PDA

View Full Version : When will Boise St ever fall off?

ouwasp
4/28/2012, 12:48 AM
I'm sick of those media darlings, like most other Sooner fans. Yeah, I know they lost Moore and some other studs to the NFL, but look at their schedule (somebody else can post it)...

If Mich St doesn't get them in the opener, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them win 12 games again! Another fall of having to listen to the talking heads slobber over the blue bunch. :mad:

Somebody give me some hope.

agoo758
4/28/2012, 01:32 AM
I'll repeat this interesting fact: Since the "Upset of the Century" in the 2007 fiesta bowl, Diet Boise has only had one undefeated season, they haven't been as nearly as dominant as ESPN would want us to believe.

yermom
4/28/2012, 01:47 AM
yeah, but have they lost more than 1-2 games a year in any of those years?

they are still just a second thought to any real discussion though

sooneron
4/28/2012, 11:07 AM
They will when they consistently play major FBS programs. Not just one or two a season.

badger
4/28/2012, 11:39 AM
Since they're going Big East now, I do expect them to sink a bit a la Miami when they went to the ACC from the Big East. If the upgrade in schedule strength doesn't get them (Don't laugh! WAC opponents are sh!t tier compared to Big East!), the travel schedule might.

MamaMia
4/28/2012, 12:39 PM
I look it this way...They beat us real sneaky like. It was a total embarrassment when we really didn't need anymore embarrassments. After that the media went all gah gah over them, which being a Sooner fan is very annoying. So all I have left is hoping they will fall. The good news is that finally this year there is a good chance of that. It will be fun to watch them lose.

Salt City Sooner
4/28/2012, 01:54 PM
I look it this way...They beat us real sneaky like. It was a total embarrassment when we really didn't need anymore embarrassments. After that the media went all gah gah over them, which being a Sooner fan is very annoying. So all I have left is hoping they will fall. The good news is that finally this year there is a good chance of that. It will be fun to watch them lose.
Not really, IMO. Like Wasp said, they play MSU in the opener, but other than that, there's very little else on their schedule that one can say that they shouldn't beat, unless BYU or Nevada can pull a fast one:

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2012_schedules/boisestate.htm

8timechamps
4/28/2012, 03:57 PM
They will when they consistently play major FBS programs. Not just one or two a season.

THIS.

Watch TCU over the next 3-4 years, and you'll get an idea of what Boise would look like if they playing major programs on a consistent basis.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see TCU playing through a regular Big XII schedule with the same kind of success they were used to in the Mountain West/WAC.

Okie35
4/28/2012, 04:45 PM
THIS.

Watch TCU over the next 3-4 years, and you'll get an idea of what Boise would look like if they playing major programs on a consistent basis.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see TCU playing through a regular Big XII schedule with the same kind of success they were used to in the Mountain West/WAC.

TCU may be in the middle of the pack at first but they'll be able to run w/ the big boys in no time. They'll have more TV publicity and become more prestigious. They'll be able to snag more recruits, especially in Texas. The same will go for Boise State as far as prestige, if they do indeed go to the Big East. As a program I don't see either falling off. They may have one or two down seasons but then its right back into the mold.

8timechamps
4/28/2012, 08:59 PM
TCU may be in the middle of the pack at first but they'll be able to run w/ the big boys in no time. They'll have more TV publicity and become more prestigious. They'll be able to snag more recruits, especially in Texas. The same will go for Boise State as far as prestige, if they do indeed go to the Big East. As a program I don't see either falling off. They may have one or two down seasons but then its right back into the mold.

It's possible that they (TCU) will be toward the top of the conference in no time, I just don't think it'll happen. Sure, they'll be able to pick up Texas recruits, after Texas, OU, A&M, Bama, LSU and possibly Tech have their picks. I know TCU will be able to beat one or two of those teams head-to-head (for a recruit) on occasion, but not on a consistent basis.

As for Boise, they may have a tiny bit of prestige, however, it's always coupled with "yeah, but" because they don't play more than one really good/decent team a year. Moving to the Big East will change that marginally (just because overall the programs in the BE are better than the WAC). I'm not sure they can be the big dog in the Big East, let alone a major conference.

I could be completely wrong about all of this, and I do think TCU stands a better chance at success in the long term than Boise. I just think the "Big fish in a small pond / Small fish in a big pond" theory will play out for both schools in time.

BoulderSooner79
4/28/2012, 09:10 PM
Unlike most folks here, I have no problem with BSU. I like their style of play on both sides of the ball and they are exciting to watch (unless you just watch to hate). The trick play reputation is exaggerated; they run a couple per game but in reality, they are a power running club that stretches the field when they throw. And their defense is aggressive based on a strong D-line. I do think they have a rebuilding year this year and drop a couple regardless of their SOS. Has to happen eventually.

MamaMia
4/28/2012, 09:27 PM
Not really, IMO. Like Wasp said, they play MSU in the opener, but other than that, there's very little else on their schedule that one can say that they shouldn't beat, unless BYU or Nevada can pull a fast one:

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2012_schedules/boisestate.htm I think either BYU or Nevada may pull that fast one. Nevada did knock them out of the playoff recently. Plus, Boise has a new QB. Fresno State can be unpredictable. They are playing in Hawaii. Hopefully, they will give them a run for their money as well on top of the jet lag they'll have. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/pray.gif

Statalyzer
4/29/2012, 12:24 AM
I like their style of play on both sides of the ball and they are exciting to watch (unless you just watch to hate). The trick play reputation is exaggerated; they run a couple per game but in reality, they are a power running club that stretches the field when they throw.

Bingo.

They will when they consistently play major FBS programs

Most major FBS programs don't want to play them because it's a lose-lose situation. And the bowls seem intent on usually matching the non-AQ teams up with each other or with the weakest available AQ opponent rather than letting the fans see them take on the top schools.

Honestly, if the schedule alone made it that easy, there'd be a team from every minor conference doing it.

NMSooner'80
4/29/2012, 12:40 AM
I can't like them after sitting through the Fiasco Bowl. Our team's effort was embarrassing, and it was even worse to lose on trick plays. I had a bad feeling in the back of my mind that OU should have nixed the Pick-Six (even though that normally defies logic) and taken the ball at their 10 and run the clock down for a last-second field goal. As it played out, we left them too much time to pull out the win.

What's also made it unbearable for me is living in a place where the locals are still feasting on the so-called "giant upset." I've also heard too many anecdotes that the Potato Aggies have been come unbearable to deal with in general, since then (and not just for OU fans who have the misfortune of being in western Idaho and crossing paths with a mouthy BSU fan).

I also have gone on record as saying it's the most lied about (in the media) game in OU football history. The biggest upset is really Appy State at Michigan, but the Wolverines are one of those national media darling teams. Boise should have been insulted that they were the underdogs, since they were undefeated and ranked higher. But that takes away the "Cinderella Story" that causes me much nausea.

HAMTTX
4/29/2012, 05:40 AM
Please...it is a university with middle school entrance requirements. Located in an area of the country that does not have very much media exposure. This alone allows the players they need to get in, and be competitive. Without the fear some hack from the DMN is out there trying to uncover the newest scandal. It is the same with how everyone anoints Peterson's as some type of coaching genius, when in reality he is no different from Hawkins. Force him to play by the same rules the major conferences play by and he would be like most, a good coach, but not by any stretch a genius. Any school that allows mercenary tactics will have a good team. The media just chooses not to air that side of their program. Now understand, I am not saying that they do not have some fine athletes, only that they have a majority that would have a difficult time at any major university.

bluedogok
4/29/2012, 01:27 PM
Bingo.

Most major FBS programs don't want to play them because it's a lose-lose situation. And the bowls seem intent on usually matching the non-AQ teams up with each other or with the weakest available AQ opponent rather than letting the fans see them take on the top schools.

Honestly, if the schedule alone made it that easy, there'd be a team from every minor conference doing it.
They aren't as willing to "schedule anybody" as they claim. I remember a story last summer/fall in Austin about UT trying to schedule a game with them and Dodds basically stated that Boise wanted a "payday like" guarantee to come to Austin like the mid-level program they really are and they were not open to a 2 for 1 or even a home/home without the payday. Doesn't sound like the same level of "play anybody, anywhere" that Fresno seemed to live by for a lot of years.

picasso
4/29/2012, 02:05 PM
They nearly lost to Tulsa.

OU_Sooners75
4/29/2012, 02:34 PM
The bad thing about their move to the Big East....the best team(s) in that conference have left it. Boise will still walk through the Big East competition and get even more love.

badger
4/29/2012, 02:35 PM
They nearly lost to Tulsa.

I was at that game. It rained and it was cold. And yes, TU nearly pulled it off, or me and the other thousands in attendance on that weeknight game probably would have left much earlier.

cccasooner2
4/29/2012, 03:21 PM
I have no problems with the smurfs in blue but wish they could get rid of the orange. Two 1st round picks and six total drafted the last few days says the NFL thinks they are doing things right.

Scott D
4/29/2012, 09:11 PM
They'll be on probation within 3 years.

Salt City Sooner
4/29/2012, 11:48 PM
They aren't as willing to "schedule anybody" as they claim. I remember a story last summer/fall in Austin about UT trying to schedule a game with them and Dodds basically stated that Boise wanted a "payday like" guarantee to come to Austin like the mid-level program they really are and they were not open to a 2 for 1 or even a home/home without the payday. Doesn't sound like the same level of "play anybody, anywhere" that Fresno seemed to live by for a lot of years.
OU offered them a 2/1 in the off-season following the Fiesta encounter & Joe never heard a peep back from them; Nebbish offered them the same deal a year or 2 ago & got turned down flat, yet they agree to that deal with Michigan State. I'd like to know exactly what changed on their end.

8timechamps
4/29/2012, 11:54 PM
OU offered them a 2/1 in the off-season following the Fiesta encounter & Joe never heard a peep back from them; Nebbish offered them the same deal a year or 2 ago & got turned down flat, yet they agree to that deal with Michigan State. I'd like to know exactly what changed on their end.

The offer from MSU came along. That's what changed. Here's how the thought process went for Boises' AD "Hmm, play MSU, a decent, yet inconsistent program - or - Oklahoma, sure we beat them, but seriously, we don't stand a chance in their house....and Nebraska, see Oklahoma. Ok, Sprarty it is!"

BoulderSooner79
4/30/2012, 09:53 AM
The offer from MSU came along. That's what changed. Here's how the thought process went for Boises' AD "Hmm, play MSU, a decent, yet inconsistent program - or - Oklahoma, sure we beat them, but seriously, we don't stand a chance in their house....and Nebraska, see Oklahoma. Ok, Sprarty it is!"

They would have taken NU in most recent seasons.

Salt City Sooner
4/30/2012, 10:38 AM
They would have taken NU in most recent seasons.
THAT was the puzzling part of it. I can understand not wanting to come to Norman & get it handed to them, but NU has been very average for almost a decade now. They haven't lost less than 4 games in any year since 2003; Solich's last year there.

MamaMia
4/30/2012, 01:44 PM
So basically, Boise is too chicken to play a decent team on their own turf, even if its a home and home deal? Who all has tried to schedule them?

BoulderSooner79
4/30/2012, 03:45 PM
They had a home/home with the Ducks and won both. Beat both UGA and VT on the road - not world beaters, but good athletes and VT won their conference that year. Given the mostly 2 star guys that are available to them, BSU stacks up well. If they played in a bigger conference, they might get access to 3 and 4 star guys; hard to know with their location. But then again, I *never* understood how NU put together great squads given their location.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2012, 03:50 PM
Boise State hate is a little funny to me..I have to admit I used to a little until I stopped watching and listening to football talk television and radio..

They have been taking lower level players and developing some NFL talent..I say this every time a Boise discussion comes up, but they usually win the games they are supposed to, which I think is a big deal..Rarely see them lose a game where they are 30 point fav's....The way we say teams get up for OU, teams probably give Boise their best shot also..

soonerboy_odanorth
4/30/2012, 04:34 PM
Boise State hate is a little funny to me..I have to admit I used to a little until I stopped watching and listening to football talk television and radio..

They have been taking lower level players and developing some NFL talent..I say this every time a Boise discussion comes up, but they usually win the games they are supposed to, which I think is a big deal..Rarely see them lose a game where they are 30 point fav's....The way we say teams get up for OU, teams probably give Boise their best shot also..

See Santa Clara circa 1940's.

(P.S. Santa Clara were the Broncos, too. Maybe it's the mascot.)

NMSooner'80
5/1/2012, 09:08 AM

I don't think it has much to do with their success so much as it does the non-stop media love. But, I've even read in a west coast blog that Washington fans really hate them after the game out there in '07. And the Huskies, with then-freshman QB Jake Locker, won that game by two TD's. Apparently their fans were intolerable before, during and after that game.

And as for our game (Fiasco Bowl), it still grates on me that it's become the Good vs. Evil, starring OU as the Evil. And, having media hacks saying it was a storybook upset - wrong. They should start and end at the game I mentioned before - Appalachian State at Michigan. But ever since the Fiasco Bowl, you'd think that Boise rolled out Tiny Tim and his crutch from "A Christmas Carol" to save the day or something.

BoulderSooner79
5/1/2012, 09:46 AM
The only thing that irks me about the Fiesta bowl was how stupid we were. The hook and ladder should *never* work in that situation because it should be expected. Even letting them have the initial catch if fine, but the lateral guy should get drilled. The 2-point play would not be so bad, except they had run the same play during the season. That tells me the coaches with 5 weeks to prepare didn't watch film. A team doesn't usually run more than a handful of 2 points plays (or 4th and goal) during an entire season. Our guys should have recognized that formation instantly.

NMSooner'80
5/1/2012, 01:19 PM
The only thing that irks me about the Fiesta bowl was how stupid we were. The hook and ladder should *never* work in that situation because it should be expected. Even letting them have the initial catch if fine, but the lateral guy should get drilled. The 2-point play would not be so bad, except they had run the same play during the season. That tells me the coaches with 5 weeks to prepare didn't watch film. A team doesn't usually run more than a handful of 2 points plays (or 4th and goal) during an entire season. Our guys should have recognized that formation instantly.

Agree fully on how stupid we were as a team. And that did apparently include some overconfidence, which is completely unacceptable no matter who OU is playing.

The "stupid factor" is why I got the heck off of I-17 the mornng after the game, en route to Sedona with my dad, to find a breakfast spot. We went about three miles east (but thinking there was a Taco Cabana on Bell Ave., east of the freeway) before we figured we were safe (from BSU fans' ridicule).

NMSooner'80
5/2/2012, 01:46 PM
I also think it'd be interesting if they ever played two really good BCS teams in the same month. That way, they couldn't game-plan for one team for several months, then let overall superiority get them through the rest of their season (except TCU took care of that last fall in mid-season). :welcoming:

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2012, 06:12 AM
The bad thing about their move to the Big East....the best team(s) in that conference have left it. Boise will still walk through the Big East competition and get even more love.
I don't know that I would say that all the good teams have left...USF is still a pretty good program and Skip Holtz has the team recruiting better players every year.

Louisville and UConn are certainly upgrades over the current competition that BSU plays

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2012, 06:13 AM
So basically, Boise is too chicken to play a decent team on their own turf, even if its a home and home deal? Who all has tried to schedule them?
The rumors that I have heard is that Boise wants $1M for a home and home!!

Salt City Sooner
5/3/2012, 01:19 PM
The rumors that I have heard is that Boise wants $1M for a home and home!!
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I know that back in '08, Ball State tried to jack OU for the same amount to come to Norman for a 1 & off, & to say that they're a lesser brand than Boise is an understatement of epic proportions. Joe told them what they could do with that number, & here came Chattanooga.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2012, 06:29 PM
For the record, I had no trouble w the BSU Cinderella fans and i was at the game They were stoked but pretty cool. Hell we didn't even play the first half. Still, it was a palm to the forehead after the trick plays and the damned proposal???!?!?!! Are they divorced yet?????

Colorado. Worst fans ever. And yes I went to the sugar bowl.

5/3/2012, 07:02 PM
Sure, they'll be able to pick up Texas recruits, after Texas, OU, A&M, Bama, LSU and possibly Tech have their picks.

Perfectly applied use of "possibly".

If TCU beats, say... K State or ISU, or especially one of the traditional majors, Fech is but a speck on the recruiting windshield.

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 07:34 PM
Perfectly applied use of "possibly".

If TCU beats, say... K State or ISU, or especially one of the traditional majors, Fech is but a speck on the recruiting windshield.

It hurt to even include Tech, so the best I could do was a "possibly". I also agree that they are hanging on by a thread (in the recruiting world). Right now, they hang their hats on beating us and Texas occasionally....when/if TCU steps up and beats one of the big boys, Tech moves down on the totem poll.

5/3/2012, 07:45 PM
I agree, brother. TCU becomes the new Tech in one season if they win at all. If they beat Fexas, Katy bar the door. We'll be fighting for a few Dallas area recruits.

That said, I like OUr chances.

5/3/2012, 07:48 PM
I could have included us in that equation, but... No.

The move was huge for TCU, and good for them. I hope it awakens a huge North Texas market for us.

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 07:52 PM
I could have included us in that equation, but... No.

The move was huge for TCU, and good for them. I hope it awakens a huge North Texas market for us.

Too late...North Texas just built a new stadium...it's all gonna be Mean Green from here on out!

:D

Eielson
5/3/2012, 07:56 PM
I'm busy enough right now that I shouldn't even be on here, so I didn't read the thread, but I will answer the question...

When they join a real conference.

8timechamps
5/3/2012, 08:01 PM
I'm busy enough right now that I shouldn't even be on here, so I didn't read the thread, but I will answer the question...

When they join a real conference.

End of thread.

:D

5/3/2012, 08:01 PM
They is an enigma.

I have to lump them into the "Any team that got in our way of a championship" category.

I hope they burn out.

Quickly.

diverdog
5/4/2012, 09:13 AM
I think the biggest thing that happens when you play in a major conference is injuries. You just do not go through a SEC or Big 12 schedule without getting beat up. Look how many games we have showed up to where we have 3-5 starters out for the year. And many of them are skill positions.

I firmly believe had we shown up with completely healthy teams against LSU, UF and BS we would have won all three bowl games.