PDA

View Full Version : Colt's Daddy's mouth gets him canned

colleyvillesooner
5/3/2012, 03:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/report-brad-mccoys-comments-sealed-colts-fate-in-cleveland/

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Even in the pros, those longhorns are good for a laugh.

What an idiot.

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 03:04 PM
I get the "concerned parent" thing, but calling the school to let them know your kid is sick is one thing, calling your son's employer is another.

Sounds like McCoy Sr. is full of himself. Tool.

budbarrybob
5/3/2012, 03:08 PM
Let me answer that one for Chris

edit: However, after reading the "comments," its not like he called the front office to complain, he was telling a reporter his assessment at the time which was probably accurate.

Ultimately he's a short whorn so... Bwahahahahaha

setem
5/3/2012, 03:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/report-brad-mccoys-comments-sealed-colts-fate-in-cleveland/

REDREX
5/3/2012, 03:56 PM
I watched the Texas spring game----I hope his little brother stays at Texas

Statalyzer
5/3/2012, 05:14 PM
calling your son's employer is another.

Did you make that part up? It's not like Brad got on his cell, reached somebody important in the organization, and started chewing people out. And it's not like Colt sent his daddy to do something for him - most likely if he'd known what was going to happen he would have asked his Dad to just keep his mouth shut about it. There are some rumors going around that Brad has been a bit of pain with regard to Case's playing time too, so he does seem like a tool.

But if Cleveland's front office is so thin-skinned that they get their panties in a wad because one parent said something to a reporter (something that, while he shouldn't have said it, was completely accurate), then they shouldn't be involved in professional sports in the first place. After all, one of the best all-time linebackers and an apparent all-around good guy, not at all the type you'd expect to get severely depressed after retirement b/c his identity was nothing but football or anything like that, just offed himself most likely due to the after-effect of concussions. So somebody sure needed to call Cleveland out.

The real question is now how many other parents of Browns' players are going to call out the team so their sons won't have to play for this shambles of an franchise either.

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 07:50 PM
Did you make that part up? It's not like Brad got on his cell, reached somebody important in the organization, and started chewing people out. And it's not like Colt sent his daddy to do something for him - most likely if he'd known what was going to happen he would have asked his Dad to just keep his mouth shut about it. There are some rumors going around that Brad has been a bit of pain with regard to Case's playing time too, so he does seem like a tool.

But if Cleveland's front office is so thin-skinned that they get their panties in a wad because one parent said something to a reporter (something that, while he shouldn't have said it, was completely accurate), then they shouldn't be involved in professional sports in the first place. After all, one of the best all-time linebackers and an apparent all-around good guy, not at all the type you'd expect to get severely depressed after retirement b/c his identity was nothing but football or anything like that, just offed himself most likely due to the after-effect of concussions. So somebody sure needed to call Cleveland out.

The real question is now how many other parents of Browns' players are going to call out the team so their sons won't have to play for this shambles of an franchise either.

Good God man, let me clarify what I meant, and keep in mind that 1) I wasn't there and (more importantly) 2) I don't really give a flying ****. My comment was for comparative purposes. I don't know (and don't care) if he called the front office or made a comment to a passer-by.

Also, Colt is a big boy. He really doesn't need "Brad" (assuming that's his dad...again, I really don't give a ****) calling out his son's employer.

This was a humorous story, but really Statalyzer, you put way too much effort in your reply.

5/3/2012, 08:54 PM
I remember Archie Manning getting pub for meddling in his son's NFL carrier.

Once a coach, always a coach, I suppose.

70sooner
5/3/2012, 10:10 PM
This was a humorous story, but really Statalyzer, you put way too much effort in your reply.

dunno, but maybe way back, in the deep, dark and fetid recesses of his mind, he knows just how bad Texass is going to suck this year, and he's fighting the good fight now??????

AlboSooner
5/3/2012, 10:46 PM
The Browns used that as an excuse or they are clueless. You don't get rid of a player because of what his parents say, unless you had planned to get rid of that player before the parents even spoke.

SoCalBigRed
5/3/2012, 11:40 PM
I watched the Texas spring game----I hope his little brother stays at Texas

Haha! I share the sentiment.

BoulderSooner79
5/4/2012, 12:23 AM
The Browns used that as an excuse or they are clueless. You don't get rid of a player because of what his parents say, unless you had planned to get rid of that player before the parents even spoke.

^This. I seriously doubt the credibility of that story.

Augusta_Sooner
5/4/2012, 07:52 AM
It might not be a bad thing if McCoy ends up leaving Cleveland. Look at how the Browns operate: Their starting QB gets lit up by James Harrison via helmet-to-helmet collision and they send McCoy back into the game. Their excuse? "Ummm, our trainers and doctor(s) were attending to other players who were hurt". You'd think you're starting QB would have priority over just about anyone else in that situation. In the draft, they targeted Kendall Wright from Baylor, presumably to give McCoy another weapon since they drafted Richardson with the 3rd overall pick. But when the Titans selected him, the Browns decided to change starting QBs on the fly and drafted a guy who will be 29 yrs old by the time the season begins. Who does that? The Browns should have moved up a spot or two to ensure they could select Wright, especially when you consider that the Titans (who were drafting ahead of them) needed a WR. Richardson and Wright along with a mobile QB in McCoy would make more sense because you have more weapons on the field. Cribbs and Wright could have been a nice combination. I think the Browns either gave up too soon on McCoy or they overvalued Weedon, heck, maybe both.

jkjsooner
5/4/2012, 09:18 AM
Geez, guys. If Bradford was put in the same situation and his dad spoke outmost of you guys would be defending his dad. Some of you guys can't see past the word Longhorn.

badger
5/4/2012, 09:31 AM
Geez, guys. If Bradford was put in the same situation and his dad spoke outmost of you guys would be defending his dad. Some of you guys can't see past the word Longhorn.

We love Sammie, yes, but I don't think there's a lot of Sooners that hate Colt. He's one of the better whorns and a friend of Sammie's.

But... let's face it. Colt's wife had a bit of foot in mouth issues last offseason.

Linky (http://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/McCoy-s-wife-says-perks-everywhere-in-college-1528831.php)

I wonder if there wasn't more to Mack not playing Case more during the failboat 5-7 season... dealing with McCoys got to be too much for Macky?

The fact of the matter is that Colt was effective in college because he was accurate inside 10 yards and the whorn receivers could scramble for more yardage after the catch. While I admit that I have two girlie arms myself (probably a side effect of being a girl), Colt does NOT have the arm strength to make it in the Neffel... and doesn't appear to have the durability, either.

In any event, I wish him nothing but the best. He seems like a nice guy and remembering the fat walrus Holmgren from Green Bay days (leaving after we name a street after you? eff you forever, loser), I can totally see him dumping a player for a stupid reason. He did nothing but glare when he was on the sidelines. 100 percent glare. No smiling ever.

SoonerAtKU
5/4/2012, 09:40 AM
Yes, if this was the first time that Brad McCoy had inadvertently pissed in his family's cereal, it'd be one thing. You all remember the reports about Bomar's dad and how we felt about that. This is the same thing, regardless of school affiliation.

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2012, 10:09 AM

I am in the camp of this is not the first time Brad McCoy has talked to/about the Browns, maybe just the first time to the press. Things like this are not usually isolated incidents. All just my opinion, but it reeks of too involved parent. Not saying he shouldn't be involved if his kids health is at stake, but there is no reason to talk to the press about it.

Curly Bill
5/4/2012, 10:14 AM
If Daddy McCoy is like many Texas high school football coaches he has an overinflated sense of self-worth. I'm sure he thought the Browns would welcome his input.

AlboSooner
5/4/2012, 11:46 AM
I am in the camp of this is not the first time Brad McCoy has talked to/about the Browns, maybe just the first time to the press. Things like this are not usually isolated incidents. All just my opinion, but it reeks of too involved parent. Not saying he shouldn't be involved if his kids health is at stake, but there is no reason to talk to the press about it.

This is a good point.

A franchise hungry for success in a tough division, would not get rid of a valuable player because of what the parent said to the media. They can afford to cut him now, and used the daddy jabber to get rid of him. This is a case of selective sensitivity.

OULenexaman
5/4/2012, 12:46 PM
after reading this I still don't give a ****.

badger
5/4/2012, 01:21 PM
If Daddy McCoy is like many Texas high school football coaches he has an overinflated sense of self-worth. I'm sure he thought the Browns would welcome his input.

Not that I wish the family ill will or am still bitter about Big Red or anything, but can you imagine if Rhett Bomar wasn't just some late draft pick from an I-AA school, but rather, in Sammie's position as the Heisman, top pick from perennial powerhouse quarterback? We would have NEVER heard the end of Jerry Bomar in the media.

Curly Bill
5/4/2012, 01:48 PM
Not that I wish the family ill will or am still bitter about Big Red or anything, but can you imagine if Rhett Bomar wasn't just some late draft pick from an I-AA school, but rather, in Sammie's position as the Heisman, top pick from perennial powerhouse quarterback? We would have NEVER heard the end of Jerry Bomar in the media.

Jerry Bomar is a great example of the overinflated Texas high school football coach. I actually know Jerry (we're not pals or anything), so I know how true this is. He is though one heck of a football coach - very knowledgeable.

SoonerorLater
5/4/2012, 02:16 PM
In the end it will probably help Mccoy to get out of that excuse for an NFL Franchise since he was going to be their backup QB anyway. He will be picked up by some other team and most likely spend the rest of his career as a backup QB. Really not a bad gig.

Ruf/Nek7
5/5/2012, 07:26 AM
In the end it will probably help Mccoy to get out of that excuse for an NFL Franchise since he was going to be their backup QB anyway. He will be picked up by some other team and most likely spend the rest of his career as a backup QB. Really not a bad gig.

Or he can stuck it out bc the new starting QB will retire in 5 years anyway.

BBQ Man
5/7/2012, 10:10 PM
Not a good PR move when the NFL is already getting beaten up over concussions. Colt should thank his dad if this means he can join another team.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/10/2012, 11:31 AM

So what's your point?

hornswaggled
5/11/2012, 01:05 AM
Maybe he can get a job in Holllywood where takes on the role of a gutsy player who repeatedly falls down out of bounds and thereby gets to the big game only to lose in the final minutes, because he cannot complete a pass. But, he learns the value of family when his father kisses him on the mouth at the end of the game and tells him he is proud.

Ruf/Nek7
5/12/2012, 08:36 AM
At this point, I am shocked no one has taken the thread heading and made a dirty little joke out of it. We are classy people.

Landthief 1972
5/14/2012, 03:56 PM
Sorry, but considering the research coming out lately regarding NFL concussions, Colt's dad had every right to raise hell. That kid had no business being back out on the field. Any of you with kids and any common sense at all would have done the same thing.

Curly Bill
5/15/2012, 07:40 AM
Sorry, but considering the research coming out lately regarding NFL concussions, Colt's dad had every right to raise hell. That kid had no business being back out on the field. Any of you with kids and any common sense at all would have done the same thing.

How old is this kid now? 24, 25 years old? With any luck maybe by the time he's 30 he'll be able to look after himself.

olevetonahill
5/15/2012, 07:46 AM
How old is this kid now? 24, 25 years old? With any luck maybe by the time he's 30 he'll be able to look after himself.

What ima thinkin ,

Curly Bill
5/15/2012, 07:48 AM
Helicopter parents...just one more thing wrong with the world!

badger
5/15/2012, 09:04 AM
Reports are that Colt is working very hard at team facilities to save his job.

Sorry, Colt, but the time to save your job was last year when an NFL team gave you the chance of a lifetime to be one of only 32 starting quarterbacks in the only professional football league in the world worth mentioning. You blew it, perhaps through no fault of your own, perhaps only because you just weren't blessed with NFL-caliber arm strength, perhaps because you just couldn't take NFL-caliber hits from defensive players, but for whatever reason, you blew your one chance. You're not a first round pick. You're not guaranteed a large amount of money from being a top free agent or a top draft pick. The franchise hasn't invested anything major in you, and thus, nobody is about to put their career on the line in the name of starting Colt McCoy at quarterback.

Now, Brandon Weeden on the other hand, they overdrafted him. They took his second-round talent in the first round. They absolutely need him to succeed and that means starting the old man from day one.

Don't be too sad, Colt. A career as a backup is not such a lousy gig. Ask Major Applewhite.

Major: WHY MACK WHY?! I sat behind Chrissy, I gave up my offensive coordinator job at Alabama to come back to Texas, and NOW you're making me backup to that Boise State scientologist?!?!?!?! WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!

On second thought, don't ask Major. Or your younger brother.

Case: GARRETT ****ING GILBERT AND NOW DAVID ****ING ASH?!? Don't you know that fans wanna see McCoy to Shipley live again?!?! Don't you?!?!?!

Oh boy... :mack:

badger
5/15/2012, 09:09 AM
Jokes aside, Weeden's arm is so strong compared to Colt's that ESPN had him throwing footballs at clay pidgeons.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=223&articleid=20120515_223_B2_CUTLIN288138)

8timechamps
5/15/2012, 02:20 PM

Thank you!

And FYI Landthief 1972, I'm a father of 2 boys, and I can promise you I will not be calling out their employers at 24-25 years old. But, then again, I'm not trying to live my dreams through my kids.

badger
5/15/2012, 03:48 PM
But, then again, I'm not trying to live my dreams through my kids.

You have to admit, it would be hard to not live your dreams through your kid if they made it to the NFL after being a four-year starter at one of the top programs in that state.*

* Most programs in that state admittedly suck.

8timechamps
5/15/2012, 04:46 PM
You have to admit, it would be hard to not live your dreams through your kid if they made it to the NFL after being a four-year starter at one of the top programs in that state.*

* Most programs in that state admittedly suck.

Being proud/happy/excited for your child, and living your dreams through them are very different. If my kid made it to the NFL (or reached the top in any field they choose), I would be the proudest parent in the world. However, if my grown kid can't stand up or speak out about the things that are important to him (physical well-being among those), then I've probably missed something in my parenting.

I don't know if you and NP will have more baby badgers, or if you'll introduce your child(ren) to sports (although I think it's not just sports), but you will spot the helicopter parents (typically dads) quickly. And what I've learned in my years of being a dad/coach is that 99% of those types of parents are reaching for something they failed to obtain as a child.

I don't profess to be a super parent, and I have certainly made my share of mistakes, but after my kids leave home, they are adults and my job as an active parent is over. It's how I was raised I guess.

badger
5/15/2012, 04:58 PM
I don't know if you and NP will have more baby badgers, or if you'll introduce your child(ren) to sports (although I think it's not just sports), but you will spot the helicopter parents (typically dads) quickly. And what I've learned in my years of being a dad/coach is that 99% of those types of parents are reaching for something they failed to obtain as a child.

Oh yes, badger herself had to participate in many things because badger's mommy didn't/couldn't/??? participate in such activities when she was young.

Not complaining, I just remember how it was :D

8timechamps
5/15/2012, 05:33 PM
Oh yes, badger herself had to participate in many things because badger's mommy didn't/couldn't/??? participate in such activities when she was young.

Not complaining, I just remember how it was :D

Just wait...it has a new meaning when you're the parent (not the helicopter parent, but the parent watching the helicopter parent...make sense?).

But, you also get to look forward to all the good stuff that awaits.