PDA

View Full Version : Bee Keepers

olevetonahill
4/30/2012, 04:54 PM
I now are one :congratulatory:
Some of ya know I been studyin on em. Bot me some hives a few months back and ordered my Bees .
They came today. Puttin the finishin touches on their New condos and will install em a bit later when it cools down some more
May post some Pics if I can get my Game cam set up an werkin And the Bees dont run me off the Hill .

fadada1
4/30/2012, 07:59 PM
how, exactly, do they ship bees? just curious if you "just add water", like sea monkeys.

Jacie
4/30/2012, 08:09 PM
In a small wooden box that contains 10 or 20 or 50 thousand of em and a queen.

Friend of mine who lived on the NW side of OKC had some hives and had ordered another batch when he got a call from the Post Office. The box had broken open in the sorting room and they were desparate for him to come and claim his mail.

olevetonahill
4/30/2012, 08:14 PM
how, exactly, do they ship bees? just curious if you "just add water", like sea monkeys.
Heh
Freaks The Mailmen er women out

They ship em live in a screened in box deal
about 3K in each box
Fer some reason I cant post a Pic

I dint get to put em in their New condos tonight cause I was out there puttin the finishin touches on and left the Roof off the Condos and a Thunder storm popped up and got em all wet inside
Prolly could but Dont want to take a chance.

Will let every thing dry out and move em in tomorrow night

olevetonahill
4/30/2012, 08:15 PM
In a small wooden box that contains 10 or 20 or 50 thousand of em and a queen.

Friend of mine who lived on the NW side of OKC had some hives and had ordered another batch when he got a call from the Post Office. The box had broken open in the sorting room and they were desparate for him to come and claim his mail.

theres 3 lbs which are about 10K or less
I thto they would call me this morning But dint . I had to go check this evenin and get em

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 08:35 PM
"is there anything fragile, hazardous, or liquid in this package?"

"nope......."

:D

olevetonahill
4/30/2012, 08:43 PM
"is there anything fragile, hazardous, or liquid in this package?"

"nope......."

:D

???

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 08:56 PM
thats what the postal clerk asks you when you're mailing a package

olevetonahill
4/30/2012, 08:58 PM
thats what the postal clerk asks you when you're mailing a package
Id have to say Yes to all 3 then

SanJoaquinSooner
4/30/2012, 10:26 PM
same company that shipped the gator?

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 10:35 PM
Id have to say Yes to all 3 then

jeebus - it was a joke howard

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 09:51 AM
jeebus - it was a joke howard
Ditto

Curly Bill
5/1/2012, 10:09 AM
I see great humor and many amusing stories coming from this over the coming months!

OULenexaman
5/1/2012, 10:22 AM
That's what I was a thinkin...killer bees found in OK.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 10:31 AM
Got the Bees in the laundry room just lettin em hang out an chill , their Condos are drying out nicely. weather should be fine all day so I should be able to move em in this evening

pphilfran
5/1/2012, 12:07 PM
same company that shipped the gator?

Timmy, was it?

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 12:29 PM
Timmy, was it? Timmy T
And He dint get shipped, I stole him fair an square

OULenexaman
5/1/2012, 01:54 PM
Just in case I found you a book.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=beekeeping&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=843&wrapid=tlif133589837311211&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9163581511458948796&sa=X&ei=BTGgT8zmGMbqtgfivumAAg&ved=0CLABEPMCMAY#

achiro
5/1/2012, 02:40 PM
There are a couple of pretty good beekeeping forums you should check out. Ive got them on my old computer so if I can remember, I'll turn it on and find them for you.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 02:52 PM
There are a couple of pretty good beekeeping forums you should check out. Ive got them on my old computer so if I can remember, I'll turn it on and find them for you.

Cool
Thanks

yermom
5/1/2012, 02:54 PM
beefans.com?

why do you want bees? is there a benefit to an apiary other than honey?

seems cool. i'm just curious.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 03:18 PM
beefans.com?

why do you want bees? is there a benefit to an apiary other than honey?

seems cool. i'm just curious.
I wanted a quart of Honey. Kinda like how I got into makin the OVJ , I just wanted a quart

Seemed interestin so I said why not. Give me a hobby

Curly Bill
5/1/2012, 04:10 PM
You should watch Fried Green Tomatoes - she was good with bees.

achiro
5/1/2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.beesource.com/forums/

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.beesource.com/forums/

Thanks Bro, Ill register later, Right now I got to get em in their new Condos

5/1/2012, 06:44 PM
Well, at least we now know one sentence of your obit.

MsProudSooner
5/1/2012, 07:01 PM
You have to keep their condos nice or they'll leave. I came home one day and a hive of bees had moved into a hollow tree next to the driveway. Called a local bee keeper and he came and got them. he said it was a domestic hive that had up and moved on. He called me back the next day and they hadn't stayed in the hive at his house either. Luckily, they didn't come back to my house.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 07:03 PM
You have to keep their condos nice or they'll leave. I came home one day and a hive of bees had moved into a hollow tree next to the driveway. Called a local bee keeper and he came and got them. he said it was a domestic hive that had up and moved on. He called me back the next day and they hadn't stayed in the hive at his house either. Luckily, they didn't come back to my house.

Yea if they have too many Bees they will swarm and If ya too far away from a food source they will up an move on ya

Think I got everything ready for the Move . Fixin to take em out there and help em get settled in the New Condos

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 07:56 PM
Got em all moved in , only stung oncet, My fault

Cam messed up so Pics aint worht a **** .

5/1/2012, 08:27 PM
Ok.. Maybe two sentences.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 08:29 PM
Heh,
wouldnt a got stung if I had had shoes on instead of sandals with no socks

Jacie
5/1/2012, 08:39 PM
I forgot about that, that they came by the pound.

After a few months, my friend also had to go clean out bees from a neighbors garage when a group of them swarmed.

In addition to honey, you can also harvest beeswax.

8timechamps
5/1/2012, 08:45 PM

"...an avid beekeeper...swarmed while trying to make a bee video for YouTube..."

On a serious note, I'll be interested to hear about the results. Kinda cool idea vet.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 08:49 PM
I forgot about that, that they came by the pound.

After a few months, my friend also had to go clean out bees from a neighbors garage when a group of them swarmed.

In addition to honey, you can also harvest beeswax.
YUp, I heard any Catholic church will buy ever pound I can get

"...an avid beekeeper...swarmed while trying to make a bee video for YouTube..."

On a serious note, I'll be interested to hear about the results. Kinda cool idea vet.

Heh If I get enough I may make some Meade for the TGs this year

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 08:50 PM
Just went and checked they seem all settled in fer the night

5/1/2012, 09:10 PM
"... Swarmed by bees, attacking his sockless feet."

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 09:25 PM
"... Swarmed by bees, attacking his sockless feet."
I started out with all that protective crap on , Got too hot so I took it off . The Bees like Me I they Land Lord

5/1/2012, 09:33 PM
Was once quoted saying he, "Got too hot so I took it [bee protection] off."

Just helping you out here, brother.

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 10:19 PM
Was once quoted saying he, "Got too hot so I took it [bee protection] off."

Just helping you out here, brother.

:unconscious:

yermom
5/1/2012, 11:32 PM
Got em all moved in , only stung oncet, My fault

Cam messed up so Pics aint worht a **** .

i came in the thread for an update. my question was going to be how many times you'd been stung so far :D

olevetonahill
5/1/2012, 11:48 PM
i came in the thread for an update. my question was going to be how many times you'd been stung so far :D
Just the once , Dayum Big toe is now Bigger :bull_head:

deweydw
5/2/2012, 06:50 AM
If one of them bee's starts talking to you. And sounds like Jerry Seinfeld.

It's just the bee-r talking.

http://parentpreviews.com/legacy-pics/bee_movie.jpg

olevetonahill
5/2/2012, 06:55 AM
If one of them bee's starts talking to you. And sounds like Jerry Seinfeld.

It's just the bee-r talking.

http://parentpreviews.com/legacy-pics/bee_movie.jpg

Heh

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 08:57 AM
Well I got One less hive to worry about , The Bitches packed up in the Night and moved when it was cool.
May try to reorder another group monday

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 09:00 AM
So they didn't beehave.

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 09:04 AM
So they didn't beehave.
Bitches Moved out owing rent

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 09:07 AM
Well I got One less hive to worry about , The Bitches packed up in the Night and moved when it was cool.
May try to reorder another group monday

You must have treated em wrong!

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 09:08 AM
ya got stung......again.

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 09:11 AM
You must have treated em wrong!

That was the Bunch that stung me .
**** em glad those hos gone

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 09:11 AM
ya got stung......again.
See above :welcoming:

Curly Bill
5/3/2012, 09:13 AM
That was the Bunch that stung me .
**** em glad those hos gone

So they treated ya wrong, then ran out on ya? Yeah, you don't need that.

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 09:32 AM
So they treated ya wrong, then ran out on ya? Yeah, you don't need that.
Story of my life bro
Buy em nice things and they **** on me ,

GDC
5/3/2012, 10:18 AM
We used to keep bees for pollination purposes when I had my orchard in New Mexico, but my brother did most of the bee work.

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 10:40 AM
Just reordered some more fer the Condo
Ima make it it hard on this Queen to get out of her little travel cage
Cost me another 125 bucks

Bitches man Bitches

OULenexaman
5/3/2012, 10:49 AM
I have to say I've blown 125 bucks on stupider things....

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 11:17 AM
I have to say I've blown 125 bucks on stupider things....

Yup

Like Ive said I made a Lot of money in my life , Spent most of it on Women and Booze. the rest I just wasted :welcoming:

achiro
5/3/2012, 11:45 AM
Just reordered some more fer the Condo
Ima make it it hard on this Queen to get out of her little travel cage
Cost me another 125 bucks

Bitches man Bitches
I was going to ask if you had just let her out or if she escaped early. The worker bees may have just killed her and thats why they left but who knows.

olevetonahill
5/3/2012, 01:21 PM
I was going to ask if you had just let her out or if she escaped early. The worker bees may have just killed her and thats why they left but ho knows.Naw, I dint let her out, But I did make it way to easy

MamaMia
5/4/2012, 09:18 PM
I now are one :congratulatory:
Some of ya know I been studyin on em. Bot me some hives a few months back and ordered my Bees .
They came today. Puttin the finishin touches on their New condos and will install em a bit later when it cools down some more
May post some Pics if I can get my Game cam set up an werkin And the Bees dont run me off the Hill .Cool, congratulations! I heard that bee keeping has huge tax deduction percs.

olevetonahill
5/5/2012, 12:51 PM
Dont know anything about that Mom .
Now whoever axed me in a spek comment if they can come see em . Come on .

MamaMia
5/5/2012, 05:42 PM
Dont know anything about that Mom .
Now whoever axed me in a spek comment if they can come see em . Come on .I'll bring some beer and a jar for some honey drenched honey comb. What plants and flowers are they pollinating off of out there?

olevetonahill
5/5/2012, 08:44 PM
I'll bring some beer and a jar for some honey drenched honey comb. What plants and flowers are they pollinating off of out there?

They aint even leaving the Hive much. Just gettin established

Lots of wild flowers and such

MamaMia
5/6/2012, 02:50 PM
Here is a place where you can order clover seeds. This would make your bees really happy.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/search?keywords=clover+seeds&crcat=ppc-21-211-grass-seed-groundcover~clover&crsource=msn&crkw=clover%20seeds&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Bing-PPC&utm_campaign=ppc-21-211-grass-seed-groundcover&utm_content=clover&utm_term=clover%20seeds

MamaMia
5/6/2012, 03:00 PM
Here are some that you dont even have to water. Just plant them during the rainy season and off they go. It would make the honey really delicious.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/search?keywords=clover+seeds&crcat=ppc-21-211-grass-seed-groundcover%7Eclover&crsource=msn&crkw=clover+seeds&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Bing-PPC&utm_campaign=ppc-21-211-grass-seed-groundcover&utm_content=clover&utm_term=clover+seeds&refine=y&Soiltype=Drought%2FDry+Soil

olevetonahill
5/6/2012, 03:00 PM
The feed store had a bunch of flower seeds that were a year old and they couldnt sell em so they gave em to me. I mixed em all up and just went and tossed em around. Hopefully they will grow and bloom

olevetonahill
5/6/2012, 03:02 PM
Here are some that you dont even have to water. Just plant them during the rainy season and off they go. It would make the honey really delicious.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/search?keywords=clover+seeds&crcat=ppc-21-211-grass-seed-groundcover%7Eclover&crsource=msn&crkw=clover+seeds&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Bing-PPC&utm_campaign=ppc-21-211-grass-seed-groundcover&utm_content=clover&utm_term=clover+seeds&refine=y&Soiltype=Drought%2FDry+Soil

Now thats what Im lookin for Thanks
I like the Looks of Crimson Clover :chuncky:. Plus Clover Honey is Great
Ill order some for next year

Chuck Bao
5/6/2012, 03:22 PM
Please keep sharing your experiences with the bees, Olevet. I would love to build some condo units and order the bees for my neck of the woods.

The last honey with honey comb I bought was just outside Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam five years ago. Dude broke off a tree branch to get it and was on his bike to go sell it in the market. He seemed very happy when I offered him a couple of dollars.

olevetonahill
5/6/2012, 03:29 PM
Please keep sharing your experiences with the bees, Olevet. I would love to build some condo units and order the bees for my neck of the woods.

The last honey with honey comb I bought was just outside Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam five years ago. Dude broke off a tree branch to get it and was on his bike to go sell it in the market. He seemed very happy when I offered him a couple of dollars.

****in Gooks :chuncky:

Not much to say right now. The one hive I have is growing daily
I will add the second or Upper Condo unit in a week er so. Have to give em time to build up the 1st one.

Should get my replacement bees Next Monday week.

Its a Pain in the butt gettin started but after that just gotta watch em and make sure they have plenty to eat and stay disease an mite free.

MamaMia
5/6/2012, 04:03 PM
Now thats what Im lookin for Thanks
I like the Looks of Crimson Clover :chuncky:. Plus Clover Honey is Great
Ill order some for next yearI saw that crimson clover too. Its cool that you can buy that clover in bulk just for bee hiving. That purple one there is drought resistant. I'll bring another big ole bag of that white clover when we come up to see the folks. We'll drop by your place. I've seen white clover honey at the health food stores, so it must be healthy for ya. :)

8timechamps
5/6/2012, 05:45 PM
olevet = bee landlord/pimp

I like it!

olevetonahill
5/6/2012, 05:58 PM
olevet = bee landlord/pimp

I like it!

Bee Pimpin dem Hos :welcoming:

delhalew
5/6/2012, 08:12 PM
I'll consult you about what supplies you have. If I can help you get started on the Mead, I would be happy to.

Step one: obtain metric **** ton of honey...several pounds.

olevetonahill
5/6/2012, 08:31 PM
I'll consult you about what supplies you have. If I can help you get started on the Mead, I would be happy to.

Step one: obtain metric **** ton of honey...several pounds.

Yea Figure the mead is aways off yet

Mjcpr
5/7/2012, 12:27 AM
I'll bring some beer and a jar for some honey drenched honey comb. What plants and flowers are they pollinating off of out there?

Wister Sensamilia.

olevetonahill
5/7/2012, 12:34 AM
Wister Sensamilia.

:welcoming:

cleller
5/7/2012, 07:13 AM
I was all interested in getting some bees, just because they are apparently having a hard time of it right now, with loss of habitat. There was a guy in Shawnee selling out his operation and would bring them to you. I've got a neighbor that cuts hay that sows crimson clover every year, also.
Then I read some of the stories on those bee sites, that you get stung pretty regular no matter how careful you are, and got some second thoughts. Last time I got some stings my leg was swollen and itchy for 2 weeks.

I'd probably also have some dingbat calf or dog find a way to get after the honey, and have a big problem.

olevetonahill
5/7/2012, 08:06 AM
Just been stung the once and that was my fault. Yea Ya mess with em yer gonna get stung some Guess its like anything else in life ya take the good with the bad

MamaMia
5/7/2012, 02:47 PM
Do people get stoned if they eat honey that the bees who pollinate off of Cannabis flowers make?

olevetonahill
5/7/2012, 02:49 PM
Do people get stoned if they eat honey that the bees who pollinate off of Cannabis flowers make?

:chuncky:

OULenexaman
5/10/2012, 08:14 AM
So how da bees bee doin?

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 08:26 AM
Getting ready to add the 2nd Hive box to the 1st set
Replacement bees should bee here monday for the other hive

OULenexaman
5/10/2012, 09:27 AM
replacement bees......kinda like replacement players?

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 09:33 AM
replacement bees......kinda like replacement players?
Heh. I had a Hives worth decide they wanted to transfer :disturbed:

Made it to easy fer the Queen to get out and they dint have time to set up house keepin so they left
This time That bitch gonna have to werk to get out her lil travel cage

Curly Bill
5/10/2012, 01:44 PM
Heh. I had a Hives worth decide they wanted to transfer :disturbed:

Made it to easy fer the Queen to get out and they dint have time to set up house keepin so they left
This time That bitch gonna have to werk to get out her lil travel cage

Make em sit out a year before they can make any honey!

olevetonahill
5/10/2012, 01:48 PM
Make em sit out a year before they can make any honey!

Them Bitches went awol
got no clue where

olevetonahill
5/15/2012, 08:04 PM
OK The Replacements came in the mail today. Just installed em in the Condo
Heres the story

Fer the Most part they moved in

I guess ya could say I got stung once

I were movin the wire cage they came in out to the Condos and got my finger a tad close to the wire and mashed one between the wire and the support inside. I were tryin to carry too much **** at one time
The stinger barely stuck . I was able to just blow on it and it fell out . But Thats a sting I reckon

Went on and Pissed em all off, had 10;000 Bees swarming all over my neked *** while I was dumpin em in. Just slid the top on for a bit to let em settle down
Will go back out in about 15 and make sure they settlin in Then put the outter top on
Check on em in 3 er 4 days

Maybe then I will have a camera and can post some pics

pphilfran
5/16/2012, 10:04 AM
Great thread...you are one of a kind....

OULenexaman
5/16/2012, 10:13 AM
10,000 bees swarming my *** would give me the heebee jeebees. Even with the bee suit on.

pphilfran
5/16/2012, 10:33 AM
The lost bees came back to find their home had been released so they attacked Vet...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/bee.jpg

Boomer.....
5/16/2012, 10:39 AM
I suggest wearing clothes when around teh bees.

olevetonahill
5/16/2012, 12:03 PM
10,000 bees swarming my *** would give me the heebee jeebees. Even with the bee suit on.

They be Ok. Now when I rob em later on this year , You betcha Ima have that stuff on .
Just feedin em and workin with em aint no thing

Viking Kitten
5/16/2012, 06:43 PM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5634/30333006.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/30333006.jpg/)

49r
5/16/2012, 07:05 PM
:bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee:

olevetonahill
5/27/2012, 10:44 AM
Ok so its been about a Month, I just went out an Addded the 2nd story to the 1st Condo i set up, Bees is Healthy, The Hive is growing pretty fast
Were able to get a few Pics

One of em is from last years Ho-Down and Albq Is supervisin BTK on the proper way to cook the Burgers and stuff :very_drunk:

http://img194.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img194/7793/1338132850c0h.smil

boomersooner28
5/27/2012, 11:31 AM
Holy **** I just found this thread. Don't visit the Oval much. This thread is comedy gold!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boomersooner28
5/27/2012, 11:33 AM
Oh and vet, congrats on your new journey! You will be a great bee pimp!

olevetonahill
5/27/2012, 11:40 AM
Theres so much to learn and Ive already learned theres So much can go wrong, Like me lettin that one Batch go AWOL

MamaMia
5/27/2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the slideshow. It looks interesting. Did you order that sack of bee keeper flower seeds? Is suppose to rain up there this week. No better time than now to toss them around.

olevetonahill
5/27/2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the slideshow. It looks interesting. Did you order that sack of bee keeper flower seeds? Is suppose to rain up there this week. No better time than now to toss them around.

No, I did toss out about 20 packs of flower seeds just before a rain 2 weeks ago. Dont think a 1 of em sprouted

MamaMia
5/27/2012, 03:30 PM
No, I did toss out about 20 packs of flower seeds just before a rain 2 weeks ago. Dont think a 1 of em sproutedRack up a few spots and toss them in there and sprinkle some soil and water over the seeds. The more flowers you have, the happier the bees will be.

diverdog
5/28/2012, 08:42 AM
Ok so its been about a Month, I just went out an Addded the 2nd story to the 1st Condo i set up, Bees is Healthy, The Hive is growing pretty fast
Were able to get a few Pics

One of em is from last years Ho-Down and Albq Is supervisin BTK on the proper way to cook the Burgers and stuff :very_drunk:

http://img194.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img194/7793/1338132850c0h.smil

Is that you with the long beard in the last picture with a beer in your hand?

Plant yourself a field of lavender. That is like crack cocaine for bees.

olevetonahill
5/28/2012, 08:57 AM
Is that you with the long beard in the last picture with a beer in your hand?

Plant yourself a field of lavender. That is like crack cocaine for bees.
That handsome feller with a Very large Beer Belly and Beard is most assuredly ME

diverdog
5/28/2012, 09:10 AM
That handsome feller with a Very large Beer Belly and Beard is most assuredly ME

Thanks. I figured if you ever decided to come after me I am going to have to buy a bigger gun. :beguiled:

We have a lot of orchards near my home and you should see the tractor trailer loads of hives they move around these parts. Some of those guys have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in bee operations. Our local orchard sells their honey which we buy almost exclusively. The local root beer brewery makes root beer with honey. It is delicious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Dominion_Brewing_Company

I am not sure if I posted this before but honey is also a good antiseptic for wounds in a pinch. Probably the best pure food product ever made.

olevetonahill
5/28/2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks. I figured if you ever decided to come after me I am going to have to buy a bigger gun. :beguiled:

We have a lot of orchards near my home and you should see the tractor trailer loads of hives they move around these parts. Some of those guys have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in bee operations. Our local orchard sells their honey which we buy almost exclusively. The local root beer brewery makes root beer with honey. It is delicious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Dominion_Brewing_Company

I am not sure if I posted this before but honey is also a good antiseptic for wounds in a pinch. Probably the best pure food product ever made.

I growl pretty fierce But fer the Most part Im pretty gentle

I been buying Honey and got tired of payin their high prices fer it so instead of spendin 10 to 12 bucks fer a quart I spent a 1000 bucks to set up 2 hives.
I smart like that :very_drunk:

diverdog
5/28/2012, 10:44 AM

I been buying Honey and got tired of payin their high prices fer it so instead of spendin 10 to 12 bucks fer a quart I spent a 1000 bucks to set up 2 hives.
I smart like that :very_drunk:

Your are like my friend who spend $30K on BBQ rig to win a contest. He won it alright and a $500 check to boot. His wife nearly killed him.

olevetonahill
5/28/2012, 02:43 PM
Your are like my friend who spend $30K on BBQ rig to win a contest. He won it alright and a $500 check to boot. His wife nearly killed him.

Heh.

MamaMia
5/28/2012, 06:12 PM

I smart like that :very_drunk:Think of all the money I'm going to save when I get your honey for nothing but a case of natty lite.

olevetonahill
5/28/2012, 06:17 PM
Think of all the money I'm going to save when I get your honey for nothing but a case of natty lite.

Yea That gas to come get it is free also :very_drunk:

MamaMia
5/28/2012, 06:27 PM
Yea That gas to come get it is free also :very_drunk:I'll be hungry you know. Thats a pretty long drive. I'll bring some potato salad and baked beans in my ice chest if you fire up the grill for some burgers. I'll bring a few pounds of 80/20 ground chuck and all the fixings, unless you're growing tomatoes. :)

Chuck Bao
5/28/2012, 06:42 PM
I don't really care for honey, but I would very much like to set up some bee hives on my land. Olevet, I'll pay for everything including your time and labor and you can stay at my cabin in the woods while you set them up. If you aren't interested, maybe you know someone who would be. I'm thinking about July or August after I return to the US.

olevetonahill
5/28/2012, 06:50 PM
I don't really care for honey, but I would very much like to set up some bee hives on my land. Olevet, I'll pay for everything including your time and labor and you can stay at my cabin in the woods while you set them up. If you aren't interested, maybe you know someone who would be. I'm thinking about July or August after I return to the US.

Not a Prob Bro . id be happy to help ya

Prolly wont be able to get any bees then. But ya can get the Hives put together and ready to set up for next spring

Mom. Wont be any Honey till late fall so maters prolly be all gone by then

MamaMia
5/28/2012, 11:53 PM
Not a Prob Bro . id be happy to help ya

Prolly wont be able to get any bees then. But ya can get the Hives put together and ready to set up for next spring

Mom. Wont be any Honey till late fall so maters prolly be all gone by thenokay, then mail it. I'll trade you some homemade jelly. :)

Chuck Bao
5/29/2012, 12:28 AM
Are you willing to barter for it? How much OVJ and OV honey would rate in...oh...say a dentist appointment for teeth cleaning? I don't know, but I'm curious.

olevetonahill
6/9/2012, 07:53 AM
My Titty iches this morning . dayum Bees

pphilfran
6/9/2012, 10:22 AM
My Titty iches this morning . dayum Bees

That bee "sting" is just an excuse for you to fondle yourself...

olevetonahill
6/9/2012, 11:55 AM
That bee "sting" is just an excuse for you to fondle yourself...

:sneakiness:

SanJoaquinSooner
6/16/2012, 02:28 AM
Up to 60% Off Beekeeping Workshop in Manteca
Much like silk, honey comes from an insect and makes for an attention-grabbing evening gown. Make a delicious statement with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
•$39 for a two-hour intro to beekeeping class with one-hour honey tasting for one...

olevetonahill
6/16/2012, 07:48 AM
Up to 60% Off Beekeeping Workshop in Manteca
Much like silk, honey comes from an insect and makes for an attention-grabbing evening gown. Make a delicious statement with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
•$39 for a two-hour intro to beekeeping class with one-hour honey tasting for one...

jaun, You been hittin the Mescal?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/16/2012, 11:45 AM
jaun, You been hittin the Mescal?

Just sharing a Groupon e-mail I got for a beekeeping workshop. No wonder stock analysts are so high on Groupon!:sneakiness:

olevetonahill
6/16/2012, 11:57 AM
Just sharing a Groupon e-mail I got for a beekeeping workshop. No wonder stock analysts are so high on Groupon!:sneakiness:

Got a Link? cause the post by itself dont make no sense.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/16/2012, 03:22 PM
Got a Link? cause the post by itself dont make no sense.

Here's their facebook page, and it has a link for the groupon workshop .. just scroll down an inch or two.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GerardZ-Honeybees/125411240892546?sk=wall

olevetonahill
6/16/2012, 04:06 PM
Cool link, I learn stuff about these critters every day

olevetonahill
6/29/2012, 05:13 PM
Update, 1st Hive is going great
2nd one not so much, Guess Ima gonna have to get a new Queen for it. in 2 months its only expanded out 5 frames the 1st one is at 20 frames and growing

Got my 4th sting today . Lil bitch got me right under my left eye . Oh well it dont hurt and the swelling aint too bad :watermelon:

MamaMia
6/30/2012, 01:49 AM
Update, 1st Hive is going great
2nd one not so much, Guess Ima gonna have to get a new Queen for it. in 2 months its only expanded out 5 frames the 1st one is at 20 frames and growing

Got my 4th sting today . Lil bitch got me right under my left eye . Oh well it dont hurt and the swelling aint too bad :watermelon:How do you treat your bee stings? Its a good thing you aren't highly allergic. You need to have some EpiPens on hand in case a guest gets stung and has a real bad reaction.

olevetonahill
6/30/2012, 10:38 AM
How do you treat your bee stings? Its a good thing you aren't highly allergic. You need to have some EpiPens on hand in case a guest gets stung and has a real bad reaction.

I just make sur the stinger is out , then live with it Mom . theres a little swellin under my eye this morning but Not to bad.

olevetonahill
6/30/2012, 11:25 AM
How do you treat your bee stings? Its a good thing you aren't highly allergic. You need to have some EpiPens on hand in case a guest gets stung and has a real bad reaction.

Dayum Mom, Just looked and those things are spensive as hell. Guess if some one lergic that bad they best bring they own or have their burial ins. up to date

olevetonahill
7/13/2012, 08:26 AM
Ok just an Update. New Queen should be here today, will install her later

Talked to the chick that shipped her and she said to just keep the New queen in her little travel cage in my pocket while I get the Old bitch out and Kill her *** then rub the Old one on the new ones cage to get her smell on the New 1, that way the Bees accept her easier

I said "What Pockets"?
Guess Ill tuck her under my Hat er sompun

sooneron
7/13/2012, 08:47 AM
This could end up going something like Kristen Saban's antics. :pop:

olevetonahill
7/13/2012, 09:25 AM
This could end up going something like Kristen Saban's antics. :pop:

Heh, Aint wore that monkey suit but once , Too hot , Ill take my chances

Breadburner
7/13/2012, 01:14 PM
Get some of them bees to sting you on the ding ding then have the town punch come over.....:kiwi-fruit:

olevetonahill
7/13/2012, 01:49 PM
Get some of them bees to sting you on the ding ding then have the town punch come over.....:kiwi-fruit:

Heh, When I was lookin fer the Old Queen had one land on me there. Takes some will power to not try to brush a Bee off yer junk. .Just stood still till it flew off

While I was lookin fer the Old Queen the new 1 died on me , Dayum it.

Just reordered again

Ima name this Hive the Titanic er sompun cause Im sure sinkin a lot of money in it in a hurry

Breadburner
7/13/2012, 03:26 PM
Heh, When I was lookin fer the Old Queen had one land on me there. Takes some will power to not try to brush a Bee off yer junk. .Just stood still till it flew off

While I was lookin fer the Old Queen the new 1 died on me , Dayum it.

Just reordered again

Ima name this Hive the Titanic er sompun cause Im sure sinkin a lot of money in it in a hurry

Just blow on it to get it off......:kiwi-fruit:

olevetonahill
7/13/2012, 05:42 PM
Just blow on it to get it off......:kiwi-fruit:
My beer belly get in the way.

Breadburner
7/14/2012, 09:48 PM
My beer belly get in the way.

Oscillating fan....???

diverdog
7/15/2012, 05:26 AM
I just make sur the stinger is out , then live with it Mom . theres a little swellin under my eye this morning but Not to bad.

Vet:

A few years ago I got swarmed by ground hornets. They really nailed my *** and I was hurting puppy dog. An internet search said that the best home remedy is wet tobacco. So I went to the local store bought some cheap sigs and busted them open, dampened the tobacco and applied it to the areas that hurt the most and it worked. In retrospect, chewing tobacco would have been fine and would have been a lot less work. The place that really hurt was getting stung three times on my temple.

diverdog
7/15/2012, 05:28 AM
Vet:

Saw this article in the LA Times and thought you would want to read it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0715-lopez-bees-20120715,0,2474141.column

olevetonahill
7/15/2012, 08:32 PM
DD yes Ive heard and used the Tobacco deal most of my life, Not sure it does any good but what the hell.

I usually dont worry about stings of anykind, From scorpions to wasp. They hurt a bit swell some then go down and alls good
Now If I got Hit by a bunch I prolly be drank some benydril :shame:

AS far as that article goes, Only in Cal is some thing that is totally benificial to the whole Population Illegal

Curly Bill
7/15/2012, 11:04 PM
My parents always did the wet tobacco thing when I was a kid and would get stung. I'm fairly certain it didn't do a damn thing except waste one of my dad's cigs.

olevetonahill
7/16/2012, 01:28 AM
My parents always did the wet tobacco thing when I was a kid and would get stung. I'm fairly certain it didn't do a damn thing except waste one of my dad's cigs.

If ya dint mix it with raw egg white then ya did it wrong,:D

MamaMia
7/16/2012, 04:29 AM
Home Remedies for bee stings...

Getting stung by a bee is no fun and the pain can last for a few hours, here are a bunch of home remedies for pain relief as well as some interesting tips and bits of info.

First make sure the stinger is removed (look for a black spot in the bite area), do this immediately as it can reduce the amount of venom released into the body.

At one time it was thought that you had to scrape it out (with something like a blunt knife or plastic edge) but you can effectively use tweezers to pull it out.

Wash the stung area with soap and water then try a remedy or treatment below for pain relief. Technically it’s a sting rather than a “bite”, but I used bite below to describe the injured area.

1.Make a paste of meat tenderizer and water or baking soda and water–apply to bite.

2.Sprinkle generously with baking soda then drizzle some drops of vinegar over the baking soda to make it fizz. Leave on skin until pain is gone.

3.Cover with a dot of mustard.

4.Make a thick paste of meat tenderizer and vinegar, apply to area.

5.Cover with honey and reapply as needed for pain.

6.Dab with a generous amount of toothpaste and leave on the wound.

7.Apply ice or an ice pack [1].

8.Soak in Epsom salt and water or make paste and apply.

9.Apply Aloe Vera [2].

10.Chew a plantain leaf then apply the macerated leaf onto the bite.

11.Crush fresh parsley and apply to wound.

12.Crush fresh basil leaves and apply.

13.Drizzle apple cider vinegar over the wound.

14.Apply a slice of fresh papaya.

15.Dab on a bit of deodorant.

Symptoms:

A normal reaction to a bee sting is to experience pain and itchiness, redness and swelling. Pain will last for a few hours then should disappear.

If the following occurs, seek medical advice:

•If it stung inside your nose or mouth (the swelling will affect breathing).
•If you were stung several times by many bees.
•If you have difficulty breathing or your breathing seems to have been affected.
•Your tongue begins to swell.
•You experience dizziness.
•You experience blurry vision.
•You feel nauseous.
•Your speech is slurred or you find it difficult to talk.
•Hives or a rash appears (especially in an area away from the bite).
•The stung area swells alarmingly large.
If the reaction seems severe (especially if breathing is affected), don’t hesitate to call medical emergency services as the victim may be experiencing an allergic reaction that can trigger anaphylactic shock.

Tip Bits
Daisy Flower
Simple logic: To avoid being stung by a bee, avoid attracting them. Bright clothing, fragrances from hair sprays, perfumes and cosmetic products as well as sweet foods like soda pop, fruits and syrups can attract them.

If you don’t appear to be aggressive or startle them–chances are one won’t sting you. If one lands on you or is near you, hold still until it loses interest and flies away. Rapid movement and swatting will signal the bee that you’re ready for a fight so if you’re going to scream with arms flailing–make sure you outrun it .

•Tip: If one lands on you, blowing gently on it will help convince it that it’s time to move along.
Did you know: Pickings are slim in the Fall when bees are busy looking for flowers, fruits and plants that haven’t yet died off or harvested for the season. When you’re wearing bright clothing and smelling pretty while much of the vegetation they depend on are gone, it might think he hit the jackpot with the largest, loveliest flower of all (you).

The link...http://tipnut.com/quick-tip-bee-sting-relief/print/

olevetonahill
7/31/2012, 11:47 AM
Well with all this heat we been havin and the forcast being well over a 100 for the at least next 10 days. Im going out to build some shade over the Hives

This sun is Brutal on em

pphilfran
7/31/2012, 12:45 PM
If you would have treated your ex as well as you treat your bees you would still be married... :)

olevetonahill
7/31/2012, 01:00 PM
If you would have treated your ex as well as you treat your bees you would still be married... :)

I LIKE my bees :glee:

pphilfran
7/31/2012, 01:18 PM
I LIKE my bees :glee:

LOL

MamaMia
8/1/2012, 11:30 AM
Would planting some fruit trees around the bee hives help?

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 02:28 PM
Would planting some fruit trees around the bee hives help?

Yea But the soil here is so bad it takes ferever fer em to grow. they need shade NOW