PDA

View Full Version : Draft surprises in your mind?

IGotNoTiming
5/3/2012, 08:36 AM
What player shocked you the most? Either going too high, going too low, or not being drafted?

I think Kellen Moore not getting picked up was a shock. Yeah played in a weak conference but was a giant killer in big games and did nothing but win...

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 08:47 AM
I wasn't shocked because peeps had been saying it would happen, but why anyone thinks Ryan Tannehill was worth a top-10 pick astounds me.

PalmettoSooner
5/3/2012, 08:51 AM
I thought Moore would have been drafted to. I figured he would have gone somewhere in the 5th to 7th rounds

PalmettoSooner
5/3/2012, 08:58 AM
I wasn't shocked because peeps had been saying it would happen, but why anyone thinks Ryan Tannehill was worth a top-10 pick astounds me.

I was surprise how obsessed the Miami was with Tannehill. Not saying he couldn't be a good QB in the NFL but he has not played QB that long. I also didn't see him as a top 10 pick

Other surprises:
-Ingram I thought would have gone sooner, maybe in the top 10 or 12 but I think he is a good fit with the chargers.
-Bruce Irvin going 15th to the seahawks
-I thought the Colts did a good job except for taking a TE in the second and third rounds

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 09:03 AM
The skins taking Cousins after they had already taken Griffin III.

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 09:09 AM
The skins taking Cousins after they had already taken Griffin III.

Oh yeah..Good one!

Does that mean there might be a shred of doubt about RGIII, or was Cousins too good to pass up at that spot? I think we know how the Skins will spin it but what is the truth?

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 09:11 AM
I was surprise how obsessed the Miami was with Tannehill. Not saying he couldn't be a good QB in the NFL but he has not played QB that long. I also didn't see him as a top 10 pick

Other surprises:
-Ingram I thought would have gone sooner, maybe in the top 10 or 12 but I think he is a good fit with the chargers.
-Bruce Irvin going 15th to the seahawks
-I thought the Colts did a good job except for taking a TE in the second and third rounds

He might turn out to be a great QB, but like you said he hasn't played there long enough, or is proven enough to warrant that high a pick, IMO.

Mississippi Sooner
5/3/2012, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah..Good one!

Does that mean there might be a shred of doubt about RGIII, or was Cousins too good to pass up at that spot? I think we know how the Skins will spin it but what is the truth?

I heard someone on the radio the other day say the Skins might have done that as future trade bait. Sorta like the Eagles did with Kevin Kolb. Have him hang around a couple years, step in a couple of games or if RGIII gets hurt, and then he could be worth a few draft picks later on when another team is desperate.

Of course, with the luck the Skins have had with can't miss quarterbacks, he just might find himself in the starting position with Washington before too long.

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 09:36 AM
I heard someone on the radio the other day say the Skins might have done that as future trade bait. Sorta like the Eagles did with Kevin Kolb. Have him hang around a couple years, step in a couple of games or if RGIII gets hurt, and then he could be worth a few draft picks later on when another team is desperate.

Of course, with the luck the Skins have had with can't miss quarterbacks, he just might find himself in the starting position with Washington before too long.

I'd heard that too, about trade bait down the road. I'm not sold on RGIII myself, so I could see Cousins end up being the man there, though he won't get that shot for a year or two no matter how RGIII plays.

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah..Good one!

Does that mean there might be a shred of doubt about RGIII, or was Cousins too good to pass up at that spot? I think we know how the Skins will spin it but what is the truth? This is a question better suited for STEP to answer as I wonder as much as you.

BoulderSooner79
5/3/2012, 10:03 AM
I was surprised and delighted (not shocked) that Broyles went in the 2nd and not the 3rd/4th.

The Colts taking Fleener in the 2nd did not surprise me. The guy is a freak and has been
rumored out here (I live near Stanford) that Fleener was the fastest guy on the team. It's
not a bad idea to give Luck a familiar target to get started - he's gonna need it.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/3/2012, 11:03 AM
I'd heard that too, about trade bait down the road. I'm not sold on RGIII myself, so I could see Cousins end up being the man there, though he won't get that shot for a year or two no matter how RGIII plays.

Cousins is somewhat similar to the draft move Dallas made a few years ago on Stephen McGee..Bring him in and put him on the roster..and get something for him potentially down the road as young backup quarterbacks are a hot item in the NFL over the last few years to move on elsewhere and become starters..Of course the McGee situation hasn't worked out like Dallas thought it would.

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 11:44 AM
Cousins is somewhat similar to the draft move Dallas made a few years ago on Stephen McGee..Bring him in and put him on the roster..and get something for him potentially down the road as young backup quarterbacks are a hot item in the NFL over the last few years to move on elsewhere and become starters..Of course the McGee situation hasn't worked out like Dallas thought it would.

Yup, McGee was major suckage!

...and lots of Dallas' picks haven't worked out like they thought they would! LOL

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 11:57 AM
McGee could put the suck in suckage.

Salt City Sooner
5/3/2012, 01:30 PM
Schaub & Cassel are two good examples of that strategy working, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if NE does the same thing with Mallett in a few years as well.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2012, 05:49 PM
Sherman and Tannahill had a special bond in that locker room. Sherman knew what kind of cologne Ryan liked. That's chemistry.

Continuing with the NTTAWWT comments, I was disappointed that broyles didn't go higher. He is amazing and had a great pro day. Yes I have crimson glasses on, but they have Maui Jim frames so **** you. If Willis McGahee goes in the forth, I would think that broyles could go a little higher than he did with those clutch hands.

SoonerorLater
5/3/2012, 06:16 PM
I was surprised that Jeff Fuller wasn't drafted. I know his stock dropped a bit but I didn't think he would fall off the table like this.

BoulderSooner79
5/3/2012, 06:36 PM
Sherman and Tannahill had a special bond in that locker room. Sherman knew what kind of cologne Ryan liked. That's chemistry.

Continuing with the NTTAWWT comments, I was disappointed that broyles didn't go higher. He is amazing and had a great pro day. Yes I have crimson glasses on, but they have Maui Jim frames so **** you. If Willis McGahee goes in the forth, I would think that broyles could go a little higher than he did with those clutch hands.

Certainly McGahee was huge injury risk compared to Broyles and many talking heads slammed the Bills for drafting him at all. But I have to agree with STEP that Broyles was likely a 2nd rounder even without the injury. Seems that teams will only draft WRs with their first pick if they are big bodies or have track speed. I wonder how high Wes Welker would have gone if teams knew how productive he would be?

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 07:42 PM
Moore going undrafted did mildly surprise me. As for Sooners, I was surprised to see Ronnell fall to the fourth round...not sure what happened there (thought he had a great combine), but we all know Ronnell isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so maybe that was it (STEP, thoughts?).

Tannehill is still a shock to me. I just can't see how a team takes a chance like that (and I'm a Broncos fan....trading UP to take Tebow was ****ing crazy) on a kid that has a grand total of 15 starts at the collegiate level. We'll see, maybe he'll end up the best of 'em all.

The Cousins pick was shocking too. I love Shanahan, but I think there's a certain level of dysfunction in Washington between Mike and his son. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

swardboy
5/3/2012, 09:02 PM
I hope the Rams did Sam a huge favor drafting Brian Quick from Appalachian State at WR. Sounds like they really did their homework finding him and working him out. He sure wowed them.

Curly Bill
5/4/2012, 07:27 AM
I was surprised that Jeff Fuller wasn't drafted. I know his stock dropped a bit but I didn't think he would fall off the table like this.

I noticed this as well. Oh well, he shoulda come to OU, so F em!

Augusta_Sooner
5/4/2012, 07:36 AM
I know he has some issues, but I was a little surprised that Vontaze Burfict (formerly Johnny 5 star) wasn't drafted. I think Ronnell Lewis not having a lot of experience at one position (DE or OLB) hurt him a little. He's projected as an OLB, but he has a lot to learn. Physically, he's just as gifted as any other OLB that was drafted, if not more.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2012, 11:19 AM
Certainly McGahee was huge injury risk compared to Broyles and many talking heads slammed the Bills for drafting him at all. But I have to agree with STEP that Broyles was likely a 2nd rounder even without the injury. Seems that teams will only draft WRs with their first pick if they are big bodies or have track speed. I wonder how high Wes Welker would have gone if teams knew how productive he would be?

Broyles with clutch hands? Yes definitely..The ability to create separation is probably the main issue and the fact that guys that aren't 1s or at least 2s are not 1st round receivers..

Physical wise with Ronnell, he is as good as any of the tweeners out there..I think the issue of him struggling to pick up the playbook at OU at LB had a little do with it and right now, he is seen as a situational player and not an every down guy...If a guy isn't perceived as an every down type player, then he slips no matter the physical side...His ST ability will put him on the roster and hopefully he can stick around long enough to nail down a position.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/4/2012, 11:23 AM
I know he has some issues, but I was a little surprised that Vontaze Burfict (formerly Johnny 5 star) wasn't drafted. I think Ronnell Lewis not having a lot of experience at one position (DE or OLB) hurt him a little. He's projected as an OLB, but he has a lot to learn. Physically, he's just as gifted as any other OLB that was drafted, if not more.

Everyone last year had Burfict has a 1st round pick..raw talent wise, maybe he is...But his horrible training, maybe tried to do too much this year and was out of position a good portion of the time...

I know he is the poster child to my argument that good defense isn't so much about the fire or intensity or whatever we as fans like to claim it is, but discipline...Maybe one of the most undiscipined players i have seen in the last 4 or 5 years.

SoonerorLater
5/4/2012, 02:11 PM

This guy is a bust just waiting to happen. after watching him play a few times I never could figure out what the big deal was. He was not an impact player no matter how many stars Rivals gave him.