PDA

View Full Version : GI Jane was just a movie

Wishboned
5/18/2012, 04:24 PM
No. Not just hell no. **** no.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/05/ap-army-leaders-mull-sending-women-ranger-school-051612/

WASHINGTON — Army leaders have begun to study the prospect of sending female soldiers to the service’s prestigious Ranger school — another step in the effort to broaden opportunities for women in the military.

Gen. Raymond Odierno, Army chief of staff, said Wednesday that he’s asked senior commanders to provide him with recommendations and a plan this summer. And while he stressed that no decisions have been made, he suggested that Ranger school may be a logical next step for women as they move into more jobs closer to the combat lines.

RELATED READING

Combat jobs open to female soldiers this week (May 15)

Women in combat: Army to open 14K jobs, 6 MOSs (May 2)

“If we determine that we’re going to allow women to go in the infantry and be successful, they are probably at some time going to have to go through Ranger school,” Odierno told reporters. “If we decide to do this, we want the women to be successful.”

According to Odierno, about 90 percent of senior Army infantry officers have gone to the school and are qualified as Rangers. Allowing women to go to Ranger school, he said, would allow them to be competitive with their male counterparts as they move through the ranks.

Going to Ranger school, however, does not automatically mean women would be allowed to serve in one of the Army’s three elite Ranger battalions, which are Army special operations forces. In fact, many male soldiers who wear the coveted Ranger tab on their uniforms never actually serve in one of the three battalions.

Currently, women are not allowed to serve as special operations, infantry or armor forces, which are considered the most dangerous combat jobs. They are, however, allowed to serve in a number of support jobs such as medics, military police and intelligence officers that are sometimes attached to combat brigade units.

Odierno said his commanders are looking at whether the Army should open up infantry and armor jobs to women, and how that should be done.

As of this week, 200 women reported to nine different battalions around the country, as the Army implements plans to formally allow women to serve in smaller units that are closer to the front lines. New Pentagon rules allowing women to serve at the battalion level — rather than just the larger brigade — were unveiled earlier this year, opening up about 14,000 more jobs for women across all the military services. There are currently more than 250,000 positions that are closed to women.

A brigade is roughly 3,500 troops split into several battalions of about 800 soldiers each. Historically, brigades were based farther from the front lines and they often include top command and support staff, while battalions are usually in closer contact with the enemy.

Women make up about 16 percent of the Army.

I Am Right
5/18/2012, 04:32 PM
Simple, Women in Combat, more people will die!

badger
5/18/2012, 04:33 PM
Well, A&M recently nearly imploded when a female candidate for Yell Leader was initially named to a runoff election after tons of national media picked up on the story... so meh :D

No offense to Army Rangers out there, but after watching documentaries on Ranger training compared with Special Ops, Marine Snipers and Navy SEALs, I was quite surprised at what Rangers had to do. I recall mud crawling, climbing on a jungle gym above water, and leading a group through the woods in the middle of the night. Based on what the documentary saw, and I realize that stuff can change and documentaries can be misleading, I totally think chicks could handle that type of training.

EDIT: So I went back and read the Army Ranger wikipedia just to make sure I didn't confuse it with some other military training documentaries I saw (maternity leave allows for lots of netflix) and it seems that I was mistaken on some of the things that I remember about the training. I think that it would take the absolute top female candidates to pass Ranger school.

yermom
5/18/2012, 04:51 PM
as long as they have the same criteria to pass, i don't see what the problem is

olevetonahill
5/18/2012, 04:58 PM
Wimmens should be encouraged at every point to be able to Make the best dayum sammich they can .
They need to stay the hell out of Combat rolls

Wishboned
5/18/2012, 05:05 PM
Wimmens should be encouraged at every point to be able to Make the best dayum sammich they can .
They need to stay the hell out of Combat rolls

Exactly. Their navigation course should be simple. Locate the fridge, and the pantry.

Could a woman make it through Ranger school? Yeah some could... probably. SHOULD a woman go to Ranger school? Never.

yermom
5/18/2012, 05:05 PM
combat rolls sound delicious

olevetonahill
5/18/2012, 05:11 PM
Exactly. Their navigation course should be simple. Locate the fridge, and the pantry.

Could a woman make it through Ranger school? Yeah some could... probably. SHOULD a woman go to Ranger school? Never.

1 out of a 100, might make it, If they dont water the training down

combat rolls sound delicious

Heh, Bite My roll :chuncky:

Wishboned
5/18/2012, 05:20 PM
1 out of a 100, might make it, If they dont water the training down

I'm hearing rumors that when, not if, women are allowed into the school that the first few through will not fail. No matter what it takes.

They will be lowering the standards.

cleller
5/18/2012, 05:21 PM
Second time I said this in 5 minutes:

You gotta draw the line somewhere.

olevetonahill
5/18/2012, 05:40 PM
I'm hearing rumors that when, not if, women are allowed into the school that the first few through will not fail. No matter what it takes.

They will be lowering the standards.
Then they gonna get some troops Killed down the line

8timechamps
5/18/2012, 09:23 PM
I owe my life to a female Blackhawk pilot. As far as I'm concerned, if they can handle the same training as men....let 'em fight.

Wishboned
5/18/2012, 10:39 PM
One of my biggest problems with this is the fact that they're not going to the school so they can serve in a Ranger battalion. They're going so it looks good when it comes promotion time.

I went through Ranger school. It was the toughest thing I've ever done. Because I served during a period of relative peace in the world it ended up being the biggest hell other than my marriage that I've ever experienced.

8timechamps
5/19/2012, 11:20 PM
I went through Ranger school. It was the toughest thing I've ever done. Because I served during a period of relative peace in the world it ended up being the biggest hell other than my marriage that I've ever experienced.

You have no idea how much I can relate to both of those things. Not Ranger school, but MCFRTS and then a marriage. I suspect they were fairly similar to yours. :D

rock on sooner
5/20/2012, 09:14 AM
I owe my life to a female Blackhawk pilot. As far as I'm concerned, if they can handle the same training as men....let 'em fight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

proud gonzo
5/20/2012, 12:41 PM
One of my biggest problems with this is the fact that they're not going to the school so they can serve in a Ranger battalion. They're going so it looks good when it comes promotion time.

I've heard that cited as one of the reasons why they're thinking of allowing women to have combat roles, but it is unfair to make an assumption about why these women would be interested in Ranger school. You have no reason to presume their motivation would be any different than a man's. And at the same time, what makes you think that's not why some men go to Ranger school?

IMO, if they can pass, let them.

I Am Right
5/20/2012, 09:04 PM
as long as they have the same criteria to pass, i don't see what the problem is

Not the same criteria, women and men in combat are never the same.

I Am Right
5/20/2012, 09:05 PM
Female pilots, great, female commanders, great, Female Ground pounders, not so great.

Wishboned
5/20/2012, 09:23 PM
My main concern is that this will lead to a lowering of the standards, or a different set of standards for the women. If the women can can pass doing the same things that the men can then great.

olevetonahill
5/20/2012, 09:59 PM
Let em go ahead an join, Right after they make us all sammich's

Okieflyer
5/21/2012, 11:40 AM

Yeah, like the article said "another step in the effort to broaden opportunities for women in the military". Not to win wars or do what's best, but to broaden opportunities.

rock on sooner
5/21/2012, 12:48 PM
Let em go ahead an join, Right after they make us all sammich's

Well Vet, that might improve the army chow...

Curly Bill
5/21/2012, 12:56 PM
PC has affected the military just as it has much of the rest of society, even moreso in some instances.

SoonerAtKU
5/21/2012, 02:08 PM
I've heard that cited as one of the reasons why they're thinking of allowing women to have combat roles, but it is unfair to make an assumption about why these women would be interested in Ranger school. You have no reason to presume their motivation would be any different than a man's. And at the same time, what makes you think that's not why some men go to Ranger school?

IMO, if they can pass, let them.

Well, the article does say that it wouldn't mean that women would be allowed to actually serve as Rangers, merely to pass the course and qualify. That, by definition, is separate from a desire to engage in combat as a Ranger. Now, some of them may be hoping that the rules might change in the future and having the qualification may then get them priority access, but as of now, that's not an option.

With that said, I'm sure a great number of male candidates undertake the training for career purposes rather than to fight as a Ranger, so if you can do it without lowering standards, I'm for it.