PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Overheating

MsProudSooner
5/10/2012, 06:12 PM
My laptop has begun to overheat occasionally. I'm sure it's all clogged up with dust & cat hair! Does anyone know a reputable place in Tulsa where I can take it to be cleaned?

jumperstop
5/10/2012, 07:29 PM
I work at Office Depot and I know that we could do that type of service there. They probably aren't the most reputable and are probably along the same lines as Best Buy's geek squad, but they could for sure do it. Doing those services might cost a little bit of money though. Maybe just try buying some canned air to see if you can clean it out or just open it up yourself and blow out the dust. Even if that's the case I would still suggest getting a chill mat for you laptop, I used to use my old on my lap all the time and didn't give it room to breath....pretty sure I melted the mother board.

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 08:02 PM
In have 2 Bottle tops under the back edge of mine, Elevates the back up about a 1/2 inch and gives more air room under it .

SanJoaquinSooner
5/10/2012, 08:25 PM
In have 2 Bottle tops under the back edge of mine, Elevates the back up about a 1/2 inch and gives more air room under it .

Well, I guess those bottles weren't a waste of money.

KantoSooner
5/11/2012, 01:12 PM
And they say you're not a techie Vet!

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 01:22 PM
And they say you're not a techie Vet!
I may be technologically challenged, But I aint stoopid :chuncky:

jumperstop
5/11/2012, 01:30 PM

This may seem retarded, but when mine started over heated I did the exact same thing. That's all those expensive chill mats do is raise it up a bit...I mean other than an additional fan. I don't know whether I should be proud or emabarassed that me and vets monkey brain came to the same conclusion...

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 01:33 PM
This may seem retarded, but when mine started over heated I did the exact same thing. That's all those expensive chill mats do is raise it up a bit...I mean other than an additional fan. I don't know whether I should be proud or emabarassed that me and vets monkey brain came to the same conclusion...

YOU got a Monkee Brain? So yer sayin ya aint Evolved much huh?

jumperstop
5/11/2012, 01:43 PM
YOU got a Monkee Brain? So yer sayin ya aint Evolved much huh?

Only to about the same point as you. :)

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 01:53 PM
Only to about the same point as you. :)

Accordin to Ole Seamus I aint made it to Neanderthal yet

yermom
5/11/2012, 02:03 PM
yeah, if it's sitting on a couch, or a bed or pillow, or something it's going to form up around it and not let heat and/or air escape as easily

MsProudSooner
5/11/2012, 02:53 PM
yeah, if it's sitting on a couch, or a bed or pillow, or something it's going to form up around it and not let heat and/or air escape as easily

That's what's frustrating. I put it on a lap desk, which is made of hard plastic, when I use it.

8timechamps
5/11/2012, 07:19 PM
Not sure if you're comfortable doing it yourself, but you should be able to un-screw the base of your laptop. Get a bottle of compressed air (from Wal-mart, or any office supply place). Blow all the hair/dust out of the laptop (focus on the fan area). Then put the base back on. That's pretty much what they would do at Best Buy or wherever you take it. Since every lap top is different, I can't post a step-by-step instructional, but it shouldn't be very difficult.

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 07:24 PM
Not sure if you're comfortable doing it yourself, but you should be able to un-screw the base of your laptop. Get a bottle of compressed air (from Wal-mart, or any office supply place). Blow all the hair/dust out of the laptop (focus on the fan area). Then put the base back on. That's pretty much what they would do at Best Buy or wherever you take it. Since every lap top is different, I can't post a step-by-step instructional, but it shouldn't be very difficult.

Step 1 Find a screw driver that fits
Step2 Find the screws

pphilfran
5/11/2012, 07:34 PM
Lefty loosy...righty tighty....

Penguin
5/11/2012, 08:15 PM
What's the problem? Whenever my lap gets too hot, I just take off my pants.

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 08:31 PM
I dont ever wear any

8timechamps
5/11/2012, 10:50 PM

So, your laptop must be hit a lot of the time, huh?

8timechamps
5/11/2012, 10:52 PM
Step 1 Find a screw driver that fits
Step2 Find the screws

The first time I took apart a laptop (much older/heavier back then), I unscrewed what seemed like 50 screws, and still couldn't get the damn thing to open up. I took it to a friend of mine that does computer stuff, and after he fixed some of the **** I broke, showed me how to do it. I probably don't remember now...so that doesn't help. Plus, I'm drunk....yay!

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 10:55 PM
The first time I took apart a laptop (much older/heavier back then), I unscrewed what seemed like 50 screws, and still couldn't get the damn thing to open up. I took it to a friend of mine that does computer stuff, and after he fixed some of the **** I broke, showed me how to do it. I probably don't remember now...so that doesn't help. Plus, I'm drunk....yay!

:welcoming:

cleller
5/12/2012, 07:55 AM
Yep, with a little screw driver and can of air you can surely do some good yourself.
If its a situation where you leave if sitting on a desk or something of the sort most of the time, get you a cheap fan contraption that it sits atop. When my desktop died a couple years ago, I hooked the monitor up to a laptop, and run it sitting on one of those fans all day, no trouble.

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopdesksstands/tp/coollaptopstands.htm