PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Copenhagen Long Cut

SoonerBread
5/19/2012, 01:01 AM
After 20 years, I've finally stopped dipping. I started when I was 13, have been without it now for 10 weeks as of right today. I was using about a can and a half a day.

Anxiety was up, but I got over that. Blood pressure is way lower now. Mouth is healing. I feel better. Every once in a while, I get a massive craving. Other than that, I think it's behind me.

I had "quit" before, only to go back to using. It was always more of an extended break than anything else. This is the longest I've been without since before I first tried it. I never really understood what people meant when they said I'd never be able to quit for good until I did it for myself. They were right, as I had tried to kick it before because either one of my kids or my spouse or someone else thought it would be a good idea for me to quit. I don't know why, but I had an epiphany one morning to just stop doing it. And I haven't looked back since.

Not that anyone on this forum knows me personally, but I know there are some smokers and former-smokers and dippers and former-dippers who've all been in various stages of quitting or cutting back. I just wanted to share this for those of you who fall into that category: It can be done. There's no magic quitting device. Patches, gum, electronic cigs, pills; all that **** just prolongs the misery, and most people go back to using anyway. I tried the gum. Only made me want to do it more. I know of guys who've tried the electronic cigs - they do both now because they like the flavors of the electronic ones.

It's a mental problem, nicotine. If you can get past the initial 36 or so hours, and then the next 3 days, you're home free. The cravings are mental and psychological. If you can replace the craving with some other activity, you will eventually have the will power to ignore it. My addiction was a weakness. Now it helps motivate me to do things (anything) to put the cravings to bed. That has been the coolest affect of quitting.

If you recently quit or are trying to quit tobacco, much love and fight your *** off to quit. It's worth it. If someone you know is trying to quit or recently did, support them in any way they need. There's no better friend you can be to them than to deny them when they try to bum a dip or a smoke.

Boomer

olevetonahill
5/19/2012, 06:42 AM
Grats Bro

picasso
5/19/2012, 08:52 AM
Congrats man!

texaspokieokie
5/19/2012, 09:04 AM
Ditto !!!

reflector
5/19/2012, 09:24 AM
Congratulations!

rock on sooner
5/19/2012, 10:14 AM
Congrats! I'm told that your taste buds rejuvenate and food will taste
much better. Good onya, Mate...

Whet
5/19/2012, 10:35 AM
congratulations!

Boomer.....
5/19/2012, 11:37 AM
Awesome, congrats!

WA. Sooner
5/19/2012, 11:46 AM
The day we lost to BYU in Jerry World was the day I quit after 30+ years

kbsooner21
5/19/2012, 12:29 PM
Way to go!

SoonerBread
5/19/2012, 05:17 PM
Congrats! I'm told that your taste buds rejuvenate and food will taste
much better. Good onya, Mate...

This is true. Some stuff definitely tastes better, while other stuff now has a taste.

salth2o
5/19/2012, 10:12 PM
Congrats. I quit Cope 4 years ago. It wasnt easy, but well worth it.

There are still some day that I want a dip, but I don't cave.

8timechamps
5/19/2012, 10:25 PM
After 20 years, I've finally stopped dipping. I started when I was 13, have been without it now for 10 weeks as of right today. I was using about a can and a half a day.

Anxiety was up, but I got over that. Blood pressure is way lower now. Mouth is healing. I feel better. Every once in a while, I get a massive craving. Other than that, I think it's behind me.

I had "quit" before, only to go back to using. It was always more of an extended break than anything else. This is the longest I've been without since before I first tried it. I never really understood what people meant when they said I'd never be able to quit for good until I did it for myself. They were right, as I had tried to kick it before because either one of my kids or my spouse or someone else thought it would be a good idea for me to quit. I don't know why, but I had an epiphany one morning to just stop doing it. And I haven't looked back since.

Not that anyone on this forum knows me personally, but I know there are some smokers and former-smokers and dippers and former-dippers who've all been in various stages of quitting or cutting back. I just wanted to share this for those of you who fall into that category: It can be done. There's no magic quitting device. Patches, gum, electronic cigs, pills; all that **** just prolongs the misery, and most people go back to using anyway. I tried the gum. Only made me want to do it more. I know of guys who've tried the electronic cigs - they do both now because they like the flavors of the electronic ones.

It's a mental problem, nicotine. If you can get past the initial 36 or so hours, and then the next 3 days, you're home free. The cravings are mental and psychological. If you can replace the craving with some other activity, you will eventually have the will power to ignore it. My addiction was a weakness. Now it helps motivate me to do things (anything) to put the cravings to bed. That has been the coolest affect of quitting.

If you recently quit or are trying to quit tobacco, much love and fight your *** off to quit. It's worth it. If someone you know is trying to quit or recently did, support them in any way they need. There's no better friend you can be to them than to deny them when they try to bum a dip or a smoke.

Boomer

Awesome!

I'm a dipper (15+ years), and Copenhagen Long Cut is my drug of choice. This is very inspiring to me. I've recently really changed my eating habits, and feel 100% better, but I know the Cope is the next hurdle for me. I just bought 3 cans today, so that's kind of a bummer. But, I think this week is the week!

Much respect (even though I don't "know" you personally).

olevetonahill
5/19/2012, 11:23 PM
Awesome!

I'm a dipper (15+ years), and Copenhagen Long Cut is my drug of choice. This is very inspiring to me. I've recently really changed my eating habits, and feel 100% better, but I know the Cope is the next hurdle for me. I just bought 3 cans today, so that's kind of a bummer. But, I think this week is the week!

Much respect (even though I don't "know" you personally).

How much a can cost?

I quit smokin 6 weeks ago at 5 Bucks a Pack x2 Im a few bucks ahead

3rdgensooner
5/20/2012, 12:03 AM
Well done

Blue
5/20/2012, 01:56 AM
Good job bro! I'm on week 20 or 21 nicotine free(Jan 8th). No substitutes. I agree that nicotine is the problem but its not mental, it's physical. Get the drug out of your system (4-5 days) and then kick the **** outta the mental aspect.

Again, congrats. I know I don't miss it(2 packs a day the last 10 years. Smoking at least a pack for 17).

SoonerBread
5/20/2012, 03:11 AM
How much a can cost?

I quit smokin 6 weeks ago at 5 Bucks a Pack x2 Im a few bucks ahead

Depends, $4.30 at my smoke shop of choice, as much as $5.79 or so at a Wally World or QT. That's for Cope, which is the costliest of the snuffs. Cheaper stuff was less wallet-hating, but I also found myself dipping the you-know-what outta it because it didn't have the same kick. The exception seemed to be Longhorn, but I never could get used to the taste. Cope was my horse and I rode it, and at a can-and-a-half per day, I was buying two five-can rolls a week, at $21.50 a pop. Needless to say, there's some extra skrilla running around the old billfold now.

olevetonahill
5/20/2012, 03:20 AM
Depends, $4.30 at my smoke shop of choice, as much as $5.79 or so at a Wally World or QT. That's for Cope, which is the costliest of the snuffs. Cheaper stuff was less wallet-hating, but I also found myself dipping the you-know-what outta it because it didn't have the same kick. The exception seemed to be Longhorn, but I never could get used to the taste. Cope was my horse and I rode it, and at a can-and-a-half per day, I was buying two five-can rolls a week, at $21.50 a pop. Needless to say, there's some extra skrilla running around the old billfold now.

Good deal
Since I quit the smokes, I dont go to town every other day , I dont spend 20 bucks every other day to Buy the things. Plus I aint spendin any extra money on useless stuff That I would Buy just cause I was goin in the store

Oh and at 4 Bucks fer Gas I aint wasting it now either