PDA

View Full Version : TOP 500 ALBUMS all-time since early rock-n-roll days

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/17/2012, 03:46 PM
This from the Rolling Stone Magazine. If it's been posted before, cest la vie!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-19691231

C&CDean
5/17/2012, 05:54 PM
I just looked at 1-10 on that list and it tells me all I need to know. The list is crap. Complete and utter crap. The Cure album over anything Zeppelin/Floyd? Marvin "I heard it through the carbine" Gaye? Really? Bob Dylan? Twice? WTF? No problem with The Beatles, and even The Stones, but c'mon people.

5/17/2012, 07:21 PM
I just looked at 1-10 on that list and it tells me all I need to know. The list is crap. Complete and utter crap. The Cure album over anything Zeppelin/Floyd? Marvin "I heard it through the carbine" Gaye? Really? Bob Dylan? Twice? WTF? No problem with The Beatles, and even The Stones, but c'mon people.Agreed. This is NOT anywhere near concurrence with my taste, either. I didn't see any Yes or Moody Blues. Dylan wrote a lot of great music, but the dude can't sing. The covers of his songs are always better, IMHO.

cleller
5/18/2012, 07:49 AM
The Velvet Underground and Nico at #13 greatest. Bet they didn't even listen to it, just put it there for the Andy Warhol cover art. Better than any Zeppelin album? Rolling Stone has always taken style over substance.

There's a reason you've never heard a Velvet Underground song on the radio. The Partridge Family could have blown them off the stage.

Position Limit
5/18/2012, 09:54 AM
The Velvet Underground and Nico at #13 greatest. Bet they didn't even listen to it, just put it there for the Andy Warhol cover art. Better than any Zeppelin album? Rolling Stone has always taken style over substance.

There's a reason you've never heard a Velvet Underground song on the radio. The Partridge Family could have blown them off the stage.

while zeppelin were rock gods, all they did was take blues songs and put a metal sound to them. talented yes. short on creativity though. velvet underground were mos def original and very good but they had no need to put nico in that group. most people dont agree with list with names they've never listened to. that's on you for living in the commercial radio box. the grateful dead jammed for 30 years and thousands of shows but never got on the radio much. and they had enough talent to be near the top of most lists. speaking of lists, why does comparative list by media, be it rock bands or college football teams, always sell ad space. will it ever get old?

cleller
5/18/2012, 10:42 AM
while zeppelin were rock gods, all they did was take blues songs and put a metal sound to them. talented yes. short on creativity though. velvet underground were mos def original and very good but they had no need to put nico in that group. most people dont agree with list with names they've never listened to. that's on you for living in the commercial radio box. the grateful dead jammed for 30 years and thousands of shows but never got on the radio much. and they had enough talent to be near the top of most lists. speaking of lists, why does comparative list by media, be it rock bands or college football teams, always sell ad space. will it ever get old?

Lets say you'd never heard a Velvet Underground or Led Zeppelin album. You are then handed a couple albums from each. How many times would those Velvet Underground records get played again? I guess that's where Rolling Stone writers and brass differ from the 99%. They are the true 1 percenters trying to run our lives.

Most of what I listen to would never be played on the radio, the analogy with Velvet Underground was just to underscore their lack of musical ability. Syd Barrett was much better at weird art music. How about Buddy Guy? There's some talent.

C&CDean
5/18/2012, 10:55 AM

That isn't "all" Zeppelin did. Sheez. And I'm a huge Lou Reed fan, but nothing from the VU deserves that lofty of a rating. I'd take his R&R Animal album over anything he did with VU. Yeah, there's a couple VU songs on the album, but it's a much better product than anything VU.

Finally, the Grateful Dead pretty much sucked. Sure they had their following of eclectic hippy weirdos, and Garcia penned a few memorable tunes, but they never tripped my trigger. Kinda like the Stones. Meh to me - although I appreciate they deserve very high ratings on many of their albums.

I'm with you on the commercial radio box thing. Most of the music I liked growing up you never heard on the radio. Oh maybe a song or two from Grand Funk, or Bowie, or Foghat, but never anything from bands like the Dixie Dregs or early Pink Floyd.

Position Limit
5/18/2012, 10:57 AM
Lets say you'd never heard a Velvet Underground or Led Zeppelin album. You are then handed a couple albums from each. How many times would those Velvet Underground records get played again? To me, that's how you pick a better album.

Most of what I listen to would never be played on the radio, the analogy with Velvet Underground was just to underscore their lack of musical ability. How about Buddy Guy? There's some talent.

i'll see your buddy guy and raise you a duane allman. i do miss living in chicago and hitting up guy's legends on the often. yes zeppelin would be played more. blues is just too familiar not to natuarlly to select it. but i've listened to and own enough underground and a sundry of lou reed to understand why it could make some lists. i also belive the music business and radio along with access to anything other than main stream has been a major disservice to consumers over the last 40 years (my lifetime). thank god for internet radio.

OULenexaman
5/18/2012, 11:04 AM
I opened link.....I see Tres Hombres at 498.....shake head...close link.

Position Limit
5/18/2012, 11:10 AM
Finally, the Grateful Dead pretty much sucked. Sure they had their following of eclectic hippy weirdos, and Garcia penned a few memorable tunes, but they never tripped my trigger. I'm with you on the commercial radio box thing. Most of the music I liked growing up you never heard on the radio. Oh maybe a song or two from Grand Funk, or Bowie, or Foghat, but never anything from bands like the Dixie Dregs or early Pink Floyd.

you couldnt be more wrong about the grateful dead. you heard kc jones and truckin on the radio a million times and saw some old hippie videos. it seems you have decent taste in music. i suggest you get involved in any dead show from '71-'73, '77-'83, or '89-'94.

OULenexaman
5/18/2012, 11:15 AM
I never got the whole dead head stuff......and didn't like LSD either.

C&CDean
5/18/2012, 11:23 AM
you couldnt be more wrong about the grateful dead. you heard kc jones and truckin on the radio a million times and saw some old hippie videos. it seems you have decent taste in music. i suggest you get involved in any dead show from '71-'73, '77-'83, or '89-'94.

I used to hang out at a place called the Bum Steer in Tucson. They played pretty much nothing but Dead stuff. It all sounded the same to me. Basic chords, feel good slappy happy hippy stuff. The hairy-pitted dikey chicks were also a big turn off. My tastes were more hard-edged. Even today, I like blues, but not old blues. I like harder stuff like Walter Trout, Tommy Castro, Jonny Lang, Robben Ford, Joe Bonamassa, etc.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
5/18/2012, 11:24 AM
but never anything from bands like the Dixie Dregs or early Pink Floyd.

You are one of few who have even heard of this monstrously talented band! I got to see them at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa around 83 or so! They were unbelievable!!! Steve Morse is a guitar god!!!

Lott's Bandana
5/18/2012, 12:31 PM
Brittany Spears was one of the deciders.

There's a reason I haven't picked up a Rolling Stone since 1979.

Or rather, many reasons.

OULenexaman
5/18/2012, 12:43 PM
same here...

rock on sooner
5/18/2012, 02:13 PM
Only two Sinatra, one Temptation, one Smokey Robinson, one Loretta Lynn,
two Elvis....huh? There were so many great Motown groups, country artists,
instrumentalists, Best of albums, etc. that wasn't on this list (yes, I looked at
all 500 titles). There were a lot of "druggies" on the list so I'm guessing that
the Rolling Stone people were "stoned" when they put this list together.

cleller
5/18/2012, 02:29 PM
i'll see your buddy guy and raise you a duane allman. i do miss living in chicago and hitting up guy's legends on the often. yes zeppelin would be played more. blues is just too familiar not to natuarlly to select it. but i've listened to and own enough underground and a sundry of lou reed to understand why it could make some lists. i also belive the music business and radio along with access to anything other than main stream has been a major disservice to consumers over the last 40 years (my lifetime). thank god for internet radio.

I do like the Allmans, but will stick with Buddy's ripping and tearing over the slide. I can take Lou Reed better than the Underground stuff, which is odd.

Radio is definitely useless, unless you want to hear Boston and Fleetwood Mac over and over all day.
I do still listen to Ronnie Kay on KOMA for old time's sake. Youtube, Rhapsody and Spotify are great resources.

cleller
5/18/2012, 02:34 PM
You are one of few who have even heard of this monstrously talented band! I got to see them at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa around 83 or so! They were unbelievable!!! Steve Morse is a guitar god!!!

On a side note, Steve Morse did some guitar work on a 1983 album called Art In America, for a band with the same name. It was produced by Eddie Offord, and sounds alot like Yes. Several tracks are available at Youtube, I think.

cccasooner2
5/18/2012, 02:47 PM
What a shocker!
Differing opinions on music.
Linda Ronstadt was soooo cute but Jerry Brown never effed her, or so she told me (not really).

hawaii 5-0
5/18/2012, 02:57 PM
The Dead always struggled with studio albums.

They were a live band. They worked on songs during shows and when they had what they wanted they went into the studio and recorded it. Sometimes years after they had been playing the songs live. Trouble is, even in the studio they couldn't quite get it right.

It took me two times to see them live to 'get it'. Some people never did.

Anyone who didn't 'get' The Band and their music probably wouldn't 'get' the Dead either. Both American Beauty and Workingman's Dead capture Americana very well.

Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel are still two of my favorites.

I'll take 'Help On The Way' off of Blues For Allah any day. "Without love in a dream it will never come true."

Tho lots of groups tried to fill the Dead Void, none really succeeded.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
5/18/2012, 03:00 PM
I would have put Who's Next in my Top 10.

5-0

5/18/2012, 03:32 PM
I would have put Who's Next in my Top 10.

5-0Baba O'Riley(sp?) and We Won't get fooled Again, add Behind Blue Eyes. The first 2 are R&R classics, and what would the CSI shows on tv do without the Who?

hawaii 5-0
5/18/2012, 03:49 PM
Baba O'Riley(sp?) and We Won't get fooled Again, add Behind Blue Eyes. The first 2 are R&R classics, and what would the CSI shows on tv do without the Who?

Song after song it's just a good solid album. I never get tired of listening to it.

I would have enjoyed listening to Lifehouse as Townsend imagined it.

It took awhile to realize there were other songs that shoulda been on the album but weren't. Free and Easy for one example.

5-0

C&CDean
5/18/2012, 05:03 PM
Entwhistle was a hell of a bassist. Hella one.

5/18/2012, 05:22 PM
Song after song it's just a good solid album. I never get tired of listening to it.

I would have enjoyed listening to Lifehouse as Townsend imagined it.

It took awhile to realize there were other songs that shoulda been on the album but weren't. Free and Easy for one example.

5-0good to know IT'S POSSIBLE for us to agree on something!

hawaii 5-0
5/18/2012, 06:35 PM
good to know IT'S POSSIBLE for us to agree on something!

You f***ers really think you know me.

Most of you are clueless.

Often I'm just an advocate for the Devil.

....but not always.

It's fun to keep y'all guessin'.

5-0

5/19/2012, 01:54 AM
You f***ers really think you know me.

Most of you are clueless.

Often I'm just an advocate for the Devil.

....but not always.

It's fun to keep y'all guessin'.

5-0you're welcome