom
5/22/2012, 02:07 PM
You couldn't pay me to watch that crap. If you want to see better movies in the future, you shouldn't either.

:(

it's a losing battle.

Pricetag
5/22/2012, 02:24 PM
I played a lot of Battleship as a kid, but I must have played the basic version, because I don't ever remember thinking "This could so be an awesome movie!".
I'll never forget playing the game for the first time in first grade, and being bitterly dissapointed when the ships didn't "sink" down into the board. I don't know how I thought that was going to happen, but I fully expected it.

8timechamps
5/22/2012, 03:56 PM
I'll never forget playing the game for the first time in first grade, and being bitterly dissapointed when the ships didn't "sink" down into the board. I don't know how I thought that was going to happen, but I fully expected it.

HaHaHa.

I remember when my kids were young, I talked them into getting Electric Battleship, thinking it would be awesome...it was still the same game, just with really annoying sounds and lights. They got bored with it after the first time playing.

On a side note, I may or may not have watched the movie online. And it may or may not have been a little better than I was expecting. It may or may not have had some really good special effects.

soonerboomer93
5/23/2012, 05:01 PM
I've heard it's very much an little plot, blow **** up movie.

The problem is that it got curbed stomped by Avengers (like everything else but Batman will be this summer).

I went to see Avengers for a second time this weekend (gf hadn't seen it), first showing, Sunday morning. Theater was packed, we actually arrived a little late, and ended up way closer to the screen then I wanted.

In fact, Paramount just announced they're delaying opening the new G.I. Joe movie. Supposedly it's for 3d conversion, but some assume it's to avoid Avengers. http://www.imdb.com/news/ni28722190/

Boomer.....
5/24/2012, 07:24 AM
It wasn't bad. The acting is actually pretty good including Rihanna. It doesn't have much plot and is just a blow em up move like 93 said. It's not as good as the Transformer movies.

OULenexaman
5/24/2012, 10:21 AM
Rihanna is in it? Does she get her *** beat or something?

8timechamps
5/24/2012, 05:15 PM
It wasn't bad. The acting is actually pretty good including Rihanna. It doesn't have much plot and is just a blow em up move like 93 said. It's not as good as the Transformer movies.

Agreed. If you're into 'blow **** up' and cool special effects, then it's a good flick. Better than I was expecting.

I'm not a Rihanna fan, so I was expecting the worst. She isn't really a 'main character', so she doesn't do a ton of acting, but what she did wasn't half bad.

GDC
5/25/2012, 07:17 PM
I enjoyed it. It was a good Memorial Day weekend movie.

picasso
5/28/2012, 09:25 AM
Apparently Kevin Costner called director Peter Berg just before shooting and gave him some much needed tips on what to have and expect whilst filming on the water.

With that, I probably will never watch it.