PDA

View Full Version : "One of the top ten.."

SoonerNomad
5/14/2012, 11:23 AM
I will admit up front that I am not being objective on any level, but announcing the extension of the Red River Shootout by saying OU/Texas is "one of the top 10 rivalries in college football" seems extremely weak to me Mr. Dallas Mayor.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/05/12/texas.oklahoma.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a9

I have been to a Final Four (1986), to a Super Bowl (2000) and to a Florida/FSU game in Tallahassee (2000) and NOTHING compares to OU/Texas. I have only been lucky enough to go three times ('02, '04 and '06) but the atmostphere, the pageantry, the passion and the football are second to none. I am still not over the tie in 1984. I will never forget Roy Williams flying through the air to hit Chris Simms. Adrian Peterson's freshman dominance in the rain. 63-14. Having to sing the Eyes of Texas in a Wichita Falls bar because of Earl Campbell in 1978. It's the greatest rivalry and has been for a long time.

Even if you don't agree with that, OU/Texas does not fall out of anyone's top 3. Maybe Ohio State/Michigan. Maybe USC/Notre Dame. I don't think so.

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2012, 11:45 AM
if this is the worst thing that happens to you today - consider it a REALLY good day

49r
5/14/2012, 11:46 AM
In no particular order:

Ohio State - Michigan
Michigan - Notre Dame
Notre Dame - USC
Army - Navy
Auburn - Alabama
Oklahoma - Texas
Texas - A&M
Cal - Stanford
Florida - Georgia
Florida State - Miami

I don't think you can actually rank those, they're all terribly intense and important rivalries for a variety or reasons. There are others that I didn't list that could arguably replace any of those in a top ten.

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2012, 11:47 AM
Rawlings lettered in football at Boston College - take that into consideration before you lose any sleep over this! :)

rock on sooner
5/14/2012, 01:35 PM
OU-TX
Army-Navy
Auburn-Alabama
Michigan-Ohio State

In that order, IMO, all the others tie for fourth.

KantoSooner
5/14/2012, 01:40 PM
Notre Dame is not now part of any important rivalry. If you have not been a factor in college football for 15 plus years and aren't, right now, a heavy favorite to take the whole ball of wax, you are an irrelevant team.
And irrelevant teams can't be part of important rivalries.

alternatively, let's get into a lather about that annual set to between the Crimson and the Elis. Big, big game.....about 100 years ago. Just like ND.

JLEW1818
5/14/2012, 02:34 PM
In no particular order:

Ohio State - Michiganhas not mattered until last year
Michigan - Notre Dame means nothing
Notre Dame - USC means nothing
Army - Navy means nothing
Auburn - Alabama good
Oklahoma - Texas cept the last 2 years, always matters
Texas - A&M never matters
Cal - Stanfordnever matters
Florida - Georgia good, but has not mattered
Florida State - Miami does not matter

I don't think you can actually rank those, they're all terribly intense and important rivalries for a variety or reasons. There are others that I didn't list that could arguably replace any of those in a top ten.

done.

Mississippi Sooner
5/14/2012, 02:40 PM
Notre Dame is not now part of any important rivalry. If you have not been a factor in college football for 15 plus years and aren't, right now, a heavy favorite to take the whole ball of wax, you are an irrelevant team.
And irrelevant teams can't be part of important rivalries.

alternatively, let's get into a lather about that annual set to between the Crimson and the Elis. Big, big game.....about 100 years ago. Just like ND.

On that note, I just watched that documentary on ESPN Classic again this weekend called Harvard Beats Yale 29 - 29. Even though the game took place in 1968, and even though it didn't really mean anything in the overall scheme of things, that may still be the most incredible finish to a football game that I've ever seen on any level. It shouldn't be possible to come back from 16 points down with less than a minute to go, but Harvard did it.

And who would have thought that Tommy Lee Jones was a guard on that Harvard team?

KantoSooner
5/14/2012, 02:58 PM
I thought Tommy Lee went to Yale and roomed with Al Gore. Better acting school, Yale.

Widescreen
5/14/2012, 03:02 PM
In no particular order:

Ohio State - Michigan
Michigan - Notre Dame
Notre Dame - USC
Army - Navy
Auburn - Alabama
Oklahoma - Texas
Texas - A&M (no longer played)
Cal - Stanford
Florida - Georgia
Florida State - Miami

You can remove one from the list.

LASooner
5/14/2012, 04:13 PM
Army/Navy is more about the pregame and postgame than the actual game. The quality of football has been pretty bad for a long time in that game. And I say that as an Army veteran. Boooooooring.

MamaMia
5/14/2012, 04:30 PM
Anyone who doesn't think the OU/TX game is at the very least, in the top 5, has never been. Period.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KjJAXURxxYU&feature=fvwp

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=rIh9xrggqqQ

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pnROseOOg

4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WATge1Ui6Zw&feature=related

LASooner
5/14/2012, 04:59 PM
You forgot one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=599hDYzvaKQ

MamaMia
5/14/2012, 06:18 PM
Thats a great one!!! Only 150 days left folks!!! :)

BajaOklahoma
5/14/2012, 06:29 PM
You are talking about the Mayor of Dallas. They aren't known for being smart.

8timechamps
5/14/2012, 08:56 PM
Army/Navy is more about the pregame and postgame than the actual game. The quality of football has been pretty bad for a long time in that game. And I say that as an Army veteran. Boooooooring.

True. Every year, I sit down to watch that game (also because it's almost always after OU has wrapped up the regular season), and I really get into the pre game stuff...then the game starts and I fall asleep.

yermom
5/14/2012, 09:52 PM
you'd think we could get a little home cooking in Dallas

on the other hand, at least they keep it from going to Arlington until 2020

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2012, 10:13 PM
the Army Navy game is not your typical college football game- at least not what the typical OU fan expects

but go to one of the games - sit in the stands.....you'll come away with a different opinion than what's being expressed here

it's just not the same on TV

BigTip
5/15/2012, 12:51 AM
alternatively, let's get into a lather about that annual set to between the Crimson and the Elis. Big, big game.....about 100 years ago.

But, but, it's THE Game!

fadada1
5/15/2012, 06:14 PM
was at UF for games against tennessee and fsu. both games were at night; both games were nuts. the 6 OU/texas games I've been to... make those games look like quiet-time in a convent.

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2012, 01:39 PM
Mich - OSU
BAMA - Auburn
OU - texas

That's the order.

The 1 Iron Bowl I've been to, I literally thought the fans were going to go braveheart on each other. I don't think OU/texas can match that part of AL/AU mainly due to every male UT fan being homosexual. It's just really hard to mix it up with a sissy wearing shorts and cole haans.

delhalew
5/16/2012, 02:00 PM
When was the last time a Bama fan took an Auburn fans nuts as a trophy?

LASooner
5/25/2012, 02:38 PM
Those trees might have had acorns