PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 vs SEC to Open 2014 Season

Sabanball
5/17/2012, 05:48 PM
Just announced.....West Virginia vs. Alabama in the Chik -Fil-A Kickoff Game @Georgia Dome in 2014

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051712aaa.html

SoonerNomad
5/17/2012, 06:41 PM
The promoters of that game love getting Alabama to play and Alabama should receive credit for agreeing to play in a game like that almost every year. LSU too.

And of course, West Virginia agreeing to open against Bama is impressive. I always like teams that like to see how good they are early in the year against quality competition.

I look forward to those type of games every year. I am fired up about Alabama v. Michigan in Dallas this fall. Intersectional matchups are almost always good.

Widescreen
5/17/2012, 08:16 PM
Win and it's a feather in your cap. Lose and you have time to make up for it. Although with the new playoff format, hopefully the whole "lose late and it kills you" thing will be history.

Mazeppa
5/17/2012, 08:19 PM
How did Jerry Jones miss out on this one?

Sabanball
5/17/2012, 08:22 PM
Home/home series, especially between heavyweight programs, are going away.

Two basic reasons that we've started playing in these games--recruiting and $$. Contrary to popular belief, schools don't make money on ooc h/h series. We will make as much money, if not more, going to the Jerry Dome in Sept to play Michigan as we would at a regular home game at BDS. Second--in the last four recruiting classes, we've signed 20 players from the state of Georgia--We opened both the 2008 and 2009 seasons there in this game and will also now open 2013(Va Tech) and 2014(West VA). These both obviously correlate with one another. Playing on opening night in the Metroplex this coming Sept 1 can only help us with future, potential Texas recruits.

I think you'll see more games like this all the way around. I'd just like to know how many schools said "no thanks" before the Mountaineers agreed to play us...;-)

jkjsooner
5/21/2012, 05:19 PM
Two basic reasons that we've started playing in these games--recruiting and $$. Contrary to popular belief, schools don't make money on ooc h/h series. We will make as much money, if not more, going to the Jerry Dome in Sept to play Michigan as we would at a regular home game at BDS.

I'd hate to see too many home games get lost. Whether or not they are a bonus for the schools, they do have a positive impact on the local businesses. That's not to mention the long term benefits to the program by having a good number of games that the locals and students can attend.

Now, someone kick me in the nuts for sounding like EZ Million.

Sabanball
5/21/2012, 06:47 PM
I'd hate to see too many home games get lost. Whether or not they are a bonus for the schools, they do have a positive impact on the local businesses. That's not to mention the long term benefits to the program by having a good number of games that the locals and students can attend.

Now, someone kick me in the nuts for sounding like EZ Million.

We will still have 7 home games this year.

MichiganSooner
5/21/2012, 06:51 PM
A few years ago, a Big 12 vs. SEC opener. Boone State vs. Georgia. yawn. Actually, the OSU center hiking the ball over his punter's head on the first series was pretty funny.

agoo758
5/21/2012, 07:15 PM
Just announced.....West Virginia vs. Alabama in the Chik -Fil-A Kickoff Game @Georgia Dome in 2014

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051712aaa.html

Now we have to get you guys to stop playing Georgia Southern in November.

Sabanball
5/23/2012, 06:43 PM
Now we have to get you guys to stop playing Georgia Southern in November.

Only if you guys give up games against UTEP and Florida AM...

Fraggle145
5/23/2012, 06:54 PM
Only if you guys give up games against UTEP and Florida AM... Way to pick one year out of a more than a decade of tougher OOC scheduling...

Sabanball
5/25/2012, 07:12 PM
Way to pick one year out of a more than a decade of tougher OOC scheduling...

No need to make a straw man argument--I've never claimed that our OOC sched was tougher every year the past decade than the Sooners, but I think we've shown over time that we're not afraid to play anybody(take, for example, our H/H back when we were on probation and you guys were in the ascendancy back in 2002-2003--we never tried to buy our way out of that series even though there was a HUGE talent level disparity at the time between our two programs) However, since Saban arrived in 2007, we've scheduled at least one, OOC high profile opponent every year, and we are continuing to do that. BTW, our record is pretty good in those games:

2007 FSU(FSU vacated win)
2008 Clemson(Bama win)
2009 Va Tech(Bama win)
2010 Penn State(Bama win)
2011 Penn State(Bama win)

Given that we are scheduled to play Michigan, Va Tech, and West Va over the next three seasons, I hardly see how any reasonably-minded person can say that Bama is trying to play an all-cream puff OOC schedule.

Fraggle145
5/25/2012, 08:34 PM
No need to make a straw man argument--I've never claimed that our OOC sched was tougher every year the past decade than the Sooners, but I think we've shown over time that we're not afraid to play anybody(take, for example, our H/H back when we were on probation and you guys were in the ascendancy back in 2002-2003--we never tried to buy our way out of that series even though there was a HUGE talent level disparity at the time between our two programs) However, since Saban arrived in 2007, we've scheduled at least one, OOC high profile opponent every year, and we are continuing to do that. BTW, our record is pretty good in those games:

2007 FSU(FSU vacated win)
2008 Clemson(Bama win)
2009 Va Tech(Bama win)
2010 Penn State(Bama win)
2011 Penn State(Bama win)

Given that we are scheduled to play Michigan, Va Tech, and West Va over the next three seasons, I hardly see how any reasonably-minded person can say that Bama is trying to play an all-cream puff OOC schedule.

Wasnt saying that (although it is rampant in the SEC, especially All-Barn). Was just saying you sort of cherry picked this year when we havent played a DII opponent in years. And when we do its usually because some little ****** team screwed us over or our conference tried to kill itself.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/25/2012, 08:44 PM
Now we have to get you guys to stop playing Georgia Southern in November.This is a bammer board. You aren't supposed to talk about stuff like that.