PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Rumors about Franks and Reynolds.

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 07:40 PM
I'm hearing from a friend at ESPN that Trey Franks has been dismissed from the team, and Jaz Reynolds is being suspended for 7 games.

No link to back it up.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 07:54 PM
Checked all my super-secret sources, and there's no mention of this. Hopefully just a rumor...but if someone at ESPN is telling you that, it makes me worry a bit.

Harris County Sooner
5/9/2012, 07:56 PM
That's some very bad juju

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 07:56 PM
Checked all my super-secret sources, and there's no mention of this. Hopefully just a rumor...but if someone at ESPN is telling you that, it makes me worry a bit.
Prolly Craig James, Oh wait

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 07:58 PM
Just checked out Twitter, and there is definitely some talk of this (from players). Looks like it's going to end up being true. Will await the details to surface.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 07:58 PM
Prolly Craig James, Oh wait

CJK5H

:D

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 08:02 PM
CJK5H

:D

Heh
Keep us updated
Folks Like ME dont twit

bssooner1
5/9/2012, 08:02 PM
Yes twitter seems to suggest at least Frank is gone. Guess two many chances. Wonder what they did? Smoke pot? This hurts our chances. Don't sugar coat.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 08:04 PM
I don't tweet/twit, but I do follow the team/school...here's a couple of tweets/twits:

David Smith ‏
How could you ruin an opportunity to go to college for free and perform at a big time school for FREE. Is it that hard to do the right thing

Kass Everett ‏
True or not I just hate it had to be them.
I don't even know what's going on right.

I have no idea if these are related to what's going on, or not. But...doesn't sound too good.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 08:12 PM
Hope its just Bull ****, But if they did do wrong then Coach will kick em to the curb . and rightfully so

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 08:15 PM
Hope its just Bull ****, But if they did do wrong then Coach will kick em to the curb . and rightfully so

If it is true then it's just another example that Bob don't play around.

And I would gladly take all the ridicule in the world for posting the rumor if only it would turn out to be false.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 08:25 PM
If it is true then it's just another example that Bob don't play around.

And I would gladly take all the ridicule in the world for posting the rumor if only it would turn out to be false.

Agree Bro
Still hope its just a BS rumor tho:grumpy:

PalmettoSooner
5/9/2012, 08:29 PM
The only thing I've seen so far is from OUnation off of twitter

OU Nation‏@OUnation

If early reports are true. OU will be slim at WR. Still waiting on a official release from OU. #fb

LVSOONER15
5/9/2012, 08:29 PM
Hopefully not true.

badbrad2582
5/9/2012, 08:34 PM
Surprised Jaz is still on team. This would be suspension #2

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 09:06 PM
OU Insider reporting it now.

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Article/OU-receiver-corps-getting-thinner-73273

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:10 PM

It's behind a paywall...but it's official...ESPN should have a story soon.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 09:12 PM

Wonder what the knuckle heads did?

General Applewhite
5/9/2012, 09:15 PM
- nm -

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:15 PM
Losing Trey is going to cost us some experience, but we are fortunate to have so much talent coming in. Courtney Gardner is on track to have his coursework completed mid-summer. So, that'll help too.

Losing Jaz is going to hurt a little more, but if he is, in fact, only out 7 games...he will be back for the tough stretch at the end.

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 09:18 PM
Wonder what the knuckle heads did?

I'm hearing a failed drug test.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:18 PM
I'm hearing a failed drug test.

Yep.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:20 PM
Apparently Jaz and Trey were on thin ice with Stoops back in December (when the house cleaning occured).

Sooner91ATL
5/9/2012, 09:21 PM
they weren't going to be factors anyway. By the time jaz comes back, bell will have 24 touchdowns on 200 yards rushing.

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 09:24 PM
Weren't both suspended last year as well? I know at one point Franks was suspended indefinitely.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:29 PM
Weren't both suspended last year as well? I know at one point Franks was suspended indefinitely.

I remember Franks suspension, not sure about Jaz...but that sounds familiar.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2012, 09:31 PM
Jaz had been suspended more than once I believe..I have a feeling if it is a 7 game suspension, it will turn into him not coming back at all.

goingoneight
5/9/2012, 09:35 PM
Now, where are all of those people who said signing a bunch of receivers in February was stupid? Methinks Bob might know a thing or two that the rest of our message board coaches don't.

JLEW1818
5/9/2012, 09:36 PM
Never cared for Trey Franks, brought nothing to the table.

Jaz can stretch the field. That will hurt.

So we basically have 1 WR with a lot of experience? Not good.

trwxxa
5/9/2012, 09:37 PM
So we are currently down to 1 WR left with D-1 experience? This is certainly going to test the leadership abilities of Jones and Stills.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 09:38 PM
****in Dopes

JLEW1818
5/9/2012, 09:40 PM
Player bashing is absolutely allowed for off the field matters.

How dumb can you be?

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:41 PM
Jaz had been suspended more than once I believe..I have a feeling if it is a 7 game suspension, it will turn into him not coming back at all.

No details made official yet, but I'm surprised he wasn't suspended as well.

JLEW1818
5/9/2012, 09:41 PM
Dammit Jaz dammit

JLEW1818
5/9/2012, 09:42 PM
We should just commit all summer to the wishbone

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:44 PM
It would have been great to have Jaz on the field, but I don't think anyone thought Trey would end up starting. Stills/Metoyer/Gardner

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 09:46 PM
Apparently Franks wasn't dismissed, just suspended for the year.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-trey-franks-jaz-reynolds-reportedly-suspended/article/3674029

NORMAN — Junior receivers Trey Franks and Jaz Reynolds have been suspended from the team for violating team rules, OUInsider.com reported late Wednesday.
Franks' suspension is for the entire season, the website reported, while Reynolds is out for seven games.
Franks was Oklahoma's leading kick returner, averaging 23.9 yards a return as a sophomore last season. He caught 22 passes for 196 yards.
Reynolds, a junior, was OU's third-leading receiver last season, with 41 receptions, 715 yards and five touchdowns.
Both receivers have been suspended before. Reynolds was out three games in 2010, when he tweeted insensitive comments about a gunman at the University of Texas during OU/Texas week, and redshirted that season.
Franks was suspended two games last season for violating unspecified team rules.
The news of Franks’ and Reynolds’ suspensions comes after Kameel Jackson tweeted earlier this week his plans to transfer, he said, to Texas A&M.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-trey-franks-jaz-reynolds-reportedly-suspended/article/3674029#ixzz1uQlFtOEY

AlboSooner
5/9/2012, 09:51 PM
does this mean we win MNC only by 7 points?

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 09:52 PM
does this mean we win MNC only by 7 points?

No, it'll still be 14, just one or two less guys will touch the ball.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2012, 09:53 PM
I like all the accolades for the new guys, but I can't get excited about anyone who hasn't caught a division 1 pass yet....

cccasooner2
5/9/2012, 09:58 PM
Has Kameel burned his OU bridges?

JLEW1818
5/9/2012, 10:00 PM
Ditto.

We might have been better last year.

LVSOONER15
5/9/2012, 10:00 PM
Hopefully these incoming freshmen see the opportunity and take advantage. I have a feeling they will.

tanjou
5/9/2012, 10:03 PM
Another reason to legalize drugs.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 10:07 PM
The Story is out:

Coach Stoops: Quentin Hayes, Trey Franks, Kameel Jackson, Jaz Reynolds have been suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules.

Kameel just got an early jump.

NormanPride
5/9/2012, 10:12 PM
Eff 'em. We have enough issues with idiots not being team guys without carp like this going on. If you love the team, either shape up or get out of the way. So tired of this...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2012, 10:14 PM
Hayes hadn't done a thing anyway...One of our highest rated recruits of the last 5 years who has managed to get a spot on ST and not much else.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 10:15 PM
I like all the accolades for the new guys, but I can't get excited about anyone who hasn't caught a division 1 pass yet....

Ya need to take Lessons from Gumby then. Hes all over this Fresh QB hes got .

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 10:15 PM
The Story is out:

Coach Stoops: Quentin Hayes, Trey Franks, Kameel Jackson, Jaz Reynolds have been suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules.

Kameel just got an early jump.

You can't suspend me, I quit!!

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 10:22 PM
Another reason to legalize drugs.

Yea Buddy, We wants some stoned players

I got nuthin against the weed myself But if you think if it was Legal that Coach would still condone its use by his players yer a Dumas

delhalew
5/9/2012, 10:34 PM
Just hit the bricks. Focus on your game or get the hell out. I don't ever want the see the attitude and body language I saw year ever again. Either you're a gamer or you'er here to party. Somebody else will take you, but there's only one Oklahoma.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 10:36 PM
You can't suspend me, I quit!!

Excellent!

Redshirt
5/9/2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.newson6.com/story/18248177/four-ou-football-players-suspended-indefinitely

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 10:40 PM
Just hit the bricks. Focus on your game or get the hell out. I don't ever want the see the attitude and body language I saw year ever again. Either you're a gamer or you'er here to party. Somebody else will take you, but there's only one Oklahoma.

This, I think, is what it all boils down to. At times last year, our body language was awful. Looking back (with the information we have now), there was a cancer on the team. And while we'll probably never know who it was, I think it's safe to say Coach Stoops knew. It's unfortunate that a couple of these kids had serious talent, and probably threw away a chance to really help themselves...but, in the end, you either follow the rules or hit the bricks.

One thing that can never be said about HCBS is that he ran a loose ship. That's one of the reasons I am so glad he's our coach!

No single player is bigger than the program. The players may forget that from time to time, but Coach Stoops doesn't.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 10:50 PM
Yall try this on fer size

When B.S. 1st came here the whole team was Hungry and went after the Game like a rabid dog and brot home a MNC

Now Bob was a Young HC and had very little experience in keeping this many young men in line at one time

Yall remember when he took the Names off the jerseys? cause the players were gettin the big head?

Bob was Loyal to a fault to all his coaches, Never let a one go, Very rarely kicked a Player off for good

The last coupla years Hes been doing more an more of the Player deal and this year he shook up the coachin staff

8Xs Im thinkin he has been running fairly loose But has saw the error of those ways and is Now Kickin *** and taking names .
I may be wrong , But seems like every year we have had a few that think their **** dont stink

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 10:57 PM
Yall try this on fer size

When B.S. 1st came here the whole team was Hungry and went after the Game like a rabid dog and brot home a MNC

Now Bob was a Young HC and had very little experience in keeping this many young men in line at one time

Yall remember when he took the Names off the jerseys? cause the players were gettin the big head?

Bob was Loyal to a fault to all his coaches, Never let a one go, Very rarely kicked a Player off for good

The last coupla years Hes been doing more an more of the Player deal and this year he shook up the coachin staff

8Xs Im thinkin he has been running fairly loose But has saw the error of those ways and is Now Kickin *** and taking names .
I may be wrong , But seems like every year we have had a few that think their **** dont stink

You could be right vet. I'd be happy if that is the case.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 11:02 PM
You could be right vet. I'd be happy if that is the case.
Just seems like every year we Sayin Coach wont put up with that **** , then we see Prima donna players. What has me thinkin this way now is the deal with the Names coming off the Jerseys.

All the talk about How loyal Bob is and was to his coaches and players .

I just got a feelin that he was trying to Hard to be a Buddy to every one and found out that dont werk out so well .

We gonna see this fall when the Team takes the field. If its the same thing Different season then we gonna Know

MamaMia
5/10/2012, 12:00 AM
Let this serve as an example to the players we have left.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2012, 12:35 AM
Admit it, your source is Soonerfans.com.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 01:04 AM

yeah, because catching the football in D-1A is not the same as catching the ball in high school....almost impossible without experience!

:welcoming:

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 01:05 AM
Hayes hadn't done a thing anyway...One of our highest rated recruits of the last 5 years who has managed to get a spot on ST and not much else.

With all due respect to Hayes...who was in front of him? Flemming and Hurst?

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 01:09 AM
Admit it, your source is Soonerfans.com.

Its me.

Oh did I say that out loud?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/10/2012, 03:04 AM
Eff 'em. We have enough issues with idiots not being team guys without carp like this going on. If you love the team, either shape up or get out of the way. So tired of this...How common is it in major college football to have as many guys as we've had the last couple of yrs who have quit or transferred, or got kicked off the team?

hawaii 5-0
5/10/2012, 04:40 AM
Them's some pretty harsh penalites.

It makes me wonder what the players did?

Still I'm glad Stoops is keeping a short leash on them and not letting them run roughshod over him like what happenend to Barry.

Players, get with the Program, be part of a team, the Sooner team, or take your talents elsewhere. There's a lot of players who want to play for Stoops that aren't offered Schollys. Look at Whaley.

5-0

OUTrumpet
5/10/2012, 06:09 AM
yeah, because catching the football in D-1A is not the same as catching the ball in high school....almost impossible without experience!

It's more about can you
a) run the routes accurately, drawing the coverage to a designated area and thus letting you or someone else get open
b) how quick can you get off the line -- most plays you have 2-3 secs tops to get to the designated area, can you match someone who is 3-4 years older than you physically to get past them?
c) can you block said person on a run play / screen play

vtsooner21
5/10/2012, 06:22 AM
One would reasonably think that being a player for the Sooner Nation is both a privilege and honor. Those who have not received that axiom should really consider moving on. Hats off to Coach Stoops...

Boomer

jk the sooner fan
5/10/2012, 06:39 AM
it's hard to be hungry for a championship when some of your key players are more hungry for doritos

OULenexaman
5/10/2012, 07:14 AM
it's hard to be hungry for a championship when some of your key players are more hungry for doritos back in the day doritos were my favorite for the munchies.....

BigJerm7
5/10/2012, 07:28 AM

Why is he due respect?

cleller
5/10/2012, 07:29 AM
So what do we do for receivers now? That leaves us with one guy that has caught a pass, Stills. Thankfully Metoyer will be ready, but thinning out what was already a dangerously thin position is profoundly scary to me. Scrolling thru the roster, there is only one other receiver listed on the whole team. A senior named Derrick Bradley (5' 6").

Not saying Bob should not have lowered the boom, just What Now?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2012, 07:29 AM

No...Hayes was a safety.

Boomer.....
5/10/2012, 07:30 AM
Sounds like more house cleaning. Get the bad eggs out of the nest and the others will thrive.

colleyvillesooner
5/10/2012, 07:31 AM
From Top 10 defense on LandThieves

TIFWIW

Trey Franks situation is drugs, class and just being a negative debbie downer all the time who has been a cancer on this team since he has gotten here. He never made a play. Get the hell out. <br />
<br />
Kameel stopped going to class and was quoted asking for "Adidas" gear & turned into a Pre-Madonna who thought he was bigger than our historic program after his first solid spring.<br />
<br />
Jaz is school & drugs & is the most disappointing because he did make plays and this is his second major suspension. Most don't get in Bob's doghouse twice and get out. I'm sure his chances of not transferring out are very slim.<br />
<br />
As far as Gardner coming in it should be a Green Light.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/10/2012, 07:33 AM
Luckily none of this matters. College football is about to be cancelled. Forever.

Hot Rod
5/10/2012, 07:33 AM
Let this serve as an example to the players we have left.

And future players years ahead!

I don't think Stoops' guidelines are that harsh. If the majority of the team can make it through then these guys should've as well.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/10/2012, 07:44 AM
It doesn't matter. No team is scoring on Mike Stoops' defense this upcoming season anyway, so as long as Oklahoma's offense scores 3 points, it's all good.

Self-proclaimed "This."

boomersooner28
5/10/2012, 07:46 AM
This kind of stuff, by far, has to be the most disappointing and frustrating part of Bob's job. Hats off to him. I am sure most other big time football programs turn a blind eye to this behavior, Mr. Stoops says "get the hell out".

PalmettoSooner
5/10/2012, 07:59 AM

I don't think Stoops' guidelines are that harsh. If the majority of the team can make it through then these guys should've as well.

This kind of stuff, by far, has to be the most disappointing and frustrating part of Bob's job. Hats off to him. I am sure most other big time football programs turn a blind eye to this behavior, Mr. Stoops says "get the hell out".

I agree and support Bob's descison. I live in SEC country and you hear all the time about players getting into trouble multiple times and only getting a slap on the wrist. That just opens up the door for players to get away with more. I think its important to make an example and show that no player on this team is bigger than OU.

BoomerJ
5/10/2012, 08:11 AM

Nope. Don't break the law, go to class, work hard and great things can happen.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah it's the same...Ask Adron Tennell...And a lot of other named recruits that turned out..Some of the most highly touted recruits that OU has landed never did a thing in an OU football game.

So the first time one of them against a quality opponent makes some plays, great..Until then, I will reserve any excitement.

PrideMom
5/10/2012, 08:40 AM
Jaz Reynolds must be dumber than a box of rocks! He was the one that caught the touch down pass in the Spring game and dunked the ball over the goal post, causing a penalty on the extra point. He was suspended from play in the OSU game, which really hurt with Broyles not playing. Good ridance to a bad apple!!

texaspokieokie
5/10/2012, 08:45 AM
I think they took names off jerseys to sell more programs. At the same time, they lowered price back to $5.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2012, 08:52 AM
Jaz Reynolds must be dumber than a box of rocks! He was the one that caught the touch down pass in the Spring game and dunked the ball over the goal post, causing a penalty on the extra point. He was suspended from play in the OSU game, which really hurt with Broyles not playing. Good ridance to a bad apple!!

Jaz Reynolds played in the osu game and was injured.

KantoSooner
5/10/2012, 08:53 AM
A wise friend of mine, and father to two late teen sons, just commented, "It is almost impossible to overestimate the stupidity of 18-24 year-old males."

It seemed appropos under the circumstances

BillyBall
5/10/2012, 09:09 AM
So remember when we were talking about how much depth we had at receiver...

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 09:22 AM

No, when?

Boomer.....
5/10/2012, 09:34 AM
I get the feeling that Bob knew suspensions were going to happen and that's why we brought in such a deep recruiting class.

yukonsooner
5/10/2012, 09:36 AM
They were suspended on May 9, it could have been August 9. If it was going to happen I'm glad we have three months to make adjustments. Don't get me wrong it upsets me that they were so self-centered, not thinking about the team, not thinking about a free education from a top university, thinking there is an "I" in team. All that being said if we think that we have no chance to rebound from this set back we are just confirming their belief that they WERE the team. I'm disappointed but I think we have other players that will step up to the challenge.

cleller
5/10/2012, 09:45 AM
So nobody is concerned that Stills, Metoyer and some yet unnamed true freshman will be our entire receiver corps when we open up?

OULenexaman
5/10/2012, 09:47 AM
I am.....Stills makes me nervous.

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 09:49 AM
So nobody is concerned that Stills, Metoyer and some yet unnamed true freshman will be our entire receiver corps when we open up?

Naw , I dont sweat the small stuff.

dwarthog
5/10/2012, 09:50 AM
Plenty of concern, but we'll have to watch what happens as it unfolds. No college "free agent" market to tap into and make this better.

cleller
5/10/2012, 10:10 AM
Well, at least its only RBs, WRs and TEs that are the only thin/questionable aspects of the offense right now.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/10/2012, 10:45 AM
Anyone familiar with the twitter "code" #hangout?

swardboy
5/10/2012, 10:58 AM
I thought the odd behavior was supposed to happen AFTER a serious concussion.

Dio
5/10/2012, 11:08 AM
Luckily none of this matters. College football is about to be cancelled. Forever.

Yeah, but we've got Jason Whitlock to help us sav....aw, hell- we're screwed!

soonerboy_odanorth
5/10/2012, 11:09 AM
Anyone familiar with the twitter "code" #hangout?

No takers?

KantoSooner
5/10/2012, 11:09 AM
Concerned? Yes. And cautiously optimisitic at the same time.

We know what Stills CAN do. His issues have largely been inside his own head. And we know how Broyles started out. Such issues don't necessarily define a young man. So, here's hoping.

Metoyer? He's untried, but physically he's a beast. And he's had a pretty good spanking by life when he was forced to spend an extra year in high school. And he seems to have taken the message on board. Again, reason to be optimistic.

And then there's the recruiting class. Untried, mostly, but truly gifted athletes.

I agree that we need to wait and see, but there's no need to fear a falling sky.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/10/2012, 11:22 AM
No takers?

Fine. I'll just say it. I will not be surprised if a couple more very high profile players get a onsie - twosie suspension for the first 2 games v. UTEP and FAMU.

PalmettoSooner
5/10/2012, 11:24 AM
Concerned? Yes. And cautiously optimisitic at the same time.

We know what Stills CAN do. His issues have largely been inside his own head. And we know how Broyles started out. Such issues don't necessarily define a young man. So, here's hoping.

Metoyer? He's untried, but physically he's a beast. And he's had a pretty good spanking by life when he was forced to spend an extra year in high school. And he seems to have taken the message on board. Again, reason to be optimistic.

And then there's the recruiting class. Untried, mostly, but truly gifted athletes.

I agree that we need to wait and see, but there's no need to fear a falling sky.

Agree. I see no reason to panic at this point but I understand the concern that many has expressed. What this means now is that Metoyer and the other freshman WR's have to be ready (I know the summer doesn't give much time) to step into rolls that maybe they weren't expected to be in for 2012. I know we don't see it all of the time but there has been plenty of WR's that came in as freshman and played like they have been there for 3 years (Sammy Watkins is the first to come to my mind). Its is gonna be important for our coaches and Landry to work with these guys in getting them prepared.

PalmettoSooner
5/10/2012, 11:26 AM
Fine. I'll just say it. I will not be surprised if a couple more very high profile players get a onsie - twosie suspension for the first 2 games v. UTEP and FAMU.

Care to explain in more detail or provide link?

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 11:57 AM
A wise friend of mine, and father to two late teen sons, just commented, "It is almost impossible to overestimate the stupidity of 18-24 year-old males."

I'm 5 pages into this thread and this is the best, most truthful post so far.

edit..but this could be expanded to 10-24 year old males.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/10/2012, 12:09 PM
Care to explain in more detail or provide link?

No... it's speculation. I have teenagers in the house, one who is a fanatic about two things: his participation in football, and OU football. We had a conversation not long ago that he was very upset and disappointed by a pair of high profile players (not in the announced suspended 4) that he liked that were starting to frequently use "#hangout" on Twitter. The teenager informed me that the burnouts in his school use that as a euphamism for getting high. (IOW, exactly what is being rumored, that is a failed drug test, for Franks, Reynolds, etc.) He also picked up on a comment from one of our WR recruits from this last year that spending time with these particular players "influenced" his decision to come to OU.

Speculation and a bit of a leap on the part of the teenger. I cautioned him not to read too much into it. But as we see today from the suspended 4 there are always a few that won't fail to disappoint. And frankly the teenager is a lot more plugged in to social media lingo than I am. So can't say he's wrong, either.

Just saying it won't surprise me one bit if there is some more smoke from this particular fire. Pun intended all around.

Bruiser53
5/10/2012, 12:30 PM
Here’s to hoping we see Trey Millard on the field much more often this fall as a result of this. We have underutilized our above average fullbacks ever since AD left, and we have a stable of thoroughbred tailbacks that would love a lead blocker. Mix that with an experience O line and our running game could be really good this year. Stoops needs to get the best players on the field, not throw a bunch of freshmen WRs who aren’t ready for the big time out there just because we have been running 4 WR sets and chuckin’ the ball around for the last 4 or 5 years.

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 12:33 PM
We have a stable of thoroughbred tailbacks? We may have some with potential, and at least a couple who haven't lived up to their potential, but beyond maybe Whaley I don't recall any thoroughbreds??

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:37 PM
It's more about can you
a) run the routes accurately, drawing the coverage to a designated area and thus letting you or someone else get open
b) how quick can you get off the line -- most plays you have 2-3 secs tops to get to the designated area, can you match someone who is 3-4 years older than you physically to get past them?
c) can you block said person on a run play / screen play

you should probably stick to blowing trumpets.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:39 PM
So what do we do for receivers now? That leaves us with one guy that has caught a pass, Stills. Thankfully Metoyer will be ready, but thinning out what was already a dangerously thin position is profoundly scary to me. Scrolling thru the roster, there is only one other receiver listed on the whole team. A senior named Derrick Bradley (5' 6").

Not saying Bob should not have lowered the boom, just What Now?

Jesus, we will be fine!

We just signed the best WR class in recent history. And we just added 4 new guys.

We have players on the team that can play...don't fret.

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 12:40 PM
I sure don't see the need for panic. It's not like any of those guys reminded anyone of Jerry Rice.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:44 PM

Dont let facts get in your way...But I am assuming you heard this on WLS?

Receiving No. Yds TD Long ----------------------------------- Franks,Trey 8 49 0 14 Stills,Kenny 6 63 0 15 Finch,Roy 3 13 0 6 Millard,Trey 2 39 0 23 Jackson, Kameel (http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jackson_kameel00.html) 2 29 0 16 Reynolds,Jaz 2 23 0 12 Miller,Dejuan 2 16 0 11 Hanna,James 1 13 0 13 Clay,Brennan 1 5 0 5 Totals... 27 250 0 23

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/12_osu.html

^^^ Link is of the stats from the OSU game.

OUTrumpet
5/10/2012, 12:45 PM
you should probably stick to blowing trumpets.

I'll let the head coach of my program make that call. FWIW, I've got athletes that I have coached at aTm, UT, TTU, TCU, LSU.

Granted I work more with RBs and o-line at the moment and haven't worked with receivers, but I have picked up on many things.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:46 PM

But one would think after being in the dog house one, some would learn!

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:47 PM

When was this?

Most knew we were thin at WR...hence the reason signing 4 great WRs this past signing day.

Now, look for some summer JUCO additions to be made if any of these kids are gone from the team.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:48 PM
I get the feeling that Bob knew suspensions were going to happen and that's why we brought in such a deep recruiting class.

I have a feeling Bob knew that one of the biggest needs period was at the WR spot...so he went out and brought in a deep WR recruiting class.

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 12:52 PM
Shoot boys Ima come to the rescue!

6-3, got my weight up to 202. Been working out, lifting, doing a little running. Kinda old for college football, and prolly run about a 5-flat right now, but I could prolly catch 3/4 the balls thrown to me.

...and I don't mess with the drugs! Where I sign up at?

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2012, 12:54 PM
I'll let the head coach of my program make that call. FWIW, I've got athletes that I have coached at aTm, UT, TTU, TCU, LSU.

Granted I work more with RBs and o-line at the moment and haven't worked with receivers, but I have picked up on many things.

So you got to ask Stoops if you can blow trumpets?

LOL

PalmettoSooner
5/10/2012, 01:21 PM
Shoot boys Ima come to the rescue!

6-3, got my weight up to 202. Been working out, lifting, doing a little running. Kinda old for college football, and prolly run about a 5-flat right now, but I could prolly catch 3/4 the balls thrown to me.

...and I don't mess with the drugs! Where I sign up at?

:excitement:

OUTrumpet
5/10/2012, 01:48 PM
So you got to ask Stoops if you can blow trumpets?

LOL

Have fun trolling message boards. I'll be enjoying coaching my HBs this afternoon at one of the best high school programs in Texas.

cleller
5/10/2012, 01:54 PM
When was this?

Most knew we were thin at WR...hence the reason signing 4 great WRs this past signing day.

Now, look for some summer JUCO additions to be made if any of these kids are gone from the team.

Still bothers me that we only have ONE GUY on the roster who has caught a pass in an OU game. Obviously Metoyer looks like he will be able to help, but that's it for right now.

What's going to happen when we go to Lubbock, Dallas, and home for Notre Dame without these guys?

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 01:55 PM
Still bothers me that we only have ONE GUY on the roster who has caught a pass in an OU game. Obviously Metoyer looks like he will be able to help, but that's it for right now.

What's going to happen when we go to Lubbock, Dallas, and home for Notre Dame without these guys?

We'll either win or lose with the players still on the team, and then life will go on.

cleller
5/10/2012, 02:06 PM
We'll either win or lose with the players still on the team, and then life will go on.

Not so fast, my Curly Friend. How can you mention losing, and life going on in the same sentence?

Obviously your grip on sanity is loosening.

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 02:12 PM
Not so fast, my Curly Friend. How can you mention losing, and life going on in the same sentence?

Obviously your grip on sanity is loosening.

Just got older that's all. And notice I didn't say I wouldn't gripe & complain if we lose! If we're down to playing cheerleaders on the offensive line I still reserve my right to come on here, or anywhere else, and raise hell. ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/10/2012, 02:12 PM
Quetin Hayes from Twitter:

@QuentinHayes ill be back for 2 a days

quickly followed by this from Donald Stephenson

@Don59Wayne check yo DM

probably to tell him to shut the F up, or to see what happened. (forgot he is in the NFL now)

SoonerNomad
5/10/2012, 02:15 PM
Very disappointing morning. I saw this for the first time scrolling along the screen while watching ESPN and threw my hot coffee all over the cat.

Okay, I didn't have any coffee and I don't have a cat. But you understand.

Franks and Reynolds were going to contribute on the field and that will be missed. Sounds like there off field actions and personalities will not be missed. I am a big fan of giving someone a second chance, but not a third.

Okie35
5/10/2012, 02:49 PM
People will step up its not a big deal but Jaz is an idiot. He can't stay away from suspensions. Franks never done anything to impress me his hands are faulty and he trips over himself on kickoff returns.

8timechamps
5/10/2012, 02:53 PM
Just got older that's all. And notice I didn't say I wouldn't gripe & complain if we lose! If we're down to playing cheerleaders on the offensive line I still reserve my right to come on here, or anywhere else, and raise hell. ;)

Yep. The young guys will either rise to the occasion, or they won't. We'll see.

allanace16
5/10/2012, 02:57 PM
I mean realistically, if you're gonna get unimpressive receiver play, it might as well be from freshmen. Given how we looked in the spring game, I didn't see anything that really stood out as exceptional play from anyone but Metoyer (the Jaz TD catch was nice, but it was just one catch). Plus now you probably see more of Finch in the slot and that could bring some interesting matchups when you go up tempo. Seems that a lineup of Stills/Metoyer/Finch/Millard and (insert WR/TE/RB here) would be pretty versatile and consists of fairly proven guys. The cream will rise to the top on this one. Someone will separate themselves and fill in.

OUbasketball4life
5/10/2012, 03:06 PM
Me wonders hows Justin Mccay and Sheldon Mcclain are feeling...they probably would have had a chance to step up and get some quality snaps. None the less it's disturbing but it's good to know that Stoops isn't about to let any player think they are above the program. I'm hoping this really gets the attention of all players and take a lesson from this!

BillyBall
5/10/2012, 03:09 PM
When was this?

It was meant to be facetious, it obviously didn't work...

EatLeadCommie
5/10/2012, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see somebody on D flipped to the other side to provide depth at WR, but I don't know who that would be.

Losing Reynolds hurts. The others, not at all. Franks was the most overrated player in recent memory. The only thing he excelled at was slipping and falling when he tried to go anywhere but north and south.

This will open up early opportunities for Shepard, who is going to be a stud.

cccasooner2
5/10/2012, 03:24 PM
Yep. The young guys will either rise to the occasion, or they won't. ,,,

I'm sure you are correct.

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 03:42 PM
Yep. The young guys will either rise to the occasion, or they won't. We'll see.

I give him not moren a 74 38% chance to be right

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 04:09 PM
I mean realistically if you're gonna get unimpressive receiver play, it might as well be from freshmen. Given how we looked in the spring game, I didn't see anything that really stood out as exceptional play from anyone but Metoyer (the Jaz TD catch was nice, but it was just one catch). Plus now you probably see more of Finch in the slot and that could bring some interesting matchups when you go up tempo. Seems that a lineup of Stills/Metoyer/Finch/Millard and (insert WR/TE/RB here) would be pretty versatile and consists of fairly proven guys. The cream will rise to the top on this one. Someone will separate themselves and fill in.

Eggzactly! Why I'm not too concerned about this. I haven't seen anything out of those guys we lost that I wouldn't expect a frosh to be able to do. If anything maybe the new guys will come in hungry and ready to contribut right away, as opposed to getting lost in the shuffle just biding their time.

If anything this is a positive!!!

KantoSooner
5/10/2012, 04:28 PM
It'll put some pressure on Josh to massage his playbook to fit his personnel. I'll be interested to see what he draws up.
Methinks that Metoyer could start putting up some very large numbers, very quickly. The little bit I saw of him in the spring practice didn't show any fundamental flaws and good god the kid's got tools. He'll be a mismatch for whoever defends him.

8timechamps
5/10/2012, 05:02 PM

I give him not moren a 74 38% chance to be right

Sometimes, you just have to go out on a limb and make a bold prediction!

8timechamps
5/10/2012, 05:02 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see somebody on D flipped to the other side to provide depth at WR, but I don't know who that would be.

Losing Reynolds hurts. The others, not at all. Franks was the most overrated player in recent memory. The only thing he excelled at was slipping and falling when he tried to go anywhere but north and south.

Joe Powell

cleller
5/10/2012, 06:54 PM
Joe Powell

Good observation. I know nothing about the guy, except he seems to have confidence.

OUTrumpet
5/10/2012, 07:03 PM
Joe Powell

Powell was a beast at Skyline. Guy torched several guys who currently play at both LSU and Texas.

Okie35
5/10/2012, 07:11 PM
Joe Powell

Yes. :welcoming:

Eielson
5/10/2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah it's the same...Ask Adron Tennell...And a lot of other named recruits that turned out..Some of the most highly touted recruits that OU has landed never did a thing in an OU football game.

So the first time one of them against a quality opponent makes some plays, great..Until then, I will reserve any excitement.

I feel like Adron would probably help us out about as much as Franks and Jackson would. Jaz was the only one who ever really did anything, and he's not all that hard to replace, either. If I remember right, we have about five guys, so even if we missed on three of them, that still means we hit on two, and we've also got Stills.

ashley
5/10/2012, 07:42 PM
They were big pills for a long time. This serves notice the Stoops won't put up with with jerks that don"t go to class. They forced his hand.

tulsaoilerfan
5/10/2012, 08:36 PM
Well if you can't go to class, don't show up on time for workouts, and like to do drugs then get the hell out and don't come back; i have zero tolerance for kids that throw away a free education

Ruf/Nek7
5/10/2012, 08:54 PM
No... it's speculation. I have teenagers in the house, one who is a fanatic about two things: his participation in football, and OU football. We had a conversation not long ago that he was very upset and disappointed by a pair of high profile players (not in the announced suspended 4) that he liked that were starting to frequently use "#hangout" on Twitter. The teenager informed me that the burnouts in his school use that as a euphamism for getting high. (IOW, exactly what is being rumored, that is a failed drug test, for Franks, Reynolds, etc.) He also picked up on a comment from one of our WR recruits from this last year that spending time with these particular players "influenced" his decision to come to OU.

Speculation and a bit of a leap on the part of the teenger. I cautioned him not to read too much into it. But as we see today from the suspended 4 there are always a few that won't fail to disappoint. And frankly the teenager is a lot more plugged in to social media lingo than I am. So can't say he's wrong, either.

Just saying it won't surprise me one bit if there is some more smoke from this particular fire. Pun intended all around.
My Twitter feed is full of OU recruits and current players. I know exactly who you are talking about because I too have seen the "#hangout" tag used quite a bit amongst some favorable OU athletes. Man I hope that is wrong.

BigTip
5/10/2012, 08:55 PM
Does indefinitely suspended mean suspended without "pay"?
Are they going to get a tuition bill in the mail now?
If they were "dismissed" from the team I would assume their ride was over. That's what makes me wonder.

I Am Right
5/10/2012, 08:58 PM
Geeez, and Stills cant catch a cold!

SoonerObsession
5/10/2012, 10:21 PM
My niece is a Junior at OU and she use to be a big Kenny Stills fan. The last time we talked she was really disappointed in him because "he's a pothead". I wonder how much longer till we lose him as well. This is depressing!

picasso
5/10/2012, 10:40 PM
I personally know two former oSu players who were All Big 8 and major league potheads. Some dudes just gonna blaze.

tanjou
5/10/2012, 10:48 PM
Getting high is ****ing awesome

hawaii 5-0
5/10/2012, 11:00 PM
Aren't there people paid by the University to keep this thing under control?

Not under wraps......under control.

Those athletes on schollys should be drug free while getting a free ride.

5-0

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2012, 06:21 AM
If that was the case, and all weed smoking players were kicked off, college football would not be the sport we see today.

Ruf/Nek7
5/11/2012, 06:39 AM
If that was the case, and all weed smoking players were kicked off, college football would not be the sport we see today.

Yeah, it would just be a bunch of white guys playing...like me!

OULenexaman
5/11/2012, 07:01 AM
hey......we are gonna have some fired up freshman fighting for a starting position at WR. We might just get the next Jerry Rice from this class.....lessons learned early.

budbarrybob
5/11/2012, 08:33 AM
8 Pages of this thread and no one has said it...

We're Doomed

BigJerm7
5/11/2012, 08:35 AM
The sun did not come up today.

Fire Vulnerables.

Mississippi Sooner
5/11/2012, 08:44 AM
I can't find any more kittens to drown.

LVSOONER15
5/11/2012, 09:15 AM
The sun did not come up today.

Fire Vulnerables.

And I was planning on using my sun dial today.

oumartin
5/11/2012, 10:26 AM
I always smoke a joint before taking the field. I run faster and hit harder.

Stoops needs to relax and take a hit

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7098/7176849008_141f4efa30.jpg

PMKMDJ
5/11/2012, 10:52 AM
Is anyone really surprised that kids in college would be smoking weed, whether they are athletes or not? Let's be realistic.
BTW, in this study it was more prevalent in white athletes.

http://www.higheredcenter.org/files/product/marijuana.pdf

Athletes
In June 2005, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) surveyed 19,676 college athletes across the United States. Past surveys had shown a sharp decrease of marijuana use in the late 1980s and early 1990s (see table 2). In a reversal of that trend, 28.4 percent of the athletes surveyed in 1997 reported using marijuana at least once during the previous year. This figure dropped slightly to 28.1 percent in 2001 and dropped again to 20.3percent in 2005. The majority of the athletes surveyed had started using marijuana prior to coming to college. Specifically, 65.7 percent of users started in high school,while 11.8 percent started during their first year in college and 6.1 percent after their first year in college. By ethnic group, the highest rate of marijuana use was found among Caucasians, a trend also found among college students in general.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/11/2012, 11:16 AM
Pot is a major draw at Texas and that is why they always have recruiting classes that are ranked high.

KantoSooner
5/11/2012, 11:51 AM
Pot is a major draw at Texas and that is why they always have recruiting classes that are ranked high.

I see what you did. Clever.

auto
5/11/2012, 12:19 PM

Exactly. I promise the IT industry would be a ghost town.:02.47-tranquillity:

KantoSooner
5/11/2012, 01:07 PM
The personal computer and the hard drive wouldn't exist, that's clear. But perhaps an automated slide rule!

OU_Sooners75
5/11/2012, 02:31 PM
Have fun trolling message boards. I'll be enjoying coaching my HBs this afternoon at one of the best high school programs in Texas.

Good for you. Not saying you are wrong...but just razzing you anyway.

OU_Sooners75
5/11/2012, 02:32 PM

They are still on the roster. They are not kicked off the team. And I can almost guarantee you at least two of them will be playing by at least the third game of the season.

We still have all summer and fall camp for these kids to get their head on right and to get back in the good grace of Bob Stoops.

OU_Sooners75
5/11/2012, 02:38 PM
Very disappointing morning. I saw this for the first time scrolling along the screen while watching ESPN and threw my hot coffee all over the cat.

Okay, I didn't have any coffee and I don't have a cat. But you understand.

Franks and Reynolds were going to contribute on the field and that will be missed. Sounds like there off field actions and personalities will not be missed. I am a big fan of giving someone a second chance, but not a third.

They are not off the team, not yet anyway.

And some people need to relax. At this point there may just be one guy with playing experience projected to be starting. But this isnt the end of the world.

I watched some tape of Durron Neal, Trey Metoyer, Gardener, and Derrick Woods. All of these guys can play. The good thing about Gardner is that he may not have D1 experience, but he does have experience going up against guys that are not in high school and that have moved on to d1 schools as well.

Metoyer, from what I have seen from soonersports.com and heard from people that went to the spring game, is one of the rare WRs that can come in and be an instant star.

These suspensions do put a dent in the depth at WR, but it isn't like any of these guys have fully contributed to the program yet. Nor have any of them blossomed into superstars.

OU will be just fine with or without them.

OU_Sooners75
5/11/2012, 02:40 PM

Like who? We are pretty thin at the DB as well.

Eielson
5/11/2012, 05:38 PM
I'd rather have a whole lot of talent and little experience than a whole lot of experience and little talent.

OUster
5/11/2012, 05:46 PM
My stomach hurts at the thought of losing 3 wide receivers Why does this crap always seem to happen to us either with injuries, or Big Red car dealerships. However, it reminds me in avery pleasant way of the last time we have 4 freshman wide receivers ( Savage, Mackey, Woolfolk and Hagan) with a veteran slot. Turned out ok that year!

MamaMia
5/11/2012, 05:52 PM
This is a real bummer, but we will just have to make the best of who we have left and hope it all turns into wins. We have plenty of time to get it together. They guys we will have on the field will look at this as their time to shine. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly impressed.

PLaw
5/11/2012, 06:26 PM

And some people need to relax. At this point there may just be one guy with playing experience projected to be starting. But this isnt the end of the world.

I watched some tape of Durron Neal, Trey Metoyer, Gardener, and Derrick Woods. All of these guys can play. The good thing about Gardner is that he may not have D1 experience, but he does have experience going up against guys that are not in high school and that have moved on to d1 schools as well.

Metoyer, from what I have seen from soonersports.com and heard from people that went to the spring game, is one of the rare WRs that can come in and be an instant star.

These suspensions do put a dent in the depth at WR, but it isn't like any of these guys have fully contributed to the program yet. Nor have any of them blossomed into superstars.

Yeah, when I saw Metoyer at the spring game, he reminded me of Julio Jones as a Freshman. This kid will dominate.

BOOMER

PDXsooner
5/11/2012, 06:56 PM
The good news is that the new guys have been lifting weights all spring. So everything will be A - Ok...

Salt City Sooner
5/11/2012, 07:11 PM
My stomach hurts at the thought of losing 3 wide receivers Why does this crap always seem to happen to us either with injuries, or Big Red car dealerships. However, it reminds me in avery pleasant way of the last time we have 4 freshman wide receivers ( Savage, Mackey, Woolfolk and Hagan) with a veteran slot. Turned out ok that year!
They were all freshmen in '99. I don't know about you but I'm hoping for a little better than a 5 loss year, personally. ;)

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 07:15 PM
They were all freshmen in '99. I don't know about you but I'm hoping for a little better than a 5 loss year, personally. ;)

But wasnt it Great to ONLY have the 5 that year?

8timechamps
5/11/2012, 07:21 PM
But wasnt it Great to ONLY have the 5 that year?

No kidding...that was awesome!

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 07:25 PM
No kidding...that was awesome!

I were amazed at that season yet the Best was still to come :surprise:

8timechamps
5/11/2012, 10:49 PM
I were amazed at that season yet the Best was still to come :surprise:

Seems like a lifetime ago. I still remember hearing about OU hiring Bob Stoops and thinking "who the hell is this guy? We need to get a big name coach!".

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 10:54 PM
Seems like a lifetime ago. I still remember hearing about OU hiring Bob Stoops and thinking "who the hell is this guy? We need to get a big name coach!".

Same way I felt about Josh
I kept sayin ;"who is this Kid"
Then I started axin "Where in hell they find him"

8timechamps
5/11/2012, 10:58 PM
Same way I felt about Josh
I kept sayin ;"who is this Kid"
Then I started axin "Where in hell they find him"

Yep...when I heard we had brought in a JuCo quarterback, I just rolled my eyes and thought "this won't last long".

Nice walk down memory lane...I'll have another pull of Turkey Creek! Cheers to ya vet!

olevetonahill
5/11/2012, 11:06 PM
Yep...when I heard we had brought in a JuCo quarterback, I just rolled my eyes and thought "this won't last long".

Nice walk down memory lane...I'll have another pull of Turkey Creek! Cheers to ya vet!

Ima have a sip of the OVJ

Ruf/Nek7
5/12/2012, 07:26 AM

Why is everyone forgetting Sterling Shepard? That kid (based on size and style of play) is a Ryan Broyles prototype. At this point, I wonder what kind of punishment Schmidty would have for the guyys to reduce their suspensions? Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

cleller
5/12/2012, 07:35 AM
They are still on the roster. They are not kicked off the team. And I can almost guarantee you at least two of them will be playing by at least the third game of the season.

We still have all summer and fall camp for these kids to get their head on right and to get back in the good grace of Bob Stoops.

I was still expecting one or more of them back, however it sounds like none should be eligible for those games I listed, which will have a big impact on the season.
Josh has been waiting 13 for a re-match with ND, and now this happens.

Where OU football is concerned you are more the "glass half full" type. (meant as compliment) Until I see we've got enough guys to line-up and play competitively at that position, I'm going to be a "glass half empty" type. Its a sucky way to look at it, I know. Wish I could get over it.

I don't even want to think about injuries at the position on top of all this. We all saw how one injury at WR threw us into a blender last year.

VA Sooner
5/12/2012, 07:44 AM
As Bob has proved in the past, we will move on without star players and especially with ones with the neg 'tude.

Buh bye, Mr. Franks. You had more than ample chances. Time to head back home and try to tell your family and friends why you had to leave the program. You weren't nearly as talented as your high school scouting report said you were.

Buh bye, Mr. Jackson. We don't need an Tat-Five scandal at our program... should have kept your nose clean for the 2-3 years you were here before bolting to the NFL. You have the talent, just not the head to keep you out of trouble.

Buh bye, Mr. Reynolds. You will be somewhat missed because of your experience but thankfully we will have a stable of WRs to replace you and sounds like they are already ready to go.

I agree... this must be the most frustrating part of coaching college football nowadays. Keep OU from being an Ohio State or USC or Florida or SMU.

In Bob We Trust.

PLaw
5/12/2012, 08:26 AM
I was still expecting one or more of them back, however it sounds like none should be eligible for those games I listed, which will have a big impact on the season.
Josh has been waiting 13 for a re-match with ND, and now this happens.

Where OU football is concerned you are more the "glass half full" type. (meant as compliment) Until I see we've got enough guys to line-up and play competitively at that position, I'm going to be a "glass half empty" type. Its a sucky way to look at it, I know. Wish I could get over it.

I don't even want to think about injuries at the position on top of all this. We all saw how one injury at WR threw us into a blender last year.

Simply have to stay injury free, period. It's time the good karma comes back to OU as we have certainly paid our alms to the football gods with star player injuries.

I'm comfortable with Stills and Metoyer. If Gardner is as good as advertised and has his head on straight, then we will be solid at the wideouts.

In the slot, I would seriously look at giving a Finch a shot there, but high hopes on one of the new kids making a big impact.

We will be fine

BOOMER

8timechamps
5/12/2012, 08:06 PM
Simply have to stay injury free, period. It's time the good karma comes back to OU as we have certainly paid our alms to the football gods with star player injuries.

I'm comfortable with Stills and Metoyer. If Gardner is as good as advertised and has his head on straight, then we will be solid at the wideouts.

In the slot, I would seriously look at giving a Finch a shot there, but high hopes on one of the new kids making a big impact.

We will be fine

BOOMER

Very true. Health is such a critical factor is making a championship run (conference or otherwise), and with little depth at WR, we'll need it in a big way.

If Finch were just a little taller, I'd think he would be a good slot guy. As it stands, Clay may be as good an option as any we have. I hope one or two of the new guys steps up and fills the spot. I have faith one will.

SOONER

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2012, 09:05 PM
Right now, I would guess that Finch may start at slot vs UTEP.

5/12/2012, 10:16 PM
Clay falls down, like Trey Franks. Wish it wasn't so.

swardboy
5/13/2012, 07:47 AM

Maybe Bob had him on a good rehab program this offseason.

cccasooner2
5/13/2012, 09:27 AM

So you're claiming Clay has feet of Franks?

IronHorseSooner
5/13/2012, 10:28 AM
They way that I look at all of this is like this. Here's a comparison of what we lost to grad, x-fer, and suspension to what we have coming in:

1. Gardner replaces Miller: Net gain. They are essentially the same size, but Gardner seems to have a more consistent game. He should start from day one.
2. Metoyer replaces Reynolds: Net gain. Again, they are essentially the same size. What we lose in experience, we gain in raw talent. Metoyer has been readying himself for all of this and should also start from day one.
3. Neal replaces Jackson: Net gain. Jackson has good hands, but Neal has the whole package. Before the suspensions, I was wondering how Neal was going to be utilized. Now, he has a chance to make an immediate impact.
4. Woods replaces Franks: Net gain. Whereas Franks has game experience and speed, Woods seems to have more consistency and strength. He was one of the more coveted WRs in California.
5. Shepard replace Broyles: Net loss. You just don't replace a legend and all-time record holder; however, Shepard can look to produce like Broyles did as a Freshman. If the coaches can get that, then that is a boon.

In four of the five cases, there is a net gain, and Jaz will be back. As mentioned earlier, we could very definitely see Finch in the slot, as well as Danzel Williams. Some folks have wondered just how these guys would fit in the new offense with the move to bigger backs. If you think of this as RBs and WRs together, then the suspensions are more manageable.

picasso
5/13/2012, 11:29 AM
It's not good news but we're going to be better at the receiver position than we were in Stillwater last fall. Even without Jaz.

delhalew
5/13/2012, 11:31 AM
I'm with IronHorse on this one. If some of these guys represent an upgrade in work ethic, even more of a gain. There is the obvious depth issue, but that could be a chance for Jaz to get it together, and fall in line. Maybe he get's to step back in when the season begins to take it's toll.

5/13/2012, 11:36 AM
So you're claiming Clay has feet of Franks?You're on the right back, there! Badda-Bing!

Jacie
5/13/2012, 12:57 PM
The one thing that can be said about this situation is that all programs have it happen, all head coaches must deal with it, players who for one reason or another, are going to washout not because of injury or ability but off-field issues. It is part of it, has always been part of it (for perspective, look up Joe Don Looney). The program moves on without the distraction.

ashley
5/13/2012, 07:41 PM
This notice has will not be lost on the rest of the players. Got to hand it to Bob.

8timechamps
5/13/2012, 09:52 PM
Right now, I would guess that Finch may start at slot vs UTEP.

If that is the case, we are not very well-off at receiver. I know a lot of people think Finch has better hands than Clay, but I think it's the other way around. It will be interesting to finally see what Clay can do (being 100%).

Personally, I don't think either one of them will start at slot. It'll be one of the new guys. (that's really going out on a limb, huh? :D )

Curly Bill
5/13/2012, 10:54 PM
If that is the case, we are not very well-off at receiver. I know a lot of people think Finch has better hands than Clay, but I think it's the other way around. It will be interesting to finally see what Clay can do (being 100%).

Personally, I don't think either one of them will start at slot. It'll be one of the new guys. (that's really going out on a limb, huh? :D )

Agreed

stoops the eternal pimp
5/14/2012, 12:23 AM

Notice I said UTEP..Because if that was the case, one of the new guys would probably have it by at at the latest Texas..

Piware
5/14/2012, 12:44 PM
When are some of these boneheads every gonna learn? One would think by now that they would realize Stoops does not kid around about this stuff. In Sooner fashion, we will go with what we've got and not be surprised if some baby super stars emerge.

revelladee
5/14/2012, 01:28 PM
Isn't Dominic Whaley still on the team?

olevetonahill
5/14/2012, 01:31 PM
Isn't Dominic Whaley still on the team?

Yes. Hes a Runnin Back. These dudes are receivers

SoonerKnight
5/14/2012, 03:03 PM
WOW!! We got a QB that is 2nd string maybe they can throw to him as well!! LOL!

oumartin
5/14/2012, 05:22 PM
I heard he ran Vulnerables off cuz that dude was smokin' something!!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
5/14/2012, 05:42 PM
If I were a betting man, I would say we have not seen the last of the suspensions/dismissals for 2012. And I would guess even bigger names than what we just saw. I asked some questions of some folks a bit more plugged in than me, and did not like the answers I got. Sounds like a problem has been identified and is being dealt with. No more info, no link, no "source." Just a bit louder rumor mill swirling around from people "on the ground" closer to campus.

Sucks to see these kids disappoint, but all in all I am glad steps are being taken to assure we have a TEAM that is pursuing excellence.

radio
5/16/2012, 12:26 AM
Yea Buddy, We wants some stoned players

I got nuthin against the weed myself But if you think if it was Legal that Coach would still condone its use by his players yer a Dumas

How do you think the Cowboys won all those superbowls in the 90s. Cocaine's a hell of a drug!

Remember, this is OU they just keep pullin em out of the stable. The team had a funk last year seemed like a mutiny... Stoops will purge then hit it again.

PS PROHIBITION NEVER HAS WORKER NOR WILL

PalmBeachSooner
5/16/2012, 02:19 PM
hey......we are gonna have some fired up freshman fighting for a starting position at WR. We might just get the next Jerry Rice from this class.....lessons learned early.

I hope when you say 'fired up' you don't mean they fired up a fatty.