PDA

View Full Version : Remember HB 1017?

cleller
5/17/2012, 07:43 AM
I was reading this story, about Tulsa parents trying to raise money to pay the salary of a teacher, and it got me thinking about HB 1017.
http://www.newson6.com/story/18441126/tulsa-parents-raise-money-to-pay-endangered-teachers-salary

Didn't realize it had been over 20 years since this bill was passed. Seems to me at the time it was billed as the end-all that would fund Oklahoma education, and make us proud forever. Was hugely lobbied for by lots of different groups.

Once it passed nothing seemed to change, education wise, and it quickly faded from memory. Was is just a pig eating the poke salad?

olevetonahill
5/17/2012, 07:48 AM
Hell the Lottery was supposed to Cure all the financial ills of the schools

Curly Bill
5/17/2012, 07:52 AM
Anybody that really believed that was and is an idjit!

olevetonahill
5/17/2012, 07:55 AM

:chuncky:

badger
5/17/2012, 08:10 AM
The problem was that the legislature didn't use it as extra gravy for education funds. The legislature was like "The lottery will make up the shortfall!" when they cut funding to education repeatedly.

Now granted, education gets (i think) the majority of state funds as-is, so when there's a shortfall, there's going to be a cut to education funding. It's like the tax cut argument on why rich people get more tax cuts than the poors, same concept. Pay more in, get more cuts. Receive more funds, get more cuts.

There are other things that limit the lottery as well. Revenues, by law, must fund other things besides education, namely prize money. I think it also takes care of some gambling addiction programs as well.

soonercruiser
5/17/2012, 10:06 PM

:chuncky: :chuncky:

...a majority of Oklahomans????