PDA

View Full Version : Davonte Johnson - Interesting recruit to follow

8timechamps
5/8/2012, 03:34 PM
Davonte Johnson is a teammate of Sooner commit Stanvon Taylor at East Central in Tulsa. He's a 6' 175lb cornerback on the Sooners' radar. As of right now, the Sooners have not extended an offer to Johnson. In fact, no major schools have....yet.

Johnson is quietly moving up the list for several schools (including Arkansas, Kansas State, TCU and others). He's performed very well at some Nike invitational events and been to junior days at Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas State.

What makes this guy interesting to follow? He may be the recruit in the state that wants to be a Sooner more than any other. He is constantly quoted on how much he loves Oklahoma Football ans says things like: “They are winners, and it’s my home state, they have the best team in the nation in my opinion.”.

The recruiting of Johnson has definitely heated up with Arkansas and Kansas State both hosting Johnson in the past month. The Sooners continue to evaluate Davonte, and have been very up-front and honest with him about targeting DBs ahead of him, but he keeps saying that he's working hard and determined to prove he is among the best DBs in the country.

I know there are a ton of kids that want to play for OU, but for some reason (maybe his very good showing at the Nike events), I think this kid is a diamond in the rough. I hope he can do enough to earn an offer, because I think a kid like this would jump into the program with everything he has. We'll see how it plays out.

OU_Sooners75
5/8/2012, 06:51 PM
The thing about Johnson, he will be very easy to flip if a big program gets his verbal first.

Allow a thorough evaluation of him then offer is everything is in order.

MountainOkie
6/1/2012, 02:00 AM
Any news on this guy 8time? I'm always for a native Oklahoman with some talent and some Chutzpah.

OU_Sooners75
6/1/2012, 09:32 AM
Any news on this guy 8time? I'm always for a native Oklahoman with some talent and some Chutzpah.

Im not 8time....but there really isn't much coming out about this kid right now. According to rivals, he has no offers from any big program. Though Kansas State and Arkansas are really interested in him.

Oklahoma is looking at him, but not actively pursuing him at this moment. It has a lot more to do with the offers OU has out across the nation. So you can say he is a plan "B" recruit for OU at this point in time.

But if OU gets a deep interest in him, he will commit.

OU_Sooners75
6/1/2012, 09:33 AM
Oh, and his name is spelled: Devanta

8timechamps
6/1/2012, 12:54 PM

He's supposed to be in Norman this weekend for camp. I'm hoping he impresses. I'll pass along what I hear after the weekend.