PDA

View Full Version : With a new XII commissioner how long before we try

Dan Thompson
5/4/2012, 11:38 AM
joining the PAC-12 again?

KantoSooner
5/4/2012, 11:44 AM
Or maybe help ASU and AU find a new home and become the first coast-to-coast (almost) conference.

Seamus
5/4/2012, 12:09 PM
I was bitterly disappointed when we allowed the Pac-14 deal to slip by.

ouflak
5/4/2012, 12:20 PM
I was happy that the PAC-whatever thing turned out to be pipe dream. Disappointed about the SEC possibility not coming to any fruition though. I don't think they would bring in this kind of guy if they were thinking about the Big XII folding in 6 years. I might be wrong though.

OULenexaman
5/4/2012, 12:37 PM
I'm with flak

badger
5/4/2012, 01:24 PM
I was happy that the PAC-whatever thing turned out to be pipe dream. Disappointed about the SEC possibility not coming to any fruition though. I don't think they would bring in this kind of guy if they were thinking about the Big XII folding in 6 years. I might be wrong though.

The survival of the conference depends on the TV dealios we're about to negotiate, both as a conference and as individual schools. I think they found a guy that can make the biggest, most awesome deal for the conference happen.

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2012, 01:31 PM
What? badger, do you actually know something about the guy?

PalmettoSooner
5/4/2012, 02:20 PM
I mentioned it before....but Clemson and FSU fans are talking about wanting to join the Big 12. Now these are all rumors but if the Big 12 did expand...those two wouldn't be a bad pickup...

8timechamps
5/4/2012, 02:30 PM
I mentioned it before....but Clemson and FSU fans are talking about wanting to join the Big 12. Now these are all rumors but if the Big 12 did expand...those two wouldn't be a bad pickup...

That rumor is picking up steam. A Clemson "insider" posted that the conversations between FSU/Clemson and the Big XII are already underway...who knows if that's true, but the more I think about it, the more that addition would make sense.

Gives WVU regional games.
The ACC is a step-down, and with the real possibility of the 4 team playoff including conference champions, the ACC is the odd-man out (PAC, B1G, SEC, Big XII).
FSU & Clemson would be much better additions than Louisville and Cincy.

Would very much like to see this happen.

PalmettoSooner
5/4/2012, 03:28 PM
That rumor is picking up steam. A Clemson "insider" posted that the conversations between FSU/Clemson and the Big XII are already underway...who knows if that's true, but the more I think about it, the more that addition would make sense.

Gives WVU regional games.
The ACC is a step-down, and with the real possibility of the 4 team playoff including conference champions, the ACC is the odd-man out (PAC, B1G, SEC, Big XII).
FSU & Clemson would be much better additions than Louisville and Cincy.

Would very much like to see this happen.

It all has been rumors...I believe a blogger from a WV site started talking about it and it rolled down hill to Clemson and FSU fans. No legit sources has confirmed any of this. The lastest I heard was the Big 12 "was" looking at Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami, and maybe Maryland. Then I heard about Louisville, Cincy, and maybe ND. To me, IMO, for the Big 12 to go out and get some of these teams...I believe they will need to pick up 4 of them. The reason is the geographic locations or balance it out to help out WVU. I could see picking up Clemson and FSU along with GT and Miami or Lousiville and GT (you get the point). It is all rumors up to this point but you never know what will happen in the next year or so.

Widescreen
5/4/2012, 05:45 PM
I doubt our new commissioner's first priority is trying to put himself out of a job.

SoonerorLater
5/4/2012, 06:13 PM
It all has been rumors...I believe a blogger from a WV site started talking about it and it rolled down hill to Clemson and FSU fans. No legit sources has confirmed any of this. The lastest I heard was the Big 12 "was" looking at Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami, and maybe Maryland. Then I heard about Louisville, Cincy, and maybe ND. To me, IMO, for the Big 12 to go out and get some of these teams...I believe they will need to pick up 4 of them. The reason is the geographic locations or balance it out to help out WVU. I could see picking up Clemson and FSU along with GT and Miami or Lousiville and GT (you get the point). It is all rumors up to this point but you never know what will happen in the next year or so.

I think the football-centric ACC schools ex Miami are the logical targets, especially Clemson and FSU. All of this will be predicated on television contract money. If they can get the rumored amounts of money it will happen.

picasso
5/4/2012, 07:36 PM
How long before the rednecks start griping about realignment again......doh.

Ruf/Nek7
5/5/2012, 07:02 AM
To continue on the Clemson/FSU rumor mill, I had read that nothing would really start taking place, in regards to expansion, until the Big 12 got a new commissioner. I've also read that its going to be tough to lure them away due to two reasons. A.) The supposed new tv deal with ESPN is determined on whether Clemson and FSU are going to be Big 12 members. FSU took a significant loss in revenue last year and would have a hard time paying the exit fees. B) the presidents of Clemson and FSU may veto a move due to academics similar to Boren shutting down SEC talks saying "it was a pure football move". Points to ponder.

SoonerorLater
5/5/2012, 03:14 PM
To continue on the Clemson/FSU rumor mill, I had read that nothing would really start taking place, in regards to expansion, until the Big 12 got a new commissioner. I've also read that its going to be tough to lure them away due to two reasons. A.) The supposed new tv deal with ESPN is determined on whether Clemson and FSU are going to be Big 12 members. FSU took a significant loss in revenue last year and would have a hard time paying the exit fees. B) the presidents of Clemson and FSU may veto a move due to academics similar to Boren shutting down SEC talks saying "it was a pure football move". Points to ponder.

I would bet the Big 12 could deal on the exit fees. The rest of the Big 12 members could pony up the exit fees or at least partially cover them with the increased TV revenue and come out ahead even in the short term. It will be pricey though. As far as it being a football move, you can call it what you want but the very reason for these two schools to move is football. Rumor would have it that their TV revenue could more than double. Makes it very hard to say no.

Ruf/Nek7
5/5/2012, 06:27 PM
I would bet the Big 12 could deal on the exit fees. The rest of the Big 12 members could pony up the exit fees or at least partially cover them with the increased TV revenue and come out ahead even in the short term. It will be pricey though. As far as it being a football move, you can call it what you want but the very reason for these two schools to move is football. Rumor would have it that their TV revenue could more than double. Makes it very hard to say no.

I agree, money speaks louder than words and with the increased money they will get, they can bolster their education. If I am Fsu and Clemson, it's a no brainer.

PalmettoSooner
5/6/2012, 01:30 PM

Talking to some Clemson fans...they say that they can cover majority or all of the exit fees. I don't know how true that is.

SoonerorLater
5/6/2012, 05:29 PM
Talking to some Clemson fans...they say that they can cover majority or all of the exit fees. I don't know how true that is.

It's hard to pin down exact numbers but TV revenue is about 13-15 million for each ACC school currently. ACC exit penalty is 20 million and the new "rumored" numbers would be about 30 million for each Big 12 school. So even if Clemson and FSU had to pony up the entire amount they would be in the black in less than two years. If these numbers are close to right then it seems like a deal could get done. Likely sooner than later.

PalmettoSooner
5/6/2012, 06:23 PM
It's hard to pin down exact numbers but TV revenue is about 13-15 million for each ACC school currently. ACC exit penalty is 20 million and the new "rumored" numbers would be about 30 million for each Big 12 school. So even if Clemson and FSU had to pony up the entire amount they would be in the black in less than two years. If these numbers are close to right then it seems like a deal could get done. Likely sooner than later.

This is from David Ubben (ESPN's Big 12 blogger) friday. Somebody asked him about Clemson and FSU and this is what he said.

Pete in Paw Paw, Mich., wrote: Your take on the FSU and Clemson expansion rumors?

DU: I get asked this a lot. I don't believe them. I haven't seen any reputable media outlet write anything that's given them any legs. That said, rumors have persisted for months and refuse to go away. Does that say something? Nothing's impossible.

Chuck Bao
5/6/2012, 07:12 PM
I don't get it. The ACC has major media markets and should be able to get its own major TV contracts. I really don't like this switch conference affiliation in one or two years because another conference offers more money. Money is corrupting a sport that I love and the other athletes and sports fans have to pay the price. It is obscene.

PalmettoSooner
5/6/2012, 07:21 PM
I don't get it. The ACC has major media markets and should be able to get its own major TV contracts. I really don't like this switch conference affiliation in one or two years because another conference offers more money. Money is corrupting a sport that I love and the other athletes and sports fans have to pay the price. It is obscene.

The ACC is more of a basketball conference than a football conference, IMO. They do have some big media markets but the teams in those markets suck with the excepting of a few. For instance, BC in Boston. Huge market but BC is not a powerhouse in football or basketball and nobody has a large interest in them. Plus its hard to compete in a Pro sports town. I agree that money is all that matters now but that is the world we live in now.

Chuck Bao
5/6/2012, 07:58 PM
The ACC is more of a basketball conference than a football conference, IMO. They do have some big media markets but the teams in those markets suck with the excepting of a few. For instance, BC in Boston. Huge market but BC is not a powerhouse in football or basketball and nobody has a large interest in them. Plus its hard to compete in a Pro sports town. I agree that money is all that matters now but that is the world we live in now.

I get that. But some of the ACC schools are large and should have a very sizable alum support even if they do suck in football.

Florida State - 40,000 enrollment
Maryland - 37,000
North Carolina State - 34,000
Virginia Tech - 30,000
North Carolina - 29,000
Clemson - 19,000

Okay, I see your point. North Texas is the fourth largest university in Texas behind Texas, A&M, Tech with an enrollment of 33,000, bigger than OU. The Mean Green may not be world beaters but they do have a spiffy new stadium. I'm gonna be quiet now.

Edmond Sooner
5/6/2012, 10:15 PM
I was bitterly disappointed when we allowed the Pac-14 deal to slip by.

Me too. And I never saw one legitimate criticism against joining it, other than "it'll keep me up too late." Probably because there wasn't one - a really legitimate argument against going other than the marginal one aforementioned - and a good many reasons why we should've. The University of Texas is proud of us for staying, and that pretty much says it all.

OU_Sooners75
5/6/2012, 10:19 PM
I get that. But some of the ACC schools are large and should have a very sizable alum support even if they do suck in football.

Florida State - 40,000 enrollment
Maryland - 37,000
North Carolina State - 34,000
Virginia Tech - 30,000
North Carolina - 29,000
Clemson - 19,000

Okay, I see your point. North Texas is the fourth largest university in Texas behind Texas, A&M, Tech with an enrollment of 33,000, bigger than OU. The Mean Green may not be world beaters but they do have a spiffy new stadium. I'm gonna be quiet now.

Enrollment size has nothing to do with this.

Football is king in college. Just like the Big east, the ACC is a basketball conference, they have been since their formation back in the 1953.

What all this realignment is about is a media mogul (in this case ESPN) seeing major dollar signs. So they will push and drive decisions behind the scenes. And right now, there is a lot of smoke about the Big 12 being at 12 teams by 2013 with the two newest teams being Clemson and Florida State.

The problem with the ACC football, it sucks for the most part. So the networks are not slobbering to get in on their Tier 1 or Tier 2 rights to give them a ton of cash.