PDA

View Full Version : More Big 12 Conference expansion talk

SoonerNomad
5/8/2012, 10:49 AM
Have you guys seen this stuff about Florida State and Clemson coming to the Big 12. I received a call from my FSU buddy last night and I heard a couple of phone calls about it on the college station on XM. Certainly appears to be in the rumor stage, but very interesting.

http://www.cemetery-hill.com/2012-articles/may/details-of-rumored-big-12-expansion-with-clemson-a-fsu-emerge.html

http://www.eerinsider.com/2012-articles/may/are-clemson-a-fsu-leaving-the-acc.html

Since Geography seems to be a non-factor in the recent movement of teams among conferences these two teams seem to be a reasonable fit in a football heavy conference.

OULenexaman
5/8/2012, 10:56 AM
nice.....more orange.

SoonerPride
5/8/2012, 11:04 AM
It would help upgrade our conference.

The Big 12 as configured is weak sauce

PalmettoSooner
5/8/2012, 11:19 AM
Have you guys seen this stuff about Florida State and Clemson coming to the Big 12. I received a call from my FSU buddy last night and I heard a couple of phone calls about it on the college station on XM. Certainly appears to be in the rumor stage, but very interesting.

http://www.cemetery-hill.com/2012-articles/may/details-of-rumored-big-12-expansion-with-clemson-a-fsu-emerge.html

http://www.eerinsider.com/2012-articles/may/are-clemson-a-fsu-leaving-the-acc.html

Since Geography seems to be a non-factor in the recent movement of teams among conferences these two teams seem to be a reasonable fit in a football heavy conference.

This has been a hot topic with FSU and Clemson fans. I've talked to several Clemson fans and they are about 50/50 on the subject. No lie, two big reasons they are against it is because of the travel issue (not many fans at away games) and some actually believe it will hurt their academic standards. If these two schools did get an offer to join...they would be crazy by not jumping over this opportunity. With rececnt TV deals with the PAC 12, SEC, Big 10, and Big 12, the ACC is about to get left way behind. If this happened, I would love to see the Big 12 pick up 2 more teams (either Lousiville, Miami, GT, or Cincy). But this has been all rumors so far....

colleyvillesooner
5/8/2012, 11:22 AM
I'm sure a lot here would love a crack at a BV defense.

PrideMom
5/8/2012, 11:23 AM
Would this create another Big XII championship game? Some teams would like to avoid this.....(UT)....

PalmettoSooner
5/8/2012, 11:30 AM
Would this create another Big XII championship game? Some teams would like to avoid this.....(UT)....

I would believe so..

KantoSooner
5/8/2012, 11:48 AM
Clemson.....academic standards.

See the problem? Some things just don't go together.

EatLeadCommie
5/8/2012, 12:01 PM
Clemson.....academic standards.

See the problem? Some things just don't go together.
I believe they'd be the second highest rated school (per US News & World Report) in the BXII if they joined, behind Texas. Yeah, they get made fun of a lot in the ACC for their academics, but that's because the ACC is full of top notch academic schools. The BXII right now is a joke academically.

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 12:04 PM
I'm sure a lot here would love a crack at a BV defense.

:)

PalmBeachSooner
5/8/2012, 01:25 PM
The Big XII just signed the TV deal with ESPN, right? With that deal in place wouldn't bringing in two more teams dilute the $$$ distribution? Because of that and the possibility of a playoff I don't think the conference will expand anytime soon.

1) Don't dilute the TV money; and
2) If they go to a playoff system, a conference championship game is not in its best interest.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2012, 01:40 PM
It would help upgrade our conference.

The Big 12 as configured is weak sauceWe could be in the South Division again, and not have to play WVU as often.

MeMyself&Me
5/8/2012, 03:06 PM
The Big XII just signed the TV deal with ESPN, right? With that deal in place wouldn't bringing in two more teams dilute the $$$ distribution? Because of that and the possibility of a playoff I don't think the conference will expand anytime soon.

1) Don't dilute the TV money; and
2) If they go to a playoff system, a conference championship game is not in its best interest.

Been rumored for a while that the contract has an automatic escalator clauses for expansion to 12 for a CCG worth something like $2mil per team per year (going on memory) AND an clause regarding expansion allowing the Big 12 to go back to open market. Don't remember the exact details off the top of my head (was leaked a while back) but the guy 'leaking' the info regarded these two clauses as a 'license to hunt'. Was just message board posting so take a big grain of salt with that but he was as believable as an anonymous poster can be.

OUinFLA
5/8/2012, 03:15 PM
...... as believable as an anonymous poster can be.

Out of curiosity, I ran that phrase thru Bing and managed to come up with 39,000,000 hits.

Seems low to me.

MeMyself&Me
5/8/2012, 04:03 PM
Out of curiosity, I ran that phrase thru Bing and managed to come up with 39,000,000 hits.

Seems low to me.

Yeah, there's no way to verify whether someone is legit or not. In any case, whether what he said is true or not, just the fact that it's possible he's legit means that the current contract does not necessarily mean that there's no shot at expansion like PalmBeachSooner was suggesting until someone provides proof otherwise. Anyway, here's the thread. Skip through and just read FromTheInside's posts. Starts on the second page, I believe post number 18. If you go through and read his posts, you'll see why I said he's pretty believable.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/acc.15197/

In any case, it's a bit dated. The expected post season payout structure as become a much bigger issue than the TV payouts and the most common model being thrown around involves a HUGE difference for conferences that are participating versus conferences that get left out. The ACC would have only participated ONCE in the last 10 years if the models they've been looking at were in place.