PDA

View Full Version : Heating water: which is more efficient/cheaper?

cleller
5/8/2012, 10:39 AM
Lets say you are going to defrost a freezer, and want some pots of hot, almost boiling water to speed the process. At your disposal you've got a high efficiency electric water heater, and an electric stovetop.

Is it most efficient to go ahead and get the hot water from the tap, then heat it some more on the stovetop; or

Get cold water from the tap, and do all the heating on the stovetop? Time is no consideration.

I know its stupid, but I'm still curious. There's plenty of other whackos around here.

yermom
5/8/2012, 10:46 AM
how much water are you going to waste waiting for the water to get hot?

cleller
5/8/2012, 11:48 AM
how much water are you going to waste waiting for the water to get hot?

That's part of the reason to go with the cold from the start, no wasting hot water in the pipes between the water heater and the tap. (I chose just to start with cold water)

Maybe the wisest thing to do is wait until it is 108 in the garage, and use no water at all.

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 11:51 AM
Blow torch!

pphilfran
5/8/2012, 12:14 PM
Lets say you are going to defrost a freezer, and want some pots of hot, almost boiling water to speed the process. At your disposal you've got a high efficiency electric water heater, and an electric stovetop.

Is it most efficient to go ahead and get the hot water from the tap, then heat it some more on the stovetop; or

Get cold water from the tap, and do all the heating on the stovetop? Time is no consideration.

I know its stupid, but I'm still curious. There's plenty of other whackos around here.

This makes no sense...

Why speed up the process if time is not a consideration?

cleller
5/8/2012, 01:22 PM
This makes no sense...

Why speed up the process if time is not a consideration?

I was afraid someone would call me on that. I meant time no consideration on heating the water, as I knew either way would get it pretty hot in a reasonable amount of time. Trying to defrost the freezer without the hot water would take a very UNreasonable amount of time.

Mostly curious which people would think the cheaper way to heat water. So far, I've heated the water up 3 times, and am about finished. Not bad for a cool day, and an icy freezer.

ouleaf
5/8/2012, 01:45 PM
Blow torch!

This. Fairly cheap and probably a lot more fun.

cleller
5/8/2012, 02:23 PM
I had forgot I had three Indianola Pecan Logs in that freezer.

I mean two.

achiro
5/8/2012, 02:29 PM
I think you are making the process much more complicated than it needs to be.

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 02:30 PM
Yup, just unplug the thing, wait for the ice to melt, bale out the water, dry the insides, plug in,wait for it to get cold, stock with food items.

8timechamps
5/8/2012, 03:43 PM
Blow torch!

Yep. Home Depot or Lowes. I've found so many uses (from bending metal to cooking steak) for my blow torch. GREAT to have around the house.

Mississippi Sooner
5/8/2012, 03:58 PM
I've been waiting to see the thread on how to boil water. I guess there's really nothing more to see here.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/8/2012, 04:10 PM
Should've hooked a hose to the drain on your hot water heater. That way you would've got the hot water directly from your hot water tank.

That'll be $9.95, please.

Jacie
5/8/2012, 07:48 PM
I think you need a new freezer.

cleller
5/8/2012, 07:50 PM
Should've hooked a hose to the drain on your hot water heater. That way you would've got the hot water directly from your hot water tank.

That'll be $9.95, please.

Then you have to deal with the valve that will never quite shut off again.

I admit thread defeat. I have a ice-free freezer, though; and not a bunch of frost-free-freezer-burned-and-dehydrated food.

deweydw
5/9/2012, 08:45 AM
I didn't think there were still freezers left that frosted up. Who'd a thunk it.

rock on sooner
5/9/2012, 03:48 PM
Hand held hair dryer...yes, there still are frosting up freezers (and at least one
frosting up beer fridge!)