PDA

View Full Version : So, a couple days ago...

C&CDean
4/28/2012, 07:59 PM
I was chatting with TRRW and somewhere between talking about how much he likes his new truck - and his lovely daughter who has conjuntivitis right now; the subject of this upcoming year's football team came up in our conversation. I go "are we any good this year?" He goes "we're good every year." I go "so how are we gonna do?" He goes; and I quote "the guys gotta want it. That simple. It ain't the coaches, it's the guys. They gotta want it."

There you have it. The players have to want it.

TIA.

OUinFLA
4/28/2012, 10:22 PM
did you straighten him out on how important it was for the forum to "really want it" ?

the players? pffft.
Here today, gone sometime soon.

We................... always here, always want'n it.

You missed a golden opportunity to straighten him out.

Memtig14
4/28/2012, 10:50 PM
did you straighten him out on how important it was for the forum to "really want it" ?

the players? pffft.
Here today, gone sometime soon.

We................... always here, always want'n it.

You missed a golden opportunity to straighten him out.

Very cute. LOL

ouwasp
4/29/2012, 01:16 PM
The desire to be a champion is universal.
The desire to prepare to be a champion is unique.

LVSOONER15
4/29/2012, 02:38 PM
He is right. They gotta want it.

badger
4/29/2012, 04:10 PM
My high school basketball team, the year I got mono and barely played (but still had to run all the punishment-for-losing sprints in practices), the team lost games by 50 or so. We just didn't want to win enough.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

As much as I love my Sooners, I am just not convinced that the desire to win is always enough. Injury bug bit us hard this past season :(

SunnySooner
4/29/2012, 05:06 PM
I remember a sign from some locker room I was in at some point--changing into my cheerleading uni, but still, it's a good sign--

"As you sit right now, somewhere, someone, is practicing. Someday, you will face them. And they will beat you."

Not the most sunshine-pumper of signs, but it's a good point. A lot of people want it really bad, you gotta want it worse. It's really the difference among "great" and "elite" athletes these days, because so much else is equal.

And Baj, I'm talking more over time. Injury bugs are an x factor, e.g. 2009. Blech.

C&CDean
4/29/2012, 06:42 PM
My high school basketball team, the year I got mono and barely played (but still had to run all the punishment-for-losing sprints in practices), the team lost games by 50 or so. We just didn't want to win enough.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

As much as I love my Sooners, I am just not convinced that the desire to win is always enough. Injury bug bit us hard this past season :(

What ailed us these past couple years wasn't the injury bug. Yes, it contributed - in a huge way, but it was pretty obvious that there were some chemistry issues going on; even when we were winning.

You should spend a few minutes chatting with Roy. He's half my age, but the boy is chock full of wisdom/experience. We won it all in 2000 with a bunch of kids who decided they weren't gonna get beat. Heupel was so banged up he couldn't even bend his throwing elbow - but guess what? He wanted it. T Marshall picked that pass and took it to the house against eATMe because he wanted it.

Anybody remember the 4 straight downs at the goal line against the aglets at the end of the game?. 6' 4" Joey whoever going against our 5' 10" DB (curse me for now remembering the names as I type). Four straight fades to the corner...four straight deflections/knock downs by our guy. Why? Cause he wanted it.

Remember Q stepping up in the NC game? He ****ing wanted it.

I'm hoping the rotten apples are gone - and the media and a couple knuckleheads can blame Venables - hey, I'm good with that even if it is retarded. I'm hoping we can field some kids who want it. Not a bunch of punkasses who are here for the primary reason to impress an NFL scout.

goingoneight
4/29/2012, 10:17 PM
I have no doubt guys like Sam, GK, Landry, DeMarco and the like have wanted it. But TRRW's right... there's been one too many times where it's just not a team-wide effort. The Tceh game last year showed it. We had not only guys just kinda jogging/going through the motions for three quarters, we had mental breakdowns and unsportsmanlike penalties that showed while some parts were playing well, the team just wasn't completely on the same page.

And I will tell you one thing... I have noticed one trend with almost every loss in the Stoops era and that is the dumbfounded, quiet team on the sidelines that won't wake the f*** up until we're like a field goal down. The sideline looked downright pathetic last year during the Baylor game. Same for the OSU game.

XingTheRubicon
4/29/2012, 11:49 PM
Derek Strait and Joey Mickey

Salt City Sooner
4/29/2012, 11:54 PM
Marcellus Rivers was the OSU TE.

cleller
4/30/2012, 07:06 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

You gotta have some talent to start with, though. Sooners have that.

oumartin
4/30/2012, 07:36 AM
Did you ask him about the hard knocks episode where he didn't wanna participate in a tackling drill?

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 09:31 AM
Did you ask him about the hard knocks episode where he didn't wanna participate in a tackling drill?

No marty, I didn't. I don't even know what hard knocks is. Cause I ain't gay.

badger
4/30/2012, 09:33 AM
No marty, I didn't. I don't even know what hard knocks is. Cause I ain't gay.

It's actually not a bad show Dean. It will show you how crappy teams are compared to the Packers (cuz they do that show to build a fanbase, not if they already have one, hehe)

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 09:46 AM
Hard Knocks is gay?

a show documenting the ins and outs of NFL training camp is gay?

did i read that right?

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 09:59 AM
Oh goody. We got marty the instigator and jk the snark all in one thread. Yay.

Never heard of the show jon. My assumption was/is it's one of those gay-assed reality things y'all get all bonerized over. My bad.

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 10:00 AM
my post was snarky? you started off with the gay comments - i just wanted clarification

i think you look for drama where there is none........cool story about TRRW

Hard Knocks is a cool show - a couple years ago they followed the Bears when J.D. Runnels was trying to make the team

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 10:02 AM
marty was involved - therefore the gay comment.

I'll have to check out the show.

oumartin
4/30/2012, 11:48 AM
Lets see, If the show was gay that would make TRRW gay because he was involved. You have this man crush on TRRW so that makes you gay as well.

It was an honest question to ask him. Someone who wants to bag on a player for not "wanting it" when he himself looked very bad asking out of a drill.

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 12:24 PM
Lets see, If the show was gay that would make TRRW gay because he was involved. You have this man crush on TRRW so that makes you gay as well.

It was an honest question to ask him. Someone who wants to bag on a player for not "wanting it" when he himself looked very bad asking out of a drill.

Take **** outta context much? Besides, like I said, I ain't got a clue WTF you're talking about (hard knocks). So why the hell would I axe him?

His comments were about the OU Sooner football team and my question "are we gonna be any good/win it all." Something he did in the NFL (I'm assuming since I don't know) somehow makes his comments/opinions invalid? I ain't getting it marty.

The point (which you've obviously chosen to miss) is that we've had a lot of teams with = or > talent than the 2000 team. The difference was the guys refusing to lose. The guys wanting it.

Soonerwake
4/30/2012, 12:42 PM
So, now that we are back on topic, where does that desire come from? Is it already in the guys or can it be fostered by coaches, does it depend on player leaders???

Curly Bill
4/30/2012, 12:49 PM
So, now that we are back on topic, where does that desire come from? Is it already in the guys or can it be fostered by coaches, does it depend on player leaders???

Yes to all the above...

...but I think by and large some guys just have it, some guys don't, or not to the fullest extent. Get a bunch of guy that have that incredible desire and you got something special.

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 12:57 PM
i think some kids are there for the full ride, and a chance to play in the big leagues and all that other stuff really doesnt matter.......they're looking for a payday

if you dont have all your superstar studs on line - the class B players who are busting their as* wont make much difference

just my opinion - hope that wasnt too snarky

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 01:07 PM
Does anyone else ever feel like they're in a daycare center? Or maybe a nursing home when they're on this board?

olevetonahill
4/30/2012, 01:14 PM
Does anyone else ever feel like they're in a daycare center? Or maybe a nursing home when they're on this board?
I feel like I should be in a one every time I crap my pants .:barbershop_quartet_

Curly Bill
4/30/2012, 01:43 PM

I do feel that way, but at least you're here to be our gramps.

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 01:50 PM
Good ****ing thing too.

UberSooner
4/30/2012, 01:52 PM
Somebody already said it in an earlier post, everybody wants to win but its the rare individual that understands what preparation is needed + the commitment to fully prepare. Excecution is easy when you're prepared and impossible when you're not. I think in recent years the coaches have failed in understanding what areas needed greater preparation and the players weren't committed to do the work anyway. That's way over broad but I am hoping the players and coaches that have exited will improve our desire to win quotient.

Curly Bill
4/30/2012, 02:28 PM
Yup, what's the old saying about everybody wants to win, but not everyone wants to do the work necessary to win..

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2012, 02:30 PM
i remember several years ago fans were complaining about the lack of swagger....

i'm not sure what that is exactly - i guess you know it when you see it

i thought this team had a little of that last year until taco tech rolled into town

Curly Bill
4/30/2012, 02:35 PM
i remember several years ago fans were complaining about the lack of swagger....

i'm not sure what that is exactly - i guess you know it when you see it

i thought this team had a little of that last year until taco tech rolled into town

I think last year's team had False Swagger.

jumperstop
4/30/2012, 02:54 PM
Swagger is the area between confidence and cockiness. I think our team began drifting over to the cocky side last year.

oumartin
4/30/2012, 03:04 PM

kinda reminds ya of Dean huh

C&CDean
4/30/2012, 03:31 PM
I rest my case. Nap time marty. No animal crackers either.

OUinFLA
4/30/2012, 05:39 PM
I'm chosing the nursing home.
I''m too old for daycare.
I want my nap whenever I want my nap.

BigTip
4/30/2012, 07:29 PM
The sideline looked downright pathetic last year during the Baylor game.

Very true. Almost as pathetic as the distracted secondary. They looked like a bunch of 5 year old soccer players stopping to watch an airplane fly over. "HEY! They're about to hike the friggin ball! You wanna try looking towards them?!!" It was the strangest thing I have seen.

Lots of years we have had a chemistry, one you could almost feel through the TV. But last year I kept waiting for us to get it going, and we just never did. Didn't really dominate anyone. Those early 70-7 type wins, like seasons past, give the team some swagger. Ball State was a start, the * game was the apex, but it was a fluster cluck after that.

prrriiide
4/30/2012, 07:38 PM
I came across a list of great sports quotes the other day...here are a few on point:

Paul "Bear" Bryant - It’s not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.

Tommy Lasorda - The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Mark Spitz - If you fail to prepare, you're prepared to fail.

Lou Brock - Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

Joe Namath - If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?

Pat Riley - There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

AzianSooner
4/30/2012, 08:31 PM
I go "so how are we gonna do?" He goes; and I quote "the guys gotta want it. That simple. It ain't the coaches, it's the guys. They gotta want it."

There you have it. The players have to want it.

TIA.

yes Sir! back then I really really wanna it too. I joined every single party opened at student union. From Beta Gamma Sigma to Shake Peer Lover club.

I ended up going home with my bare hand and a lotion.

It's must be luck.. classmate told me.. Got to have luck.

Long live the American Pie.

SoonerObsession
4/30/2012, 08:55 PM
When I see the word "sooner" in any type of text, it gets my attention. When I see those uniforms, I get goosebumps. When I hear the word Christmas... I hear "Jiiiiiiiiiiiimany Christmas!!! When I hear Rogers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma", it makes me want to walk with my back arched like the drum major for the OU marching band. I just wish more of our players knew what it felt like to love Oklahoma Football as much as I do. We have talented players, but I wonder how many players we have that were always Sooner fans. I bet not even 25% were. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it is, but I think it matters in how bad players want it.

8timechamps
4/30/2012, 10:52 PM
When I see the word "sooner" in any type of text, it gets my attention. When I see those uniforms, I get goosebumps. When I hear the word Christmas... I hear "Jiiiiiiiiiiiimany Christmas!!! When I hear Rogers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma", it makes me want to walk with my back arched like the drum major for the OU marching band. I just wish more of our players knew what it felt like to love Oklahoma Football as much as I do. We have talented players, but I wonder how many players we have that were always Sooner fans. I bet not even 25% were. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it is, but I think it matters in how bad players want it.

I'm right there with you...but, I don't know if I was as in love with OU football when I was 18 as I am now. Some guys are, there's no doubt, but for some, it's a way to get to the NFL (and there's nothing in the world wrong with that either, just doesn't always mean they "want it" as much).

Talent doesn't always equal championships, and it's what makes college football more exciting to me than the NFL.

picasso
4/30/2012, 11:21 PM
Is Martin questioning whether or not TRRW wanted "it" when he was in Norman? Because if so that may be the stupidest ****ing thing I've read on this BBS.
He was quite possibly the best defensive player to ever suit up at OU. Who gives a crap about the pros.

jk the sooner fan
5/1/2012, 08:29 AM
well if a player wants it in college but doesnt want it when he's earning a paycheck - what does that say?

im' not saying TRRW didnt want it with the Cowboys - quite the contrary....if he took time off in practice during fall workouts - it was probably to save his shoulders for the full season

8timechamps
5/1/2012, 03:58 PM
Is Martin questioning whether or not TRRW wanted "it" when he was in Norman? Because if so that may be the stupidest ****ing thing I've read on this BBS.
He was quite possibly the best defensive player to ever suit up at OU. Who gives a crap about the pros.

I'm not sure martin even knows what he was saying. His only goal on this board is to stir the ****.

5/1/2012, 07:03 PM
The number of stars a recruit has worked against us in many cases.

Pre-infalated egos, NFL goals, etc.

WANTING it is key. Congrats with your new friendship. He was there and knows what it takes.