PDA

View Full Version : REAL Thursday poll: Who is the more awesome ex-Texas Tech coach

badger
5/10/2012, 10:27 AM
Forget KU football suckitude, I'll try that one later. Here's a more fun topic: Who was more awesome, Bobby Knight or Mike Leach?

PS: Do NOT say "Well, when they were at Texas Tech..." because that is a crappy reason to choose one over the other, because they're both gone (and eff Tech for getting rid of Mikey anyway) and off to better things now, Bobby as the only tolerable ESPN color commentary guy and Mikey at Wazzu

Videos to influence your vote (may include NSFW language... wait, MAY?!?! it WILL include NSFW language):
1Onfzet1xxs
uMVmhI1SUq0
50LsvwmgJ7I
7Qxu5cvW-ds

uZaOFTp5_C8
c6brYtuPX-Q
DxBsXzvENpo
qSPcMXWJjUg

Four days of voting. Vote for your ONE favorite. Explain in the comments below if you want, otherwise your vote is anonymous

badger
5/10/2012, 10:32 AM
It was a very difficult decision for me to vote for Bobby because I LOVE Mike Leach (hence me posting on every thread that mentions Mikey and CJK5H)

LVSOONER15
5/10/2012, 10:38 AM
The Pirate Lives!!!!

yermom
5/10/2012, 11:15 AM
Bobby Knight's time at Tech is like a footnote. Leach made his name there for the most part

PalmBeachSooner
5/10/2012, 01:18 PM
For me John Wooden is the standard by which all coaches should be judged. Not only from a W-L benchmark, but how he represented himself and his university and how much he gave back to the game.

Based on the John Wooden standard, BK comes closest in wins but fails miserably in how he represented himself and his university. I can't identify any contributions to the game of BB that can be attributed to BK.

It remains to be seen what ML will accomplish in W-L. He certainly isn't the prototypical coach we are used to seeing. He's a breath of fresh air in my opinion. I also think there is no doubt ML has had a major impact on the evolution of offenses in college football.

Based on that comparison I think it's easy for me to say that ML wins this contest.

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 01:22 PM
I voted for Bob. I like Leach better, and he's been my fave of the two recently, but I voted for Bob for the lifetime achievement award of doing things his way.

PalmettoSooner
5/10/2012, 01:27 PM
I'm a huge Bobby Knight fan esp. when he was at Indiana. One of my favorite quotes by him was When I die, I hope they bury me upside down so all of you can kiss my ***. Plus I enjoyed the chair tossing on the court also.

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 01:29 PM
I liked the one where he was talking about sports writers and he says: (paraphrasing) We all learned to write in 1st grade, most of us then moved on.

PalmettoSooner
5/10/2012, 01:35 PM
I liked the one where he was talking about sports writers and he says: (paraphrasing) We all learned to write in 1st grade, most of us then moved on.

Haha...

cccasooner2
5/10/2012, 01:46 PM
You may bury me upside down, I voted for Mike.

SoonerNomad
5/10/2012, 02:27 PM
Coach Knight is an arrogant, condescending bully who hits his playes and belittles everyone that thinks differently than he. He is a better coach than he is a person, but most of his players swear by him

Coach Leach is an arrogant, condescending pirate who knows more than the other guy about everything (just ask) and who does things differently than the norm.

I love them both. When I briefly attended Texas Tech in the early 80's they had Gerald Myers (hoops) and Jerry Moore (gridiron) as our coaches. The players were pathetically nicknamed Jerry's Kids. Ugh.

Maybe, just maybe, arrogant condescending jerks just make better coaches.

KantoSooner
5/10/2012, 02:56 PM
Setting aside their supposed 'greatness', I'd enjoy sitting down and having a drink or 300 with the old pirate.
And Bobby Knight? From all accounts he's an *******/scumbag/sweinhund/*********.

On that basis, I pick the pirate.

goingoneight
5/13/2012, 07:52 PM
Longar Longar wants to know how this could possibly even be debated. Leach all the way.

texaspokieokie
5/14/2012, 08:57 AM
Don't care much for Knight; really respect him as a coach. I think , first & foremost, he cared about his players. He' might slap one now & then, but that was just to get their attention. He wanted them to succeed on & off the court.

He couldn't recruit very well in lubbock. nobody could.

Widescreen
5/14/2012, 10:47 AM
he cared about his players. He' might slap one now & then
Does not compute.

C&CDean
5/14/2012, 11:22 AM
Does not compute.

Spare the rod?

Personally, I don't give a rat's *** about either of them. For entertainment value, I'll probably take Knight. Leach is probably the most monotonous speaker I've ever heard. Some of the **** he says is alright, but his delivery blows.

Widescreen
5/14/2012, 12:02 PM
Spare the rod?
That's a parenting proverb - it doesn't translate to coaching adults. I sure hope that my son would be man enough not to allow himself to get smacked around by a coach.

C&CDean
5/14/2012, 12:14 PM
That's a parenting proverb - it doesn't translate to coaching adults. I sure hope that my son would be man enough not to allow himself to get smacked around by a coach.

But what if your son was dicking around playing pocket pull and not paying attention? Does he deserve to get shook or smacked around then?

Widescreen
5/14/2012, 12:45 PM
Nope. A coach better keep his hands to himself. He can yell all he wants but he better not hit a player regardless of the circumstances. I have no problems with them yelling, making them run, yanking their scholarship or other disciplinary actions.

For clarification, I don't view poking a player in the chest as "smacking them around".

olevetonahill
5/14/2012, 12:59 PM
If a Coach smacked My Kid around and got away with it . Id Smack My Kid fer lettin him .
Jes sayin

C&CDean
5/14/2012, 01:11 PM
In the day, my coach (who was also the Health teacher) not only smacked me around, he gave me swats on several occasions. So did the shop teacher and the history teacher. Principal and Asst. Principal too. Didn't hurt me none.

olevetonahill
5/14/2012, 01:27 PM
In the day, my coach (who was also the Health teacher) not only smacked me around, he gave me swats on several occasions. So did the shop teacher and the history teacher. Principal and Asst. Principal too. Didn't hurt me none.

In HS yea. No Prob
But in a College settin? Naw
If the kids a **** up kick his *** to the curb and be done with it

Widescreen
5/14/2012, 02:07 PM
I can see that. I mean things were different back when helmets were leather and goal posts were made of wood. ;)