PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting annoyed...

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 10:27 AM
...at checking out at various retailers and being asked if I want to contribute to whatever charity!

Grocery stores, department stores, fast food eateries, etc, etc...Just leave me alone will ya!

I'm all for charity, have given, and do give regularly, but this is too much. Leave me alone, let me pay for what I purchased and let me leave your establishment without begging for more of my money on behalf of whomever, or whatever...

Even the Walmarts isn't sacred anymore as I was hit-up there yesterday upon checkout.

I have resolved as a matter of policy to no longer donate in such a way!

Thanks for listening. I feel better.

Boomer.....
5/8/2012, 10:42 AM
Why do you hate the less fortunate?

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2012, 10:44 AM
what is your annoyment really a reflection of?

KantoSooner
5/8/2012, 11:05 AM
Even the Walmarts isn't sacred anymore

Dear Sweet Mother of God!
When they take away my Walmart, they're walking on my fightin' side.

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 11:40 AM
Why do you hate the less fortunate?

Because they voted for Obama! ;)

cleller
5/8/2012, 02:20 PM
I don't like this either. Its as if we are now being pressured by public shame to help out others, regardless of our own difficulties. On its face, it seems like its a harmless way to raise funds, but it violates the whole idea of charity. Remember Jesus' lesson on the rich man and the poor woman's gifts in the church?

Then you have to consider why they are really asking. So some slick Walmart executive can stand up in a commercial and proclaim that Walmart raised X million dollars for Y Charity?

Don't see how being opposed to this tactic can label anyone as hating the less fortunate. More like hating corporate deception.

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 02:26 PM
I don't like this either. Its as if we are now being pressured by public shame to help out others, regardless of our own difficulties. On its face, it seems like its a harmless way to raise funds, but it violates the whole idea of charity. Remember Jesus' lesson on the rich man and the poor woman's gifts in the church?

Then you have to consider why they are really asking. So some slick Walmart executive can stand up in a commercial and proclaim that Walmart raised X million dollars for Y Charity?

Don't see how being opposed to this tactic can label anyone as hating the less fortunate. More like hating corporate deception.

This ^^^^^^^

If I wanna help I'll help, but this is getting old. I didn't think too much about it the first time or two, but as it seems this may become more and more common, I'm gonna just say: NO.

Chuck Bao
5/8/2012, 03:09 PM
In my humble opinion, it is not about that. In Bangkok, there are a lot of beggars on the streets. Some of my American friends get really excited about not giving a penny to the beggar mafia and how they control the streets through mafia tactics and get their own beggars out at the best footpath junctions and then take the bulk of their donations. I don't really care. If I want to give, I give. If I don't want to give, I don't give. It is just too easy to over-think this and there is no good reason for it.

8timechamps
5/8/2012, 03:41 PM
It doesn't really bother me, but I can see where it may get annoying on a regular basis. The bottom line here is that most people are of the mind-set "If I wanna give, I'll give...if not, I won't". At least I am (and a couple others here too).

I'm much more annoyed by the constant "would you like an extended warranty on that?". NO! It's a $10 Waterboy DVD...I think I'll survive if it becomes damaged.

Boomer.....
5/8/2012, 03:47 PM
There are people who say they will donate, but never do. This provides them the opportunity to do so without going out of their way to seek out a charity. Even if it's only $1 at a time, it is generating a lot more money than before. Personally, I don't have a problem with it an do donate most of the time.

Curly Bill
5/8/2012, 04:01 PM
I've donated every time I've been asked so far. But from here on out Ima just say NO!

Then I'll donate in some other form or fashion. Really I will!

Mississippi Sooner
5/8/2012, 04:05 PM
I just say, "que?"

Frozen Sooner
5/8/2012, 07:21 PM
I'm with you. I also hate those kids who hang out at the grocery store and ask for donations to go on their hockey/football/baseball/whatever trip. Go mow some yards.

yermom
5/8/2012, 07:38 PM
i don't give money to anyone soliciting anything, generally.

kbsooner21
5/8/2012, 08:58 PM
I agree 100% Pisses me off too!

fadada1
5/8/2012, 09:04 PM
i give (what little i can, at times) to causes that have a personal connection. unfortunately, they are vicious diseases that have affected friends - leukemia, CF, MS. i don't need to be asked to do it. i'll just give $20 when i'm reminded. i tend not to give to kids needing to fund this or that.

8timechamps
5/8/2012, 09:34 PM
I'm with you. I also hate those kids who hang out at the grocery store and ask for donations to go on their hockey/football/baseball/whatever trip. Go mow some yards.

I've been involved with raising two boys through youth baseball/football. Over the years, we've raised a lot of money for trips/tournaments, and not once have we ever been involved with soliciting strangers at the grocery store, or Walmart. I know it happens, and I can't stand it. Which, is probably why we've never done it. There are far too many other options for fundraising (some I even learned here) to resort to soliciting donations from people just trying to buy toilet paper and milk.

MamaMia
5/9/2012, 12:34 AM
I simply say...."I wish I had more to give to the charities I've throughly researched," which is the truth.

Another thing you can do is tell them that you will give them 5.00 if they will give you 5.00 to give to your favorite charity, and tell them the name of that charity.

BigTip
5/9/2012, 07:21 AM
I don't like it, because if you say no, you assume the person asking now thinks you to be an uncharitable person.

I get charitable requests at my business on a daily basis. My stock respose is;
"I have a favorite charity that I donate to. Yours sounds good though. Good luck with it."
It helps that it's true of course. I feel like if I make a big donation to one place it makes a bigger impact and then I can say the above to all those that ask. I have begun to say it at the grocery store check out line now too.

soonerinabilene
5/9/2012, 09:00 AM
At our H-E-B, they have their employees standing at the exit with a box, and ask if you would like to donate any of the food you just bought to the food bank. And the look offended when you tell them no.

Curly Bill
5/9/2012, 09:05 AM
At our H-E-B, they have their employees standing at the exit with a box, and ask if you would like to donate any of the food you just bought to the food bank. And the look offended when you tell them no.

LOL...I haven't encountered this one yet!

KantoSooner
5/9/2012, 09:59 AM
I'll say this about HEB, they're more than a little committed. I sell them ingredients and they put their suppliers through a wringer to facilitate a goal of making it possible to feed a family of 4 for $50 a week.
And, criminy! you can hardly put salt, pepper and flour on the table for $50/week. (I exagerate, but you get the point).

Curly Bill
5/9/2012, 10:02 AM
I can't feed me on $50 per week!

delhalew
5/9/2012, 10:58 AM
I have to say, I'd rather be shaken down at Walmart, than have the money deducted from my pay so a federal government can decide which parties will be the recipient of my charity...which of course is no longer charity since it is required and backed by the full power of the government. Just saying.

oudavid1
5/9/2012, 10:58 AM
He just hates the Top 1%

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 11:33 AM
#1 Dont go to Wally world
#2 when axed Just give em the Stink eye, They will leave ya alone

Midtowner
5/9/2012, 11:39 AM
Haven't been to Wallyworld in years. They do this at PetsMart though. I give 'em a buck or so every single time. I figure all of those donations probably add up to a lot and it's a reputable charity.

8timechamps
5/9/2012, 03:05 PM
#1 Dont go to Wally world
#2 when axed Just give em the Stink eye, They will leave ya alone

LOL! This is my new response. Thanks vet!

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 03:18 PM
LOL! This is my new response. Thanks vet!
:chuncky:

Wishboned
5/9/2012, 10:28 PM
Next time you're in the checkout line beat them to the punch. When they start to scan your items ask them if they'll knock off a few dollars from your total because you're down on your luck.

olevetonahill
5/9/2012, 10:52 PM
Next time you're in the checkout line beat them to the punch. When they start to scan your items ask them if they'll knock off a few dollars from your total because you're down on your luck.

Heh

5/10/2012, 05:24 AM
The drive-thru is the worst for me.

NO! JUST GIVE ME MY SAMMICH!

\stinkeye (thanks, vet)