PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Fiction

ouwasp
5/3/2012, 12:31 AM
A fun, guilty pleasure to indulge in. Like other Tarentino movies. Don't care for the 265 F-bombs, but talk about a perfect cast. Wish it had ended with those two white-trash robbers getting plugged. Samuel Jackson was a lot of fun to watch... trying to copy and paste a pic of him drinking the Sprite, can't get it done...

yermom
5/3/2012, 12:48 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4pBmaoufKvc/TVCBBYiUW1I/AAAAAAAAAQI/FsMAXgB-s34/s1600/howl00004.png

yermom
5/3/2012, 12:51 AM
when i first saw it, it was like nothing i had seen before

now i know a little more, and it's not quite as fresh, but still great

deeply influenced by French New Wave cinema

check out Breathless and Shoot the Piano Player

Seamus
5/3/2012, 01:02 AM
Great film. Needed more F-bombs, though.

diverdog
5/3/2012, 04:24 AM
Pulp Fiction
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee."

And if you heard that it meant your ***.

diverdog
5/3/2012, 04:27 AM
"Normally, both your asses would be dead as ****ing fried chicken, but you happen to pull this **** while I'm in a transitional period so I don't wanna kill you, I wanna help you. But I can't give you this case, it don't belong to me. Besides, I've already been through too much **** this morning over this case to hand it over to your dumb ***.
"

KantoSooner
5/3/2012, 08:25 AM
"..bring some pliers and blowtorches and go medieval on 'em.."

WA. Sooner
5/3/2012, 08:54 AM
Bring out the Gimp

delhalew
5/3/2012, 10:05 AM
"I want a pot".

"You wanna smoke some pot?"

Mississippi Sooner
5/3/2012, 10:06 AM
Did you just order a five dollar milkshake?

Turd_Ferguson
5/3/2012, 10:11 AM
Check out the big brain on Brett...

GDC
5/3/2012, 10:17 AM
Why is it a guilty pleasure? It's a classic.

As for the cast, I still wish Michael Madsen had played Vincent Vega instead of Travolta.

Tarantino's filming Django Unchained currently.

Mississippi Sooner
5/3/2012, 10:19 AM
Tarantino is one strange little dude, but as far as I'm concerned, he's a modern master when it comes to writing dialogue.

Turd_Ferguson
5/3/2012, 10:21 AM
You ain't my friend Palooka

What's that?

I think you heard me just fine, Punchy...

dwarthog
5/3/2012, 10:27 AM
Whose motorcycle is this?
It's a chopper, baby.
Whose chopper is this?
It's Zed's.
Who's Zed?
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

lexsooner
5/3/2012, 10:28 AM
The movie would have been better without Travolta, who sounded like his Welcome Back, Kotter, character, when talked about how bacon tasted "goooooood." Tarantino should have just stuck to writing and directing and avoided overacting in his cameo. Samuel L. Jackson owned that movie.

BillyBall
5/3/2012, 10:36 AM
"Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming mother****in' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?"

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 11:06 AM
Samuel L. Jackson owned that movie. Every movie he's done he's owned...

hawaii 5-0
5/3/2012, 11:15 AM
Sweet thread.

Mahalo for the quotes.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
5/3/2012, 12:06 PM
Sweet thread.

Mahalo for the quotes.

5-0Honi ko'u 'elemu :chuncky:

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 12:09 PM
How much would you all hate and ridicule me if I say I don't get it, and don't know that I like anything associated with Tarentino?

yermom
5/3/2012, 12:13 PM
The movie would have been better without Travolta, who sounded like his Welcome Back, Kotter, character, when talked about how bacon tasted "goooooood." Tarantino should have just stuck to writing and directing and avoided overacting in his cameo. Samuel L. Jackson owned that movie.

Jules Pitt is not a man to be ****ed with.

yermom
5/3/2012, 12:17 PM
How much would you all hate and ridicule me if I say I don't get it, and don't know that I like anything associated with Tarentino?

deeply and incessantly

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 12:19 PM
deeply and incessantly

I figured as much, and would be disappointed with anything less.

lexsooner
5/3/2012, 12:21 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4pBmaoufKvc/TVCBBYiUW1I/AAAAAAAAAQI/FsMAXgB-s34/s1600/howl00004.png

Check out those cold, dead eyes of a psychopath. Samuel L. Jackson is nothing short of a great actor.

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 12:26 PM
How much would you all hate and ridicule me if I say I don't get it, and don't know that I like anything associated with Tarentino? I have never actually seen the movie all the way from start to finish.....wonder why that is?

lexsooner
5/3/2012, 12:29 PM
I have never actually seen the movie all the way from start to finish.....wonder why that is?

You don't like movies which are out of sequence?

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 12:30 PM
I have never actually seen the movie all the way from start to finish.....wonder why that is?

Me neither actually. I don't think watching the entire thing would change my opinion of it though.

yermom
5/3/2012, 12:34 PM
how far did you get?

the 2nd scene in the diner at the end puts the movie on another level, to me at least

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 12:36 PM
how far did you get?

the 2nd scene in the diner at the end puts the movie on another level, to me at least

I've just seen it in bits & pieces. To be fair I prolly should try to watch the whole thing before rendering a final verdict.

dwarthog

Here you go, a little excerpt from Dusk till Dawn. NSFW....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8RVmJtKBAo

The only reason to watch this one IMO.

Curly Bill
...and I do not like Samuel L Jackson!

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 12:37 PM
Here you go, a little excerpt from Dusk till Dawn. NSFW....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8RVmJtKBAo

The only reason to watch this one IMO.

I am at work now, so can't partake.

C&CDean
5/3/2012, 12:38 PM
I'm with CB on this one. Never quite copped the woody everybody else did for Tarantino flicks. He tries too hard I guess. I mean they're alright, in an excessive violence/cussing stupid kinda way, but it's pretty much just overkill. Yeah, there's some semi-clever dialogue/plot lines, but some scrawny chick slashing everything up with a sword, or Samuel L quoting scripture with Vinnie Barbarino as his sidekick just ain't my cuppa.

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 12:39 PM
bit's and pieces for me too......it keeps losing me.....or I lose it.

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 12:40 PM
I'm with CB on this one. Never quite copped the woody everybody else did for Tarantino flicks. He tries too hard I guess. I mean they're alright, in an excessive violence/cussing stupid kinda way, but it's pretty much just overkill. Yeah, there's some semi-clever dialogue/plot lines, but some scrawny chick slashing everything up with a sword, or Samuel L quoting scripture with Vinnie Barbarino as his sidekick just ain't my cuppa.

Dean always says things just the right way.

5/3/2012, 12:41 PM
For those in need of "greek" text, you are welcome (http://slipsum.com/#.T6LC859Yui0).

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 01:32 PM
I can't think of a movie that re-launched an actors (dead) career the way Pulp-Fiction did for Travolta. I also think it launched Samuel L. Jackson's career to a new level.

There's no doubt that Tarantino has his own, crazy, violent, over-the-top style. But damn, the dude has made some great flicks:

Pulp-Fiction
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs (my favorite Tarantino flick)
Inglorious Bastards

But, he's also made some pretty bad movies:

From Dusk 'til Dawn
Jacky Brown
Also wasn't a fan of Grinhouse

KantoSooner
5/3/2012, 02:17 PM
I dunno. I never really got on the train o' love for Tarantino, but, over the years, I have increasingly enjoyed them. There's really nothing like the teahouse fight in Kill Bill for sheer homage->Ridicule in any film ever.

BillyBall
5/3/2012, 02:25 PM
I still think True Romance was his best film. (wrote it, didn't direct it)

Jammin'
5/3/2012, 02:27 PM
Inglorious Bastards

I loved this movie.

lexsooner
5/3/2012, 02:38 PM
I loved this movie.

Me too, although I still wonder why Shoshanna spoke to the audience in English at the end of that movie. Didn't she and her family not understand English, as confirmed by the French farmer to Hans Landa early in the movie?

Jammin'
5/3/2012, 02:47 PM
Me too, although I still wonder why Shoshanna spoke to the audience in English at the end of that movie. Didn't she and her family not understand English, as confirmed by the French farmer to Hans Landa early in the movie?

I said "loved", not "overanalyzed".

kbsooner21
5/3/2012, 02:52 PM
Pulp Fiction was a great flick! Still watch it every time it comes on.

ouwasp
5/3/2012, 03:32 PM
I called it a guilty pleasure because it's not something I'll watch with my kids around, and I just feel a little unclean in being entertained by such radical violence. When Jules sucks the last of of Brett's Sprite down, and says "Ahhhhhh, that was refreshing..." But his eyes don't reflect pleasure... they are definitely predatory. Something really bad is getting ready to go down. Greatness.

Glad I have it on dvr; it's so easy to skip the parts not cool, like the diner scenes. I need to get the dvd and watch it with the director's commentary sometime.

yermom
5/3/2012, 04:41 PM
I still think True Romance was his best film. (wrote it, didn't direct it)

very underrated. whoever did the casting on that flick was a genius.

Balky, Tyler Durden AND Tony Soprano, really?

not to mention Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman.

heh, and Samuel L. Jackson :D

GDC
5/3/2012, 07:29 PM
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Django-Unchained-Poster-570x845.jpg

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 07:56 PM
very underrated. whoever did the casting on that flick was a genius.

Balky, Tyler Durden AND Tony Soprano, really?

not to mention Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman.

heh, and Samuel L. Jackson :D

I just realized which movie True Romance is...thanks to your Tony Soprano comment.

That is a good movie. Guess I didn't realize Tarantino did that.

Turd_Ferguson
5/3/2012, 08:50 PM
I can't think of a movie that re-launched an actors (dead) career the way Pulp-Fiction did for Travolta. I also think it launched Samuel L. Jackson's career to a new level.

There's no doubt that Tarantino has his own, crazy, violent, over-the-top style. But damn, the dude has made some great flicks:

Pulp-Fiction
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs (my favorite Tarantino flick)
Inglorious Bastards

But, he's also made some pretty bad movies:

From Dusk 'til Dawn
Jacky Brown
Also wasn't a fan of GrinhouseI thought Jacky Brown was pretty good...

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 09:40 PM
I thought Jacky Brown was pretty good...

Now you made me wanna go back and re-watch it. **** you! :D

BigTip
5/3/2012, 10:52 PM
Pulp Fiction is a channel surfing anchor for me. I'll be surfing around, happen upon Pulp Fiction, and it's anchors away! I'll end up watching it until the end. So I've seen the end lots of times. Start to finish only about three times probably.

Dialog King. Some of the scenes are like listening to music. I can just listen to them over and over.

yermom
5/3/2012, 11:56 PM
it took me a while to warm to Jackie Brown. it's certainly got a different feeling about it

i was in a strange place the first time i saw it though as well

SOONERKAT
5/4/2012, 09:06 AM
Now you made me wanna go back and re-watch it. **** you! :D

The thing about QT's movies is that the genius is in the dialog between unique characters. In Jackie Brown, the scene with Ardell (Jackson) and Beaumont (Chris Tucker) just before they "go for a ride" is vintage Tarantino and is perfectly delivered by the two.

Pulp Fiction is purely dialog driven and where some scenes/ characters are overdone, I will still sit and watch it whenever I see that it is on, even if there are only five minutes left in the film. And to echo the thoughts of some of you, Samual L Jackson became what we know of Samuel L Jackson as a result of this movie, love him or hate him.

cantwait48
5/4/2012, 11:42 AM
"I wouldn't go so far to call the brother fat. I mean, he has a weight problem, what's the brother gonna do, he's Samoan."

GDC
5/4/2012, 03:50 PM
it took me a while to warm to Jackie Brown. it's certainly got a different feeling about it

i was in a strange place the first time i saw it though as well

It's hard to mess up an Elmore Leonard book.