PDA

View Full Version : The Avengers

Frozen Sooner
5/4/2012, 07:53 AM
Two thumbs enthusiastically up. Several comic geek-out moments, but not so many that you would need to know the comics to enjoy the movie. Very well-written with absolutely great back-and-forth between the characters.

They finally got Hulk right.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/4/2012, 08:43 AM
Two thumbs enthusiastically up. Several comic geek-out moments, but not so many that you would need to know the comics to enjoy the movie. Very well-written with absolutely great back-and-forth between the characters.

They finally got Hulk right.

Mark Ruffalo as Hulk. He's good in romantic comedies, so he must have a wide acting range.

Wishboned
5/4/2012, 12:54 PM
I bought my tickets for Sunday night at the IMAX.

Taking my grandson, and making sure he knows how lucky he is. When I was his age we only dreamed they would make movies like this.

delhalew
5/6/2012, 08:24 PM
I loved it. The kids loved it. We immediately went to the local Wal-Mart so Lylah could get an Iron Man figure. Little Gibby chose Captain America. Daddy ordered a Hulk figure online...because he is a gigantic child.

Good times.

Wishboned
5/6/2012, 10:41 PM
And two scenes at the end. One mid credits, one post credits.

The first one almost made me leap out of my chair.

picasso
5/6/2012, 11:15 PM
Mark Ruffalo as Hulk. He's good in romantic comedies, so he must have a wide acting range.
He was great in Collateral. Judging by the recent interview with the cast in Entertainment Mag. it was obvious they got along well on the set.

yermom
5/7/2012, 02:29 AM
saw it at the IMAX at the Warren in 3D. all the shows were sold out. didn't figure it would still be like that on Sunday

i had no idea Joss Wheden directed and wrote the screenplay. that's nuts.

i thought it was really good. that format was visually incredible. some of the quick cuts and the 3D didn't work that well, but overall it was great

it was pretty cool how they set up the movie the way they did. that seems like a big risk. not needing a lot of backstory to get started was pretty cool though, considering how long it already was

the trailers for The Hobbit, Dark Knight Rises and Spiderman all looked really good as well

Frozen Sooner
5/7/2012, 07:31 AM
And two scenes at the end. One mid credits, one post credits.

The first one almost made me leap out of my chair.

I just hope that this doesn't mean they'll introduce a particular hero in the next movie. Somehow, I don't think people will go for a hero whose power is basically date rape.

However, much more likely if they introduce a new hero for the second one it will be Captain Mar-Vell

Hot Rod
5/7/2012, 08:00 AM
Taking my boys today after work. We figured we wouldn't be able to see it on Friday due to it being sold out, had a busy day Friday, tried on Sunday, but the majority of the shows were sold out.

I like what I'm hearing as far as the reviews and looks like they'll be pleased with the movie.

Wishboned
5/7/2012, 09:35 AM
I just hope that this doesn't mean they'll introduce a particular hero in the next movie. Somehow, I don't think people will go for a hero whose power is basically date rape.

However, much more likely if they introduce a new hero for the second one it will be Captain Mar-Vell

Mar-Vell would be cool. Go a little cosmic.

I'm wondering if they'll have the big bad throw another villain at them in the next movie, and set up a big showdown for the third.

ouleaf
5/7/2012, 09:59 AM
Mar-Vell would be cool. Go a little cosmic.

I'm wondering if they'll have the big bad throw another villain at them in the next movie, and set up a big showdown for the third.

If you stick around after the credits they give a hint of who the next villain will be, Thanos. Assuming that is who they go with then Captain Marvel would make a nice addition to the team in the next Avengers film.

Frozen Sooner
5/7/2012, 10:11 AM
If you stick around after the credits they give a hint of who the next villain will be, Thanos. Assuming that is who they go with then Captain Marvel would make a nice addition to the team in the next Avengers film.

Yep. It'd also be a good introduction to the Kree-Skrull War. I also dug how they made the Skrulls the major villain while using the name Chitauri.

RacerX
5/7/2012, 01:18 PM
PUNY GOD!

Wishboned
5/7/2012, 04:23 PM

Yeah I saw that. That's why I mentioned in my post above it almost made me jump out of my seat.

But what I was wondering is if he will send another villain after them, like he did with Loki in this movie, in the second, before setting up a final showdown with all of them in a third movie.

This also ties in nicely with Thor when in the background of one of the scenes you can see The Infinity Gauntlet

GDC
5/7/2012, 05:09 PM
To me it's not the Avengers without the Vision and Scarlet Witch. Bringing on the cosmic guys you mentioned would help make up for it though.

How the hell do you do spoiler tags?

tulsaoilerfan
5/7/2012, 09:48 PM
Its been too damn long since i read the comic book to keep up with all the bad guys but i thought it was a really good movie; BTW, ScarJo is HOTTTTTT

yermom
5/7/2012, 10:44 PM
To me it's not the Avengers without the Vision and Scarlet Witch. Bringing on the cosmic guys you mentioned would help make up for it though.

quote this post

like this

GDC
5/8/2012, 11:09 AM
quote this post

like this

Ok, thanks. I was using "spoiler". And yes, I haven't seen the movie yet but am stoked at even a mention of Thanos.

Frozen Sooner
5/8/2012, 11:20 AM

I don't think that Disney has the film rights to Scarlet Witch, since she was an X-Men character first.

RacerX
5/10/2012, 08:33 AM

What are you talking about?

soonerboy_odanorth
5/10/2012, 11:18 AM
What are you talking about?

Wondering the same...

But for next Avengers (surely there will be one) I was thinking a lil' New Avengers twist... 'lil assist maybe from Spidey? Wolverine? Storm?

BBQ Man
5/10/2012, 01:51 PM
This movie looks great! I can't wait to revert back to a little kid once I cross the doors at the theater (even though it would have been curtains instead of doors back then) and have a blast with this movie!!!

RacerX
5/10/2012, 03:27 PM
Wondering the same...

But for next Avengers (surely there will be one) I was thinking a lil' New Avengers twist... 'lil assist maybe from Spidey? Wolverine? Storm?

Starfox

http://mancavedaily.newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/01/the-worst-avengers-ever/

Penguin
5/10/2012, 04:54 PM
Why haven't they made a sequel to Ri¢hie Ri¢h?

8timechamps
5/12/2012, 07:43 PM
I purposely stayed away from any talk about this movie...so not to have any expectations.

The Avengers was my favorite comic as a kid (even followed Iron Man to the West Coast Avengers). Couldn't wait to take the kids to see it.

Un-freakin'-believable! By far the best super-hero movie I have seen. I've seen all the movies that led up to this one (almost skipped Thor, glad I didn't though...not that you have to see it to follow this one, but it certainly helped).

The little old lady that takes the tickets at my theater told me to "wait until the credits, there's a little something extra..." Glad I did.

I always thought that "The Other" was the leader of the Chitauri...but I heard a lot of folks calling him Thanos. I haven't read comics in a long time, but I always thought that Thanos and "The Other" were two separate villains? Are they the same, or did Marvel just kinda blend the two for the purpose of the movie?

Wishboned
5/12/2012, 10:53 PM
I purposely stayed away from any talk about this movie...so not to have any expectations.

The Avengers was my favorite comic as a kid (even followed Iron Man to the West Coast Avengers). Couldn't wait to take the kids to see it.

Un-freakin'-believable! By far the best super-hero movie I have seen. I've seen all the movies that led up to this one (almost skipped Thor, glad I didn't though...not that you have to see it to follow this one, but it certainly helped).

The little old lady that takes the tickets at my theater told me to "wait until the credits, there's a little something extra..." Glad I did.

I always thought that "The Other" was the leader of the Chitauri...but I heard a lot of folks calling him Thanos. I haven't read comics in a long time, but I always thought that Thanos and "The Other" were two separate villains? Are they the same, or did Marvel just kinda blend the two for the purpose of the movie?

The Other was the one reporting to Thanos.

delhalew
5/12/2012, 11:06 PM
Is the redacting really necessary? If you haven't seen the movie, don't read the thread.

8timechamps
5/13/2012, 09:47 PM
The Other was the one reporting to Thanos.

Gotcha. Makes more sense now. Thanks!

8timechamps
5/13/2012, 09:48 PM
Is the redacting really necessary? If you haven't seen the movie, don't read the thread.

Not necessary, just a courtesy...in case someone that hasn't seen it reads something that could ruin it.

delhalew
5/13/2012, 10:44 PM
OK...so I just figured out I can read it if I highlight it. Now do you understand why I thought you were all effin' crazy?

8timechamps
5/14/2012, 03:05 PM
OK...so I just figured out I can read it if I highlight it. Now do you understand why I thought you were all effin' crazy?

Yeah, that would clear it up. Welcome to the club :D

Penguin
5/16/2012, 06:24 PM
Just saw the movie. I'm still picking up the pieces of what used to be my brain.

Just one question. I never read the comics, so maybe you folks may know. Why exactly did Loki decide to attack Earth? Just because he's a bad guy? If all he wanted was the glowing blue box of death, he got that in the first 5 minutes.

8timechamps
5/16/2012, 08:42 PM
Just saw the movie. I'm still picking up the pieces of what used to be my brain.

Just one question. I never read the comics, so maybe you folks may know. Why exactly did Loki decide to attack Earth? Just because he's a bad guy? If all he wanted was the glowing blue box of death, he got that in the first 5 minutes.

Not from the comics, but my interpretation is that it had more to do with hurting Thor than anything.

Penguin
5/20/2012, 04:58 PM
I just re-watched the Captain America movie. This may be a no-duh for the comic book fans, but I don't the Red Skull is dead. The Avengers clearly showed that the Tesseract is a doorway. When I first saw the Captain America movie, I just assumed he was dead. Now, I think he was beamed away and that we will probably see him again in a later movie.

I Am Right
5/20/2012, 09:02 PM
When there was a flying invisable air craft carrier, I was done!

achiro
5/20/2012, 10:31 PM
So a dude that turns into a giant green monster or the hammer wielding God didn't clue you in on the theme of the movie?

Blue
5/21/2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, not to be a downer or anything,.....Buuuut I thought it was pretty corny. There were some funny parts, special effects were off the charts, and scarlet J was lookin preety fine but all in all i give it a big two thumbs MEH. I know its meant to be a "fun" kinda flick and it was. I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane but its a renter as long as you are not a comic book fanboy like the tards that gave the movie a standing O at our showing.

8timechamps
5/21/2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, not to be a downer or anything,.....Buuuut I thought it was pretty corny. There were some funny parts, special effects were off the charts, and scarlet J was lookin preety fine but all in all i give it a big two thumbs MEH. I know its meant to be a "fun" kinda flick and it was. I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane but its a renter as long as you are not a comic book fanboy like the tards that gave the movie a standing O at our showing.

HAHAHAHA!

I've never understood why anyone claps at the end of a movie. I always though the reason for applause was to let the performer know that you appreciated his/her/their performance. Why in the hell are you clapping at an inanimate movie screen?!

8timechamps
5/21/2012, 03:00 PM

What?! So you were expecting a documentary super hero movie?

yermom
5/21/2012, 03:07 PM

this image is too big, but i'm posting it anyway :D

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/maxt384/BuzzKillington.jpg

8timechamps
5/21/2012, 03:08 PM
BLUE SUCKS! ;)

C&CDean
5/21/2012, 03:26 PM
You know how out of touch I am? I thought this flick was about the TV show The Avengers. Also, I considered myself fairly knowledgeable on comics and such growing up, but the only ones I knew about back then was stuff like Superman, Batman, Sgt. Rock, Hulk, Captain America, Wonder Woman, and all the Archie/Jughead/Veronica/Betty stuff.

Prolly wait for it to come out on DVD.

yermom
5/21/2012, 03:38 PM
if you like the immersive experience of a trip to the cinema, and you like flicks like that, i'd check it out at the IMAX

it's one of those movies that is worth seeing in the theater. i think it would lose a lot watching at home, thought not as much as Avatar. I'd say Avatar wasn't worth watching at home, but in 3D in a good theater it was pretty amazing visually. at home, i'm thinking it would be pretty meh. Avengers would still be a fun flick at home, just not as awesome.

Blue
5/21/2012, 07:00 PM
this image is too big, but i'm posting it anyway :D

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/maxt384/BuzzKillington.jpg

Haha. Yeah thats kinda what I was going for. All in all it was a good flick.