PDA

View Full Version : What if... Reggie Smith

VA Sooner
5/5/2012, 09:26 AM
had stayed for his senior year as Stoops had recommended. Would he have been drafted higher than 3rd round and would he still be with the 49ers?

He signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Panthers in April and I'm sure he'll excel there as he's gotten bigger and tougher.

Ruf/Nek7
5/5/2012, 09:38 AM
I would have to think he would have jumped a round or two had he stayed. An extra year learnung under Stoops who played DB in college himself, could only strengthen your stock.

badger
5/5/2012, 10:33 AM
Tough to say. Remember that Travis Lewis was projected to go in the second round last year but went later this year. :(

MyT Oklahoma
5/5/2012, 11:23 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20. But I am inclined to think that an extra year would have benefited him.

However, I would have said the same thing about Curtis Lofton and he did just fine leaving early.

picasso
5/5/2012, 02:02 PM
We may have won #8.

BoulderSooner79
5/5/2012, 04:55 PM
I doubt Lofton could have improved upon his 2nd round pick had he stayed; but he sure could have helped OU! I do think Reggie Smith could have improved his status by staying, but of course he could have hurt it too if he got injured.

I really feel bad for Travis Lewis because he stayed for all the right reasons and it totally backfired on him. And it's hard to say he really helped the team because he was so hobbled the entire season. I just hate seeing people bag on him here just because he has a big mouth. He would have had the same big mouth had we won #8 and everyone would have cheered him for it.

goingoneight
5/5/2012, 05:50 PM
From what I heard, Reggie would still be playing for coaches he was "burnt out on" playing for had he stayed.

JLEW1818
5/5/2012, 08:07 PM
He can't catch punts

agoo758
5/6/2012, 12:36 AM
We may have won #8.

Cost us #8 in 2007. :(

BoulderSooner79
5/6/2012, 01:23 AM
Cost us #8 in 2007. :(

Disagree. Even if we get to the big dance, so many players were hurt I couldn't see us winning (yes, even against tOSU). The team that played WVU in the Fiesta was a shadow of the group that beat Mizzou in the CCG. And RS just made the last mistake in that CU game that was lost by the whole team, including the coaches.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/6/2012, 03:20 AM
I doubt Lofton could have improved upon his 2nd round pick had he stayed; but he sure could have helped OU! I do think Reggie Smith could have improved his status by staying, but of course he could have hurt it too if he got injured.

I really feel bad for Travis Lewis because he stayed for all the right reasons and it totally backfired on him. And it's hard to say he really helped the team because he was so hobbled the entire season. I just hate seeing people bag on him here just because he has a big mouth. He would have had the same big mouth had we won #8 and everyone would have cheered him for it.Well said. I think you're correct.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2012, 03:50 AM
Boulder is right...He would have been about the same spot regardless as well as Lofton...And his career at SF would have went the same.

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2012, 08:55 AM
Reggie, Malcolm Kelly and Curtis Lofton all bailed way too early...IMO...and look where they're at now in their NFL careers.

...crickets...

goingoneight
5/6/2012, 02:17 PM
Disagree... Kelly has had knee and hammy problems and likely would have went the way of Jeff Fuller and Adarius Bowman had he returned in 2008.
Reggie, from what a former player told me, just didn't want to come back.
Lofton has done just fine.

VA Sooner
5/6/2012, 02:27 PM
Lofton has done well. I was concerned about the Mike position when Rufus left but Lofton was a solid linebacker in the middle... maybe even better.

Kelly would never have done better had he stayed... knee and hammy problems that followed him to the Redskins.

Reggie... I'm not sure yet. He had some moments last year when he had the opportunity... mostly in the playoffs with pass breakups and an INT. We'll see... he's heading to Miami, right?

BigJerm7
5/7/2012, 08:02 AM
It was Vulnerables fault.

Fraggle145
5/7/2012, 08:42 AM
Was never that impressed with Smith.

Curly Bill
5/7/2012, 08:44 AM

This^^^^^^

I don't know that another year at OU would have helped???

texaspokieokie
5/7/2012, 09:17 AM
how bout if AD had stayed another year ??

Curly Bill
5/7/2012, 09:19 AM
how bout if AD had stayed another year ??

Wouldn't have helped AD either - he was as good as we were going to make him.

texaspokieokie
5/7/2012, 10:37 AM
would've helped OU yho.

BoulderSooner79
5/7/2012, 01:55 PM
would've helped OU yho.

^This. I've wondered if AD would have known how good Sam would be as a RS FR if he would have come back for his final year.

Curly Bill
5/7/2012, 01:57 PM
Why any RB that could get paid would consider coming back is beyond me. Those guys have a limited number of years/carries in em.

I like to think AD's smart enough he woulda gone and got his ($$$).

BoulderSooner79
5/7/2012, 02:11 PM
Why any RB that could get paid would consider coming back is beyond me. Those guys have a limited number of years/carries in em.

I like to think AD's smart enough he woulda gone and got his ($$$).

Probably would have. But he sounded genuinely torn duing the decision process and that was when our QB position was totally up in the air. AD is very driven and I believe he really wanted another chance at the Heisman. But with no returning QB, it was hard to predict OU being good enough to support a Heisman winner let alone a MNC run. If AD ran for OU like he did for the NFL that year, he would have been a shoe-in. And there is no way we lose to CU and AD probably doesn't fumble on the first play at TT getting Sam hurt. But of course a zillion other things could have gone wrong instead, so I'll keep my time machine in storage.

sooneron
5/7/2012, 02:37 PM
Kind of silly thing to say considering he never had time to acclimate to the position he was suited for (CB)...

He only changed positions two times in his three years...

Fraggle145
5/7/2012, 03:16 PM
Kind of silly thing to say considering he never had time to acclimate to the position he was suited for (CB)...

He only changed positions two times in his three years...

Colvin hasnt seemed to have a problem. Granted it is only once in 2 years, but if he goes back to CB it'll be the same deal.

texaspokieokie
5/7/2012, 04:31 PM

I like to think AD's smart enough he woulda gone and got his ($$$).I agree, Billy Sims shouldn't have come back for his last (5th) season.

sooneron
5/8/2012, 10:39 AM
Colvin hasnt seemed to have a problem. Granted it is only once in 2 years, but if he goes back to CB it'll be the same deal.

Yeah and he hasn't switched twice, so that makes no sense. Some guys are built for a certain position where they can succeed at a high level. Some guys can do pretty well at a few things. Sort of the jack of all trades dealio.

OU_Sooners75
5/8/2012, 10:41 AM
Tough to say. Remember that Travis Lewis was projected to go in the second round last year but went later this year. :(

Thats because he had an injury that really has effected him and I am not sure he is completely healed.

Not only that, but T. Lewis is nothing more than mouth of the south...the guy talks a great game, but that is just about it.

BarryBnds
5/17/2012, 10:24 AM
Reggie Smith and Jimmy Wilkerson come to mind as guys that would've improved if they had stayed.

SoonerSpock
5/20/2012, 08:10 PM
Were ifs and buts candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas. Reggie left when Reggie left and that was the end of it. What if is not worthy of the discussion nor the speculation of the what if.

starclassic tama
5/21/2012, 10:13 AM
Were ifs and buts candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas. Reggie left when Reggie left and that was the end of it. What if is not worthy of the discussion nor the speculation of the what if.message boards wouldn't exist if it weren't for these types of discussions. so we should only talk about what actually happened and never speculate?