PDA

View Full Version : Cody Thomas

Ruf/Nek7
5/17/2012, 10:06 AM
It appears as though OU has got their QB for the 2013 Recruiting class. I do not know how many of you have subscriptions to soonerscoop.com but it is on their front page.

Heupel cancelled his trip to California to evaluate QB prospect Hayden Rettig which says that something has obviously gone down with OU's only QB offer, Cody Thomas.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2012, 11:24 AM
from twitter co publisher of SoonerScoop:

@JLMcCuistion

For those wondering, & quite viciously calling me a tease (ha), yes #OU's commit is their lone QB offer 4-star Cody Thomas of Colleyville.

Ruf/Nek7
5/17/2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks Colley...since you live in the same city, what do you know about this kid? I know he is a tremendous athlete being a dual sport star but what about his abilities as a QB? Im sure you will be attending many of his games this next fall so please kepe us dated.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2012, 11:40 AM
ha, that's funny.

I don't actually live in Colleyville anymore, moved about 25 mins away. And with my two little kids, won't be making it to many high school football games!

Ruf/Nek7
5/17/2012, 12:13 PM
Oh my apologies. Well, if he plays a game out towards Ft. Worth, I might go take a look at him.

cccasooner2
5/17/2012, 12:19 PM
Z5_s9-08Mzg

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=11843&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fncfrecruiting%2fon-the-trail%2fpost%3fid%3d11843

OU_Sooners75
5/17/2012, 12:29 PM
Meh.....

I really hope this kid keeps his commitment, because it will be very hard for him to turn down the MLB money that is about to come his way!

Hope OU hasn't wasted their time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/17/2012, 01:29 PM
SCOUT profile: http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=6106780

WOW, lookit all the offers!

Here's the RIVALS: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Cody-Thomas-128718;_ylt=Al.I5AiqQZtStQiRxe.oNNlIPZB4

OU_Sooners75
5/17/2012, 01:37 PM
SCOUT profile: http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=6106780

WOW, lookit all the offers!

The kid may be better than Max Browne. But that is just speculative. USC did offer him a few days before Browne committed to them.

The guy has a big arm and is very athletic in the pocket. My only worry is will he go get the money of the Major Leagues or go to college? If he goes to college, is he going to only concentrate on football or is he wanting to play baseball?

Herr Scholz
5/17/2012, 03:11 PM
Great get. Really good QB prospect.

Sabanball
5/19/2012, 08:44 PM
Does this mean that you guys will pass on Brayden Scott? Supposedly he just accepted an invite to camp with us this summer....

badbrad2582
5/20/2012, 03:03 PM
Sounds that way. Scott not a good fit for OU I don't think.

Seamus
5/20/2012, 09:23 PM

What are we basing this theory on?

OU_Sooners75
5/21/2012, 10:02 AM

If Scott was not a good fit for OU, the coaches wouldn't have been after him in the first place.

badbrad2582
5/21/2012, 07:26 PM

What are we basing this theory on?

Just my opinion, Good player Though

OU_Sooners75
5/21/2012, 08:15 PM
Just my opinion, Good player Though

In your opinion, please tell us why you think he isn't a good fit for OU?

Please do tell!

8timechamps
5/24/2012, 04:43 PM
Watched an interview with Thomas today, and it sounds like he is pretty set on playing football and baseball for the Sooners. I'm sure he'll get a lot of pressure between now and next summer (and probably even be drafted by a MLB team). Interestingly, I also read an interview with Brandon Jones (the last football player to also play baseball while at OU).

Here's a snippet from the interview:

Jones: That was really tough. Really tough. OU football, they’re hard. Nobody works harder in the world than OU football. So that made it hard. You get your outcome of the season in the offseason. That’s how you know your season is going to turn out. The workouts in football were hard. So I was having to deal with football workouts, then play baseball. It will probably be easier for (Thomas). I hope it’s easier. I had a rotten apple in my ear. Bob Stoops was cool with me playing baseball. He said, as long as you’re out there playing, I’m fine with it. But if you’re sitting the bench you might as well be here working out. But (a former OU assistant coach), he made it real rough on me. He was in my ear telling me, 'Brandon you’re going to lose your position if you keep playing baseball,' that type of that stuff. If I missed a workout, he would act like that was not an excuse -- and we’d be playing a series in Arizona. I guess that was understandable back then. We were stacked at the wide receiver position. So I guess it made sense to weed somebody out.

The pieces that are in bold surprised me a little bit. I remember when Brandon was recruited and signed, and one of the reasons he signed was because he was told he could play both football and baseball. To think there was a coach in his ear making it hard on him is kinda sad. I know that football is always competing with baseball (for athletes) in high school, but most coaches realize that some kids have the ability to play both at a high level. You'd think that would've been the case with Jones.

As Jones himself said, I don't think that goes on (at OU anyway) anymore, so Thomas shouldn't have that to deal with. Just found the whole thing interesting.