PDA

View Full Version : FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC new TV deal, opens door for Big 12...

OU_Sooners75
5/12/2012, 08:31 PM
straight from FSU's warchant.com (Rivals) website:

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

Until now, everyone officially associated with Florida State has publicly supported the recently announced television deal between the Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN/ABC.
That is no longer the case.
In an exclusive interview with Warchant.com, Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard blasted the agreement that will net each ACC school approximately $17 million per year through 2026-27.

While the new deal will result in an increase of nearly $4 million per school from the old contract, some of the terms have resulted in harsh criticism from Florida State fans and alumni. It has also drawn the ire of FSU's Board of Trustees' Chair. "It's mind-boggling and shocking," said Haggard. "How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball?"
Haggard is referring to the fact that the ACC surrendered all third tier television rights for football to ESPN/ABC but kept them for men's basketball. That arrangement will likely result in substantial revenue for schools with a strong basketball following like North Carolina and Duke.On the other hand, it will do very little for schools with a more traditional football following like FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami.
"It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools," noted Haggard.
Haggard added that he has received numerous emails from FSU fans and alumni since the deal was announced and estimates that about 95 percent are unhappy with the ACC's deal and how it will impact Florida State.
This overwhelming criticism over the ACC's handling of the new TV deal and FSU's recently announced financial shortcomings (projected $2.4 million deficit for 2012-13) have only added fuel to rumors of a potential move to the Big 12.
Haggard confirmed that as far as he knows there has been no contact between FSU and the Big 12 regarding possible expansion. However, he makes it very clear that he and the Board of Trustees would be more than open to exploring the possibility if it would mean additional revenue to the school.
"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."
It has been reported that the new Big 12 television deal with ESPN/ABC will be result in each school receiving approximately $20 million per year. Were FSU and fellow ACC member Clemson to join the Big 12 that figure would go even higher. The SEC's new TV deal with Texas A&M and Missouri joining the conference is expected to be worth well over $20 million annually per school.
"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."
Of the few who still support FSU staying in the ACC, most cite the number of well-regarded academic institutions within the conference. However, Haggard scoffed at the idea that the ACC somehow helps FSU's academic reputation.
"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."
Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC.

PalmettoSooner
5/12/2012, 09:26 PM
straight from FSU's warchant.com (Rivals) website:

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

Maybe this will happen...who knows. I think FSU would be a great addition to the conference. Also, I haven't heard much out of Clemson. I know a lot of their fans would like to make the move also (if they get an offer) but nobody from the school has given any indication.

SoonerMarkVA
5/12/2012, 10:07 PM
Not excited about Clemson, but FSU would be an excellent addition. I guess with WV out there on an island, it would be good to build up an Eastern presence (although FSU isn't that close to WV).

delhalew
5/13/2012, 12:23 AM
I knew the ACC deal would leave some feeling cold. I tried to tell Mark Packer, but he didn't get it.

LASooner
5/13/2012, 01:57 AM
"On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."

This is officially not an internet rumor anymore.

LASooner
5/13/2012, 02:14 AM
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-12/sports/os-mike-bianchi-florida-state-fisher-0513-20120511_1_acc-espn-fsu-coach-jimbo-fisher-acc-s-tv

FSU coach Jimbo Fisher says FSU should explore leaving ACC for Big 12 (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-12/sports/os-mike-bianchi-florida-state-fisher-0513-20120511_1_acc-espn-fsu-coach-jimbo-fisher-acc-s-tv)

swardboy
5/13/2012, 07:43 AM
Bring on those tomahawk-choppin' hillbillies!

sooneredaco
5/13/2012, 12:56 PM
Let's go Big 12 clap clap clap!! Let's go Big 12 clap clap clap!! Let's go Big 12 clap clap clap!!:chuncky:

Jacie
5/13/2012, 01:27 PM
Two more schools on the East Coast would make the Big XII more national than regional. I think this is the trend for the future of Division 1 football.

OU_Sooners75
5/13/2012, 03:08 PM
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-12/sports/os-mike-bianchi-florida-state-fisher-0513-20120511_1_acc-espn-fsu-coach-jimbo-fisher-acc-s-tv

FSU coach Jimbo Fisher says FSU should explore leaving ACC for Big 12

(http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-12/sports/os-mike-bianchi-florida-state-fisher-0513-20120511_1_acc-espn-fsu-coach-jimbo-fisher-acc-s-tv)

Funniest part of the article:

"Don't kid yourself.

If the Big 12 offers big money, Chief Osceola would jump on Bevo and ride him bareback out of the ACC.

The only thing left behind would be the billowing smoke from his flaming spear."

SoonerorLater
5/13/2012, 05:48 PM
After reading the article I think it's a VERY good chance FSU joins the Big 12. Its not common for someone like the Head of the Board of Regents to come out so unambiguously. FSU must be seriously pissed off. If FSU jumps ship then I think Clemson would also seriously consider leaving. FSU doesn't have a long storied tradition with the ACC like Clemson but it's pretty clear that the ACC football schools feel like the got the shaft.

Osce0la
5/13/2012, 06:31 PM
Id love to make the move, maybe bring clemson and miami with us

delhalew
5/13/2012, 07:23 PM
The man's not lying... http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-13/fsu-seminoles-acc-joining-big-12-rumors

SoonerMarkVA
5/13/2012, 07:39 PM
Id love to make the move, maybe bring clemson and miami with us

I feel kind of torn about Miami. Ideally, yeah, I like the status they bring to the league for football (not to mention the clout in baseball from both UM and FSU). I also like the idea of the XII having the footprint in Florida of both UM and FSU. UM, though, seems like trouble just follows them. But, if I had to throw down and pick between UM and Clemson, I'd go UM.

Some interesting possibilities, too, if we go to 16. Fill out that Eastern division--and with some real good fortune include ND in that--and we've got one heck of a potential league. I'm thinking something like FSU, UM, VT, Clemson, WV, Louisville, ND, ISU in the East, and the rest of the existing XII-2 in the West.

delhalew
5/13/2012, 07:50 PM
Let's just let Miami die on the vine.

BBQ Man
5/13/2012, 08:56 PM
Funniest part of the article:

"Don't kid yourself.

If the Big 12 offers big money, Chief Osceola would jump on Bevo and ride him bareback out of the ACC.

The only thing left behind would be the billowing smoke from his flaming spear."

Hilarious!!!:chuncky:

sooneron
5/13/2012, 09:02 PM
Come on over fsu, but leave scUM out there to fester.

Ruf/Nek7
5/13/2012, 09:02 PM
How is Clemson not an intriguing addition to the Big 12? We get to play Venables every year or two depending on how schedules would change.

Salt City Sooner
5/13/2012, 10:27 PM
How is Clemson not an intriguing addition to the Big 12? We get to play Venables every year or two depending on how schedules would change.
x 2. Wouldn't mind getting scoreboard back from them. Thanks to Thompson breaking his leg against NU, they had to send Holieway out there against Ford's bunch when he was a shell of his former self.

gwydion
5/14/2012, 12:00 PM
Of the few who still support FSU staying in the ACC, most cite the number of well-regarded academic institutions within the conference. However, Haggard scoffed at the idea that the ACC somehow helps FSU's academic reputation.
"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

Are Nebraska and Missouri aware of this?

OU_Sooners75
5/14/2012, 09:07 PM

About the only conference where their affiliation with each other does impact their academics is the Big 10.

So I do think Nebraska thought very heavily about this.

Missouri, not so much.

BigTip
5/14/2012, 09:31 PM
Except in the Ivy League, which actually is more about academics, than sports

ouwasp
5/14/2012, 11:12 PM
Let's just let Miami die on the vine.

Yes... any Sooner fan that lived through 85-86-87 would love to see them go tits up...

KantoSooner
5/15/2012, 09:07 AM
I'm getting pretty tired of the academic trash talk; especially when it comes at us from the SEC or ACC. I've got a nephew who goes to FSU. I've been on their campus and sat in on some lectures for fun. There is absolutely zippo that they have that is not replicated or bettered on any Big12 campus. Unless they're close to patenting cold fusion in a graduate lab somewhere, they're a very modest academic institution.

allanace16
5/15/2012, 12:41 PM
While I do think that people do look at conferences and think of the schools being generally on the same level, that's about all. If you're a good enough academic institution, none of that really matters. The Stanfords of the world built that rep on their own, not because of their conference.

And if we're taking football-focused ACC schools, why the hell would we take Clemson over Virginia Tech?

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2012, 01:28 PM
And if we're taking football-focused ACC schools, why the hell would we take Clemson over Virginia Tech?

My guess is VT is considered a lost cause. VT can probably get into the SEC as they can offer something FSU and Clemson can't; a new state.

Plus, FSU seems to like Clemson more than VT.

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2012, 01:41 PM
I am betting this has more to do with why Clemson over VT than anything else.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1067973/TNPic2.jpg

badger
5/15/2012, 01:57 PM
[/B]

Fact: Nebraska was accepted into the Big Ten, and then promptly was voted out of the AAU.

Linky (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status)

Fact: As owners of Nebraska, Texas looked out for its property and actually voted in favor of Nebraska keeping in AAU status. The Big 12 conference members in AAU, also owned by Texas, also voted in favor of Nebrasky.

Link (http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_ee8bc436-2e5b-57c2-bdbc-b7d1acaa395a.html)

Thus, it can be safely assumed that Big Ten membership didn't do squat for Neb's ackeedemmys.

PalmettoSooner
5/15/2012, 01:58 PM
If I am not mistaken...VT would have a hard time leaving due to UVA. I think when VT joined the ACC, they signed a agreement to stay together.

badger
5/15/2012, 02:07 PM
If I am not mistaken...VT would have a hard time leaving due to UVA. I think when VT joined the ACC, they signed a agreement to stay together.

Not kidding, UVA's alma mater song is sung by many like this:

"We come from Old Vir-Gin-I-A, Where all is bright and gay. Not gay!"

At about 0:24:

tElgy5fjvBE

LVSOONER15
5/15/2012, 02:10 PM
Come on down FSU.

PalmettoSooner
5/15/2012, 02:25 PM
Not kidding, UVA's alma mater song is sung by many like this:

"We come from Old Vir-Gin-I-A, Where all is bright and gay. Not gay!"

At about 0:24:

tElgy5fjvBE

:glee:

LVSOONER15
5/15/2012, 03:39 PM
Not that gay...

MountainOkie
5/15/2012, 07:27 PM
Aside from the $2.4 Million shortfall across all FSU Athletics that's being reported there is another interesting report regarding the recent profitability of their football program.

The website linked below ranked the most profitable football/basketball programs in the country for 2010-2011. Florida State football ranked 99th!! They made roughly $2.5 million dollars and were outperformed by numerous basketball programs, including OU basketball. That is a sad state of affairs for what was once one of the premier football programs in the nation.

With these numbers they must be getting desperate.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/20/which-football-and-basketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

soonerboy_odanorth
5/16/2012, 12:57 AM
Yes... any Sooner fan that lived through 85-86-87 would love to see them go tits up...

As a Sooner fan that was at 2 of those three games (my parents were at all three), I would love to see them go tits up...

... and I would like the reason they go tits up to be that they joined the Big XII, and upon doing so we stuck a shiv up their asses and slit them up to their sternums and roasted their disembowelled carcasses on our 50 yard line every other Fall for about 20 years.

I would then say that would make us about even...

I suppose I might have been soothed somewhat if 2009 had seen a healthy Bradford and Gresham lined up against them as a follow-up to the 2007 beatdown. But no... '09 instead served to open very old wounds. And I find I still want blood.

49r
5/16/2012, 10:40 AM
Well...

They got this going for 'em:

http://www.gatortailgating.com/files/imagepicker/c/Casturtroy/68758553_03363467d0_1.jpg

So...you know. There is that.

KantoSooner
5/16/2012, 11:11 AM
Soonerboy,
I find your lackadaisical attitude toward Miami to be disheartening in the extreme. Suggest that you watch those games from the 80's over again (especially Aikman's assasination and our subsequent failure to send our own boys out to tit/tat on Vinnie Green Testicles). Once you have achieved the proper mind set, please reconsider your lack of commitment and try to find the appropriate vitriol with which to describe your feelings about that entire area code.
Sincerely

Landthief 1972
5/16/2012, 01:20 PM

Academics was a big talking point for Boren when the thought the move to the Pac was in the bag.

Landthief 1972
5/16/2012, 01:23 PM
Well...

They got this going for 'em:

http://www.gatortailgating.com/files/imagepicker/c/Casturtroy/68758553_03363467d0_1.jpg

So...you know. There is that.

Aren't these girls in their late 20s/early 30s and on their 3rd divorce with a syringe of botox in each hand by now?

OULenexaman
5/16/2012, 01:43 PM
could be.......so?

delhalew
5/16/2012, 01:54 PM
Academics was a big talking point for Boren when the thought the move to the Pac was in the bag.

It was horse**** when he said it too.

allanace16
5/16/2012, 08:20 PM
For what it's worth, I feel like every picture I've seen of FSU coeds was representative of what I saw when I went to Tallahassee.

Between that and the gameday atmosphere, I have every reason to believe those guys would be a quality addition to the conference. Had a spectacular time on that trip.