PDA

View Full Version : How I Became A 21-Year-Old Business Executive

yermom
5/10/2012, 02:35 PM
Alternatively titled "How to be Born on Third and Think You Hit a Triple"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/05/09/how-i-became-a-21-year-old-business-executive/

After considering entering the field of finance at local wealth management firms and investment banks, I decided to pursue a path not normally embraced by children of successful businessmen. I chose to join the family business. Some may think that working with your parents is stifling or controlling. To me, it is a world of opportunity, and I am working for the people that truly have my best interests at heart.

How adorably clueless :)

sooner_born_1960
5/10/2012, 02:45 PM
Sounds like she got the one job she could have gotten after flunking out of college.

badger
5/10/2012, 03:04 PM
I am picturing Steve Forbes countering Warren Buffett's "lucky sperm club" assessment as I think about this, knowing that it was Forbes magazine that ran the article :rolleyes:

badger
5/10/2012, 03:06 PM
After reading it through, I am also picturing that Walmart heiress that had her name yanked off the Mizzou basketball arena after it was revealed that she paid another student to do her college homework

SoonerJack
5/11/2012, 02:46 PM
Nine courses and an internship? Riiight.

Viking Kitten
5/12/2012, 03:59 PM
Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. You have to ask for things to be successful.

"DADDYYYYY???? Can I have a JOBBBBBBB????"

What a trite collection of BS cliches that article was. "Expect the unexpected! Stand out from the pack! Go work for your dad!"

At least one Forbes contributor knew it was crap though: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rahimkanani/2012/05/11/leadership-contributor-to-forbes-com-fires-back-at-staff-writer-re-star-hughes/?view=pc

pphilfran
5/12/2012, 04:05 PM
She (supposedly) replied to the comments on the article....

Dear Rahim,

I’m very sorry that you were so offended by my article. I wrote the article to share my own experiences – I never claimed to be a leadership expert. For the record though, I have worked at several other companies (an international management consulting firm, a nonprofit, and an investment bank). I also had numerous job offers coming out of both college and graduate school. Again, bucking the trend and not doing what is common, I chose to work with my family.

I’m sorry that you can’t look for the good in what I was trying to convey. Ultimately, I just wanted to encourage young people, especially young girls, to feel good about being themselves and being different.

Best,

Star Hughes

Viking Kitten
5/12/2012, 04:29 PM
My seventh-month-old's last diaper smelled less full of **** that that girl.

proud gonzo
5/12/2012, 06:23 PM
That column sounds just like the speeches my boss gives us each month, and at the Christmas party.

Skysooner
5/15/2012, 01:04 AM
Her name is Star? Me thinks should should be working at Sugars in Norman...

Mississippi Sooner
5/15/2012, 08:24 AM
Her name is Star? Me thinks should should be working at Sugars in Norman...

Hah! I was just about to say that. If you went to Sugars back in the late 80s/early 90s, Star was one of them that was always there.

yermom
5/15/2012, 08:26 AM
maybe her dad was a fan?

Viking Kitten
5/15/2012, 09:50 AM
Ugh. She has her own website. This girl is so far up her own ***, she can see daylight coming down her throat.

http://www.starhughes.com (http://www.starhughes.com/)

This is what helicopter parenting produces.

Viking Kitten
5/15/2012, 09:52 AM
Here's a sample of her blogging:

a justin bieber birthdayThank you all so much for your sweet birthday wishes yesterday! I’m sure my 21st birthday was just alittle bit tamer than most!
A big pancake breakfast with my family. Relaxing outside in the warm weather while reading Bethenny Frankel’s A Place of Yes. My eighth to last MBA class ever. A Justin Bieber-themed birthday, clad with these amazing party decorations:
http://www.starhughes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Justin-Bieber-Plates.jpg (http://www.starhughes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Justin-Bieber-Plates.jpg)
And the highlight?
http://www.starhughes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Bachelorette.jpg (http://www.starhughes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Bachelorette.jpg)
The THREE-HOUR finale of The Bachelorette! And she picked my guy! Yay!!!
Sounds pretty wild, huh?
Because I don’t drink – and have never had a sip of alcohol in my life (never will!) – this birthday wasn’tas big of a deal to me as it might be to most. I’m a little bit of a goody two shoes, and I have no plans to change! I’ve actually never even been to a traditional party. My version of a party is a group of girls getting manis/pedis and watching The Notebook with a few pounds of See’s candies.
My only experience in a bar atmosphere was in Hong Kong over my study abroad class this January…and my experience was so scarring that I ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel almost immediately (with two fellow MBAs in the back seat, extremely drunk, and all over each other) as I attempted to direct the Chinese taxi driver to our hotel. He couldn’t speak a word of English. I made it back to the hotel, put on my sweats, and had a blast dancing around the room to Britney Spears by myself. That’s me for you!
This birthday was no different – with my Britney Spears music, Justin Bieber birthday plates, and a big slab of cheesecake, it was the perfect 21st birthday and reflects exactly who I am.
Thank you all SO much for the birthday wishes!
XO Star

badger
5/15/2012, 10:50 AM
As much as I'd like to look down on the young naive fool that thinks she was hired on merit and not family name, in this era of job scarcity and lack of job security, it really is all about who you know these days, because hiring a complete stranger is usually too scary for workplaces, and connections mean more than they used to, it seems.

And really, she will never be able to convince anyone that she was hired on merit, even if the company skyrockets under her watch, makes tons of money, and she becomes more wealthy than all the Walmart heirs combined.

Viking Kitten
5/15/2012, 11:13 AM
Of course she did a smart thing taking the job. Totally sensible move. The issue is whether she should be bragging about it in Forbes as if she's somehow an expert in getting hired.

OULenexaman
5/15/2012, 11:13 AM
After reading it through, I am also picturing that Walmart heiress that had her name yanked off the Mizzou basketball arena after it was revealed that she paid another student to do her college homework while attending USC no less....

Tulsa_Fireman
5/15/2012, 11:15 AM
She'd be a lot more respected in business circles if she'd show us her boobs.

Jacie
5/20/2012, 04:21 PM
Hah! I was just about to say that. If you went to Sugars back in the late 80s/early 90s, Star was one of them that was always there.

Wonder if she was the same Star that worked at the Red Dog in 91?

Jacie
5/20/2012, 04:51 PM
I did exactly what this young lady did, went to work for the only place in town that would hire a 12-year old, my dad. I sweated a lot back the hot kitchen (no air conditioning) of his restaurant washing dishes by hand (the place had yet to get one of those industrial strength dishwashers). Worked for my dad off and on till i was out of college and landed a job that took advantage of my degree. Like the young lady, i felt pressured to work harder than everyone else in order to not be treated as the old man's kid. For some reason, even at 12, that mattered to me. Far as i can see, the only difference between the young lady and my situation is that my dad owned a restaurant instead of a Fortune 500 company.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2012, 05:08 PM
She's the anti-SicEm

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2012, 05:12 PM
Nine courses and an internship? Riiight.
Yes, I thought the same thing. I don't know how in the hell that's possible while maintaining the need for food and sleep. Hell, when would she even find the time to go to the bathroom?