PDA

View Full Version : GREG LAKE of ELP in Mesa AZ last wednesday

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/19/2012, 02:27 PM
I saw his solitary act performance last wednesday in Mesa AZ, and it was certainly memorable. Greg is the Lake of King Crimson and Emerson Lake and Palmer, and he was the lead singer for both groups. His show had a theme of his music autobiography, with him singing and playing guitar, and he had recorded background music to accompany him. He sang his main King Crimson songs, and all the big stuff of Emerson Lake and Palmer, and between songs, he told stories of his life as a high profile musician, how the 2 bands were formed, and personal anecdotes.

His voice is still strong, although not primo, as when he was young. Court of the Crimson King, Lucky Man, From the Beginning, Still you turn me on, Cest La Vie, a few others, and he sang a Beatles song and an Elvis song. He proclaimed those 2 acts as the Greatest, and I have to agree with him there, at least as far as popularity and portfolio.

About 2/3 the way through the show, he asked for questions and comments from the audience.(it was a theater with about 500 seat capacity) There were some folks who asked decent questions, but most were a waste of time. Greg had 2 guys working for him in the audience, handing portable microphones to those who asked the questions. One guy was black, and wore a wild, long hair style, with dreads, and some sort of a fabric or net in the hair(I don't remember just how it looked)After the Q&A session, he started his singing again, and finished the first song.

After the first song and the applause ended, the black guy came on stage, bringing Greg a new guitar, and Greg sys to the audience, "Folks, this is Andre"(I think that was his name) A guy from the audience then yells "GET A HAIRCUT"! Greg then plays the next song, and after the applause, he says: "For the guy who said get a haircut, GO F--K YOURSELF"!!!

His show seemed a little bit off(at least to me. Maybe I was imagining it), for the rest of the performance. I'm sure he will remember his Mesa gig, 2012.

cleller
5/19/2012, 02:47 PM
Court of the Crimson King. Pretty majestic stuff. Haven't heard mention of Lake in awhile. Glad he's still turning up in front of audiences.

What would you have liked to ask him?

pphilfran
5/19/2012, 02:55 PM
Oh, what a lucky man he was...

5/19/2012, 03:08 PM
Court of the Crimson King. Pretty majestic stuff. Haven't heard mention of Lake in awhile. Glad he's still turning up in front of audiences.

What would you have liked to ask him?I really didn't/don't have anyquestions. What would YOU have liked to ask him?

cleller
5/19/2012, 03:36 PM
I really didn't/don't have anyquestions. What would YOU have liked to ask him?

I would have asked him if he ever felt overlooked as a guitar and bass player while playing in two bands that were notable for their elaborate keyboards.

I hope I'd be able to phrase it more diplomatically. Its a compliment to his unselfishness.

5/19/2012, 03:57 PM
I would have asked him if he ever felt overlooked as a guitar and bass player while playing in two bands that were notable for their elaborate keyboards.

I hope I'd be able to phrase it more diplomatically. Its a compliment to his unselfishness.Good question, but I would guess it didn't bother him much, since he was the lead singer, and has a big and recognizable voice, and I'm sure the money has helped soothe any resentment he might have about keyboards envy.

cleller
5/19/2012, 09:50 PM
I really didn't/don't have anyquestions. What would YOU have liked to ask him?

Wait, I've got another. I'd ask him if he ever wakes up in the mornings and wonders if he is Greg Lake, or John Wetton? Then follow up with can he remember if he's Wetton subbing for Lake in King Crimson, or Lake subbing for Wetton in Asia?

5/20/2012, 01:41 AM
Wait, I've got another. I'd ask him if he ever wakes up in the mornings and wonders if he is Greg Lake, or John Wetton? Then follow up with can he remember if he's Wetton subbing for Lake in King Crimson, or Lake subbing for Wetton in Asia?He would have liked that question...

cleller
5/20/2012, 01:22 PM
Well thanks, I've now wasted lots of time the last two days looking at some King Crimson, Ian McDonald, John Wetton, etc, etc, videos on Youtube.

This thing with Steve Hackett, McDonald, and Wetton is pretty good. Although a little antiseptic. I think I like Chester Thompson on drums better than the original guy, Michael Giles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esV4zQT3C2w

One of the few times I don't really mind an original singer missing is Wetton doing Lake's KC tunes.

hawaii 5-0
5/20/2012, 09:25 PM
I always enjoyed Epitapth and I Talk To The Wind better than Court on that album.

Lake always sung with much emotion, and he had (has) a great voice.

I have a semi-recent video of ELP performing and Lake put on some serious weight.

I guess it goes with aging unless your name is Jagger.

Lucky Man for getting to see him.

5-0